PDA

View Full Version : Is Catcher a Position that Needs to be Addressed in the Off-Season?

Edd Roush
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
After reading through the numerous Rolen threads, many posters seem to be operating under the understanding that the Rolen trade makes most sense if the Reds make more moves to fill holes to be competitive in the 2010 season.

My question is simple: Is the catcher position a hole? Ryan Hanigan is sporting a .309/.399/.366 line this year in 205 PAs. A small sample size to be sure, but even Dusty seems to be buying in by batting him 2nd.

Do you believe the catcher position needs to be addressed in the off-season? Is Hanigan/Tatum a good enough tandem in the off-season or do the Reds need to make a major deal like is the case with SS & LF?

Edd Roush
08-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I personally think that the Reds do not need to address the catcher position in 2010. I would rather allocate my off-season resources trying to trade for Yunel Escobar or signing Marco Scutaro to a 2-year deal and then either trying to deal for a legit LF bat or signing a Dye type bat.

Kc61
08-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't think Hanigan/Tatum is strong enough. Maybe when Tatum has some more success offensively at AAA.

Optimally, a left handed hitting veteran catcher to alternate with Hanigan. Or, Ramon Hernandez, if healthy, at a much reduced salary. Or just another solid guy with Hanigan.

This should not be an area for big expenditure, but the Reds will have to get someone.

UKFlounder
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
I think Hanigan is certainly a promising solution, but I'd like a better backup than Tatum, though price would certainly be a factor.

I actually kind of like Hernandez when healthy, but he may cost too much for a backup (and he might still expect to be a starter.)

It's not as big a whole as it was a year ago, but could use a bit of an upgrade behind Hanigan.

westofyou
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
You can bet your house that they won't go with a combined group that has less than 2 years of MLB experience.

They'll get a vet, someone who knows more about the league, someone to help the younger guys out.

Count on it.

Raisor
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM
You can bet your house that they won't go with a combined group that has less than 2 years of MLB experience.

They'll get a vet, someone who knows more about the league, someone to help the younger guys out.

Count on it.

Corky is still stashed away someplace.

HokieRed
08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I like Hanigan but I'm uncertain that he can maintain the kind of OPS he's putting up over the long season. As he tires, I can't see him maintaining the BA at the level he'll need to have a decent OPS--given the fact his SLG is going to be very low. I'd even guess the W rate will go down as he gets tired over the season: pitchers will force him to hit the ball. That will start to happen in the 2 spot as well. I fear he'll have a hard time maintaining a .700 OPS over a whole season of catching.

westofyou
08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Corky is still stashed away someplace.

Corky is just old now, he can't hit and he's sat more than played, he's DFA material. not a solution.

Raisor
08-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I like Hanigan but I'm uncertain that he can maintain the kind of OPS he's putting up over the long season. As he tires, I can't see him maintaining the BA at the level he'll need to have a decent OPS--given the fact his SLG is going to be very low. I'd even guess the W rate will go down as he gets tired over the season: pitchers will force him to hit the ball. That will start to happen in the 2 spot as well. I fear he'll have a hard time maintaining a .700 OPS over a whole season of catching.

You keep saying this, and I'll keep replying: Won't know until they try. He's been keeping his OBP steady all season.

Cyclone792
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Like woy, I think they'll grab a veteran in the offseason. My only hopes are 1) said veteran is a backup which allows Hanigan to start, and 2) said veteran isn't Paul Bako v2.0.

Tatum's looking like he'll grade out as a career emergency catcher. If he's the backup, or if the backup is merely an older version of him, then things will be a bit brutal.

Raisor
08-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Corky is just old now, he can't hit and he's sat more than played, he's DFA material. not a solution.

I'm not saying he's a solution. I'm saying he's around.

Homer Bailey
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
"Is Hanigan/Tatum a good enough tandem in the off-season or do the Reds need to make a major deal like is the case with SS & LF? "

This question illegitmizes this poll. Is Hanigan Tatum a good enough tandem? No. Do the Reds need to make a major deal? No.

