PDA

View Full Version : Did you know...

Brutus
08-01-2009, 03:12 AM
Was doing some salary research for another post I was intending to make. Saw a very disgusting fact that, I think, really hammers home the kind of poor situation the Reds are in with financial flexibility.

Did you know the Reds have the highest ratio designated to relief pitchers of all teams in Major League Baseball? It's 29%, according to a spreadsheet linked on Cot's Contracts. Sickening that $20.8 mil is tied up to the relievers. Throw in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, and now you have $42.3 million allocated in eight or nine pitchers, all but two of which are not even starters.

Consider the Reds' payroll is $71.5.

I like that the Reds went out and got Weathers and Cordero, but boy is that ever a disproportionate amount to delegate to relief pitching when your budget is so tight.

redsfandan
08-01-2009, 03:16 AM
Ya know, I really do appreciate what Weathers has done for the Reds over the last 4 1/2 seasons but if we have $20m+ tied up in the bullpen in 2010 ... :bang::bang::bang::explode::explode::explode:

mth123
08-01-2009, 07:15 AM
I was about to start a similar thread. This is the reason the Rolen deal is so awful IMO. Stewart and Roenicke represented the high octane arms needed to take over in the pen and reallocate some of this money to other areas. Now, I see no way to deal Cordero to reduce cost and even if the team lets Weathers walk, they probably will need to go out and spend similar money to replace him.

Unless the budget goes up, the team marketing slogan should be "5th place again, in 2010."

GAC
08-01-2009, 07:33 AM
Was doing some salary research for another post I was intending to make. Saw a very disgusting fact that, I think, really hammers home the kind of poor situation the Reds are in with financial flexibility.

Did you know the Reds have the highest ratio designated to relief pitchers of all teams in Major League Baseball? It's 29%, according to a spreadsheet linked on Cot's Contracts. Sickening that $20.8 mil is tied up to the relievers. Throw in Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang, and now you have $42.3 million allocated in eight or nine pitchers, all but two of which are not even starters.

I like that the Reds went out and got Weathers and Cordero, but boy is that ever a disproportionate amount to delegate to relief pitching when your budget is so tight.

Said the same thing a couple weeks ago. It use to be they'd disproportionately spend all that money on position players, while going on the "cheap" for marginal pitchers (retreads, reclamation projects, and one-year wonders).

We now looking for those "Jimmy Haynes'" to man our OF/INF. :p:

jojo
08-01-2009, 07:45 AM

I've beat that Reds pen is exhorbinantly expensive drum a couple of times. It just doesn't require spending a ton of money to build a quality pen.

TheNext44
08-01-2009, 02:02 PM
I've beat that Reds pen is exhorbinantly expensive drum a couple of times. It just doesn't require spending a ton of money to build a quality pen.

It's funny, because this was one of Jocketty's strength with the Cardinals. Keep filling the pen with lots of cheap options. Some will do better than others, but they are all easily replaceable.

I know he was stuck with Cordero's contract, but Rhodes, Weathers and Lincoln really didn't need to be signed, and that's true regardless of how well/poorly they have pitched.

Brutus
08-01-2009, 02:09 PM
It's funny, because this was one of Jocketty's strength with the Cardinals. Keep filling the pen with lots of cheap options. Some will do better than others, but they are all easily replaceable.

I know he was stuck with Cordero's contract, but Rhodes, Weathers and Lincoln really didn't need to be signed, and that's true regardless of how well/poorly they have pitched.

For me, $2 mil is kind of my imaginary line for signing a good reliever. At that price, I think Arthur Rhodes is a real good bargain. But he had a real good track record to justify. Mike Lincoln signed at $1.5 or David Weathers (who at least does have a good history) at nearly $4 mil is exorbitant, in my opinion. Sometimes it's necessary to pick up one or two of these guys if you're lacking in-house options. But $20 mil on some 3-4 bullpen arms is sickening.

mth123
08-01-2009, 02:12 PM
For me, $2 mil is kind of my imaginary line for signing a good reliever. At that price, I think Arthur Rhodes is a real good bargain. But he had a real good track record to justify. Mike Lincoln signed at $1.5 or David Weathers (who at least does have a good history) at nearly $4 mil is exorbitant, in my opinion. Sometimes it's necessary to pick up one or two of these guys if you're lacking in-house options. But $20 mil on some 3-4 bullpen arms is sickening.

The two best in house options are gone now.

Brutus
08-01-2009, 02:21 PM
The two best in house options are gone now.

I personally like Carlos Fisher long term better than Roenicke. And Nick Masset has closer stuff. I don't think the Reds are depleted from finding capable bullpen replacements.