PDA

View Full Version : Will Baker last the season?

Jim Fazio
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
What does everyone think? I hope he's gone. I really liked Mackanin.

fewfirstchoice
08-02-2009, 06:57 PM
He shouldnt but he will. Bob and Walt will let him manage out his contract heck they may even resign him after next year...but I hope not. Bob needs to get Tony in Cincy right now.

GIDP
08-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Yes. He is owed way too much money for us to dump him.

BEETTLEBUG
08-02-2009, 07:06 PM
He shouldnt but he will. Bob and Walt will let him manage out his contract heck they may even resign him after next year...but I hope not. Bob needs to get Tony in Cincy right now.

Tony who?

FlyerFanatic
08-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Tony who?

larussa, i imagine

malcontent
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM

Fat chance now that Scottie boy is here for good.

Could Old Walt have forgotten that?

Joseph Hanna
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I think Dusty does some things that I'll never understand and he's frustrated me beyond belief.

That said I think he's a good guy (and that does count) and he wants to win. I saw the tremendous stress and stain on his face after today's loss. After all he is a millionaire and doesn't really have to care (there's a bunch of ball players that simply don't care) but today I saw he obviously does.

Bad, bad season and some unbelievable let-downs. But no matter how exhausted I am I know come December I'll wish it was still baseball season.

Baseball in Cincinnati is better than no baseball in Cincinnati. I'm throwing the towel in for yet another season. Maybe next year.

nemesis
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
I am sure Dusty cares. He actually has a famous quote about caring how putting rookies in the lineup would hurt his W-L record as a manager. Also keeping in mind the every single starter on this team has went on the DL except for Phillips and Taveras. They probaly shoulda when Phillips had the injury to the thumb and Taveras to the Hammy.

Bruce Broken wrist.
EdE Broken hand.
Votto stress.
Dickerson shoulder
Hernandez knee.
Gonzales for sucking.

ok not for sucking... but if there was a DL for suckitude he'd be on there with his .507 OPS...

BigPoppa
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I think Dusty does some things that I'll never understand and he's frustrated me beyond belief.

That said I think he's a good guy (and that does count) and he wants to win. I saw the tremendous stress and stain on his face after today's loss. After all he is a millionaire and doesn't really have to care (there's a bunch of ball players that simply don't care) but today I saw he obviously does.

Bad, bad season and some unbelievable let-downs. But no matter how exhausted I am I know come December I'll wish it was still baseball season.

Baseball in Cincinnati is better than no baseball in Cincinnati. I'm throwing the towel in for yet another season. Maybe next year.

I, also, think Dusty is a good guy. But that's not enough...you also have to have a baseball mind, strategy, etc. And I think it's become clear that Dusty doesn't. Heck, I'm a good guy but we sure don't want me managing the Reds.

I am sure Dusty cares. He actually has a famous quote about caring how putting rookies in the lineup would hurt his W-L record as a manager. Also keeping in mind the every single starter on this team has went on the DL except for Phillips and Taveras. They probaly shoulda when Phillips had the injury to the thumb and Taveras to the Hammy.

Bruce Broken wrist.
EdE Broken hand.
Votto stress.
Dickerson shoulder
Hernandez knee.
Gonzales for sucking.

ok not for sucking... but if there was a DL for suckitude he'd be on there with his .507 OPS...

Injuries no doubt have played a part, but again we come back to Dusty's head scratching moves as more of a factor.

Joseph Hanna
08-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I, also, think Dusty is a good guy. But that's not enough...you also have to have a baseball mind, strategy, etc. And I think it's become clear that Dusty doesn't. Heck, I'm a good guy but we sure don't want me managing the Reds.

Yes of course you're right and he obviously makes crazy frustrating moves. That said he obviously cares and in that (at least for me) there is some merit. I mean after all there are some current Reds starters who obviously don't give a crap. Obviously.

Dusty can't do anything about a person (or person's) who are SO self absorbed and SO wealthy that winning no longer holds any reasonable incentives.

Captain Hook
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
A team playing this badly should consider firing their manager.I'm not sure what it would take for the front office to make that decision but something tells me that even finishing in last place wouldn't do it.I just have a feeling that we are stuck with Dusty until next year.If we are out of it again a year from now they'll probably pull the trigger.

NWOhio14
08-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I would like Buddy Bell to get the job. No reasons of merit just because I would like to see a qualified ex-red have the job.

Captain Hook
08-03-2009, 12:36 AM
I would like Buddy Bell to get the job. No reasons of merit just because I would like to see a qualified ex-red have the job.

I liked Bell but he had a pretty bad coaching career and last I herd is fighting cancer(i think he is doing well now fyi).Not sure if he would ever want to get back into coaching.

BEETTLEBUG
08-03-2009, 12:58 AM
Would anybody consider Oester as they need a firery manager.

Joeyjection19
08-03-2009, 01:05 AM
Given the tools the Reds have, do you think that having another manager would make that much of a difference? In no way am I a Dusty fan but how much control does he have over the holes in the outfield, (unless we know he pushed for Willy, which is entirely possible), SS, and 3B? Ultimately, how many games has Dusty cost us since he took over?

