PDA

View Full Version : Bengals Predictions for 2009-2010

WMR
08-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Alright, let's read 'em.

I predict Chris Henry stays off the police blotter for the entire season and has 800+ yds. receiving.

eichstadtreds
08-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Another 1,000 yard Season from Chad.
BScott will be starting tailback by the end of the season

BearcatShane
08-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I predict Michael Johnson will provide a pass rush the Bengals haven't seen in quite some time.

Chase Cauffman will be a nice target for Carson.

Andre Caldwell will make a lot a big plays.

Coles will make us forget about T.J.

10 wins.

guttle11
08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Jonathan Joseph finally learns how to catch, and gets 5 picks.

GIDP
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
I predict 2 of our top 4 picks get season ending injuries, and that Pat Simms suffers from a turf toe knocking him out for at least 5 games.

Reds4Life
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
I predict Palmer has a reoccurance of his injury will need surgery, and is out for the season by week 8.

I hope I'm wrong.

cincrazy
08-03-2009, 08:55 PM
I predict Palmer manages to stay healthy, the offensive line gels, Benson provides some stability at tailback and Scott plays the Chris Perry role from 2005, Chad has a bounce back year and Coles fills the gap created by T.J.'s departure, the defense finally creates some kind of pass rush, the linebackers come together as a good unit, and the secondary continues to show promise.

And I also predict a 6-10 record because the Bengals will lose 7 games in the last 2 minutes.

WMR
08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1TxiVhrkZA

sonny
08-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Benson will rush for 3.2 YPC
Palmer will have 30 TDs
OchoCinco will have 1100 yds and 10 TDs
Rey will garner ROY honors

SunDeck
08-04-2009, 06:09 AM
Bob Bratkowski will continue to boggle the mind.

7-9

Redsfaithful
08-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Top 10 defense and a top 10 offense.

Boss-Hog
08-04-2009, 07:15 AM
I think this team has improved their talent level on defense, but their lack of a pass rush (I'm still not sold) and CB depth scare me. My biggest concern, however, is the Offensive Line - they had to be one of the worst, if not the worst, unit in the NFL last season and now, only one player returns to his natural spot. You have three starters with less than ~eight games NFL experience. On top of that, the rookie penciled in at RT is still unsigned (despite picks #6 and #8 being signed above and below his slot). This season hinges on their ability to protect Carson and open holes for the RBs; suffice to say, I have some major concerns with that group. I hope I'm wrong.

Eric_the_Red
08-04-2009, 08:44 AM
I think the team will struggle out of the gate, as Carson attempts to return from injury with a hodge-podge offensive line. Meanwhile Ochocinco will be his usualy self, which means plenty of yards and plenty of complaining and "me first" attitude. By the time the team clicks and starts winning, the first half of the season will have buried any playoff chances, and they must fight to try to get to .500. By December Cincinnati fans are anticipating spring training because surely the Reds will be better this year, right?

In other words, more of the same.

Razor Shines
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
I predict that I am going to be sad that the Bengals aren't on the Colts' schedule this season.

macro
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
If the team does well, Chad Johnson will self-destruct yet again, because the media may pay more attention to the team than it does to him.

bucksfan2
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Carson Palmer should make this team at least a .500 team. The onus of the season rest on the new OLine (which was ranked dead last, last year) and how well the D plays.

GIDP
08-04-2009, 11:31 AM
a cold finish that leads to them missing hte playoffs or losing a 1st round bye

Redsfaithful
08-04-2009, 11:36 AM
My biggest concern, however, is the Offensive Line - they had to be one of the worst, if not the worst, unit in the NFL last season and now, only one player returns to his natural spot.

They were so bad last year that I see this as a positive. I certainly didn't want stability with that unit. Maybe they'll be just as bad this year, but they did address it in the draft. We'll see, hopefully Smith's holdout won't be too long. Mike Brown screws the team every chance he can it seems like.

KoryMac5
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I think the Bengals have upgraded at several positions this season both talent wise and in attitude. My main concern would be the O line which did play better the last few games of the year. Cook seems to be a center in the Rich Braham mold, strong and intelligent, so hopefully the guys can gell together around him.

