PDA

View Full Version : If you could sign one player this offseason...

Benihana
08-06-2009, 09:52 AM
factoring in projected salary, who would it be?

The Reds clearly do not have enough money to sign two premier FAs, and there's a good chance they don't have enough money or fortitude to sign one of the guys listed above. But suspending disbelief, if you were in charge, who/where would you throw $$ to plug the hole- SP, LF, or 2B/SS?

Degenerate39
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Jason Bay

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Hudson may be the only one the Reds could conceivably afford.

Edd Roush
08-06-2009, 09:58 AM
I was between John Lackey and Jason Bay. I chose Bay based upon his career OPS+ of 130 and defense. While Lackey is solid for sure, I want a bat real bad for next year and Votto-Bay could make for a great Maple Leaf Tag Team.

NJReds
08-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Bay. I think he'd put up huge numbers in GABP. I like him better than Holliday.

There are risks involved with each of the pitchers that a team with the Reds payroll can't afford to take. We have a Hudson clone in Phillips.

Benihana
08-06-2009, 10:04 AM
We have a Hudson clone in Phillips.

I'd love a Phillips clone on the other side of second base, especially if Frazier doesn't see significant time in AAA this year.

But I think they need to sign one of the pitchers first and foremost. Webb and Harden will probably come cheaper than Lackey due to the injury risk.

I think they should take a cheaper flyer on one of the veteran OFs coming off of a disappointing year (ie Vlad Guerrero, Magglio Ordonez.) If they return to form great, if they don't at least they're cheap and short-term.

Highlifeman21
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Let's kick the tires on a DP combo of Phillips and Hudson

PuffyPig
08-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I was between John Lackey and Jason Bay. I chose Bay based upon his career OPS+ of 130 and defense. While Lackey is solid for sure, I want a bat real bad for next year and Votto-Bay could make for a great Maple Leaf Tag Team.

Bay is a horrible defensive LF.

Edd Roush
08-06-2009, 10:10 AM
Bay is a horrible defensive LF.

Interesting, I obviously didn't know this. How is his defense compared to Dye?

Could we tolerate Bay's defense if Stubbs played center?

Homer Bailey
08-06-2009, 10:18 AM
I say throw 5/$75 at Holliday and put him between Bruce and Votto and watch this offense flourish. Can you imagine this lineup?

Stubbs
Hanigan
Votto
Holliday
Bruce
Rolen
Phillips SS
Frazier 2B

Tell me where the weakness is? Offensively and defensively?

Or if we really want to dream

Stubbs
Hudson 2B
Votto
Holliday
Bruce
Rolen
Phillips SS
Hanigan

puca
08-06-2009, 10:21 AM
No way the Reds can compete with the rotation of Harang, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo and Owings. There are no in-house fixes for this rotation and if they dump Arroyo and/or Harang for salary relief the outlook is even more bleak.

Unfortunately the signing a free agent starter rarely works out well.

There are no good answers. One signing will not push this team to contention.

puca
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
I say throw 5/$75 at Holliday and put him between Bruce and Votto and watch this offense flourish. Can you imagine this lineup?

Stubbs
Hanigan
Votto
Holliday
Bruce
Rolen
Phillips SS
Frazier 2B

Tell me where the weakness is? Offensively and defensively?

Or if we really want to dream

Stubbs
Hudson 2B
Votto
Holliday
Bruce
Rolen
Phillips SS
Hanigan

The rotation.

RedsBaron
08-06-2009, 10:27 AM
I finally voted for Jason Bay, as I really want the Reds to have a solid right handed bat to go with Joey Votto and Jay Bruce, and the Reds need another outfielder. What I would really like is for the Reds to add Bay and Orlando Hudson, with Brandon Phillips shifting over to shortstop.
I don't expect the Reds to add anybody significant, alas.
Jermaine Dye will be age 36 in January, so I stayed away from him, and I know the Reds will not pay the money Matt Holliday will seek.
As for Bay's alleged bad defense, I really have no information in that regard, but he would have to be Alex Johnson-Greg Luzinski bad before I would reject him, given how bad the Reds offense is.

nate
08-06-2009, 10:29 AM
The rotation.

I think that offense with this rotation would win a lot more games than this offense with one spot improved in the rotation.

Benihana
08-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I think that offense with this rotation would win a lot more games than this offense with one spot improved in the rotation.

I'm not sure about that.

The other thing to remember is that for the Reds to sign one of these premier FAs, you'd have to assume they must shed either Harang or Arroyo (or both) first. The way that rotation is looking these days, this team is Washington Nationals bad.

bucksfan2
08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
This is quite simple to me. Bob pony's up, opens up his wallet and turns the Reds into instant contenders. He signs Holliday to play LF for the Reds. With an outfield of Holliday, Stubbs, and Bruce they have the best defensive OF in the game. Holliday's bat allows you to run Janish out there at SS everyday and take what ever offense he gives you. It also gives you one of the better defensive infields in baseball. If the Reds want to experiment a little more they could move Phillips to SS and Frazier to 2b. My ideal lineup would be.

