PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo thinks he could be on "the list"

flyer85
07-31-2009, 10:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4368436

Bronson Arroyo, a former Boston Red Sox teammate of Manny Ramirez and David Ortiz, said he would not be surprised to find his name on a list of 104 ballplayers who tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003, as he had heard a then-legal supplement he was using was tainted with steroids, the Boston Herald reported.

Arroyo, according to the report, said he does not know if Ortiz and Ramirez, who were identified in a New York Times story as also being among the 104 players testing positive in 2003, were taking anything -- or if so, what it was. He said his knowledge of what his teammates did ended at the clubhouse door. But he does not believe that their accomplishments should be diminished as a result.

"In my mind, I think you have to lump the whole era together," Arroyo said, according to the report. "A lot of people were doing it, a lot weren't. I think pitchers probably gained three or four mph on their pitches and power hitters got some more power.

"But guys like David and Manny, if they did something, it didn't make them who they were. Did it make them a little better? Probably," Arroyo said, according to the report.

Ortiz said he had confirmed through the players union that he tested positive in 2003. He said that came as a surprise to him and that he will say more about the subject when he knows more.

Ramirez, who served a 50-game suspension for violating the league's drug policy, declined to address the Times report, referring inquiries to the players union. Ramirez's specific violation for that ban was never announced, but sources have told ESPN that testing during spring training this year revealed elevated levels of testosterone that had come from an artificial source.

Arroyo, who pitched for the Red Sox from 2003-05 and is now a starter with the Cincinnati Reds, said he took androstenedione, which was banned in 2004, as well as amphetamines, which were banned in 2006, according to the Herald report. He said he gave up taking andro, a steroid precursor, when a rumor spread through baseball that due to lax production standards, some of it was laced with steroids.

Mandatory testing for performance-enhancing drugs in Major League Baseball began in 2004.

"Before 2004, none of us paid any attention to anything we took," he said, according to the Herald. "Now they don't want us to take anything unless it's approved. But back then, who knows what was in stuff? The FDA wasn't regulating stuff, not unless it was killing people or people were dying from it."

Arroyo said he started taking taking andro after 1998, after a season with the Pirates' Double-A affiliate. "Andro made me feel great, I felt like a monster. I felt like I could jump and hit my head on the basketball rim," he said, according to the report.

Arroyo said he is happy the game now has mandatory drug testing, according to the Herald.

"I feel like the game's getting cleared up," he said, according to the report. "Personally, I don't care what people think about what I did. I do what I do."

TRF
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Interesting that he decided to come out before anymore names were leaked. Way to head the story off at the pass.

top6
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
"Before 2004, none of us paid any attention to anything we took," he said, according to the Herald. "Now they don't want us to take anything unless it's approved. But back then, who knows what was in stuff? The FDA wasn't regulating stuff, not unless it was killing people or people were dying from it."

Now, if this didn't say "2004", you would think he was talking about, like, 1910. What the heck is he talking about? It was 2004, and he was a professional athlete making millions of dollars, with sophisticated trainers and doctors at his beck and call. There is no way these people didn't know what they were putting in their own bodies, unless they chose to remain ignorant.

Highlifeman21
07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
We should definitely void his contract and cut him if this is true!

Az Red
07-31-2009, 10:22 AM
Ignorance is bliss.

Scrap Irony
And largely, many would want to remain ignorant. Arroyo strikes me as the type to take whatever the trainer puts in his hand. And I'm betting many, many trainers put bad, bad stuff in athelte's hands. (And other areas, for that matter.)

Degenerate39
He needs to get back on it

RANDY IN INDY
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
I like his candidness.

REDREAD
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Now, if this didn't say "2004", you would think he was talking about, like, 1910. What the heck is he talking about? It was 2004, and he was a professional athlete making millions of dollars, with sophisticated trainers and doctors at his beck and call. There is no way these people didn't know what they were putting in their own bodies, unless they chose to remain ignorant.

Yep, it's a load of baloney that they "didn't know what they were taking".
You've got to be kidding me.

