PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for Reds fans to wear paper bags over our heads??

alexad
08-03-2009, 10:17 PM
When will the paperbags come out to cover the faces of Reds fans? If we go to the game, should we start wearing a bag over our heads in protest of Dusty and the way this team is being conducted.

Plastic bags are not an option until the streak hits 12....

Stormy
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Yes, and as bad as we're playing, there's almost an outside shot at catching the Nationals (who for all their historic futility play a much more enjoyable brand of baseball than the Reds, of course who doesn't?). Between this brain trust, and our current roster, I think the second worst record in the majors is a cinch.

pahster
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I think Quirk should wear a bag over his head.

MrCinatit
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Paper bags are not for teams which are going through a present-day period of bad play or management, but have been going through it for several years and several terms of bad ownership and management.

So in short, yes. The Reds and the Bengals have become one.

LoganBuck
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
We need to go with reusable ecobags now. I wonder what those would look like in the stands, with eye holes cut in them?

redsfan4445
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
i saw a fan wearing one crossing the street after the reds game Saturday.. i forgot all about that..lol

klw
08-03-2009, 11:35 PM
No because the bags would trap the puke it.

alexad
08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
No because the bags would trap the puke in it.

Now that's funny right chair..

RedsBaron
08-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I wonder how long it will be before the Reds offer paper bags for sale at concession stands at GABP.

cumberlandreds
08-04-2009, 07:08 AM
GAC's been wearing one for a few weeks now.

RANDY IN INDY
08-04-2009, 07:18 AM
I have always hated when people do that.

Redhook
08-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Why would any Reds fan go to a game right now? What a waste of time. I was offered free tickets to a game Sunday and turned them down. My time is valuable, and I'll be damned if I waste it watching this garbage.

bucksfan2
08-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I gave up 4 tickets to today's game. I just can't stomach going down to the game and spending money there.

redsfandan
08-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I have always hated when people do that.
Think of it as a protest of the status quo. This will be the 9th straight year of a sub .500 record. That's actually not easy to do. I think Reds fans aren't that picky. We don't need to be in the playoffs every year. Hell, we don't even need to be in the playoff hunt in Sept every year. But to be, realistically, out of the race, by Aug for 9 straight years? I'm impressed. I really am. :clap: :bowrofl:

Tommyjohn25
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM
I have diamond seats on the 16th. I'll be on TV allllllll dayyyyyyy. :devil:

VR
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm leaving for Maui today. I pray that there is no internet access.....as I really need a break from this dreck.

Aloha~

Roy Tucker
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
I realized while watching the game last night that I'm pretty well done with the Reds for this year.

These games are altogether too predictably painful to watch unless you like to watch bad baseball.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm leaving for Maui today. I pray that there is no internet access.....as I really need a break from this dreck.

Aloha~

While you're there, say hi to Milton Loo and see if he'll come back.

IowaRed
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Paper bags, no. Not going would be a better option. I have never watched less (in the satellite TV era) or cared less about a Reds team in over 35 years. The decisions made by this franchise have caused me to not spend any money on merchandise or vacations for regular season games and we have scrapped plans for a spring training vacation 2 years in a row. I'm going to keep the Directv baseball package for now but I won't be spending any other money on the Reds.

Chip R
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
I think we should wear plastic because it's recyclable and it seems that we will be needing them for the next several years.

westofyou
08-04-2009, 10:33 AM
I realized while watching the game last night that I'm pretty well done with the Reds for this year.

These games are altogether too predictably painful to watch unless you like to watch bad baseball.

Yep, the games start at 4:10 here on the coast, by the time I get home they are essentially over, I've blown off more Reds games in the past month and half than I have in the past 10 years combined.

Very 1983-1984 for me... on the other hand I see a lot of other baseball too and I can ensure that the Reds are the least interesting club in franchise history in 25 years, this team is more boring than dinner jazz, less tasty than rice cakes, and about as exciting as a trip to the beauty parlor was when I was 7.

princeton
08-04-2009, 10:35 AM
I think we should wear plastic because it's recyclable and it seems that we will be needing them for the next several years.

2015 baby!

also, the plastic might asphyxiate the luckier ones among us

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Was at BW3's last night for a late dinner.

I glanced up at the big screen and thought "I wonder how bad the Reds are losing" before seeing the score. I pretty much just assume they will be losing a baseball game at any given time.

Razor Shines
08-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Yep, the games start at 4:10 here on the coast, by the time I get home they are essentially over, I've blown off more Reds games in the past month and half than I have in the past 10 years combined.

Me too. I kind of wish I had gone month to month with mlb.tv. I get plenty of Rangers and Astros games (plus national games) for free when I want to see baseball.

