PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo admits using Andro and Amphetamines

improbus
07-31-2009, 10:08 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4368436

He is not necessarily the archetype for a user, but in the end, who really is? I love Arroyo's statment towards the end of the article

Arroyo said he started taking taking andro after 1998, after a season with the Pirates' Double-A affiliate. "Andro made me feel great, I felt like a monster. I felt like I could jump and hit my head on the basketball rim," he said, according to the report.

Arroyo said he is happy the game now has mandatory drug testing, according to the Herald.

"I feel like the game's getting cleared up," he said, according to the report. "Personally, I don't care what people think about what I did. I do what I do."

That's like Michael Vick saying, "Well, it was a dog-fighting era. Everyone was on board and doing it, so it wasn't a big deal. But, I'm glad that they're now sending guys to jail.

schmidty622
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Was Andro a banned substance at the time? It is a legal substance I believe.

improbus
07-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Was Andro a banned substance at the time? It is a legal substance I believe.

Arroyo is using the "I used it until it was banned" story, (ala A-Rod). It was officially banned in 2004.

ochoa30
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
I think he's positive his name is on this list, and he chose to come out right now because it will get lost in the manny/ortiz hoopla. Probably smart for him but he cheated, no excuses.

improbus
07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
Arroyo is taking the Andy Pettitte approach as opposed to the Clemens approach to this thing. This is a smart PR/Marketing move and will win him some sympathy/public opinion points but it doesn't change the fact that he was a cheater. It always bothered me that Clemens was vilified and Pettitte never took the full brunt of the media/public.

DTCromer
07-31-2009, 10:36 AM
This will be the biggest non-story, story of the week.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Sweet maybe he should start taking speed again so he can stop sucking after his month long parties during the baseball season.

BuckeyeRed27
07-31-2009, 10:49 AM
I don't see how this is a story. Isn't that the exact same thing that McGwire took and everybody didn't care about. Plus I'm pretty sure you can walk into any GNC and buy that right now. It's not illegal.

If this is the type of stuff that was landing people on "the list" than this whole thing is dumb. All I care about is if people were taking illlegal steroids. Just because MLB is making an effort to clean up the game and get rid of all of this stuff now doesn't mean these guys cheated. Quite the opposite in my opinion.

texasdave
07-31-2009, 10:56 AM
I just read an article that stated Andro is now a banned substance and it is illegal to possess it. It has been on the banned substance list, according to the article, since 2005.

On October 8th, 2004 after months of delays and political maneuvering, the US Senate passed Senate Bill 2195 also called the "Andro Ban" This bill was signed into law by President Bush. This new law made it illegal to manufacture or buy most of the supplements we have all known as "andro". As of January 2005, all of these products were deemed illegal for sale or possession.

My only real question is this. How will we be able to tell if Arroyo is being booed because he used Andro or because he just got lit up again?

BuckeyeRed27
07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
I just read an article that stated Andro is now a banned substance and it is illegal to possess it. It has been on the banned substance list, according to the article, since 2005.

My only real question is this. How will we be able to tell if Arroyo is being booed because he used Andro or because he just got lit up again?

Fair enough, but still he didn't do anything illegal when he did it. If he got caught doing it this week that's a very different thing than saying he did it while it was perfectly legal.

When it is the type of stuff that Palimero or Manny tested positive for that's a big deal.

Girevik
07-31-2009, 11:09 AM
The funny thing is that from what I've heard Andro pretty much came and went as a body building supplement....it was pretty much found to be worthless. Then it hit's the big time when McGuire is found to be using it (when it's a legal, over the counter supplement not banned by baseball) and all heck breaks loose.

Jack Burton
07-31-2009, 11:32 AM
This is the definition of pathetic, can't put it into words how much of a joke this guy is. Freaking sally was still terrible even though he was juicing.

texasdave
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
My problem with this is that the admissions ring a little hollow to me. They seem like partial admissions. The player only admits to what he absolutely has to. "Tip of the iceberg" admissions, so to speak. I only used it up until it was banned. I only used it once. I bought it but changed my mind and never used it. I didn't know what I was taking. Apologizing to the fans for (blank), but not saying what (blank) is.
And so on. It just seems to me we are getting a glimpse of the truth. So if a Bronson Arroyo says he only took Andro back in the day, can we really be sure? Considering the grudging manner of admissions to this point I am skeptical.
My feeling is that if these names weren't leaking off this list, Bronson would not have said a word about his usage. So while what he stated may be the truth, I am not so sure if it the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

improbus
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
My problem with this is that the admissions ring a little hollow to me. They seem like partial admissions. The player only admits to what he absolutely has to. "Tip of the iceberg" admissions, so to speak. I only used it up until it was banned. I only used it once. I bought it but changed my mind and never used it. I didn't know what I was taking. Apologizing to the fans for (blank), but not saying what (blank) is.
And so on. It just seems to me we are getting a glimpse of the truth. So if a Bronson Arroyo says he only took Andro back in the day, can we really be sure? Considering the grudging manner of admissions to this point I am skeptical.
My feeling is that if these names weren't leaking off this list, Bronson would not have said a word about his usage. So while what he stated may be the truth, I am not so sure if it the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

:thumbup: My favorite was the Pettitte excuse of, "I was doing HGH to get back quicker to help my team." Classic stuff.

