PDA

View Full Version : 4 Hours to Go

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 11:46 AM
The Rolen deal which once seemed imminent now seems to be unlikely.

Don't see too many rumors flying around on Roidhead and Harang.

I see a couple of tidbits here and there on Weathers/Rhodes. I'd actually like to keep Rhodes.

I'm starting to come to the realization that Deadline Day will be a dud for Reds fans, just like this season has been.

:thumbdown

texasdave
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
And, oh happy days, Reds fans can look forward to this club trotting out basically the same lineup in 2010 that has performed so admirably this season. The anticipation of 650 at-bats for Willy Taveras should get those season ticket sales hopping. I hope Jocketty has some winter meetings magic up his sleeve. He certainly didn't last off-season.

CySeymour
07-31-2009, 11:50 AM
That's my take too, but I still think someone could be moved after today.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
That's my take too, but I still think someone could be moved after today.

Almost certainly. But it probably won't be a move of any consequence.

See: Balentin, Wlahadouaomir. (Pronounced "Irrelevant")

texasdave
07-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Almost certainly. But it probably won't be a move of any consequence.

See: Balentin, Wlahadouaomir. (Pronounced "Irrelevant")

Speaking of "Vlad Valentine" will he be attending tonight's contest? Rumor has it Dusty won't play him until he passes a test on 'Bakermetrics' and Vlad can't find a #2 pencil.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Speaking of "Vlad Valentine" will he be attending tonight's contest? Rumor has it Dusty won't play him until he passes a test on 'Bakermetrics' and Vlad can't find a #2 pencil.

The Bakermetrics entrance exam has claimed more than its fair share of victims.

Sample Problem:

You are a speedy center fielder with no baseball talent. You almost never make solid contact and get on base even more seldomly. But you are really fast. Where should you expect to hit in the lineup? (Hint: You are really fast.)

A) I wouldn't expect to play.

B) Eighth

C) Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude.

D) Toothpick

texasdave
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
I would have thought Balentien might take the first direct flight to Cincy in order to jump start his floundering career. This has got me to thinking, "Where's Wlado?".

texasdave
07-31-2009, 12:08 PM
The Bakermetrics entrance exam has claimed more than its fair share of victims.

Sample Problem:

You are a speedy center fielder with no baseball talent. You almost never make solid contact and get on base even more seldomly. But you are really fast. Where should you expect to hit in the lineup? (Hint: You are really fast.)

A) I wouldn't expect to play.

B) Eighth

C) Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude.

D) Toothpick

Just reason it out. It can't be 'A' because everyone, no matter how crappy, expects to play.
It can't be 'B' because there are only there are only Seven Deadly Sins and letting a player like me hit would definitely kill this offense. And it can't be 'D' because a 'Toothpick' is what I take up to the plate with me.

So the answer must be 'C'. Process of elimination, dude.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 12:11 PM
I would have thought Balentien might take the first direct flight to Cincy in order to jump start his floundering career. This has got me to thinking, "Where's Wlado?".

Wlado....lol..:beerme:

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM
Just reason it out. It can't be 'A' because everyone, no matter how crappy, expects to play.
It can't be 'B' because there are only there are only Seven Deadly Sins and letting a player like me hit would definitely kill this offense. And it can't be 'D' because a 'Toothpick' is what I take up to the plate with me.

So the answer must be 'C'. Process of elimination, dude.

"C" is correct, dude. Nicely done.

Another sample:

Neifi Perez is to Alex Gonzalez as:

A) Darren Lewis is to Corey Patterson

B) Mark Prior is to Kerry Wood

C) Laurel is to Hardy

D) Toothpicks are to Swedish Meatballs

GIDP
07-31-2009, 12:16 PM

He hasnt been in a game situation in like a week, or even seen live pitching. Hes gotta get some BP in and things like that.

BigPoppa
07-31-2009, 12:22 PM
TexasDave and TBL,

ya'll are some clever guys.

Bigtime, dude.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
TexasDave and TBL,

ya'll are some clever guys.

Bigtime, dude.

Thanks, but all credit goes to B'metrics, dude.

aubashbrother
07-31-2009, 12:44 PM
from Mayo

http://twitter.com/jonathanmayob3

@bigstanjones Haven't heard anything on the Reds front #mlbtrades

BigPoppa
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't want to get rid of Rhodes. Weathers ? meh....................

