PDA

View Full Version : What type of pitcher should we expect Edinson Volquez to be 18 months from now?

WMR
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have any sort of statistical data that takes into consideration ALL pitchers that have had TJ surgery and what their careers looked like pre and post TJ? That data within the last 10-15 yrs (to account for the 'perfectioning' of the method)?

I know we hear quite often that pitchers come back throwing harder after TJ... How realistic are those hopes?

How, if at all, can you factor in his other injury when trying to figure/guesstimate this stuff out?

I just really wonder if he can still become an ace.

OnBaseMachine
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
In the last 2-3 seasons, Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson have both had Tommy John surgery. Now both are back healthy and pitching like nothing ever happened as Carpenter leads the NL in ERA and Johnson is in the top ten. I don't see why Volquez can't return to his normal self like those two and others have done.

George Anderson
08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Jim Morris from the movie "The Rookie" had TJ Surgery in his first stint in pro ball and if I recall credited the surgery for increasing his velocity for his second stint.

So you never know.

princeton
08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't see why

according to Will Carroll, there was additional damage.

TRF
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM
In the last 2-3 seasons, Chris Carpenter and Josh Johnson have both had Tommy John surgery. Now both are back healthy and pitching like nothing ever happened as Carpenter leads the NL in ERA and Johnson is in the top ten. I don't see why Volquez can't return to his normal self like those two and others have done.

Well... there is one problem with that thought.

Just what type of pitcher is Edinson Volquez? 1st of all, he got the switching leagues bump. (IMO this works in either direction for pitchers). The league adjusted to him in the second half of 2008. Did he adjust prior to his injury this year? Possibly.

But honestly, I don't think we really know what EV is just yet, and the TJ surgery just clouds things even more.

jojo
08-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Older.

WVRedsFan
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Two things can happen:

1. He can be as good as he was or better, OR
2. He can be Brandon Claussen and be a batting practice pitcher.

Surgery is a gamble even for a great surgeon like Dr. Hollywood. I talked with an orthepedic surgeon yesterday and from what he read he says Edinson will have a long road back because the unspecified extra damage makes this touchy. His opinion was it might be 2011 before he pitches in the majors again. We'll see.

nate
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Two things can happen:

1. He can be as good as he was or better, OR
2. He can be Brandon Claussen and be a batting practice pitcher.

Surgery is a gamble even for a great surgeon like Dr. Hollywood. I talked with an orthepedic surgeon yesterday and from what he read he says Edinson will have a long road back because the unspecified extra damage makes this touchy. His opinion was it might be 2011 before he pitches in the majors again. We'll see.

3. Or anything in between.

MrCinatit
08-05-2009, 04:40 PM

As I recall, many said that the last one was the end for Carpenter.

I just hope that, should Edinson rebound, he will do it with the Reds for a few years. And if he doesn't come back, I hope the team is not afraid to let him go (as much as I hate to say).

TRF
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Carpenter is the worst kind of outlier, a player that has come back from multiple injuries, was horrible before switching leagues and has to be considered a player pitching on borrowed time.

JMO.