PDA

View Full Version : Dusty: "We're close"

BRM
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
The full quote is actually:

"We're close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time. I just feel it."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/230157-random-thoughts-on-the-reeling-redlegs

savafan
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Do the Reds have a sports psychologist? If not, they need one!

Will M
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
the 2010 Reds are a TOR starter & a SS away from being a good team.
a couple TOR starters are free agents this offseason.
a SS should be available via trade.

Optomistic view of 2010 includes...
Hopefully a full season of an improved Bruce > 2009 Bruce.
Dickerson/Heisey/Stubbs > Taveras
Rolen > Rosales/EE
2010 Bailey > 2009 Bailey

Raisor
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
He might have said this while everyone was in his office watching Big Brother or something. I bet it didn't smell too good, and that it all seemed "close" in there.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
We're close to what?

Homer Bailey
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM

"We're close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time. I just feel it."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/230157-random-thoughts-on-the-reeling-redlegs

Are they putting together a jigsaw puzzle in his office?

Building a ship in a bottle?

nate
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
I thought he was talking about Willy.

Chip R
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
He's talking about him and Willy.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
We're close to completely alienating fans?

nate
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
He's talking about him and Willy.

Your thunder: STOLEN!

Raisor
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
"we're close to the river".

Chip R
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Your thunder: STOLEN!

By seconds. :thumbdown

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
"We're close...to putting together a Willy Taveras/Corey Patterson commemorative bobble-head night"

Raisor
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
"We're close to discovering Cold Fusion."

That would be useful.

BRM
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Here's the rest of the article by the way.

Scott Rolen was held out of the Reds' lineup on Monday after being hit in the head with a pitch the day before. Dusty Baker said Rolen did not have a concussion, only a headache.

Rolen was not available to pinch-hit in the ninth inning last night, when Willy Taveras came to the plate as the winning run. Drew Sutton was also on the bench, but Baker said, "I'm not sending the kid up there in that situation."

That is the most ignorant thing I have heard in a long time.

Did Baker think Taveras was going to send one into the bleachers?

The only way young players can get used to pressure situations is to participate in them. Besides, it's not like the team is battling for first place. This is the time of the year when you can see if Sutton (and others) will be able to contribute in the future.

Taveras was back in the lineup after missing the past five games with a sore wrist.

"We've been struggling, so I hope to use my speed and help this team win," he said.

Someone should tell him you can't steal first.

The quote of the night came from Baker, "We're close, real close, to getting it together for a long period of time. I just feel it."

Does he think the fans are complete idiots? The team has lost 19 of their last 23 games.

The Reds are 45-60. They have won just 19 of their last 59 games. They must win 18 of their remaining 57 games to avoid losing 100.

That's a lot of math.

Roy Tucker
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
He has to say something like that. The guy still has to manage the team.

What's he going to say? "this has to rank up there with the worst teams I've ever managed, I have to chug a fifth of Jack Daniels every day just to muster up enough courage to step foot into the dugout".

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
"We're close to proving to the fans that I really do value vets over youth"

Chip R
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM

What's he going to say? "this has to rank up there with the worst teams I've ever managed, I have to chug a fifth of Jack Daniels every day just to muster up enough courage to step foot into the dugout".

:roll::bowrofl:

RichRed
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
"I'm not sending the kid up there in that situation."

As I mentioned in the game thread:

Aside from the idiocy of thinking that Taveras is a better option than *anyone* for getting a big hit, I should point out that the proven vet Willy is all of a year and a half older than "the kid."

savafan
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Maybe, but the fans watching this team aren't going to buy it, and it makes Dusty look more incompetent about baseball managing, whether that's the case or not.

BRM
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Well, the fans need to chug some Jack before watching the game. Why wouldn't Dusty need to do the same?

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
"We're close to figuring out the identity of the "phantom pooper". Dude's been driving the Stowe family batty"

IowaRed
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
he's right, they are very close....they could drop into last place behind the Pirates tonight

BRM
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Ltlabner's on a roll in this thread. He must be wearing his codpiece today.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Ltlabner's on a roll in this thread. He must be wearing his codpiece today.

Extra tight.

Helps the creative process.

Unassisted
08-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Fairly sure the quote is missing a letter. He meant to say "We're closed."

membengal
08-04-2009, 12:55 PM
We're close to threatening the all-time franchise loss mark?