Maybe replacing Baker with someone else encourages Edwin to play better and we never pull the Rolen trade. Maybe we never sign C-Pat or Willy or get new hitting and pitching coaches or whatever. Then again, maybe our bullpen is absolute crap or Hanigan or Votto don't develop so well.

Every team within 7 games of their division has more runs scored than runs allowed. We need either to score 90 more runs, allow 90 less, or a combination of the two. That amounts to about .865 runs per game. If you increase the OBP of the 1 and 2 hitters by 70 points (which is sadly realistic), that gives you somewhere between 20 and 30 runs over 300 at-bats using only in-house options. If the Reds invested in a good lead off hitter, someone with a .370 + OBP, and subsequently increase the #2 hitter 100 points or more, and you may have halved your run deficit that quickly.

If you consider we're in the bottom 10 in runs allowed, that's a huge improvement. Letting starters continue pitching with 110 pitches is a start. All in all, I don't think this team has the tools to get there, but I think they're closer than what they look.

will5979
08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
If, and that is a BIG if he is reinstated...

Peter Edward Rose

Girevik
08-03-2009, 08:16 AM
I don't think Baker is going anywhere....he's the "espalished" guy the Reds need to put them over the top, remember? I'm still upset the Reds didn't go after Leyland when he left the Pirates

Would anybody consider Oester as they need a firery manager.

He was one of my favorite Reds...I'd love to see him get the job but I was thinking there were hard feelings from the LAST time they tried to hire him but lowballed the offer and then went with someone else when he tried to negotiate.

If, and that is a BIG if he is reinstated...

Peter Edward Rose

I'm not a big Pete fan as a manager. He had the best talent in the NL for everal years in a row and managed to come in 2nd every year. I think he's one of those guys who is so incredibly self motivated that it's just foreign to him.

justincredible
08-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Unfortunately, yes. Dinglebaker will likely finish out his contract.

BigPoppa
08-03-2009, 02:14 PM
I say give Rick Sweet a shot whenever/however Dusty departs.

Old NDN
08-03-2009, 02:26 PM
As stated before, no Baker fan here, either. But I don't think there's any manager that could take this bunch of would-be major league ballplayers and win. Forget about the injuries. If we had none, I still saw (as many of you have posted) plenty of holes. Now, who's responsible for assembling this roster? WJ? BC? DB? Scouts? All the above, I suppose. Well, whoever, they haven't done their job. You're gonna miss on a few players. But my goodness, not year after year.

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 02:30 PM
As stated before, no Baker fan here, either. But I don't think there's any manager that could take this bunch of would-be major league ballplayers and win. Forget about the injuries. If we had none, I still saw (as many of you have posted) plenty of holes. Now, who's responsible for assembling this roster? WJ? BC? DB? Scouts? All the above, I suppose. Well, whoever, they haven't done their job. You're gonna miss on a few players. But my goodness, not year after year.

i dont think baker should get a pass just because the roster is full of bench and players who have no business being here. i agree it would be tough for any manager, but baker doesnt even construct lineups that give us the best opportunity to win. he finally has hanigan up in the order, but that took taveras to be out to do it. what happens when he comes back, boom right back down.

mac624
08-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Dusto has cost the Reds some wins, but now, that doesn't matter. If we were still where we were 30 games ago, then I'd be more ticked off, but we aren't and won't be for the rest of the season. It's sad that this organization still doesn't get it, but at least I do have hope for the future. There are several younger prospects at Double A and below that does bring hope for the future. Now, will Walt continue to trade them? I hope not, but for now there's some hope.

I thought going into this season that the foundations were being laid and the Reds were still a couple of years from really getting where they need to be. This team overachieved early and stayed later than normal in the race, and that wetted whistles, but with injuries, true reality has set in again.

Personally, I don't see Dusto staying past his contract, which is great, but I can't help but think we are still building towards 2011 more than even 2010. I think next year will be better, but still we won't have much room for error/injuries.

BEETTLEBUG
08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I say give Rick Sweet a shot whenever/however Dusty departs.

I agree give Sweet a shot

Red in Atl
08-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Pete Mackanin is the guy they should get after Dusty's contract runs out next year. He should have been hired before. He's the perfect guy to deal with the kids and veterans, and he's the only guy to have a winning record I think since '95.

Jones1
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I agree give Sweet a shot

If anyone gets a shot it should be Sweet!

gilpdawg
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Dusty isn't a good manager, but if you think anybody would have done anything with the lack of talent on this team you're smoking some of that wacky tobaccy.

Kingspoint
08-03-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope the REDS never win another game this season, so that they are forced to fire Baker.

Red in Atl
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
If anyone gets a shot it should be Sweet!

I think Sweet has done a great job, but after Miley, don't you think it takes a different kind of manager to manage AAA vs. MLB? I'd hate to go through another Miley episode and lose Sweet's ability to manage the kids in the process.

Kingspoint
08-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I think Sweet has done a great job, but after Miley, don't you think it takes a different kind of manager to manage AAA vs. MLB? I'd hate to go through another Miley episode and lose Sweet's ability to manage the kids in the process.

Miley and Sweet are worlds apart.

Sweet will do well wherever he goes. If he's smart, he'll get out of the REDS' organization.