Cyclone792
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Here's how I can tell my interest has disappeared: I've been to exactly one Reds game at GABP since June 1st (I did attend two Reds @ Nats games in Washington in mid June).

I'll likely get to one or two more games the rest of the season just to watch some live baseball, but that'll be it. I'm typically only watching an inning or two on television each night the last few weeks, if I even flip the game on at all.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Here's how I can tell my interest has disappeared: I've been to exactly one Reds game at GABP since June 1st (I did attend two Reds @ Nats games in Washington in mid June).

My father and I keep going, but it's only because he bought the 20 game package. If he hadn't, I highly doubt I'd be stepping foot into GABP.

My only interest in going now is see what the food selection at the Champions Club will be that night. Well, that and trying to eat as many of the warm cinnamon bread sticks as I can stomach before I barf.

Roy Tucker
08-04-2009, 10:52 AM

I'll likely get to one or two more games the rest of the season just to watch some live baseball, but that'll be it. I'm typically only watching an inning or two on television each night the last few weeks, if I even flip the game on at all.

To show you how bad its gotten for me, I watched Jon and Kate + 8 with my daughter last night instead of the Reds. That's pretty darn sad.

There just isn't any reason, no interesting players or stories, just .... nothing to warrant watching this team. And I'm about as die-hard of a Reds fan as you can get.

BRM
08-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I thought the paper bag over the head was just a standard part of Ltabner's daily attire.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought the paper bag over the head was just a standard part of Ltabner's daily attire.

No, but the cape is.

nate
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM
My father and I keep going, but it's only because he bought the 20 game package. If he hadn't, I highly doubt I'd be stepping foot into GABP.

My only interest in going now is see what the food selection at the Champions Club will be that night. Well, that and trying to eat as many of the warm cinnamon bread sticks as I can stomach before I barf.

The barfing isn't from the cinnamon breadsticks.

nate
08-04-2009, 10:59 AM

That and the "#3ROX" codpiece.

BRM
08-04-2009, 11:13 AM
That and the "#3ROX" codpiece.

The codpiece and the cape makes for quite the striking look.

RedsBaron
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Very 1983-1984 for me...

In 1983-84 the Reds had in their farm system, or soon added, Eric Davis, Tom Browning, Barry Larkin, Paul O'Neill, Kal Daniels, et al. Do they have that kind of talent in the farm system now?
I can't see Rolen having a career revival as good as Dave Parker did in 1984-87.
I sure do not foresee the excitement this time around that Pete Rose brought to the Reds by his return in 1984 (of course that didn't turn out too well in the end).
My point is that the team may be in worse shape now that it was in 1983-84, and Bob Howsam ain't coming back.

membengal
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Yes, and as bad as we're playing, there's almost an outside shot at catching the Nationals (who for all their historic futility play a much more enjoyable brand of baseball than the Reds, of course who doesn't?). Between this brain trust, and our current roster, I think the second worst record in the majors is a cinch.

Let's linger on this for a moment. They have a shot, not a great one, but still, a shot, to have the Nats catch them.

That's, well, wow.

membengal
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
In 1983-84 the Reds had in their farm system, or soon added, Eric Davis, Tom Browning, Barry Larkin, Paul O'Neill, Kal Daniels, et al. Do they have that kind of talent in the farm system now?
I can't see Rolen having a career revival as good as Dave Parker did in 1984-87.
I sure do not foresee the excitement this time around that Pete Rose brought to the Reds by his return in 1984 (of course that didn't turn out too well in the end).
My point is that the team may be in worse shape now that it was in 1983-84, and Bob Howsam ain't coming back.

My problem with Rolen is he is the parallel to the Buddy Bell acquisition mid-80s. But that acquisition made sense because it was building on moves already made, like the FA signing of Dave Parker.

I still don't see a plan here.

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Granted the Reds have been devastated by injuries, but...

Reds - 416 runs scored, 507 runs allowed. Expected record: 43-62. Actual record: 45-60

Nationals - 473 runs scored, 581 runs allowed. Expected record: 43-63. Actual record: 34-72.

klw
08-04-2009, 01:03 PM
To show you how bad its gotten for me, I watched Jon and Kate + 8 with my daughter last night instead of the Reds. That's pretty darn sad.

Well even Jon and Kate have had a better last couple of months than the Reds.

nate
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Granted the Reds have been devastated by injuries, but...

Reds - 416 runs scored, 507 runs allowed. Expected record: 43-62. Actual record: 45-60

Nationals - 473 runs scored, 581 runs allowed. Expected record: 43-63. Actual record: 34-72.

Ow.

redsmetz
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Well even Jon and Kate have had a better last couple of months than the Reds.

Babe Ruth on being paid a higher salary than President Hoover: I had a better year. About the same, no?