REDREAD
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
As I mentioned in the game thread:

Aside from the idiocy of thinking that Taveras is a better option than *anyone* for getting a big hit, I should point out that the proven vet Willy is all of a year and a half older than "the kid."

Did not see the game, but Sutton is not exactly tearing it up.
BA 174 OB 208 SLG 261.

In the unlikely event that Sutton delivered, maybe there was an issue of who plays CF, I don't think Sutton can.

Wily is a vet, he's been in the big leagues for a long time. That's one of the knocks on him that was legit.. he's had something like 5 years experience and has not put it together yet.

In contrast, Sutton is a borderline AAA player that doesn't belong on the roster. He's just there due to injuries.

Sure, if Rolen was available to PH, the criticism is valid.. But Sutton is a horrible hitter.

BRM
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
BA 174 OB 208 SLG 261.

In the unlikely event that Sutton delivered, maybe there was an issue of who plays CF, I don't think Sutton can.

Wily is a vet, he's been in the big leagues for a long time. That's one of the knocks on him that was legit.. he's had something like 5 years experience and has not put it together yet.

In contrast, Sutton is a borderline AAA player that doesn't belong on the roster. He's just there due to injuries.

Sure, if Rolen was available to PH, the criticism is valid.. But Sutton is a horrible hitter.

Agree, Sutton isn't a very good hitter. But against the righty Marmol, he's probably a better choice than Willy T. Nix could have played CF if necessary.

Bottom line is that Dusty really didn't have many options. Other than Rolen, he had no one who was actually a good choice to hit in that spot. There just aren't many good hitters on this team.

Reds Fanatic
08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
he's right, they are very close....they could drop into last place behind the Pirates tonightThey are only 11.5 games in front of Washington for the worst record in all baseball. If they really apply themselves over the next 2 months I think they can do it.

jojo
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM

That kinda sounds like Barry White vocals.....

BRM
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
They are only 11.5 games in front of Washington for the worst record in all baseball. If they really apply themselves over the next 2 months I think they can do it.

If the pitching keeps imploding and they keep running sub-replacement level players out all over the diamond, it's definitely possible.

nate
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
That kinda sounds like Barry White vocals.....

You know it's ecstacy
when you stand next to me

Hey, that could be in the "Caption this" thread!

cumberlandreds
08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Let's see the Reds need a LF,a CF,a SS and maybe a RF and C too. They also need at least two starting pitchers. Uh,not so close IMO.

BRM
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
You know it's ecstacy
when you stand next to me

I sing that to my wife all the time. Her response is usually "how many beers have you had?"

BearcatShane
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Let's see the Reds need a LF,a CF,a SS and maybe a RF and C too. They also need at least two starting pitchers. Uh,not so close IMO.

I like Hanigan behind the plate. Bruce is the right fielder. They need a short-stop, left fielder and centerfielder in my opinion.

cumberlandreds
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I like Hanigan behind the plate. Bruce is the right fielder. They need a short-stop, left fielder and centerfielder in my opinion.

I think they may be OK but still largely unproven. By this time next season we will know for sure.

cincrazy
08-04-2009, 02:27 PM
BA 174 OB 208 SLG 261.

My friend, the same can be said of Willy Taveras.

REDREAD
08-04-2009, 02:27 PM

At least they no longer need a 3b :)

C and RF might be ok. Dickerson might be passable in the OF.

But yeah, I agree with your point. Given that Volquez is now gone, they are pretty far away.

I'm at the point where I just want them to be tolerable to watch. That's doable. Contenders next year? Not likely unless Cast opens the wallet.

cumberlandreds
08-04-2009, 02:33 PM
At least they no longer need a 3b :)

C and RF might be ok. Dickerson might be passable in the OF.

But yeah, I agree with your point. Given that Volquez is now gone, they are pretty far away.

I'm at the point where I just want them to be tolerable to watch. That's doable. Contenders next year? Not likely unless Cast opens the wallet.

The Volquez injury was a major blow. IMO he had ace stuff and could have anchored the rotation for a long time. Now I doubt that he will be anything like he was and be no more than a 4 or 5 starter. It's hard to find an ace and the Reds may be searching for a long time yet for another.