Royals Fan
07-31-2009, 12:56 PM
I still thinknig nothing will come down today due to the Reds asking for the moon for there players and saddle with those bad contract. IF there is an trade it be low for a Class A ballplayer with no very little shot in the majors till at 2011. This day will go down as a another sad day for reds fan due to there Organzation mis management over the years.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
I dont think anyone gets moved really. Weathers maybe but I'm sure Dusty would die with out having him. I mean really I think he would explode.

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I dont think anyone gets moved really. Weathers maybe but I'm sure Dusty would die with out having him. I mean really I think he would explode.

who would he bring in to face pujols? :eek:

texasdave
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
He hasnt been in a game situation in like a week, or even seen live pitching. Hes gotta get some BP in and things like that.

I was just messing around. I figured it would take a couple of days for everything to get squared away. Honestly, I hope the kid turns out to be a keeper.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
3 hours to go and all's quiet on the midwestern front.

GIDP
07-31-2009, 01:12 PM
who would he bring in to face pujols? :eek:

He would go from using Weathers in the 8th because hes a vet to using a rookie. Its Bakermetrics. He will say one thing all year but then do the complete opposite when he is forced to make a change in the way he runs the team. Its crazy :laugh:

texasdave
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
3 hours to go and all's quiet on the midwestern front.

Ok, I have to say it. "Where's Walt-o?"

GIDP
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
I was just messing around. I figured it would take a couple of days for everything to get squared away. Honestly, I hope the kid turns out to be a keeper.

:O!

I have just been defending a lot of things lately so I really cant pick up on who is kidding and not joking now.

bgwilly31
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
why would you want them to sell off our pitchers>?

sportsboy57
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Padres have fired their hitting coach...just a day after battering Reds pitching. Wonder when the Reds are going to follow suit.

Carin4Narron
07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
Think about it people, everyone wanted Pirates player and as now nobody wants ANY Reds players. That speaks volumes, bigtime!

texasdave
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
Padres have fired their hitting coach...just a day after battering Reds pitching. Wonder when the Reds are going to follow suit.

That is the standard. Your team plays four games at GABP and you don't score double-digits at least once or average 7 runs per game for the series you get fired.

In fact that has been the standard for so long it is now tradition. I can't remember the last time an opposing hitting coach kept his job after failing to meet that minimum standard.

Newman4
07-31-2009, 01:47 PM
It's 1:47, do you know where your GM is? I sure don't. :confused:

texasdave
07-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Walt in his office pounding the phone on his desk and screaming "@!@#$!! Majic Jack!".

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Think about it people, everyone wanted Pirates player and as now nobody wants ANY Reds players. That speaks volumes, bigtime!

i dont think no one wants our players. walts just not gonna mortage our future like the pirates do. the pirates would be dealing cueto, volquez, bruce, votto...walt realizes they are untouchables as they should be. that leaves harang, arroyo, weathers, cordero as possible trading chips, 3 of the 4 have huge contracts that either no one wants to touch or the reds dont wanna have to pick up parts of their huge contracts.

i found it funny, heard on baseball tonight last night gammons, olney and i think phillips all said they thought the pirates did well in getting the prospects they did. thats great, but in 3-4 yrs all of those prospects will be traded as well. how the pirates do things

NWOhio14
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
But atleast the Pirates did something to shake things up because what they had wasn't working.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
2 hours to go.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-31-2009, 02:01 PM
Looks like Walt is going to stand pat...wow

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2009, 02:05 PM
But atleast the Pirates did something to shake things up because what they had wasn't working.

they are on their record 17th consecutive losing season, longest losing streak for any franchise in MLB. what they have been doing hasnt been working for a long time. part of the reason is because of exactly what they did, trading away 8 of the 9 starters they had on opening day. who cares if they "shook it up" they're gonna continue to suck and then trade off the prospects they got this year. they're owner doesnt wanna pay any player any money, thus they continue to trade off cheap players for more cheap players.

texasdave
07-31-2009, 02:06 PM
If Walt has a plan isn't it about time he starts to set the wheels in motion? We may have to expand the Sun Deck library by adding the following:

Bakermetrics for GMs:The Jock's on you, dude.
Bakermetrics for 3rd Base Coaches:Run Berry Berry fast please, dude.
Bakermetrics for Hitting Coaches:See the ball, Miss the ball, Grab some bench, dude.

I forget the rest of the volumes in this series, but I am sure my fellow Sundeckers will help me out here.

Rockermann
07-31-2009, 02:10 PM
Walt in his office pounding the phone on his desk and screaming "@!@#$!! Majic Jack!".