I really don't like how he's defending Rameriez and Ortiz either. Especially Rameriez who just got caught again recently. How many times can a player play the ignorant jock card? It just doesn't work.

jojo
07-31-2009, 10:53 AM
I believe that andro from GNC could be laced with gosh knows what..... If childrens toys from China are laced with GHB and drywall with carcinogens that the military wished they had access to in Vietnam, why would one think that andro or even an amino acid supplement would be pure if it was coming out of asia/india (which is where alot of GNC stuff comes from).

Still if you like how andro makes you feel invincible and you've admitted to taking amphetamines......

blumj
07-31-2009, 11:05 AM
He was a professional athlete, but the rest of that characterization hardly applies to Bronson Arroyo before 2004.

top6
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
He was a professional athlete, but the rest of that characterization hardly applies to Bronson Arroyo before 2004.

Fair enough, he hadn't reached free agency, but he still had the training staff of the Reds Sox at his disposal, and I doubt the healthcare plan for MLB players is too shabby.

deltachi8
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
Burn Him!

http://www.freewebs.com/witchcrafttrail/monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

kaldaniels
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Interesting that he decided to come out before anymore names were leaked. Way to head the story off at the pass.

He's always seemed to be a stand-up guy.

RedsManRick
07-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I think it's great that players are taking the lead now. I think we've finally hit the inflection point where the players are more concerned about being dismissed out of hand based on people's assumptions than because of their actions. I don't know if we'll ever see the full list, but this transparency is a very good thing.

Eric_the_Red
07-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Of course he used them. Look how pumped he got later in his career:

http://www.homeruncards.com/imagesrc/bronson-arroyo.jpg

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/gennaro_filice/07/13/fiveup.fivedown/t1_arroyo.jpg

;)

cumberlandreds
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM

He's very smart to do this. Anyone who knows or thinks his name is on the list should come clean. All the names will be out eventually.

LvJ
07-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Props to him for coming out and admitting what he took.

I'm still a fan. Arroyo tells it like it is.

Dom Heffner
07-31-2009, 11:55 AM

Yeah, saying you "think" you took something that was legal but was tainted with illegal steroids is really owning up.

And this is something nobody should care about, really.

They all were doing it.

Red Heeler
07-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Until the PED issue brought it to light, I don't think that most people realized that the "supplement" industry is completely unregulated. You can press grass clippings into a tablet and sell them as a "all natural male enhancement" if you like. A few years back, Texas A&M did a study on OTC glucosamine prducts. They basically went to WalMart and bought one of each "joint health" supplements. Exactly none of the products had the ingredients on the label at the concentrations listed on the label. Say what you want about big government, but some consumer protection is necessary.

jojo
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM

He's a modern day Woodie Guthrie.

LvJ
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
He's a modern day Woodie Guthrie. :bowrofl: Oh, for sure.

LvJ
07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Yeah, saying you "think" you took something that was legal but was tainted with illegal steroids is really owning up.

And this is something nobody should care about, really.

They all were doing it.

Oh, well... true. I was just referring to this: "said he took androstenedione, which was banned in 2004, as well as amphetamines, which were banned in 2006"

savafan
07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I believe it could be possible that players didn't know what they were taking.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/24/sports/24steroids.html?hpw

By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT and NATASHA SINGER
Published: July 23, 2009
Two over-the-counter dietary supplements that anti-doping officials say are popular among high school football players contain steroids, according to court papers filed by federal authorities on Thursday.

The supplements, Tren Xtreme and Mass Xtreme, are manufactured by American Cellular Labs and marketed as a “potent legal alternative to” steroids. But authorities alleged in search warrants executed on Thursday that the supplements contain illegal man-made steroids, also known as designer steroids. One of the substances is Madol, which was first identified six years ago during the investigation into the Bay Area Laboratory Co-operative.

The authorities said that Max Muscle, a walk-in supplement store with about 100 locations nation-wide, paid American Cellular Labs to be the exclusive retailer of these products, which could also be purchased on the Internet.

