View Full Version : Why Drew Sutton didnt pinch hit for Taveras

GIDP
08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Straight from Dustys mouth via John Fay

I'm not sending the kid up there in that situation,"

:rolleyes:

Jack Burton
08-03-2009, 11:13 PM
Dusty needs to go on the DL, incompetence.

FlyerFanatic
08-03-2009, 11:13 PM
JOKE...absolute garbage. FIRE DUSTY

Shawn_RedsFan
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Why not Rolen, they said before game he was available to PH...then you just replace Rolen with Sutton if it goes to extras. ;)

GIDP
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Why not Rolen, they said before game he was available to PH...then you just replace Rolen with Sutton if it goes to extras. ;)

He said he wasnt available in fays post game.

Shawn_RedsFan
08-03-2009, 11:21 PM
He said he wasnt available in fays post game.

oh hmm, guess ESPN and FSN are lying to us then :p:

Mutaman
08-03-2009, 11:21 PM
Drew Sutton ???

Plus Plus
08-03-2009, 11:36 PM
Did anyone who watched the game see a different possible outcome than a crappy groundout by Taveras?

I would pinch hit with Arroyo before sending up Taveras there.

sivman17
08-04-2009, 02:33 AM
it's an absolute joke.. he can't even get the ball to the outfield in that situation. absolutely pathetic. send ANYONE up there except taveras.

MotownRed
08-04-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree, anyone left on the bench had a better chance of getting the ball out of the infield, except for Taveras.
The inning prior, 2 outs, 2 men on and Janish coming up. Why didnt Gonzalez pinch hit then? Or Sutton, who's had alot more ABs then Janish the past few days. That was 2 dumb decsions in the last 2 innings.

Girevik
08-04-2009, 07:59 AM
oh hmm, guess ESPN and FSN are lying to us then :p:

Or maybe Rolen WANTED to play, but Baker and/or the medical staff vetoed him.

BLEEDS
08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Wow. Just. WOW.

It's beyond embarrassing.

Wily Taveras and his sub .300 OBP should be up in that situation, right? I mean, he's (not) done it all year!

This obviously is a ploy to ensure we get the #1 pick in the draft next year.

Dusty Baker, sly as a fox!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

CySeymour
08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Straight from Dustys mouth via John Fay

I'm not sending the kid up there in that situation,"

:rolleyes:

Never mind the fact that "kid" would have probably salivated to be up there in that spot. Come on Dusty...they're major league players. They all want to be up there in that sport.

BigJohn
08-04-2009, 08:57 AM
That move should get him fired if nothing else does!

CySeymour
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
That move should get him fired if nothing else does!

Nothing will. BCast thinks Dusty is a "winner." Baker is the owner's guy, and that is that.

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Seriously, A Gon had one hell of an at bat before that, and we get willie ta-f'in-varis at bat??????? That dude should ask me for my autograph, I at least earn my paychecks. If you dont want to put "that kid" in that position, "that kid" shouldnt be on a major league roster in the first place.

BigJohn
08-04-2009, 10:12 AM
“We’re close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time,” Baker said. “I just feel it.".

texasdave
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I am a little late to the Pile-On party but I was thinking the exact same thing. What goes through Dusty's feeble little mind is anyone's guess. Willy Taveras had zero chance of doing anything positive. Dusty was thinking he didn't want to send the kid up there in that situation and the other 6 1/2 billion residents on Planet Earth were thinking they didn't want to send Taveras up there in that situation. Taveras should have just laid his bat in the batter's box and then gone back to the bench. The outcome would have been just as predictable.

Fire Dusty Now!

texasdave
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Were close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time, Baker said. I just feel it.".

Dusty Baker did not say this. This is a joke, right? Has anyone ever seen Dusty Baker and Bob Castellini in the same place at the same time? I need photograph evidence. If Baker really said this then I all I have to say is,

"Fire Dusty Now!".

FlyerFanatic
08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Dusty Baker did not say this. This is a joke, right? Has anyone ever seen Dusty Baker and Bob Castellini in the same place at the same time? I need photograph evidence. If Baker really said this then I all I have to say is,

"Fire Dusty Now!".

said in the post game interview. i was shocked too, just a complete moron

bounty37h
08-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Were close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time, Baker said. I just feel it.".

If he really said that I wish someone nearby would have reached out and punched him in his freakin face as soon as the words came out his mouth. I dont want to pile on Dusty, cause the problem is waaay bigger then just him, but he isnt helping himself any either. I was screaming at the tv last night after willy t pooped himself that they should lock Baker out of the lockerroom, and tell him they will mail his crap to him in the morning. A few players shoudl join him as well.

texasdave
08-04-2009, 10:56 AM

That must be the same feeling Dusty has in his gut that Willy Taveras is going to start mashing for a long period of time.

sivman17
08-04-2009, 11:43 AM
another john madden-esque quote from our lord and savior dusty baker: "we played good baseball. when you play good baseball, it increases your chances of winning"

Ohioballplayer
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
I was just yelling at the tv last night like Duh-sty could hear me, NO WAY Taveras should have batted in the spot, if not Stubbs, why not Owings? of did Owings pitch, I was put until late and caught the last 2 innings!!

sivman17
08-04-2009, 12:14 PM
i think owings is hurt

FlyerFanatic
08-04-2009, 12:15 PM
i think owings is hurt

prob needs TJ, but they'll rehab him for awhile, delay it a couple of months

GIDP
08-04-2009, 12:18 PM
If Dusty feels it you know it isnt going to happen.

sivman17
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
prob needs TJ, but they'll rehab him for awhile, delay it a couple of months

that's a bold prediction, it's not like that situation has ever occurred around here

oh wait..

GIDP
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Willy Taveras

"We've been struggling, so I hope to use my speed and help this team win," he said

BLEEDS
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Willy Taveras

"We've been struggling, so I hope to use my speed and help this team win," he said

Aye Caramba.

Why do I have the feeling that this guy is going to be getting 400-500 more PA's in the leadoff spot next year.

Is there NOTHING that can be done to get this guy off this team?
.191 with a .212 OBP in his last 243 AB's.

Looks like he's really fast at getting OUT.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Girevik
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
I was just yelling at the tv last night like Duh-sty could hear me, NO WAY Taveras should have batted in the spot, if not Stubbs, why not Owings? of did Owings pitch, I was put until late and caught the last 2 innings!!

Owings is on the DL.

JWP
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
The travesty here is not that Drew Sutton wasn't called in to pinch hit, it's that Willy Taveras is so bad that Reds fans view Sutton as the lesser of the two evils.

Seriously when there is such an outrage that a minor league utility player isn't pinch hitting for your starting CF/leadoff man it signals more than a problem with the manager, but the organization as a whole.

GIDP
08-04-2009, 03:11 PM
The fact that people even have to ask the question is pretty bad. Everyone but dusty seems to be on to how bad Taveras is.

texasdave
08-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Bakermetrics on young ballplayers:Vets are clutch, dude.

Everybody knows that vets can handle that sort of situation. Look how Taveras responded. He hit the ball wicked hard bigtime, dude. He just got unlucky. If I sent the kid up there he would have choked bigtime and grounded out weakly to the first baseman, dude. Kid can't handle pressure like that.