Now that is just plain funny. And maybe the truth.

Slyder
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM

Also could be speaking to what Walt is asking for in terms of return. Pirates had theyre yearly sheading of salary and took probably the first offer that came for everyone.

BigPoppa
07-31-2009, 02:35 PM
If Walt has a plan isn't it about time he starts to set the wheels in motion? We may have to expand the Sun Deck library by adding the following:

Bakermetrics for GMs:The Jock's on you, dude.
Bakermetrics for 3rd Base Coaches:Run Berry Berry fast please, dude.
Bakermetrics for Hitting Coaches:See the ball, Miss the ball, Grab some bench, dude.

I forget the rest of the volumes in this series, but I am sure my fellow Sundeckers will help me out here.

Bakermetrics for Starting Pitchers: Hang in there, dude. Just give me one more, thirty-five pitch inning and I'll get you out of there. Bigtime.

Captain Hook
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
It's possible that some team becomes desperate for starting pitching come mid August and are willing to take on Harangs or Arroyos contract.Right now teams just don't want these guys but after the deadline they are the only kind of pitchers that can be traded.There are younger and less expensive options for now but that won't be the case once the deadline passes.Those better options will be difficult to move but as far as Aaron and Bronson nothing will have changed.

It will help if our guys can get hot over their next 2 or 3 starts.If they do there will be some team that needs at least 1 of them and a deal will get done.Probably a much better deal for the Reds then you could expect right now for either of them.

texasdave
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
The losing stops NOW!! The Reds are to the Trading Deadline as Null is to Void. Empty is to promises. Shattered is to Dreams. Black is to Hole. Kick is to Groin. I was once asked to join a Fantasy League. I told the guy 'No, thank you, I am a Reds fan'. He understood.

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
One hour to go!! Let the madness commence!!!

TheBigLebowski
07-31-2009, 03:09 PM
]Vicki Martinez about to be traded to the BoSox the day before Victor Martinez Bobblehead Night in Cleveland.

BluegrassRedleg
07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
Well they're building a gallows outside my cell I've got 25 minutes to go
And the whole town's waitin' just to hear me yell I've got 24 minutes to go
Well they gave me some beans for my last meal I've got 23 minutes to go
But nobody asked me how I feel I've got 22 minutes to go
Well I sent for the governor and the whole dern bunch with 21 minutes to go
And I sent for the mayor but he's out to lunch I've got 20 more minutes to go
Then the sheriff said boy I gonna watch you die got 19 minutes to go
So I laughed in his face and I spit in his eye got 18 minutes to go
Now hear comes the preacher for to save my soul with 13 minutes to go
And he's talking bout' burnin' but I'm so cold I've 12 more minutes to go
Now they're testin' the trap and it chills my spine 11 more minutes to go
And the trap and the rope aw they work just fine got 10 more minutes to go
Well I'm waitin' on the pardon that'll set me free with 9 more minutes to go
But this is for real so forget about me got 8 more minutes to go
With my feet on the trap and my head on the noose got 5 more minutes to go
Won't somebody come and cut me loose with 4 more minutes to go
I can see the mountains I can see the skies with 3 more minutes to go
And it's to dern pretty for a man that don't wanna die 2 more minutes to go
I can see the buzzards I can hear the crows 1 more minute to go
And now I'm swingin' and here I go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!

CySeymour
07-31-2009, 03:20 PM
Quote from Neyer's ESPN chat:

Andy (Cincy, OH)

Please explain why Walt hasn't tried to improve the Reds???

Rob Neyer (3:17 PM)

You mean for this year? This year's over, Andy. If you mean for next year and beyond, then you've got a damn fine question there. Essentially, *everybody* should be doing something right now.

Carin4Narron
07-31-2009, 04:37 PM
i dont think no one wants our players. walts just not gonna mortage our future like the pirates do. the pirates would be dealing cueto, volquez, bruce, votto...walt realizes they are untouchables as they should be.

Future? What Future? Those 4 that you that you mentioned might be head cases and shot by the way they have been handled on the field and the front office. This team has no clue and I had it!

FlyerFanatic
07-31-2009, 04:40 PM
Future? What Future? Those 4 that you that you mentioned might be head cases and shot by the way they have been handled on the field and the front office. This team has no clue and I had it!

:rolleyes:

Carin4Narron
07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
:rolleyes:

I am telling ya, it's sad but true!