PDA

View Full Version : Phillips on moving to SS

GIDP
08-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Phillips open to move to SS. "Whatever makes the team better."

From John Fays Twitter.

Id like to hear audio or video of him saying just so I could see some body language.

Boy that Brandon Phillips is such a selfish guy. I'm tired of him always being so selfish and a club house cancer.

mroby85
08-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Who said he's a clubhouse cancer? He doesn't make the best decisions at times in terms of hustling etc, but I definitely wouldn't call him a clubhouse cancer. He's a valuable player, and one of the few productive players on this team.

GIDP
08-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Plenty of people feel that way around these boards. Of course they never back it up with anything.

CySeymour
08-05-2009, 04:44 PM
So then who would play second? Kind of a ying/yang thing. You can say Fraiser long term, but he isn't MLB ready yet.

GIDP
08-05-2009, 04:48 PM
If Phillips could play good enough D you have to move him there. There is tons of options for 2nd base in our system. Valaika, Frazier, Rosales, and Sutton come to mind pretty much instantly.

CySeymour
08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
If you're gonna say Valaika or Sutton, then why not leave Phillips at second and let those players player SS, since they have played it more recently?

GIDP
08-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Well Sutton isnt a SS really at all. Vailaika could be but people question his D also. I think the thought is Phillips is good enough to be still very good with the D at short while a guy like Valaika could still be very good at 2nd with the D. If they feel they can upgrade 2 positions this way why not try it.

Joeyjection19
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
If we can get the infield in order, why would we pass that up? That only leaves CF and LF, plus pitching.

GIDP
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
"I'll do whatever the Reds want me to do," he said. "I'll play outfield, shortstop."

the full quote. If the Reds didnt have Stubbs in AAA I would play Phillips in CF. Im just CRAZY though :D.

CySeymour
08-05-2009, 05:15 PM
"I'll do whatever the Reds want me to do," he said. "I'll play outfield, shortstop."

the full quote. If the Reds didnt have Stubbs in AAA I would play Phillips in CF. Im just CRAZY though :D.

ha ha...well, let's not go overboard.

I'm not totally against moving Phillips to short, but before that is a consideration, let's comeup with a solid answer for second. Until then, I think he should stay put.

DannyB
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
It sure wouldn't hurt to try him there now.Plus he would bat 2nd.

bgwilly31
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM

I'm not totally against moving Phillips to short, but before that is a consideration, let's comeup with a solid answer for second. Until then, I think he should stay put.

Yeah i would agree with this assesment.

Lockdwn11
08-05-2009, 05:31 PM

I agree with you some what, but if Phillips can still play SS and is the answer there I say move him and worry about 2nd later I mean it is easier to find a 2nd baseman then it is a SS. A good/great SS is more valuable and important to a teams defense then a good/great 2nd baseman IMO.

BluegrassRedleg
08-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I like watching Brandon Phillips play. I think he's fun, especially with the glove at times. I'd like to see him have a long stay with the Reds. That being said, I've always sensed a bit of selfishness on his part, especially when he's at the dish. For example, I would LOVE to see stats for him when he follows a guy who hits a home run. You can almost always take it to the bank that he'll K or make an easy out swinging for the fences. It never fails. His situational hitting is subpar like many of his teammates. He'd be a much more respected player if he cut down his swing at times and used the whole field.

nemesis
08-05-2009, 06:06 PM
The organization has a host of players who could fill in at 2B next year until they get Frazier ready. Richar, Valakia, Rosales, Sutton and even Janish.

Phillips contract and #'s would be a steal at SS. Just behind Ramerez, Handley and Rollins, Jimmy.

I would almost bet any of those fill-ins until Frazier was ready say by May-June could platoon OPS above Gonzales current #'s and do it for about 6 million cheaper.

I just think Fraziers bat will play real real well in GABP.

bgwilly31
08-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Ya know one thing about phillips and SS.

Im not so convinced about his arm strength considering a ball in the gap.

He seems to struggle at times getting enough umphh on the ball at a play up the middle.

Just thinking out loud.

BigJohn
08-05-2009, 09:53 PM
This sounds very familiar to me!

Orodle
08-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Why tinker with one of the only positives on this club..... a gold glove quality 2B

BLEEDS
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
It would be a good move, especially given how easy it would be to get a 2B in FA this off-season.

FA SS sucks this year.

I'm still not loving BP against RHP, as he's regressed to his normal mean again, but at least his OPS is above .700 against them this year.

Maybe moving down the order to 6th would help him a bit...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Captain Hook
08-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Phillips offense is good for 2B but at SS he would be one of the best in the league. If he could play average D it would be a huge upgrade. IMO 2B would be an easy fix by usuing one of our younger guys or signing a FA this off season.

BLEEDS
08-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Phillips offense is good for 2B but at SS he would be one of the best in the league. If he could play average D it would be a huge upgrade. IMO 2B would be an easy fix by usuing one of our younger guys or signing a FA this off season.

DING

DING

You'd think this "Selfish" BP would figure that out! ;)

He might actually be able to validate a $10M+ salary if he played GG shortstop with that bat.

IMO, you put guys who can't play SS but have a good bat at 2B. I think we have it a bit backwards.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

redlegs2370
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I think it would be great solution to the SS dilemma for next season. Also if there is ever a time to experiment with BP playing short it would be now. You would have almost a full two months of trial to see how things worked out. I think it is also a plus that Frazier is going to play 2B in Carolina this season and not experiment with it in Spring Training. If BP & Frazier combo would work out it would allow the Reds to spend more money on RH bat in the outfield or apply it to another starter.

bgwilly31
08-06-2009, 02:08 PM
The reds should be trying all sorts of moves here and there right now. But they wont.

Why. because of $$$

BEETTLEBUG
08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
True they don't want to hurt feelings.

vottofan4life
08-08-2009, 02:30 PM
I say we acquire Ryan Doumit and Zach Duke this offseason for yonder alonso, devin messoraco,matt maloney and a ptbl. Have the best catching duo in the national league maybe even the majors. Then Zach duke,cueto,bailey,wood,and fa/someone from trade or micah owings can be our rotation next year. Move BP to ss and bring todd frazier up to play second. Drop Gomes and have Balentien and Bruce go back n forth in rf.Trade Dickerson and Harang to NY for Shelley Duncan,Phil Coke,and a ptbl. Trade Arroyo and Taveras to L.A. for Juan Pierre. Go all out and do w/e u can to sign jason bay.ITs good to dream

GIDP
08-08-2009, 02:32 PM
sounds more like a nightmare.

WildcatFan
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I say we acquire Ryan Doumit and Zach Duke this offseason for yonder alonso, devin messoraco,matt maloney and a ptbl. Have the best catching duo in the national league maybe even the majors. Then Zach duke,cueto,bailey,wood,and fa/someone from trade or micah owings can be our rotation next year. Move BP to ss and bring todd frazier up to play second. Drop Gomes and have Balentien and Bruce go back n forth in rf.Trade Dickerson and Harang to NY for Shelley Duncan,Phil Coke,and a ptbl. Trade Arroyo and Taveras to L.A. for Juan Pierre. Go all out and do w/e u can to sign jason bay.ITs good to dream

OK, so we sign a second catcher to complement our young .300 catcher, trade away top hitting and top pitching prospects, bring up an everyday 2B who has never seen the bigs, drop our RH power bat, platoon last year's top prospect with a DFA'd Mariner, get the Yankees to take on Harang's contract, con LA into taking on $6 million more in payroll and seriously downgrade their outfield production, and sign the highest-priced free agent this offseason.

Whew.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Is Pokey Reese still available?