UKFlounder
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Is being around better than being a square?

I'm not saying he's a solution. I'm saying he's around.

HokieRed
08-03-2009, 10:47 AM
You keep saying this, and I'll keep replying: Won't know until they try. He's been keeping his OBP steady all season.

I agree. I'd give him the chance. Never said otherwise. But, what I'd conclude from it, is that I'd like a better backup plan than Tatum.

Edd Roush
08-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Like woy, I think they'll grab a veteran in the offseason. My only hopes are 1) said veteran is a backup which allows Hanigan to start, and 2) said veteran isn't Paul Bako v2.0.

Tatum's looking like he'll grade out as a career emergency catcher. If he's the backup, or if the backup is merely an older version of him, then things will be a bit brutal.

I agree with this assessment, but I hope Hanigan can maintain his current level of play so that we are only required to acquire a back-up catcher in the off-season. With the emergence of Hanigan, I really only see two holes that have a pressing need to be addressed this off-season, LF and SS, but I would love to see the Reds sign Brandon Webb if he is a free-agent.

Edd Roush
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM
"Is Hanigan/Tatum a good enough tandem in the off-season or do the Reds need to make a major deal like is the case with SS & LF? "

This question illegitmizes this poll. Is Hanigan Tatum a good enough tandem? No. Do the Reds need to make a major deal? No.

Hmm, I guess you are right. I just wanted to stir the conversation of the board towards the catcher question and away from the Rolen trade for a bit. I just wanted to see what fellow 'Zoners felt in general about the catching situation going into next year.

westofyou
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM

And he has little pop, making him in an outlier. Most above average OB catchers have some slugging ability, those who don't and get on base do little to help the team offensively in the long run. Here's the best catchers ob% for guys who slug below .400 this past decade.

SEASON
2000-2008
C
PLATE APPEARANCES >= 200
SLG <= .400
RUNS CREATED/GAME vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria

OBA YEAR OBA PA SLG RC/G
1 Jason Kendall 2004 .399 658 .390 0.71
2 Russell Martin 2008 .385 650 .396 0.52
3 Mike Redmond 2002 .372 290 .387 0.26
4 Gregg Zaun 2004 .367 392 .393 -.02
5 Jason Kendall 2006 .367 626 .342 -.75
6 Ronny Paulino 2006 .360 481 .394 -.43
7 Brad Ausmus 2000 .357 604 .365 -1.07
8 Gregg Zaun 2005 .355 512 .373 -.26
9 Chad Kreuter 2001 .355 234 .377 -.60
10 Jarrod Saltalamacchia 2008 .352 230 .364 -.32

Johnny Footstool
08-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Chris Snyder from AZ would be a nice pickup. He's been struggling with injuries this season and has lost his starting spot to Miguel Montero, so it might be possible to buy low.

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM
I would've voted yes but, like Homer Bailey, the way you phrased it made it a no vote for me.

"Do the Reds' Need to make a major move to address the Catcher position before 2010?"

We'll need a veteran to complement Hanigan but I don't think it has to be a "major" move.

Here are the projected FA catchers:

Catchers
Josh Bard BOS
Henry Blanco SD
Ramon Castro CWS
Ramon Hernandez * CIN
Jason Kendall MIL
Jason LaRue STL
Victor Martinez * CLE
Benji Molina SF
Jose Molina NYY
Miguel Olivo * KC
Mike Redmond MIN
Brian Schneider NYM
Yorvit Torrealba * COL
Jason Varitek * BOS
Gregg Zaun * BAL

We don't need VMart or Benji. A 2nd year of Hernandez or maybe Kendall for a year could work.

Scrap Irony
08-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Agreed. Back-up catchers are easy to find. Of course, I'd love for Hanigan to be the back-up, with a better catcher in front of him, but that's not cost-effective. My guess is that Jocketty targets Torrealba and he and Hanigan split time.