Palmer is my surprise fantasy football steal this year. If he can get some protection and get on the same page with Chad and Coles, big year for Carson.

The receivers seem solid with Johnson and Coles with Henry as the third. Caldwell seemes poised for a nice follow up season and I imagine we will see his speed on a few reverses and wildcat formations. Jerome Simpson is a project he is like a rule V guy that you want to return to his original team. He is a year away from contributing.

Running game should be improved with Cedric Benson having a season under his belt. He is in camp and in great shape Tank Johnson says he has grown up a lot from his Bears days. I can hope for 1200yds from Ced this season with some nice reception yds mixed in as well. Leonard and Hopkins will back up with a nice change of speed.

I love Zimmer's D, wish Marvin had brought this guy in sooner to replace Chuck. He gets the most out of his players and they love and respect his honesty. Tank and Roy are big additions to the young guns and I have a feeling that Rey's jersey sales will surpass any other Bengal by midseason. Like Boss said earlier if Joseph goes down the Bengals have little depth behind them. I am sure the Bengals will scour the waiver wire for possible preseason cuts.

Rookie punters are a coin toss sometimes hopefully the Bengals found a gem in Huber.

Lots of question marks remain but there seem to be answers on this years team. I have been a fan since 1981 and I can honestly admit I am excited about this years team. If we avoid the injury bug, I say 9-7 and a playoff run.

Boss-Hog
08-04-2009, 11:58 AM
They were so bad last year that I see this as a positive. I certainly didn't want stability with that unit. Maybe they'll be just as bad this year, but they did address it in the draft. We'll see, hopefully Smith's holdout won't be too long. Mike Brown screws the team every chance he can it seems like.
I agree - I didn't want any sort of stability from last year's porous unit, either, but I think it's a legitimate concern to have so many new faces in new spots.

Kingspoint
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Bengals Predictions for 2009-2010:

Worst Offensive Line in the NFL through the first 8 games according to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Top-10 Overall Defense at the end of the season according to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Bratkowski will try to fit square pegs into round holes. (trying to have Utecht block instead of catch passes, as he did 2-3 years ago when he led the entire NFL in catch percentage).

Luigs becomes the starting Center before year's end.

MWM
08-04-2009, 08:24 PM
Defense a little better, but an awful offensive line means no running game. And no running game will lead to tons a pressure on Carson and an ugly overall offensive performance.

I'm feeling more optimistic than last year though so I'm going to go with 6-10. But I'd take the under if forced. Losing is part of the culture. I don't see anything that will change that this year. And offensive line is the most important piece of any football team. Not surprisingly, the one good season they've had in the past almost two decades was the season they had a strong O-line.

Playadlc
08-05-2009, 05:45 AM
It all comes down to health. If the Bengals O-line remains in tact, I see a 9-7, maybe even 10-6 type season. If any of them miss a significant amount of time, it could get ugly.

Week 3 with Pittsburgh coming to town is going to be big. I am sick and damn tired of watching that team beat us in Cincinnati. It's got to end.

Cyclone792
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM
MWM pretty much pinned my take as well. I'll be a bit more optimistic and go with 7-9, but either way that's on the outside looking in for the playoffs so it doesn't matter too much.

WVRed
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
I think it comes down to how everybody else ends up doing in the AFC North that plays a role in the Bengals outcome this season. The wildcard is going to be Baltimore and whether or not they break the trend of inconsistency that they have had in the past.

I don't think Cleveland will end up being much of a threat. If anything, they will probably be a top 5 draft pick team again next season. Didn't like the Mangini hire and the talent has dropped off considerably.

Pittsburgh is in a league of their own and will probably run away with the AFC North. Cincinnati and Baltimore will likely fight for a wildcard spot.

That being said, I am going with 9-7 and just missing the playoffs. Just good enough to keep Marvin's job.

Benihana
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM

Worst Offensive Line in the NFL through the first 8 games according to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Top-10 Overall Defense at the end of the season according to www.footballoutsiders.com .

