PDA

View Full Version : Yadel Marti anyone?

LoganBuck
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
From MLBTR:

ESPN.com's Jorge Arangure Jr. hears that Yasser Gomez, Yadel Marti and Juan Yasser Serrano, who are now free agents, will showcase their talents for major league teams this Friday

Marti was the Cuban ace of the 2006 WBC. He has been in the doghouse in Cuba for trying to defect. He finally succeeded and I definitely think he would help the Reds. I remember being impressed with him. I think he worked 89-92 and had a strong hook.

Thoughts?

redsfan4445
08-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Well i saw on traderumors they all mentioned the Red Sox, Yankees and White Sox.. go figure huh?

like to see the Reds move Arroyo/Harang then make a attempt at him though

LoganBuck
08-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Well i saw on traderumors they all mentioned the Red Sox, Yankees and White Sox.. go figure huh?

like to see the Reds move Arroyo/Harang then make a attempt at him though

This guy isn't Aroldis Chapman. He isn't going to get the big dollars. None of those teams can offer him the chance the Reds can. He hasn't pitched competitively since 2007, because he was caught trying to defect. I doubt those teams are going to throw him into a pennant chase.

LoganBuck
08-05-2009, 04:16 PM
http://www.blindsociety.com/blindspot/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/think_outside_the_box_by_neho.jpg

bucksfan2
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know. I would be wary of handing out a big $ deal to a Cuban defector. You have to take into consideration arm abuse as well as true age questions.

LoganBuck
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know. I would be wary of handing out a big $ deal to a Cuban defector. You have to take into consideration arm abuse as well as true age questions.

Define big dollars.

Aroldis Chapman may see $50 Million
Yadel Marti may see $600,000

Topcat
08-06-2009, 02:55 AM
If the price is right I go in for 500k (incentive laden to reach the 500k) reality wise I think he is worth the gamble. This team pays Willy T 3 mill a year :eek:, thus a few smallish gambles are worth taking.