Strikes Out Looking
08-04-2009, 02:37 PM
"We're close to me being back on ESPN full time."

nate
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Sutton has had 23 ABs with the Reds. If Dusty's making decisions based on what he's done after that..

Oh hell, fill in your own blanks!

nate
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I sing that to my wife all the time. Her response is usually "how many beers have you had?"

Hopefully, not as many as Barry.

M2
08-04-2009, 02:47 PM
While I get it that the manager shouldn't be chucking his team under the bus, the Reds are unraveling in plain view. All Dusty's doing with a statement like this is convincing people that the only thing he's bringing to the table at this moment is denial.

Kc61
08-04-2009, 02:55 PM
The Reds are indeed close to contention. Volquez is a big hurdle, but they are still pretty close. The two things they need are health and money.

If the Reds were to acquire a LF and a SS of high caliber, use Dickerson/Stubbs in CF, and add one upgrade pitcher to replace Arroyo, I think they would contend next year.

It would require Cueto and Bailey to do well next year. That would be the real risky part of the equation. Otherwise, you don't have a sufficient rotation.

But with a healthy team and a real effort to improve the major league squad by adding a SS, SP, and LF of quality, the Reds could compete for a division title next year.

Rojo
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm holding out hope that this is 1989, that horrid year when the team lost 87 games, some of the prospects regressed and Peter Edward was hounded about his Gamblor.

BuckeyeRedleg
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
In 2005, the Detroit Tigers went 71-91. Two years before that they had lost 119 games.

The next year they won 95 games and went to the World Series.

Hope. That's all we got in Reds land.

alexad
08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
"We are close to the getting the number 1 pick for next year" I think that is what Dusty was trying to say until he had a Sponge Bob Square Pants flash of Patrick Star. I only hope someone wiped the spit haning from his chin after he woke back up from the Hot Flash he was having......

alexad
08-04-2009, 03:14 PM
They are only 11.5 games in front of Washington for the worst record in all baseball. If they really apply themselves over the next 2 months I think they can do it.

That is looking at the glass half empty. Dusty is looking at the fact we are only 11.5 games out of first place so the glass is really half full.

So which is it, the glass half empty or the glass half full?

BoydsOfSummer
08-04-2009, 03:15 PM
One day closer to watching your toothpickin arse leave town. I will celebrate.

MrCinatit
08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
"We're close...to the end of the year. At least, closer than we were a few months ago."

Cyclone792
08-04-2009, 03:49 PM
The Reds are close to not losing tonight. I mean, with the monsoon we've had outside all day, it's quite possible that tonight's game will be rained out.

We have to start somewhere with positive thinking, I guess ...

Brutus
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Dusty's rhetoric is amusing to me too. But does anyone here get exhausted from everyone constantly bringing it to the board's attention, and ripping on him for it?

I mean Dusty says some things. A lot of things. But it just compounds the problems that people jump on it here like sharks on loose meat floating on the surface of the ocean. He's a manager. If he needs to make a point to his team, he'll do it. Whether that's positive or negative.

BRM
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM
It amuses me that people get upset when Reds fans discuss comments made by the Reds manager on a Reds message board. In a season that it's in the toilet, having some fun with silly comments from the manager is a nice release in my opinion.

TRF
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
We're close... to a bowel movement.

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:14 PM
It amuses me that people get upset when Reds fans discuss comments made by the Reds manager on a Reds message board. In a season that it's in the toilet, having some fun with silly comments from the manager is a nice release in my opinion.

I don't mind that. It's just, look at the first page of threads alone, there's six active Dusty Baker threads & polls going. And all of which denigrate into poking fun of him for something. Actually, there's seven if you count "Caption This" which is also about Dusty & Taveras.

I have absolutely no problem with the poking fun and getting a break from seriousness. It's just... getting old as it's done on a daily basis.

TRF
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't mind that. It's just, look at the first page of threads alone, there's six active Dusty Baker threads & polls going. And all of which denigrate into poking fun of him for something. Actually, there's seven if you count "Caption This" which is also about Dusty & Taveras.

I have absolutely no problem with the poking fun and getting a break from seriousness. It's just... getting old as it's done on a daily basis.

Hey, my thread was at least clever. :p:

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:16 PM

6 or 7 threads out of what, 30 or more on the front page? That's not all that many in my opinion. And he's the current manager of a terrible team. Fans are going to talk about him. A lot. It's the nature of being fans.