Bratkowski will try to fit square pegs into round holes. (trying to have Utecht block instead of catch passes, as he did 2-3 years ago when he led the entire NFL in catch percentage).

x2.

If Andre Smith signs soon and pans out, Cedric Benson rushes for 1000 yards, and they'll go 9-7.
If Andre Smith holds out and/or is a bust, Cedric Benson is not starting by season's end (for one reason or another), they'll go 6-10.

The defense will be much improved.

Highlifeman21
08-06-2009, 10:30 AM
6-10

Chad Johnson released

DTCromer
08-06-2009, 01:28 PM
If they Bengals don't go at least .500 this year with that schedule, then there's no hope for this franchise.

WeLoveLarkin!!!
08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
i'm a niners fan, but the bengals are my dark horse pick this year. don't let me down. :beerme:

Hoosier Red
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
If they Bengals don't go at least .500 this year with that schedule, then there's no hope for this franchise.

There are so many other signs that theres no hope for this franchise, using something as arbitrary as a record this year seems pointless:)

Cyclone792
08-06-2009, 02:41 PM
Here's a prediction I'm pretty happy about that just fell in my lap this morning ...

I'm going to Lambeau Field on September 20th for the Bengals/Packers game! Anybody been to Lambeau and have any tips? I'm going there for the experience of the stadium and atmosphere more than anything else; seeing the Bengals just a little bonus.

Mario-Rijo
08-10-2009, 03:39 AM
10-6 & Playoffs sans another year of severe injury issues. I did tell Lockdwn11 during this past SB that the Bengals will be there this year, a wee stretch perhaps but I do believe they are a playoff team. I do think the O-Line is the key to the season and losing a critical player like Kelly hurts that big time. But I still believe running the ball and defense will be king for a change and we make the playoffs. The only thing that can screw it all up is Bratkowski not recognizing he has a run the ball O-Line and trying to pass the ball 40 times a game.

PickOff
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I predict the following:

Brat will call the 3rd and draw when the defense knows he will call the play about 5 times too many - but still manage to rely on the play less than any other season he has been offensive coordinator

Jeremi Johnson will be called for a false start on the first series of the season

Chris Henry will have 6 TDs in the first 8 games

and

a TE will finally be utilized in the passing game like we haven't seen since Rodney Holman was in his prime

WVRed
08-10-2009, 05:37 PM
10-6 & Playoffs sans another year of severe injury issues. I did tell Lockdwn11 during this past SB that the Bengals will be there this year, a wee stretch perhaps but I do believe they are a playoff team. I do think the O-Line is the key to the season and losing a critical player like Kelly hurts that big time. But I still believe running the ball and defense will be king for a change and we make the playoffs. The only thing that can screw it all up is Bratkowski not recognizing he has a run the ball O-Line and trying to pass the ball 40 times a game.

I hate to say this, but I believe losing Kelly could be a blessing in disguise.

Ben Utecht and Chase Coffman are pass catching TE's who will now likely be more utilized with Kelly out.

Kingspoint
08-15-2009, 05:31 PM
All of Carson's audibles will continue to be runs between the Right Guard and Right Tackle.

jojo
08-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Here's a prediction I'm pretty happy about that just fell in my lap this morning ...

I'm going to Lambeau Field on September 20th for the Bengals/Packers game! Anybody been to Lambeau and have any tips? I'm going there for the experience of the stadium and atmosphere more than anything else; seeing the Bengals just a little bonus.

It's now cheaper to mail the cheese back home than to carry it on the plane.

Matt700wlw
08-16-2009, 06:28 PM
6-10.

dsmith421
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
All of Carson's audibles will continue to be runs between the Right Guard and Right Tackle.

I'm glad that someone else has noticed this. Since 2006 I'm guessing 80% of the time Carson changes the play at the line it results in an inside handoff.

My prediction: the Bengals again get off to an absolutely horrible season-killing start (I'm seeing 1-6), then do their standard dead cat bounce against the Detroits and Oaklands of the world and finish 7-9. Mike Brown states that a corner has been turned, etc.

It would be foolish to expect anything else from this organization.

bucksfan2
08-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Here is the way I think the Bengals will go based upon the season. Granted there will be a few major injuries which may swing the game in one direction or another.