M2
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Have Hanigan and Mike Redmond ever been seen together? Because I'm not sure they're not the same person.

Hanigan is what he is: a guy who can get on base a bit and hold his own behind the plate. Play him every day and pitchers are going to realize how easy it is to knock the bat out of his hands. He has no power. He's the B catcher, and a good one. The A catcher remains an unknown.

The Reds do need to address that situation. Whether they will is another matter entirely.

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
To say that he's held his own behind the plate is an understatement. If you're implying that a player can't be a starter without power I'd disagree. There are quite a few players in the majors that are doing just fine with very little or no power. Hey, if we could have Benji and Hanigan that would be great. But NOT at the expense of a decent shortstop/leftfielder.

nate
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM
To say that he's held his own behind the plate is an understatement. If you're implying that a player can't be a starter without power I'd disagree.

Good teams that have a regular who's a judy hitter usually have a lineup of thumpers or an otherworldy pitching staff. But they don't run Taveras and Gonzales out there in addition to Earl Scruggs.

GOYA
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Tatum is a AAA catcher filling in for a disabled player. He is not a ML catcher right now. That has to be addressed but it is not a major deal. Hanigan everyday suits me fine.

If they left Tatum as backup and addressed other more important areas, that would suit me fine too.

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Good teams that have a regular who's a judy hitter usually have a lineup of thumpers or an otherworldy pitching staff. But they don't run Taveras and Gonzales out there in addition to Earl Scruggs.
The Angels say hi. :wave:

BRM
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM

You mean the Angels who are 3rd in all of baseball in slugging? I'd say they prove nate's point well. That team has plenty of thump.

nate
08-03-2009, 12:09 PM

Napoli's SLG is > .533.

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 12:10 PM
And they're also 14th in homers. Nate did say a lineup of "thumpers".

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Napoli's SLG is > .533.
I'm aware of what his slg% is nate. You said a lineup of thumpers. Call me crazy but when I hear the word thumper in relation to power hitters I tend to think of guys that hit 30+ hrs. They may have ONE this year and that's it.

BRM
08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
And they're also 14th in homers. Nate did say a lineup of "thumpers".

A high slugging percentage means a team is "thumping" in my opinion.

nate
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm aware of what his slg% is nate. You said a lineup of thumpers. Call me crazy but when I hear the word thumper in relation to power hitters I tend to think of guys that hit 30+ hrs. They may have ONE this year and that's it.

I think of "thump" as SLG.

They have 5 guys whose OPS > .800.

You don't get that by killing gophers.

GOYA
08-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Who is more of a problem:

Hanigan or AGon?
Hanigan or Taveras
Hanigan or Bruce?

Priorities.

Put production at SS, CF and RF and Hanigan will look great. A .900 OPS catcher is a luxury the Reds can't afford.

BRM
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM

Hanigan or AGon?
Hanigan or Taveras
Hanigan or Bruce?

Priorities.

Put production at SS, CF and RF and Hanigan will look great. A .900 OPS catcher is a luxury the Reds can't afford.

I agree with you but good production at SS won't come cheap either.

redsfandan
08-03-2009, 12:37 PM
This thread went a little off topic with defining what a "thumper" is. But I agree that a team can only have so many starters with little to no power. Preferably only 1 or 2 since you can't count on pitchers to hit like Owings. I've no problem with Hanigan being one of those players. I'd prefer to focus on upgrading the power from short/center instead but that's just me.

Edd Roush

Hanigan or AGon?
Hanigan or Taveras
Hanigan or Bruce?

Priorities.

GOYA, do you consider Bruce a problem that needs to be addressed? Is this miserable, injury-shortened season enough to make you want to go out and acquire another outfielder to play right?

M2

Hanigan or AGon?
Hanigan or Taveras
Hanigan or Bruce?

Priorities.

Or, instead of constantly trying to get away with something, what if the Reds went out and actually put together a good ballclub?

