PDA

View Full Version : Canseco maybe right again

icehole3
07-31-2009, 07:37 AM
He's saying Baseball and Selig has a steroid user in the Hall of Fame already and guess who it is? My guess is

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/golfinleft/Rickey%20pics/Chong1977.jpg

http://www.letrickeyplay.com/rickey-base.jpg

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

princeton
07-31-2009, 07:41 AM
moi aussi

icehole3
07-31-2009, 08:08 AM
my french isnt that great since I havent taken it in 40 years, doesnt that mean "me too"???

oneupper
07-31-2009, 08:10 AM
my french isnt that great since I havent taken it in 40 years, doesnt that mean "me too"???

No. Princeton thinks it's someone "more Australian" :)

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 08:15 AM
Henderson was my first thought too.

I suspect there may be more than one in the HOF that has used it too.

redsfandan
07-31-2009, 08:16 AM
He backtracked a little in this interview:
http://www.950espn.com/Audio/tabid/183/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/4271/Jose-Canseco.aspx

Eric_the_Red
07-31-2009, 08:43 AM
I mentioned to my step-father that I thought Ricky Hernderson was a prime steroids candidate as he was giving his HOF speech. He played in Oakland, the epi-center of the PED explosion, with some of the prime suspects, and he stayed in the game until the age of 44.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if there are other HOFers, or soon to be HOFers, that used steroids but retired before spotlight was directed at them.

Jpup
07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
It would not surprise me, but Henderson has been ripped since very early in his career even as far back as high school.

Always Red
07-31-2009, 09:52 AM
It would not surprise me, but Henderson has been ripped since very early in his career even as far back as high school.

I always thought of Rickey as a prototypical NFL tailback who just happened to have an awesome ability to hit a baseball as well.

westofyou
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Henderson was my first thought too.

I suspect there may be more than one in the HOF that has used it too.

I bet a certain guy with a Moe Howard haircut also used. But I really don't care if he did.

westofyou
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM

Yep the A's trainer used to say that he had incredibly low body fat way back in the 80's.

Scrap Irony
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Perhaps only second person Ricky used PEDS, while 1st and 3rd person Ricky were clean. That might explain why he rarely ever used the 2nd person in his interviews.

macro
07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Perhaps only second person Ricky used PEDS, while 1st and 3rd person Ricky were clean. That might explain why he rarely ever used the 2nd person in his interviews.

:lol:

MWM
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM

Funniest thing I've read on here in a long time. I about spit my water out when I read it. Nice work.

wheels
07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
Some folks would have nothing to post about were it not for Pete and PEDs.

Yawn.

Dom Heffner
07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I bet a certain guy with a Moe Howard haircut also used. But I really don't care if he did.

Ah, the law breaking in the Erin Andrews case gets to some (rightfully so) but law breaking here is of no concern.

It's good to see the baseball historians have thrown the steroid era in along with the raised pitcher's mound and Gaylord Perry's spitballs.

When a scandal such as this improves Pete's Hall chances, I think we're sort of in trouble.

And you know I respect you WOY- you're my favorite guy on here, you really are. You're presence here is wonderfully undeniable.

I just can't thrown up my hands and say, "Steroids smeroids."

If the game that you study and live for can be reduced to this.....

westofyou
07-31-2009, 11:11 AM
Ah, the law breaking in the Erin Andrews case gets to some (rightfully so) but law breaking here is of no concern.

It's good to see the baseball historians have thrown the steroid era in along with the raised pitcher's mound and Gaylord Perry's spitballs.

When a scandal such as this improves Pete's Hall chances, I think we're sort of in trouble.

IF Pete juiced, it was in the 80's.

So was he breaking a rule at that time?

I don't think so.

Dom Heffner
07-31-2009, 11:37 AM

I don't think so.

A rule or a law?

Or- should it even matter?

I mean, it's not against the law to flip someone off or cheat on your wife, but should you go around doing it, all the while saying, "There's no rule against it?"

To look at the baseball rule book where any kind of alterations to equipment to gain a competitive advantage is against the rules, and then to suggest that the altering of one's body by chemicals that are illegal would somehow be acceptable becuase there is no rule against such a thing- I mean, this flies in the face of common sense.