Maurice Sandoval, identified in the court documents as American Cellular’s chief executive, said in a telephone interview that he never personally sold steroids but declined to comment on whether the company had sold steroids. He said he sold the company last year but that a paperwork error kept his name on the company.

Someone who answered the phone Thursday at Max Muscle’s corporate office in Anaheim, Calif., said no one was available to comment on how many Max Muscle stores carried the American Cellular products. “This is not our product,” said the man, who would not give his name and hung up.

On Thursday, the Web site of a Max Muscle outlet in Des Moines was offering a promotion of Tren Xtreme for free, but a salesman who answered the phone there said the store no longer sold the brand.

Travis Tygart, the head of the United States Anti-Doping Agency, said the substance helped athletes quickly gain muscle mass and strength.

“This is the supplement of choice for high school football players, and we have heard that from more than one source,” Tygart said. “It’s one of the more popular dietary supplements for these athletes because it works.”

Tygart declined to estimate how many high school athletes had used the product.

The investigation into American Cellular Labs is led by Jeff Novitzky, an agent for the Food and Drug Administration, and prosecutors from the United States attorney’s office for the Northern District of California. Since 2002, Novitzky has become the face of the government’s investigations into the distribution of performance-enhancing drugs.

The F.D.A. did not return calls seeking comment on the investigation.

The search warrants were executed at a Muscle Max store in the Castro section of San Francisco and at Sandoval’s residence in Pacifica, Calif. Another search warrant was executed on the office of WVM Global Incorporated, in Lake Forest, Calif., which authorities believe is an associated business to American Cellular.

The F.D.A. has jurisdiction over dietary supplements, defined as products that can offer general health benefits but cannot claim to treat specific diseases or symptoms.

Manufacturers of dietary supplements are responsible for ensuring and documenting the safety and efficacy claims of their products. According to the law governing dietary supplements, the F.D.A. is empowered to act only in cases when it identifies a harmful or adulterated product that is already on sale.

But if federal authorities find a supplement to contain an undeclared active pharmaceutical ingredient like a steroid, the agency considers the product to be an illegal, unapproved drug.

Illegal steroids are of particular concern in preteen and teenage boys, doctors said, because artificially high levels of testosterone can stop their bones from growing.

Steroids are organic compounds, like hormones, naturally produced by the body. They are also used as legal drugs to treat conditions like testosterone deficiency. Athletes have also used illegal forms of steroids for performance enhancement.

Investigators grew concerned over sports products made by American Cellular Labs after the F.D.A. received reports of severe liver and kidney problems in people who had used the two products, according to court documents.

In one case, a liver transplant doctor reported that a 38-year-old male patient who had used these products was later hospitalized with severe liver dysfunction and acute kidney failure which needed to be treated with dialysis, the documents said.

Legal steroid drugs come with health risks. But unknowingly taking supplements that contain illegal compounded steroids is even riskier because such drugs entail unknown risks, said Dr. Pieter Cohen, an instructor at the Harvard Medical School who is studying the dangers of adulterated dietary supplements.

For example, when doctors prescribe testosterone for men who have a testosterone deficiency, physicians monitor the patients closely because such steroids can lead to higher-than-normal hormone levels, potentially putting patients at risk for prostate cancer.

But taking designer steroids in a sports supplement is even more dangerous for people, he said, because these compounds have not been studied for safety.

“It’s placing the consumer at very serious risk of harm because there is absolutely no research showing that this new compound is safe in humans,” said Cohen, a general internist at the Cambridge Health Alliance, a network of public hospitals in Massachusetts. “We do have evidence that, in the past, analogs of pharmaceutical compounds have led to unexpected life-threatening disease such as liver failure that required transplantation.”

RedsBaron
07-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, there goes Arroyo's chances of making the Hall of Fame. ;)

Matt700wlw
07-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Arroyo should try to get a refund

westofyou
07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
I wonder what drug he took to do those JTM commercials?

RFS62
07-31-2009, 08:42 PM

I'd have to think he was talking to Mescalito.

nate
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

Saltpeter?

UKFlounder
07-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Probably the one that's green and white and to which many of us are addicted or often crave...