We've all watched enough baseball to know what happens when Judy hitters like Hanigan get overexposed. Help is help and the Reds need help all over the field.

Chip R
08-03-2009, 12:40 PM

Count on it.

I'm sure if we asked the Braves real nice we could get David Ross back.

Cyclone792
08-03-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm sure if we asked the Braves real nice we could get David Ross back.

A whole bunch of ladies that hang out at the local Cincinnati watering holes would be glad if the Hound Dog made his way back to the Reds.

Chip R
08-03-2009, 12:52 PM
A whole bunch of ladies that hang out at the local Cincinnati watering holes would be glad if the Hound Dog made his way back to the Reds.

He probably couldn't catch them either.

GOYA
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
GOYA, do you consider Bruce a problem that needs to be addressed? Is this miserable, injury-shortened season enough to make you want to go out and acquire another outfielder to play right?

That Bruce is loaded with talent is not really a question. Whether he has helped or hurt the Reds this year isn't a question either. Personally, I would have liked to see Bruce stay at Louisville all of 2008. But it is water under the bridge now. I would not replace Bruce but I wouldn't run him out there everyday if he is not producing either. Give him a couple of days off and send him to Louisville so Smokey could work with him. It's obvious Jacoby hasn't done anything for him.

The injury doesn't come into play.

HokieRed
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Or, instead of constantly trying to get away with something, what if the Reds went out and actually put together a good ballclub?

We've all watched enough baseball to know what happens when Judy hitters like Hanigan get overexposed. Help is help and the Reds need help all over the field.

Agree. This is the way the org. needs to address this and all questions. It's the primary thing I find encouraging about the Rolen move.

GOYA
08-03-2009, 01:39 PM

What happens when a guy that hits for good average, good OBP, but little power gets "overexposed"? Hanigan has steadily put up good numbers both at Louisville and Cincy. He could easily be part of a good ballclub. Just don't bat him 3-4-5.

The Reds don't need help all over the field. But they damn sure need help at SS and the outfield.

M2
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
What happens when a guy that hits for good average, good OBP, but little power gets "overexposed"?

Pitchers figure out they've got nothing to lose by going right after him and it tends to drop his BB rate. It happened to Jason Kendall when he lost his power. Mike Redmond wasn't able to maintain that 9.4% BB rate he posted during his first full season in the majors at age 28. Pitchers are going to have a book on Hanigan soon enough.

Hanigan's going to have to hit about .290 just to keep his OB above .340. You're looking at roughly a .700 OPS and a 4.3 RC/27. A good team certainly can survive that from the catching spot, but it's not much in the way of help and every little bit below that takes a bite out of your team.

corkedbat
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
It would be nice to have Johnny Bench backed up by Benito Santiago, but there aren't that many good ones (espcially with solid bats) and the ones there are, are very expensive in terms of talent and dollars. This team has a lot of holes and while I would like an upgrade at Catcher, it's not the top of my priorities (TOR starter, big LF bat, young SS are).

I love Hanigan, and while he might be the backup C in an ideal situation, I have no problem with him as the starter. I would like to have another catcher of at least a similar skill level to pair with him though. I'd rather watch Tatum's development in Louisville another year and have him there in case of injury.

If Hanigan/Tatum is the catching tandem coming out of spring training next year though, I don't think it will be the colossal mistake that status quo at SS would be - especially if they can add another solid bat and arm to the lineup and rotation respectively.

jojo
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
He probably couldn't catch them either.

Not with someone sliding home anyway....

Ltlabner
08-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Hannigan is a great backup doing a fine job.

Let's not "Keppeninger" him by handing him the keys to the starting role.