1 Sun, Sep 13 Denver W
The McDaniels era begins and the Bengals should beat the Broncos. The Broncos may be one of the worst teams in football this season.

2 Sun, Sep 20 at Green Bay L
Could be a toss up game, especially coming off an opening day win. Is Arron Rogers the real deal? Many thought he was but he led them to a lackluster season last year.

3 Sun, Sep 27 Pittsburgh L
Should be a competitive game. If the Bengals are for real they win this game. It could be a 2-1 start but more than likely the Bengals start the season 1-2.

4 Sun, Oct 4 at Cleveland W
I don't like the Browns this season. I see a QB controversy as well as a micromanaging head coach. The Bengals should win this game.

5 Sun, Oct 11 at Baltimore L
Another toss up game. I think the Ravens are due for a fall back season. It is also the 5th week of the season and injuries could play a toll in this game. Is Flaco for real? That could be the determining factor in this game.

6 Sun, Oct 18 Houston W
Houston will probably be the darling pick this season again. The Bengals should beat them at home.

7 Sun, Oct 25 Chicago W
IMO another toss up game. Chicago should be good but their lack of WR's could hurt Cutler's game. Another aging D who could be banged up by the time they come to Cincy. IMO if the Bengals are in the midst of a good season they win this game, if not tack up another loss.

8 -- bye -- -- --
They can't lose this game can they?

9 Sun, Nov 8 Baltimore W
9th week and how healthy are the Ravens. They count a lot on older players, notabily Ed Reed and Ray Lewis. Do they play in this game.

10 Sun, Nov 15 at Pittsburgh L
Don't see the Bengals beating Pitt in Pitt.

11 Sun, Nov 22 at Oakland W
The Raiders may be a more inept front office than the Bengals. The Bengals break their west coast skid with this win.

12 Sun, Nov 29 Cleveland W
See above.

13 Sun, Dec 6 Detroit W
Should be a no brainier. Unfortunately if the season is heading down hill the Bengals may lost this game.

14 Sun, Dec 13 at Minnesota L
Tough game especially away. But Sage or Taveras and Co. will make this game a little easier.

15 Sun, Dec 20 at San Diego L
Tough trip for the Bengals. Injuries could play a big role in this game.

16 Sun, Dec 27 Kansas City W
You buying Cassel and co? One good year with Randy Moss doesn't make a QB. Struggled last year in the Red Zone.

17 Sun, Jan 3 at NY Jets W
This could be a big game. I don't think the Jets are going anywhere, and Sanchez will probably be the starting QB.

This equals on to 10-6, best case scenario the Bengals go 11-5. Worst case scenario the Bengals go 5-11. I have said it before, Carson makes this team an 8-8 team if he is healthy and playing. A better D as well as a few good breaks and the Bengals could be right back in the hunt.

flyer85
08-17-2009, 04:19 PM
7-9 ... there isn't much to get excited about. 1 winning season in 18 years, I think I detect a trend.

Benihana
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
If this continues, they won't win 7 games...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/18/bengals-holdout-smith-not-close-to-signing/

jojo
08-19-2009, 01:43 AM
Smith is a headcase anyway-kind of a perfect embodiment of everything that has been dysfunctional about the Bengals....

His hold out is looking like it'll cost any chance of him being a productive player this season. As for the rest of his career, he'll be rich and the odds are 50/50 that he'll give enough of a crap to accomplish anything that would require sweat equity.

The Bengals and Smith kind of deserve each other.

BTW, none of this rant is a reaction to the hold out.

guttle11
08-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Katie and company are offering less than last year's #6 pick, and much less than the guy taken after Smith.

WHO DEY!

flyer85
08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Smith is a headcase anyway-kind of a perfect embodiment of everything that has been dysfunctional about the Bengals....

His hold out is looking like it'll cost any chance of him being a productive player this season. As for the rest of his career, he'll be rich and the odds are 50/50 that he'll give enough of a crap to accomplish anything that would require sweat equity.

The Bengals and Smith kind of deserve each other.