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM

I know. It was shocking to see such cleverness coming from you. :cool:

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:18 PM

I enjoyed it. I guess my limit was one make-fun-of-Dusty thread in a 24-hour period :thumbup:

Seriously though, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but there's a lot of Dusty threads going right now. I really question whether we needed yet another one today to make fun of him in.

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Seriously though, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, but there's a lot of Dusty threads going right now. I really question whether we needed yet another one today to make fun of him in.

It was his most recent comment from last night's game. Waiting for a 24 hour "grace period" to post it here seemed a little silly. It's no longer current at that point. Besides, if we limit every topic to one thread per day, this board will slow to a crawl.

WMR
08-04-2009, 04:20 PM
6 or 7 threads out of what, 30 or more on the front page? That's not all that many in my opinion. And he's the current manager of a terrible team. Fans are going to talk about him. A lot. It's the nature of being fans.

Thanks for posting this Dusty quote, BRM.

We need as much comic relief as possible these days.

Please start more Dusty threads if--WHEN--he says something similarly asinine in the future.

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks for posting this Dusty quote, BRM.

We need as much comic relief as possible these days.

Please start more Dusty threads if--WHEN--he says something similarly asinine in the future.

Only if they can be separated by a 24 hour grace period.

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:22 PM

But how many is needed to make fun of him or talk about wanting him fired. Does it take 20% of active threads to do that in? I would think that could be contained within a couple. That's all I'm saying.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
Please people, quit talking about the Reds on a forum dedicated to talking about the Reds!

WMR
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I enjoyed it. I guess my limit was one make-fun-of-Dusty thread in a 24-hour period :thumbup:

Here's your badge: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/image.php?u=193764&dateline=1246874114

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
It was his most recent comment from last night's game. Waiting for a 24 hour "grace period" to post it here seemed a little silly. It's no longer current at that point. Besides, if we limit every topic to one thread per day, this board will slow to a crawl.

I'm not saying limit it to one, but for crying out loud, there's seven topics on him right now.

Usually with most subjects, moderators merge threads into a couple when you get more than 2-3 going at a time. I'm not criticizing moderators, but I just wonder why not apply that logic to this.

WMR
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Only if they can be separated by a 24 hour grace period.

:laugh:

Luckily, thread police only have as much power as you give them. :D

membengal
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Brutus, serious question. Are you hoping that if it is "contained" the stink of this debacle and the general discontent with Walt will be less obvious? What's the point of the complaining?

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Here's your badge: http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/image.php?u=193764&dateline=1246874114

There's no need for that. It was a simple comment. No need for the sarcastic reply.

WMR
08-04-2009, 04:28 PM
There's no need for that. It was a simple comment. No need for the sarcastic reply.

Lighten up a little bit. He's not breaking any board rules by starting this thread so why do you care? You wouldn't like someone telling you what or what not to post, I'm guessing.

Just ignore the thread if it bothers you that much. This thread's title should've clued you in pretty conclusively as to the subject being discussed within. If you're sick of Dusty talk, why click on a Dusty thread? To tell everyone else that THEY should be tired of talking about Dusty as well?

REDREAD
08-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Sutton has had 23 ABs with the Reds. If Dusty's making decisions based on what he's done after that..

Oh hell, fill in your own blanks!

The Reds have seen Sutton play in AAA. They probably have a good idea of what he can do. There's no need to give every AAA guy that wanders on to the roster 400 ABs to prove he's a flop.

Sutton is just filler until the roster improves. No real point in trying to develop him, he's just not that good. If he was a legitimate prospect, then yes, give him a shot. But he's just garbage that might not even be in the organization next year beyond emergency depth.. kind of like the annual rite of signing Ricky Stone that the Reds used to do.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 04:31 PM
"We're close...to making WMR take up interpretative dance as a new hobby"

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Brutus, serious question. Are you hoping that if it is "contained" the stink of this debacle and the general discontent with Walt will be less obvious? What's the point of the complaining?

For me, the point is, while I think everyone here realizes this team is bad right now, not everyone enjoys going to a forum overrun by talking about the incompetence of a manager. I'm NOT saying people should not be able to talk about it. So to those doing the strawman arguments, let's eliminate that perception right now.