Here's one for you: If it was not against the rules, then why didn't people just come out and say they did them?

Hmmm.....

deltachi8
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM

I don't think so.

It is also my understanding that they did not become listed as a controlled substance until 1990. I could be wrong though.

I guess I just don't get all the hand wringing over the steroid era. It happened and is part of the history of the game. MLB did not have black players for years, does that mean all the records prior to 1947 should be thrown out? Or do we acknowledge it was there, was wrong, and move forward and correct it?

westofyou
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM
A rule or a law?

Or- should it even matter?

I mean, it's not against the law to flip someone off or cheat on your wife, but should you go around doing it, all the while saying, "There's no rule against it?"

To look at the baseball rule book where any kind of alterations to equipment to gain a competitive advantage is against the rules, and then to suggest that the altering of one's body by chemicals that are illegal would somehow be acceptable becuase there is no rule against such a thing- I mean, this flies in the face of common sense.

Here's one for you: If it was not against the rules, then why didn't people just come out and say they did them?

Hmmm.....

I'm of the mind that professionals in teh area of sports will take every chance they can to getr an edge. This isn't the games on Mount Olympus, it's big money baseball and even in the past the money was good compared to the everyman.

That said here's the first guy known to look for a medical edge

://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5314753

In 1889, a Pittsburgh pitcher named Jim "Pud" Galvin became the first baseball player to be widely known for using a performance enhancer. (He was nicknamed "Pud" because his pitching supposedly turned opposing batters into "pudding" -- much like Barry Bonds' brain.) Before pitching a game against Boston, Pud used something called the elixir of Brown-Sequard... essentially testosterone drained from the gonads of an animal. And, low and behold, the juiced-up Galvin won.

NPR's Luke Burbank has the scoop this morning, and the amazing thing is that no one seemed to mind the use of performance enhancers back then. The Washington Post all but pushed the drug in an article from 1889:

"If there still be doubting Thomases who concede no virtue of the elixir, they are respectfully referred to Galvin's record in yesterday's Boston-Pittsburgh game. It is the best proof yet furnished of the value of the discovery."

Dom Heffner
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Just wow.

This reminds me of the people who say, "Well, you know, George Washington used marijuana..."

Listen- if you want to compare a drug made in 1889 to what we have now, then we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I'm not doubting that people have always wanted to cheat- human nature doesn't change over time.

Again, if there's nothing wrong with it and there was no policy, why would Manny Ramirez ever deny using steroids?

Here's what Manny did: while A-rod was twisting in the wind, he added that he himself was "never tempted" to take steroids.

Once caught, he claimed that he didn't kill or rape anybody, so what's the big deal.

The justifications are endless.

And again, if there's nothing wrong with it, no policy against it, and some guy back in the late 19th century took some pills, why not just come clean?

I wonder if some player finds a way to insert a bionic chip in his wrist that makes his bat speed increase ten-fold, doesn't tell anybody about it, and becomes the greatest hitter of all time, we'll be reading about some dude in the 1890s that took a pill to say it was all okay and what's the big deal.

Is there a policy in baseball against a bionic arm? Would it be okay for people to get them becuase there isn't?

BuckeyeRedleg
07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
No offense, but this comes off as somewhat self righteous, especially considering your avatar and signature are dedicated to a man that died from a heroin and cocaine overdose.

Maybe he was only funny when he was high.

LvJ
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I think Tony Gwynn did it. All his teammates at the time were.

RedsBaron
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM

I don't think so.
As I understand it, the illicit use of steroids generally violated federal law at least since 1990, so even if those players who used steroids after that date were not violating a baseball rule they were violating federal law. I think that it shouldn't be necessary for MLB to have a regulation stating that the violation of federal law in an effort to gain a competitive edge upon an opponent is not allowed.
I love Donald Fehr's recent outrage about the crime that has been committed in the release of the names on the list of players who tested positive in 2003. Mind you, Fehr is right--the names should not be released in violation of a court order. Mind you, Fehr is also a hypocritical jerk--he fought against players being clean and enabled those players who jiuced to gain an edge of those who stayed clean and never said anything about players violating federal law in the use of steroids.