Fullboat
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I bet the only three people to not test positive on the 03-04 Red Sox was the manager,bench coach
and pitching coach..........That's why they were hitting like the 27 Yankees.:rolleyes:

mroby85
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM
Who cares? Almost everyone in baseball used performance enhancers, so lets just move on and forget about it. If it was that big of an issue they should've had a stricter testing policy back then. I think people sit around and automatically think because you inject something you automatically turn into Barry Bonds, which isn't the case at all. I'm sure it helps players to some extent, but I think it's blown out of proportion. I think it's just time to put it in the past, and stop dragging players through the mud over it.

BuckeyeRed27
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM

In many cases I think you can be sure. Bronson Arroyo hasn't used Andro or anything else that they can test for since 03. He has been tested probably 50 times since then and has never been suspended for a postive test. Now it's certainly possible the he or somone else is taking HGH or a masking agent or something like that isn't testable, but that's a different story.

BluegrassRedleg
07-31-2009, 03:17 PM
Kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye.

gilpdawg
07-31-2009, 03:37 PM
The funny thing is that from what I've heard Andro pretty much came and went as a body building supplement....it was pretty much found to be worthless. Then it hit's the big time when McGuire is found to be using it (when it's a legal, over the counter supplement not banned by baseball) and all heck breaks loose.
Yeah, but McGwire didn't actually take Andro. That was just subterfuge so he had an excuse as to why he was huge as a house.

Jerome
07-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Arroyo is taking the Andy Pettitte approach as opposed to the Clemens approach to this thing. This is a smart PR/Marketing move and will win him some sympathy/public opinion points but it doesn't change the fact that he was a cheater. It always bothered me that Clemens was vilified and Pettitte never took the full brunt of the media/public.

Clemens was vilified because he invited the controversy. He acted like a d-bag. Pettite at least seems like a good guy.

BSUFB
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Is it just me, but I do not care about steriods and how took them and they should never be rooted for again, you must boo them whenever they come on the field. Who REALLY cares? The steriod summer of McGwire and Sosa was so much fun to watch always seeing if one could catch the other. I say let them all do it.

Jack Burton
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Kiss the Hall of Fame goodbye.

Classic.

Girevik
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, but McGwire didn't actually take Andro. That was just subterfuge so he had an excuse as to why he was huge as a house.

I'm not saying that McGuire didn't take anything OTHER than andro (I was the one saying back when everyone was talking about "juiced balls" that I thought it was the players that were jucied, not the balls), just saying that most bodybuilders realized andro was worthles while the press was still ranting on and on about how McGuire was "using" a perfectly leagal supplement. And that even with Arroyo was taken andro it's pretty much been proven to have no effect anyway.

improbus
07-31-2009, 11:19 PM
Clemens was vilified because he invited the controversy. He acted like a d-bag. Pettite at least seems like a good guy.
D-baggery aside, their crime was the same and they should be treated the same way.

Put it this way, Bonds has spent the last 8-10 years taking a pounding in the media for the exact same thing that hundreds of other players did. I'm not saying that I feel sorry for Barry, he made his own bed, but Barry was crucified while hundreds of other players like Ortiz were worshiped, even though they were all crooks. Bonds simply made the mistake of destroying sacred records and being a jerk while doing it. If Bonds had been a smiling, loving, happy go lucky guy, how would we view him? The same goes for Pettitte vs. Clemens.

Jack Burton
08-01-2009, 05:06 PM
He said he took it to help with the growth of his woman hair.

FlyerFanatic
08-01-2009, 05:10 PM
D-baggery aside, their crime was the same and they should be treated the same way.

Put it this way, Bonds has spent the last 8-10 years taking a pounding in the media for the exact same thing that hundreds of other players did. I'm not saying that I feel sorry for Barry, he made his own bed, but Barry was crucified while hundreds of other players like Ortiz were worshiped, even though they were all crooks. Bonds simply made the mistake of destroying sacred records and being a jerk while doing it. If Bonds had been a smiling, loving, happy go lucky guy, how would we view him? The same goes for Pettitte vs. Clemens.

you want the media to treat the players the same? not gonna happen, bonds treated the media like trash, the media is just giving him a taste of his own medicine.

on top of it, clemens and bonds are different from pettite, bronson, a-rod etc, because both are facing perjury charges.

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2009, 02:53 AM
"I do what I do."

..... which is what man? Lose every other start? Get hit like a snare drum 20 times out a year?

Griffey012
08-02-2009, 02:27 PM

McGwire wants you to think he was using it. As Canseco talked about in his book, it was just a way form McGwire to direct people away from thinking he was using steroids, because it was a legal supplement and people thought thats why he was huge.

FlyerFanatic
08-02-2009, 02:33 PM
McGwire wants you to think he was using it. As Canseco talked about in his book, it was just a way form McGwire to direct people away from thinking he was using steroids, because it was a legal supplement and people thought thats why he was huge.

exactly. everyones story is all broken and BS. look at a-rod, he came out and "explained" how he got the steroids, yet allowed no follow up questions, when there were numerous holes and questions left. oh my cousins son's nephew knew a guy and he just gave me this supplement i took without knowing what it was..riiiiiight

mlh1981
08-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't care anymore. The "shock factor" of all this wore off a few years ago.

Joeyjection19
08-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Deleted generic hall-of-fame joke. Didn't mean to rip off- sorry.