What I am saying is that this is supposed to be a place for enjoyable discussion about the Reds. Not saying it's positive discussion, but enjoyable. For some, it might not be so enjoyable having to navigate through several threads all discussing the same topic about one person. There's already no shortage of threads complaining and making fun of Dusty Baker. Why do we need to have several going at the same time? I would think there's always 2-3 going, so that would be plenty of ample space to speak our minds about. I'm not putting any kind of limit or cap on a discussion, but my common sense tells me 7 of 30 on one subject is a bit overkill.

That's just my opinion. Anyone is free to disagree with it. There's no need for sarcasm or criticizing, though. I was asking an honest question. I don't feel the 'thread police' comments are necessary.

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:33 PM
The Reds have seen Sutton play in AAA. They probably have a good idea of what he can do. There's no need to give every AAA guy that wanders on to the roster 400 ABs to prove he's a flop.

Sutton is just filler until the roster improves. No real point in trying to develop him, he's just not that good. If he was a legitimate prospect, then yes, give him a shot. But he's just garbage that might not even be in the organization next year beyond emergency depth.. kind of like the annual rite of signing Ricky Stone that the Reds used to do.

It's not really about developing Drew Sutton. It's about who has the best chance to get a hit or reach base in that situation. Given who Dusty had available, the answer was probably "no one". However, I think Sutton had a marginally better chance to produce in that spot than did Willy T. But honestly, it probably just didn't matter. Neither one of them had much chance anyway.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 04:34 PM
What I am saying is that this is supposed to be a place for enjoyable discussion about the Reds. Not saying it's positive discussion, but enjoyable.

As Nate pointed out to someone else earlier today, you are free to start all the threads you care to start to balance out the topics that don't interest you.

WMR
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
"We're close...to making WMR take up interpretative dance as a new hobby"

:laugh:

Cincinnati Reds: The Performance Musical

with Eddie Griffin playing Willy Taveras and Danny Glover as Dusty Baker in what the NY Times is calling "one of the great love stories of all time."

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
What is considered enjoyable to some might not be enjoyable to others. There is absolutely no way to make everyone happy on an internet message board. The best you can do is just avoid the threads you don't find particulary fun to read or post in. Focus on the ones you do like. This thread is a good example. A good number of posters obviously enjoyed it because there were lots of posts. Some obviously didn't like it though. I bet every single thread on here is met with the same result. Some will like it, some won't.

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:38 PM
As Nate pointed out to someone else earlier today, you are free to start all the threads you care to start to balance out the topics that don't interest you.

And I'm also free to say if I think something is too much. Am I not? Cluttering the board with something else, just to "balance it out" seems counterproductive to the point I'm trying to make. I don't want to clutter the board more, just to balance out topics. That goes against my opinion of why I'm saying something to begin with.

Ltlabner
08-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Cluttering the board with something else, just to "balance it out" seems counterproductive to the point I'm trying to make.

Huh?

Having interesting threads to discuss is the essence of an internet sports forum. Without them...well...it'd be kinda dull looking at the RZ calender and our user control panels.

It's really simple...if you don't like the threads you are seeing, start the ones that interest you.

membengal
08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Weird Catch-22, Brutus. Presumably, the threads you have in mind would be more positive, but they would be "clutter"?

It seems to me the board reflects the state of the team. Which is bad.

If Redszone existed circa 1982 and 1983, I would guess it would look a lot like this in terms of consumer satisfaction...

Reds4Life
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
By "close", I hope he means they are finished circling the bowl and about ready to be flushed down.

If he's talking about anything else, somebody needs to check Dusty's cup to see if it's filled with Vodka instead of water.

BRM
08-04-2009, 04:44 PM
FWIW, I don't see this as a "negative" thread. It's more humor in my opinion. At least that was the intent.

Chip R
08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
You guys need to stop taking up cyberspace arguing about this. If you have a concern, report it to the mods. We'll make the call on what and what isn't valid threads.

Brutus
08-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Huh?

Having interesting threads to discuss is the essence of an internet sports forum. Without them...well...it'd be kinda dull looking at the RZ calender and our user control panels.

It's really simple...if you don't like the threads you are seeing, start the ones that interest you.

I get that. I'm referring to starting additional threads with the intent of trying to drown out others is probably not a prudent mindset. That was what was suggested. If I'm going to start threads, it is not going to be with the intention of "balancing out" the others.