Chip R
08-03-2009, 03:04 PM
If we're looking for a veteran catcher with a little pop who can switch hit, there's someone sitting at home right now who's tanned, rested and ready. :luvu:

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players_l/20090407/5915.jpg?x=106&y=138&xc=1&yc=1&wc=165&hc=215&q=100&sig=3jIda8gEzxFNWsGYLTrKzA--

BRM
08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
If we're looking for a veteran catcher with a little pop who can switch hit, there's someone sitting at home right now who's tanned, rested and ready. :luvu:

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/v/mlb/players_l/20090407/5915.jpg?x=106&y=138&xc=1&yc=1&wc=165&hc=215&q=100&sig=3jIda8gEzxFNWsGYLTrKzA--

I am shocked it took you this long to make that post. ;)

GOYA
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Pitchers figure out they've got nothing to lose by going right after him and it tends to drop his BB rate. It happened to Jason Kendall when he lost his power. Mike Redmond wasn't able to maintain that 9.4% BB rate he posted during his first full season in the majors at age 28. Pitchers are going to have a book on Hanigan soon enough.

Hanigan's going to have to hit about .290 just to keep his OB above .340. You're looking at roughly a .700 OPS and a 4.3 RC/27. A good team certainly can survive that from the catching spot, but it's not much in the way of help and every little bit below that takes a bite out of your team.

It takes a bite out of a team that has better to start with. Have you noticed Hanigan having any problem hitting .290? You don't think pitchers have a book on Hanigan now?

Chip R
08-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I am shocked it took you this long to make that post. ;)

I just got back from vacation last night. :dunno:

BRM
08-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I just got back from vacation last night. :dunno:

Visiting Javy?

M2
08-03-2009, 04:05 PM
It takes a bite out of a team that has better to start with. Have you noticed Hanigan having any problem hitting .290? You don't think pitchers have a book on Hanigan now?

No, I don't. He's still relatively new. Most teams have barely seen him. Yet they will figure him out and gang up on him.

Building on what Ltlabner said about Keppinger, once you start to play Hanigan every day his weaknesses get even more exposed and he doesn't get as favorable a set of matchups and his numbers will plummet. Change his role and you will change his results, almost certainly for the worse given the kind of player he is.

Chip R
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Visiting Javy?

That would be more like a pilgrimage.

Strikes Out Looking
08-03-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd go with Hannigan and find someone with experience and ability that is cheaper than Hernandez that can catch 60-80 games. I'd love to see Jason Larue come back to team up with Hannigan.

I would stay away from David Ross like he is the plague because he couldn't catch the plague if it was thrown like a laser beam from Jay Bruce.

TheNext44
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Just to note, the Reds have gone 1-12 since putting Hernandez on the DL.

Not that this says anything about Hanigan, especially since he was hurt for a bit of it, nor that the Reds would have done that much better if Hernandez was on the DL during this stretch, but I think it might show that having a veteran catcher can be underrated.

I am all for buying out Hernandez and signing him at a very reduced rate (which should be easy considering he is coming off an injury) and having him split time with Hanigan next year. I think instead of making Hanigan the everyday catcher, play him around 80 games and Hernandez around 80 games, or Hanigan 90 games and Hernadez 70 games, or something close to an even split.

I think Hanigan should get more playing time than he saw this year, but I am not convinced that without a power surge, that he can keep his numbers up playing everyday.
And I really like having a vet like Hernandez on the team.

osuceltic
08-03-2009, 05:40 PM

Not that this says anything about Hanigan, especially since he was hurt for a bit of it, nor that the Reds would have done that much better if Hernandez was on the DL during this stretch, but I think it might show that having a veteran catcher can be underrated.

I am all for buying out Hernandez and signing him at a very reduced rate (which should be easy considering he is coming off an injury) and having him split time with Hanigan next year. I think instead of making Hanigan the everyday catcher, play him around 80 games and Hernandez around 80 games, or Hanigan 90 games and Hernadez 70 games, or something close to an even split.

I think Hanigan should get more playing time than he saw this year, but I am not convinced that without a power surge, that he can keep his numbers up playing everyday.
And I really like having a vet like Hernandez on the team.