BTW, none of this rant is a reaction to the hold out.the red flags about character and commitment came up well before the draft, yet the Bengal chose to ignore them.

Hoosier Red
08-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Chad Ochocinco leads the league in scoring with 10 TD's 30 FG's and 32 PAT's.

LoganBuck
08-20-2009, 10:34 PM

A Fantasy Football Owner's Erotic Dream.

dsmith421
08-20-2009, 10:59 PM
You have to give Chad some credit, he absolutely striped both the PAT and the kickoff.

A couple of years ago the Bengals beat the Ravens 27-21 on Opening Night...one of the critical junctures in that game occurred when Graham had an ouchie and was unable to kick a PAT in the first half, which Kyle Larson shanked because that's just how Kyle Larson does. Would have been nice to know about Chad's hidden talent then.

CTA513
08-20-2009, 11:00 PM

His point after attempt for anyone who missed it:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-preseason/09000d5d81208a91/Pre-WK-1-Can-t-Miss-Play-Ocho-hits-the-uprights

acredsfan
08-20-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm a little discouraged about the lack of quality depth at most defensive positions on this team. I think they should be 10-6 at the very least this year with Palmer back and Ochocinco in better spirits and health. The threat of a passing game if they can establish it early will help some with the O-line inexperience, but if not watch out. Their Defense will be better, but I only currently see it as a middle of the pack D with the possibility of being around 7th-10th best if everything goes well.

All of that said, I want to believe they can be better than 10-6, but I also know it is just as likely they are going to be much worse. The NFL has great parity and if you let your intensity faulter for just a little bit, then you won't win. The Bengals haven't proven they can sustain their intensity consistently.

On a side note, why do so many people spell Aaron wrong? I constantly see people spell it "Arron" instead. I just notice it so much because my name is Aaron, and I think people spell my name wrong more often than they get it right, and it's a common name.

guttle11
08-21-2009, 12:33 AM
Chad apparently wants to change his name again, to Esteban Ochocinco.

redsmetz
08-21-2009, 11:51 AM
You have to give Chad some credit, he absolutely striped both the PAT and the kickoff.

A couple of years ago the Bengals beat the Ravens 27-21 on Opening Night...one of the critical junctures in that game occurred when Graham had an ouchie and was unable to kick a PAT in the first half, which Kyle Larson shanked because that's just how Kyle Larson does. Would have been nice to know about Chad's hidden talent then.

I don't follow the Bengals this early, so my son asked me if I'd seen the kicks. He told me to check them on Youtube. Very impressive and kind of fun too.

Hoosier Red
08-21-2009, 12:03 PM
You know what I liked? After the made PAT he just put his head down and accepted congratulations from Huber. I'm a big fan of the celebrations after touchdowns so this might sound weird coming from me, but after doing something which is fairly extraordinary, he acted like it was no big thing.

macro
10-05-2009, 08:19 AM
Before the season, I had them at 1-1 after two games, but with opposite results (beating Denver and losing at Green Bay). I felt like if they could split with Pittsburgh and split with Baltimore, they could go 9-7 or 10-6, so I'm still hopeful for that. If they hold to their historical form, though, they'll lose one or two games that they should have won and end up 8-8 or 7-9. Yesterday was a prime example, but at least they got away with the win.

.500 seems to be this franchise's comfort zone, when they're not going 3-13 or 4-12. Since 1983, they've finished within one game of .500 twelve (12) times and with three/four wins eight (8) other times.

Throw out the two Super Bowl seasons and they've won 10 or more games only twice since 1976. At that point, following the 1976 season, they had just finished a stretch of three seasons out of four with 10+ wins, and that was in the days when the league only played 14 games in the regular season.

cincrazy
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
I predict Palmer manages to stay healthy, the offensive line gels, Benson provides some stability at tailback and Scott plays the Chris Perry role from 2005, Chad has a bounce back year and Coles fills the gap created by T.J.'s departure, the defense finally creates some kind of pass rush, the linebackers come together as a good unit, and the secondary continues to show promise.

And I also predict a 6-10 record because the Bengals will lose 7 games in the last 2 minutes.

