PDA

View Full Version : Happy Juan Guzman Day!

klw
07-31-2009, 08:54 AM
On this the annual non-waiver trading deadline day, older Reds fans gather the young ones around and spin yarns of the team going after the player who may bring true their playoff hopes. Then in a tradition taken from Festivus they put up a sheet of paper and list their grievances against their general manager and organization they love.

edabbs44
07-31-2009, 08:56 AM
:laugh:

Eric_the_Red
07-31-2009, 08:58 AM
A day I'll never forget in a season I'll never forget.

To Juan- Phew! Thanks for everything. - Jolly no more
:beerme:

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 09:13 AM
June 15th used to be the trading deadline. I always thought of that date as Tom Seaver Day. :)

BCubb2003
07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
June 15th used to be the trading deadline. I always thought of that date as Tom Seaver Day. :)

Can you imagine having to decide if you're sellers by June 15?

macro
07-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Same here. I don't think that date ever rolls around that I don't think about the Seaver trade, at least in passing. Even today, I still stop and stare when I see a picture of Seaver in a Reds uniform.

As for other deadline deals, wasn't David Wells one in 1995?

wheels
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I remember Guzman didn't have shoes for his first start. He pitched in shoes that were a size too small.

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Same here. I don't think that date ever rolls around that I don't think about the Seaver trade, at least in passing. Even today, I still stop and stare when I see a picture of Seaver in a Reds uniform.

As for other deadline deals, wasn't David Wells one in 1995?

June 15th was also my parents anniversary. They celebrated 61 years together before my dad passed nearly 4 years ago.

Getting Seaver was just something that was unbelievable at the time. He was considered the best pitcher in the game then. When the Reds got him it just seemed like it was inevitable they would come back and win the division. Of course we know the story. :) They didn't and only made the playoffs once,1979, while he was here.
At least the Reds were trying then. Now,well.........:(

corkedbat
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Can you imagine having to decide if you're sellers by June 15?

Might have got a bite on Arroyo/Harag is we had to move them by June 15, but management would have been sure this lot was a "contender".