PDA

View Full Version : Measured Thinking

mcowett394
08-02-2009, 08:13 AM
To all Reds' fans

A few days ago, I posted my first message and criticized the Reds' leadership for not being good stewards of a great tradition. Now they have done something to help a very difficult situation. CAN WE STAND BACK AND JUST THINK BEFORE WE REACT PASSIONATELY!

I know all of us love the Reds and have for many years, I guess. But can we give some credit where credit is due? A few thoughts:

1. With the loss of Volquez, Bruce, and Hernandez as well as Burton, this team has lost some good talent even if they were not performing to their capabillities, and Lord knows, players do not always do that. These guys could play. They could pitch. And before Bruce went out, the Reds were in the mix for this division. We cannot judge a whole season based on the last three weeks, as painful as it is to watch.

2. Although Edwin Encarnacion was one of my favorite players, he did struggle and losing him in a trade may have been a blessing for all concerned; and we got back a guy for two years that has and can play well. I have followed Rolen's work for years and he is a good player. So, as Walt Jocketty said, they did have plans to, and did, improve this team this year, right?

3. How can any of us who are non-baseball players, scouts, experts etc make judgments about players when all we can do is trust our non-professional eyes or ears? Who knows how good Zack Stewart is or could be other than a name on a list? We hear that Toronto insisted on him and all of a sudden, he becomes the next great Reds pitcher. Boo. Our passion, in this case, may be a little previous.

4. Many of us are critical for Bob Castellini not spending money, and in this case, he did. For God sakes, give the guy some credit. My basic complaint with the present ownership is that they do not spend enough money to compete. Yes, they should get a left fielder who is a good player from somewhere. And they did not over this winter, but give them credit for trying now.

5. The criticism that they spend money poorly can be lodged at every team in baseball, particularly, the Yankees, who waste tons of money on players that do not pan out. Alex Gonzalez was a very good player in the first year of his contract. 16 homers and a ton of marvelous defense. Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang have been excellent pitchers up until recently--their contracts were applauded by most of us a few years ago. So why all the revisionist thinking? Enough whining and shrillness!

6. The jury is out on this whole deal, and especially the present leadership, I think, not because of a Rolen trade or a few prospects who may be excellent, but for our lack of faith in Castellini putting a good, entire team on the field. Wait and see if he gets a good left fielder and shortstop. See if he does not spend some money and keep Ramon Hernandez, at something far less than 6 or 8 million. See if they truly try to move beyond the Dickersons and Janishes who are clearly one dimensional defensive players.

7. We all love the Reds, right? So why not root like crazy now even if it is very painful.

Here's to a hopeful future, Reds fans.

texasdave
08-02-2009, 11:41 AM
4. Many of us are critical for Bob Castellini not spending money, and in this case, he did. For God sakes, give the guy some credit. My basic complaint with the present ownership is that they do not spend enough money to compete. Yes, they should get a left fielder who is a good player from somewhere. And they did not over this winter, but give them credit for trying now.

Let's take a quick look back at last winter. Jocketty states that priority numero uno is a big RH bat. And then he quickly ignores his number one priority to sign the likes of Willy Taveras. To Walt's credit, with that signing he was able to scratch priority number seventeen off his to-do list. We waited. The economy tumbled. We waited. Walt hemmed and hawed. We waited. The price for a big RH bat dropped and dropped. We waited. As we all know Walt never did sign any of a handful of reasonably priced big RH bats. He did not trade for a big RH bat. No big RH bats were found in the dumpster. Walt did not find one in his Christmas stocking. None were located in lost and found. None showed up in Spring Training. Walt's off season search for a big RH bat was, to be blunt, Epic Fail.

Now part of Walt's job is to look ahead, to read the market, to anticipate. This team still needed priority one filled. Did Walt think the price would be less in season? How could it be less when all one had to do was open the checkbook back then and fill a need. The organization would not have to part with any of its talent. And, in either scenario, the big RH was going to pull down big bucks. The time to strike was last off season. Blame Walt. Blame Castellini. I don't care. To me they are one and the same. But don't add insult to injury by trying to acquire in the middle of a season when this team is cleary circling the bowl. Why? Why give up talent now when you can just wait until the next off season and learn from your mistake?

What the Reds parted with to get Scott Rolen is completely unacceptable. Some publications are calling it the worst deadline trade of 2009. And they very well may be right.