The reverse is happening. The Bengals may WIN 7 games in the last 2 minutes. I'm in the twilight zone.

Eric_the_Red
10-05-2009, 12:35 PM
This team is a mystery to me. They could just as easily be 4-0 as 0-4. I have no idea what to expect, not even game to game, but drive to drive.

guttle11
10-05-2009, 01:33 PM
Jonathan Joseph finally learns how to catch, and gets 5 picks.

2 down, three to go.

traderumor
10-05-2009, 02:58 PM
This team is a mystery to me. They could just as easily be 4-0 as 0-4. I have no idea what to expect, not even game to game, but drive to drive.an enigma wrapped in a riddle. You could say that you can expect that you do not know what to expect.

sonny
12-29-2009, 09:31 PM
Holy Thread Bumping Batman!

This thread is a very funny read.

BuckeyeRedleg
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
This echoes my sentiments exactly.

I must say (even as a glass-half-empty follower of this franchise), that in my opinion, the Bengals have had a very solid off-season to this point.

I like Coles and losing Houshmandzadeh was inevitable. Considering his age, I did not feel comfortable paying him what Seattle did. Stacey Andrews and Eric Ghiaciuk were shown the door and that is good. Cedric Benson was brought back and although I'm not totally sold on him, I think it's a good gamble, especially with the current lack of depth at RB. A RB taken in the 4th round would be a good next step to ensure depth (and maybe even a future replacement) and good ones can be had in that part of the draft. The offensive line is very important, as this club will go nowhere unless they can protect their franchise QB. On the bright side, by re-signing Benson and signing Coles, they have made it very possible to remedy the OL with two of the first three picks in the draft.

Continuity goes a long way and they have ensured that the 12th ranked defense from last year is all returning. Peko, Sims, Shirley, and Harris form a solid interior defensive line. Geathers, Odom, Rucker, and Fanene appear average to me and I hope depth is addressed at this position in the draft (even if there is a bunch of money invested in Geathers and Odom), but overall an average to better than average D-line, with potential to grow.

The LB's were very good last year, and they all return. It is obvious that the Bengals are content with this position, as they made sure they re-signed all of their free agents (Jeanty, Johnson, and Blackstock) and they didn't have to break the bank for any of them. With Rivers coming back at 100% next year, this group will only get better and they have solid depth. A MLB might be a decent target in the draft, but they aren't desperate here.

The secondary looks good as well, especially with the re-signing of Crocker. They are a solid three-deep at CB (Joseph, Hall, Jones) and S (Ndukwe, White, Crocker). With the talent that is already signed here, I see no reason to address anything at these positions in the draft or the rest of free agency.

Now, if you've read any of my posts on the Bengals the past few years, it would be no surprise to you that I'm not a huge fan of Marvin Lewis. However, there is something to say about continuity and that's what the Bengals have by bringing him back. He's already been to the depths of hell with this team and there is no reason he cannot use that to grow as a coach. In my opinion the fact that he's still here can only be a positive in the way he runs things in 2009.

What's that saying?

"What does not kill you can only make you stronger."

I agree with that and think it applies here with Marvin.

This was basically a 4 to 5 win club last year. Think about that for a second. With all the things going against it, they still managed to win 4-5 games, in a tough division, and playing a brutal schedule. They lost their franchise QB. They set a record for most injuries in a season and all to very key personnel. They had arguably the toughest schedule in the NFL (with 4 games vs. the Ravens and Superbowl champ, Steelers). With all that going against them, I don't think it's crazy to think they can win 4-5 more in 2009.