I'm not a person that advocates one thread on a singular topic at any one time. I think that's a bit extreme. I just would think there comes a point when there is no shortage of threads to discuss something, that starting another is unnecessary. With that, I've said my peace. Commence...

nate
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
And I'm also free to say if I think something is too much. Am I not? Cluttering the board with something else, just to "balance it out" seems counterproductive to the point I'm trying to make. I don't want to clutter the board more, just to balance out topics. That goes against my opinion of why I'm saying something to begin with.

You can but complaining about the complaining never stops the complaining.

New and interesting topics might.

Look, the Reds season is going over like a fart in a spacesuit right about now. We need a release valve and these piling on threads serve as a mechanism to that end.

So to speak.

I invite you to SANTA.

GAC
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
In 2005, the Detroit Tigers went 71-91. Two years before that they had lost 119 games.

The next year they won 95 games and went to the World Series.

Hope. That's all we got in Reds land.

The owner also spent some jack too, while getting a MANAGER. ;)

In 2004, the Tiger's payroll was 49M. It's currently sitting at 115M.

corkedbat
08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Close to the edge? Close to sixth place? Close to the number pick? Close to a new manager? Close to being locked in a rubber room?

KronoRed
08-04-2009, 05:05 PM
The better part of the article is Wily the auto out saying he's going to use his speed WHILE he cannot really swing a bat.

Awesome!

Patrick Bateman
08-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Guys, it's not that hard. Report the posts you don't like to the mods. If they don't like it either, the bad posts go away. Simple as that, no need to get into a philosophical debate that really, nobody actually cares about.

TRF
08-04-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm not saying limit it to one, but for crying out loud, there's seven topics on him right now.

yes, but only 6 of them are really funny.

Homer Bailey
08-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Reds fans will argue about anything.

RedEye
08-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Perhaps Dusty has something in mind like what I wrote in the "silver lining" thread when he says "we're close."

Sorry for the self-quote party foul, but I'm interested in what all you folks think of my take on the team. I tend to be pretty negative, but I think I may have written myself back into a (marginally) positive mindset with the following:

It's true, there have been a lot of downers this year. I still think, though, that the Reds have some bright spots worth noting:

1) A gaggle of good, young players. Despite his struggles earlier in the year, Votto continues to look like a reliable MOTO bat. Phillips continues to give the team great D and good offensive production at 2B. Bruce also plays great D has shown decent patience and make-up despite his combination of bad luck/ freak injury /offensive futility. IMO, these three should continue to be solid regulars for several years. And, with Frazier, Stubbs, Alonso and Heisey on the horizon, I think the team can count on getting a few more of those in the near future. We might even add Hanigan to the list soon, too (even though he's not really so "young" in chronological years).

2) A rapidly improving defense. IIRC, this was the feel-good story of the season until everything had to go all Chinua Achebe on us (anyone ever read Things Fall Apart? For some reason that title keep springing to mind when I think about this season). The recent addition of Rolen, the arrival of Stubbs and/or Heisey, and the acquisition (hopefully) of a competent SS in the off-season should further strengthen this part of the Reds in short order. I can honestly say that I think WJ "gets it" more than any other recent GM when it comes to the importance of catching the ball as well as hitting and pitching it.

3) The likliehood of continued competent pitching. I know the Volquez injury has us all down. I'm not saying we shouldn't be. Heck, I really had dreams that this could be an elite pitching staff this year. But let's not forget that this rotation still runs way deeper than any of the staffs in recent memory. Heck, despite their recent struggles, the healthy trio of Cueto, Arroyo and Harang by themselves upstages most other Reds rotations since the 1980s (possible exceptions include the second half of 1999 and perhaps the scant years where Rijo-Browning-Jackson were all healthy and pitching well). What's more, the 'pen looks solid enough, too--even after the departures of Roenicke and Stewart, the team has a stopper (Cordero), a stopper-in-waiting (Masset), and a bunch of useful parts (Weathers, Rhodes, Herrera, Burton). That's a vast improvement over years past as well. And given the Cards bullpens during his tenure, I think WJ knows how to build continuity in this area.

Okay, that's my best shot at optimism. 2009 may be very well be in the tank--but all, my friends, is far from lost.

Chip R
08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
Reds fans will argue about anything.