If priority one was addressed last off season through agency the Reds would currently have Big RH Bat, Edwin, Stewart and Roenicke.

And, naturally, Reds fans reap what shoddy management sows.

mcowett394
08-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Let's take a quick look back at last winter. Jocketty states that priority numero uno is a big RH bat. And then he quickly ignores his number one priority to sign the likes of Willy Taveras. To Walt's credit, with that signing he was able to scratch priority number seventeen off his to-do list. We waited. The economy tumbled. We waited. Walt hemmed and hawed. We waited. The price for a big RH bat dropped and dropped. We waited. As we all know Walt never did sign any of a handful of reasonably priced big RH bats. He did not trade for a big RH bat. No big RH bats were found in the dumpster. Walt did not find one in his Christmas stocking. None were located in lost and found. None showed up in Spring Training. Walt's off season search for a big RH bat was, to be blunt, Epic Fail.

Now part of Walt's job is to look ahead, to read the market, to anticipate. This team still needed priority one filled. Did Walt think the price would be less in season? How could it be less when all one had to do was open the checkbook back then and fill a need. The organization would not have to part with any of its talent. And, in either scenario, the big RH was going to pull down big bucks. The time to strike was last off season. Blame Walt. Blame Castellini. I don't care. To me they are one and the same. But don't add insult to injury by trying to acquire in the middle of a season when this team is cleary circling the bowl. Why? Why give up talent now when you can just wait until the next off season and learn from your mistake?

What the Reds parted with to get Scott Rolen is completely unacceptable. Some publications are calling it the worst deadline trade of 2009. And they very well may be right.

If priority one was addressed last off season through agency the Reds would currently have Big RH Bat, Edwin, Stewart and Roenicke.

And, naturally, Reds fans reap what shoddy management sows.

Griffey012
08-02-2009, 02:32 PM
To all Reds' fans

A few days ago, I posted my first message and criticized the Reds' leadership for not being good stewards of a great tradition. Now they have done something to help a very difficult situation. CAN WE STAND BACK AND JUST THINK BEFORE WE REACT PASSIONATELY!

I know all of us love the Reds and have for many years, I guess. But can we give some credit where credit is due? A few thoughts:

1. With the loss of Volquez, Bruce, and Hernandez as well as Burton, this team has lost some good talent even if they were not performing to their capabillities, and Lord knows, players do not always do that. These guys could play. They could pitch. And before Bruce went out, the Reds were in the mix for this division. We cannot judge a whole season based on the last three weeks, as painful as it is to watch.

2. Although Edwin Encarnacion was one of my favorite players, he did struggle and losing him in a trade may have been a blessing for all concerned; and we got back a guy for two years that has and can play well. I have followed Rolen's work for years and he is a good player. So, as Walt Jocketty said, they did have plans to, and did, improve this team this year, right?

3. How can any of us who are non-baseball players, scouts, experts etc make judgments about players when all we can do is trust our non-professional eyes or ears? Who knows how good Zack Stewart is or could be other than a name on a list? We hear that Toronto insisted on him and all of a sudden, he becomes the next great Reds pitcher. Boo. Our passion, in this case, may be a little previous.

5. The criticism that they spend money poorly can be lodged at every team in baseball, particularly, the Yankees, who waste tons of money on players that do not pan out. Alex Gonzalez was a very good player in the first year of his contract. 16 homers and a ton of marvelous defense. Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang have been excellent pitchers up until recently--their contracts were applauded by most of us a few years ago. So why all the revisionist thinking? Enough whining and shrillness!

6. The jury is out on this whole deal, and especially the present leadership, I think, not because of a Rolen trade or a few prospects who may be excellent, but for our lack of faith in Castellini putting a good, entire team on the field. Wait and see if he gets a good left fielder and shortstop. See if he does not spend some money and keep Ramon Hernandez, at something far less than 6 or 8 million. See if they truly try to move beyond the Dickersons and Janishes who are clearly one dimensional defensive players.

7. We all love the Reds, right? So why not root like crazy now even if it is very painful.

Here's to a hopeful future, Reds fans.

Thanks for a thoughtful breath of fresh air

BluegrassRedleg
08-03-2009, 01:43 AM
To all Reds' fans

Castellini is not guilty of penny-pinching. His organization is spending enough money to be competitive. It's just not spending money wisely. The contracts that guys like Taveras, Gonzalez (lack of performance) and Cordero (strong performer, but grossly overpaid in relation to team needs) are on just defy logic.