In my opinion, if this club can get the best OT with the #6 pick, then grab a Center with either the 2nd or 3rd round pick, and then snag a RB early on day two, I have every confidence that the 2009 Cincinnati Bengals will win AT LEAST 9 games in 2009, with the potential to win as many as 11. That's right. I say buy and buy big on Bengals stock in 2009. This team is about ready to explode onto the scene and I will not be surprised by it when they do. If you just sit back and analyze everything, removing emotions and frustrations from last two decades, you can see it. It's not that far from happening. They got their franchise QB back. check. They play a schedule that is night and day compared to the one in 2008. check. They have re-signed key personnel and let the others go. check. I'm calling it right now. If this club can stay relatively healthy in 2009, I'm guaranteeing 9-11 wins (I'll go with 10) with a rising path that will take them even farther in 2010 and beyond.
You can feel free to archive this post and bring it back and rub it in my face in 9 months, but I'm telling you that you will not be able to do that. Sit back and enjoy the ride, because for the first time in a while, it's okay to feel good about the state of this franchise. And this is coming from one of the more realistic (negative) Bengal fans around that has told people the past few years that the Bengals were a bad team heading in the wrong direction. Heck, I think I predicted 5 wins before the 2008 season. I predicted 6-8 wins the previous two years before that. I have always been on target with this club, so this is not me just being a contrarian against the popular public opinion regarding this franchise.

So buy and buy big on the Bengals. Of course, I say all of this this as long as they don't do something stupid like taking a RB with the #6 pick, in which case forget about everything I've posted above. LOL.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73779&highlight=Bengals&page=12

Sea Ray
12-30-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm a little discouraged about the lack of quality depth at most defensive positions on this team. I think they should be 10-6 at the very least this year with Palmer back and Ochocinco in better spirits and health. The threat of a passing game if they can establish it early will help some with the O-line inexperience, but if not watch out. Their Defense will be better, but I only currently see it as a middle of the pack D with the possibility of being around 7th-10th best if everything goes well.

Kudos to you Aaron!

Same to you Buckeyeredleg, good call:thumbup:

I thought they could do this well too but you know how these things usually turn out around here. I've become a show me guy. I have to give my props to them and I don't care how ugly the wins are. 10 wins is a rare occurrence around here

Deepred05
12-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Disappointing that no Bengals made the pro bowl. Perhaps this could motivate them thru the playoffs....

Redsfaithful
12-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Top 10 defense and a top 10 offense.

Hey I was half right.

KoryMac5
12-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Disappointing that no Bengals made the pro bowl. Perhaps this could motivate them thru the playoffs....

Plays into what Zimmer has been preaching all season long.

Kingspoint
01-07-2010, 07:53 PM

They ended up the 9th worst Offensive Line in the NFL at the end of the season....don't know what their ranking was through 8 games.

Luigs never sniffs the field as Kyle Cook surprises everybody. But, then Nate Livings can't stay on the field because of some stupid ethics thing where starters can't lose their jobs. So, the fact that Luigs didn't get a chance doesn't say anything, really. That's some good depth, though. This also comes from the same 3 coaches that let Ghiaciuc start for three seasons.

Finished 13th in overall Team Defense. But, my favorite stat is Defensive Drive Success Rate where they finished 5th overall. Guess who's #1? Yes. The Jets. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Sea Ray
01-08-2010, 09:51 AM
They ended up the 9th worst Offensive Line in the NFL at the end of the season....don't know what their ranking was through 8 games.

Luigs never sniffs the field as Kyle Cook surprises everybody. But, then Nate Livings can't stay on the field because of some stupid ethics thing where starters can't lose their jobs. So, the fact that Luigs didn't get a chance doesn't say anything, really. That's some good depth, though. This also comes from the same 3 coaches that let Ghiaciuc start for three seasons.

Finished 13th in overall Team Defense. But, my favorite stat is Defensive Drive Success Rate where they finished 5th overall. Guess who's #1? Yes. The Jets. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/drivestats

Where should the Bengals target improving this line for next year?

acredsfan
01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Kudos to you Aaron!

Same to you Buckeyeredleg, good call:thumbup:

I thought they could do this well too but you know how these things usually turn out around here. I've become a show me guy. I have to give my props to them and I don't care how ugly the wins are. 10 wins is a rare occurrence around hereWow, I opened the thread forgetting what I had said in it. I amazed myself. I will refrain from making any post season predictions at the risk of tarnishing my current record on Bengals predictions.

Hoosier Red
01-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Where should the Bengals target improving this line for next year?

A lot of the improvement is going to come from Andre Smith becoming the full fledged starter. An extra year will probably help everyone but Bobbie Williams and fortunately good guards can play forever.