No they won't. ;)

RedLegSuperStar
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
I have no sympathy for this team. They have absolutely no offense. Players are consistently going on the DL. Ownership says one thing and does another. Dusty is struggling to operate this squad and has proven squat to me.

redsmetz
08-04-2009, 06:41 PM
Actually they've won three games since the All Star, three times more than your thread suggests.

Seriously? This needs an entirely new thread. Couldn't you have found one of the dozen or so threads that echos this complaint to have just added another post?

RedEye
08-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Wow. I'm not sure I've ever seen RZ descend to this level of meta-thread bickering before. We must be really disheartened.

jojo
08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Wow. I'm not sure I've ever seen RZ descend to this level of meta-thread bickering before. We must be really disheartened.

Well it's either that or talk about the Reds cheerleaders.

jojo
08-04-2009, 08:48 PM
I think Redszone should organize a protest. Boss and GIK should pick one day where Reds talk is completely banned from Redszone.

That's kind of extreme so maybe as an alternative to the death penalty, the day should be completely devoted to Reds baseball prior to 1977.

I'm sure others could refine the idea so that the day could ultimately be an extremely cool experience and true to the ORG mission while also making a statement.

nate
08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
I think Redszone should organize a protest. Boss and GIK should pick one day where Reds talk is completely banned from Redszone.

That's kind of extreme so maybe as an alternative to the death penalty, the day should be completely devoted to Reds baseball prior to 1977.

I'm sure others could refine the idea so that the day could ultimately be an extremely cool experience and true to the ORG mission while also making a statement.

Heh, good idea!

flyer85
08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
close to last.

Keep playing Willy ... you'll get there

Falls City Beer
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
They'll be close when they switch the Reds' roster with 25 select Redszoners.

Raisor
08-04-2009, 09:13 PM

I've got sneaky fast speed.

WVRedsFan
08-04-2009, 09:17 PM

Horse Hockey.

guttle11
08-04-2009, 09:31 PM

So which of the Redszone 10 will bring the scrappy off the bench?

Cyclone792
08-04-2009, 09:35 PM
With the lineups teh Dusty's been running out, this team's liable to be no hit sometime during these last two months.

M2
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM

It's nothing compared to the winter of 2004-5.

RedEye
08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
It's nothing compared to the winter of 2004-5.

Before my time on the forum. What was it that happened then again?

KronoRed
08-04-2009, 09:54 PM
With the lineups teh Dusty's been running out, this team's liable to be no hit sometime during these last two months.

With the lack OBP skills they may even be the victim of a perfect game.

Certainly a good reason to head out to the park ;)

M2
08-04-2009, 09:58 PM
Before my time on the forum. What was it that happened then again?

Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz and Paul Wilson were riding in to save the day.

RedEye
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz and Paul Wilson were riding in to save the day.

Ah yes. How could I forget? Reds fans tend to suffer from selective amnesia, I guess.

Brutus
08-04-2009, 10:05 PM

I'd take the Reds' lineup right now over the Pirates, Mets or Padres. Those are some bad, bad lineups.

OnBaseMachine
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
Close to what? Closer to breaking the record for the longest losing streak in baseball history?

Stormy
08-04-2009, 10:13 PM
I'd take the Reds' lineup right now over the Pirates, Mets or Padres. Those are some bad, bad lineups.

True, but the Pads lineup just demolished us a week+ ago. :)

RedFanAlways1966
08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Close to what? Closer to breaking the record for the longest losing streak in baseball history?

Don't know about that, OBM, but July 2009 was the lowest winning percentage by the team since May 2001 (yes, 8 years and 2 months). 2nd worst month this century.

July 2009 = 8-19 (.296)
May 2001 = 6-22 (.214)

And there are still two more months this season. August 2009 & September 2009 might give May 2001 a run for lowest winning% in the 21st century.

cincrazy
08-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Close to what? Being contracted?

_Sir_Charles_
08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
the 2010 Reds are a TOR starter & a SS away from being a good team.
a couple TOR starters are free agents this offseason.
a SS should be available via trade.

Optomistic view of 2010 includes...
Hopefully a full season of an improved Bruce > 2009 Bruce.
Dickerson/Heisey/Stubbs > Taveras
Rolen > Rosales/EE
2010 Bailey > 2009 Bailey

I agree with this. But health is a HUGE issue it seems for this club. Losing Edinson really hurts for next year. BIG TIME.