PDA

View Full Version : Why?

sammonator
08-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Why does Dusty lead off Sutton and continue to hit Gonzo in the 2 hole? Why not move Hannigan up to the 2 spot and let the new guy Balentien lead off? This is so stupid. Your 2 worst hitters in the lineup are gonna get more AB's than anyone. Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheBigLebowski
08-01-2009, 06:20 PM
It's better than Tavares. Willy Tavares makes Drew Sutton look like Peter Edward in comparison.

But to answer the question as to why the worst hitters hit 1st and 2nd, it's simple Bakermetrics:

"Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude."

"Shortstop hits second, dude."

Orodle
08-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Because Dusty doesnt understand the importance of getting on base in this game of baseball.

sammonator
08-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Gonzo 1 for his last 34 Dusty say's hey lets put him in the 2 hole!!!!!! Down 5-2 in the 8th a 2-0 count. And he swings at ball 3. We should just put him on waivers and let him go.

malcontent
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
It's better than Tavares. Willy Tavares makes Drew Sutton look like Peter Edward in comparison.

But to answer the question as to why the worst hitters hit 1st and 2nd, it's simple Bakermetrics:

"Centerfielder bats leadoff, dude."

"Shortstop hits second, dude."

And since he's overdue, when Gonzo does goes off, you know it's gonna be big-time.

GIDP
08-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Dusty has said something before that you cant have too many outs at the bottom of the order. Im not kidding.

GIDP
08-01-2009, 11:07 PM
"A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

There it is. Hes talkin about Janish batting 2nd.

Captain Hook
08-01-2009, 11:21 PM
While I have defended the Rolen trade I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter who we get as long as Baker is calling the shots on the field.If we could just get rid of Baker these disagreements about who the Reds deal away,deal for and sign in the future might actually be worth arguing about.

CRedsLarkin11
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
"A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

Good Lord

sammonator
08-01-2009, 11:52 PM

Unreal. This is unheard of. I mean why have your worst 2 hitters get the most AB's? That is just plain ignorant.

GIDP
08-01-2009, 11:54 PM
Yea when I saw that he said that last year I thought "does this guy really not understand hes just giving them an easy inning in the 1st?"

malcontent
08-02-2009, 12:11 AM
About a month ago Toothpick observed (I can't find the exact quote) that walks are important to a leadoff hitter since his batting average will fall faster in a slump if he's not getting them.

You're left to just shake your head and ponder on the relative intelligences of a GM and owner that would actually hire and continue to support such a mental giant in the face of all observable data.

malcontent
08-02-2009, 12:24 AM
While I have defended the Rolen trade I think we can all agree that it doesn't matter who we get as long as Baker is calling the shots on the field.If we could just get rid of Baker these disagreements about who the Reds deal away,deal for and sign in the future might actually be worth arguing about.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, what must it say about Jocketty's analytical prowess if he still hasn't arrived at that most obvious point?

Fullboat
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
Oh whats the big deal.This team is not finishing first anytime soon and it just might might get Baker
fired by the end of this season.

Captain Hook
08-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Absolutely.

Unfortunately, what must it say about Jocketty's analytical prowess if he still hasn't arrived at that most obvious point?

My guess is that his hands are tied.

malcontent
08-02-2009, 12:41 AM
My guess is that his hands are tied.

You mean his contract?