I was about to post something similar to this. I hope they buy him out and sign him to a reasonable deal. He's the perfect guy for this team. Then Hanigan can be what he should be -- a high-quality backup capable of virtually splitting time with Hernandez.

jojo
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
If Hernandez is the starting catcher on this team in 2010, i'll cry.

Jpup
08-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Yes.

westofyou
08-03-2009, 05:47 PM
I'd go with Hannigan and find someone with experience and ability that is cheaper than Hernandez that can catch 60-80 games. I'd love to see Jason Larue come back to team up with Hannigan.

I would stay away from David Ross like he is the plague because he couldn't catch the plague if it was thrown like a laser beam from Jay Bruce.

Jason LaRue?

Why is the goal to suck even more than now?

400 ab's since he left the Reds and about 30 EBH's and lot's of splinters, and he'll be 36 at teh start of next season.

Just the thought makes me kind of ill.

Edd Roush
08-03-2009, 05:47 PM

Jojo, you have a lot more things to cry about regarding the Reds than Hernandez at starting catcher. If you would cry about this once, I have to imagine you cry about Willy T in center every day.

nate
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Jason LaRue?

400 ab's since he left the Reds and about 30 EBH's and lot's of splinters, and he'll be 36 at teh start of next season.

He's got one heck of a moustache though.

Err, not that it's better than Javy's (was.)

Sorry, I could feel Chip's mind darts.

jojo
08-03-2009, 06:03 PM
Jojo, you have a lot more things to cry about regarding the Reds than Hernandez at starting catcher. If you would cry about this once, I have to imagine you cry about Willy T in center every day.

I had cycled through the stages of grief on that one finally settling into acceptance by the first week of January.

klw
08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
The backup slot should be addressed by adding a low cost vet to spell Hanigan. Hernandez's option should be bought out.

osuceltic
08-03-2009, 06:27 PM

I like Ramon. Good behind the plate, good with the pitching staff (apparently), clutch hitter. At a reasonable price, what's not to like? Of all the things that went wrong this year, I point to Hernandez as a success story.

Strikes Out Looking
08-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Jason LaRue?

I'll admit it, WOY is right and I was wrong. After I made my post, I checked his stats--and they do stink. He must only play well against the Reds, because he kicked their butt earlier this year. But then it seems everyone plays well against the Reds these days.

jojo
08-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I like Ramon. Good behind the plate, good with the pitching staff (apparently), clutch hitter. At a reasonable price, what's not to like? Of all the things that went wrong this year, I point to Hernandez as a success story.

I'd point to him as part of the problem. He's more of a back up than a starter with his near replacement level bat. He's certainly not a solution especially at the cost of his option. I'm left wondering how clutch a hitter can be when he has a wOBA=.306 (OPS= .685) while playing in an offensive environment.

GOYA
08-03-2009, 08:03 PM

The Reds are 25-26 when Hanigan starts and 21-34 the rest of the time.

RedsManRick
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Hannigan is a plus-defending catcher who can get on base. Sure, we need a second major league caliber catcher on the roster, but as a back-up or platoon partner.

I really don't understand why people insist on keeping replacement level talent that costs millions of dollars. If you're going to put a mediocre at best player on the field, at least reap the benefit of having a pre-arb level salary.

mth123
08-04-2009, 03:13 AM
I don't think Hanigan/Tatum is strong enough. Maybe when Tatum has some more success offensively at AAA.

Optimally, a left handed hitting veteran catcher to alternate with Hanigan. Or, Ramon Hernandez, if healthy, at a much reduced salary. Or just another solid guy with Hanigan.

This should not be an area for big expenditure, but the Reds will have to get someone.

Agree, Move - yes. Major move - no.

Edd Roush
08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
I had cycled through the stages of grief on that one finally settling into acceptance by the first week of January.

You're a better man than me. I guess when you see a .276 OBP lead-off hitter trotted out there every day, it is hard for the pain to heal.