CF Stubbs
2b Frazier
1b Votto
LF Holliday
3b Rolen
SS Phillips
RF Bruce
C Hanigan

REDREAD
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Bay. I think he'd put up huge numbers in GABP. I like him better than Holliday.

There are risks involved with each of the pitchers that a team with the Reds payroll can't afford to take. .

That's similiar to my logic. We need another starting pitcher, but it sure would be nice to lock up Bay as the cleanup hitter for a few years.

As I said before, I think this team should fix the offense/defense, and then add pitching. Pitching is just so risky and has a short shelf life. Obviously, the team needs to keep trying to find the next Cueto, but I'd rather not spend large amounts on FA pitchers until the rest of the team is worthy of having them.

princeton
08-06-2009, 10:47 AM
This is quite simple to me. Bob pony's up, opens up his wallet and turns the Reds into instant contenders.

I think that if Bob was going to pony up, we would have kept our young pitcher while paying more of Rolen's salary.

we might sign a player, but I'm expecting the big move to be one or more additional Rolen-type trades where we surrender prospects in return for a veteran plus money to pay him.

Benihana
08-06-2009, 10:51 AM
That's similiar to my logic. We need another starting pitcher, but it sure would be nice to lock up Bay as the cleanup hitter for a few years.

As I said before, I think this team should fix the offense/defense, and then add pitching. Pitching is just so risky and has a short shelf life. Obviously, the team needs to keep trying to find the next Cueto, but I'd rather not spend large amounts on FA pitchers until the rest of the team is worthy of having them.

Haven't we already seen what a big offense and patchwork rotation gets us? Obviously, I'd love to have Holliday- and I think that bucksfans' lineup would give us the best defensive team in all of baseball. BUT, keeping the pitching staff status quo might not net us any more than 75-80 wins, even with that lineup. It would be like 2003-2007 all over again.

For the record, my vote goes for Brandon Webb. If he can get healthy/return to form, he's a Top 3 pitcher in baseball. Even if it takes him the first few months of 2010 to right himself, starting August 2010 the Reds could have:

Webb
Cueto
Harang/Arroyo
Volquez
Bailey

That rotation can win some games no matter who is in the lineup. Take a cheap flyer on a Vlad or a Magglio in LF and you might really have something.

Benihana
08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I think that if Bob was going to pony up, we would have kept our young pitcher while paying more of Rolen's salary.

we might sign a player, but I'm expecting the big move to be one or more additional Rolen-type trades where we surrender prospects in return for a veteran plus money to pay him.

Agreed. And I'm actually OK with that strategy, so long as the vets are better (and preferably a little younger) than Rolen.

With Stewart gone, there is not a single player in the current farm system that I'd be broken up about moving, provided the target is right. The latter part of that sentence is what concerns me. Was Rolen the right target? Only time will tell.

princeton
08-06-2009, 11:01 AM
the pitchers that were drafted in June 2009 have started strong. I think that Walt thinks that Chris Buckley can re-stock quickly and that other teams that can't find these kinds of arms will pay well for them. so there'll be more prospect trades. it's nice to have players wanted by other teams; kind of different.

bucksfan2
08-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Haven't we already seen what a big offense and patchwork rotation gets us? Obviously, I'd love to have Holliday- and I think that bucksfans' lineup would give us the best defensive team in all of baseball. BUT, keeping the pitching staff status quo might not net us any more than 75-80 wins, even with that lineup. It would be like 2003-2007 all over again.

For the record, my vote goes for Brandon Webb. If he can get healthy/return to form, he's a Top 3 pitcher in baseball.

Here is my thing, lets say you roll the dice, sign Holliday and run out the lineup I mentioned. I am fairly confident that a rotation of Cueto, Bailey, Harang, Arroyo, Owings, Wood, etc could get you league average pitching. Throw in a great defense and now you pitching is slightly above league average. Now measure the offense impact. Stubbs, while a rookie, would give you a guy in the leadoff spot who knows where 1b is. Votto, Rolen, and Holliday would give you a formidable middle of the lineup, and Bruce would be able to grow as a player lower in the lineup. IMO the offense would be much better that average. The pen likely would stay the same and be an average to above average pen. The team would look like this.

Offense = above average
Defense = well above average
Pitching = average to above average because of the D
Bull pen = average to above average

Will M
08-06-2009, 11:14 AM

For the record, my vote goes for Brandon Webb. If he can get healthy/return to form, he's a Top 3 pitcher in baseball. Even if it takes him the first few months of 2010 to right himself, starting August 2010 the Reds could have:

Webb
Cueto
Harang/Arroyo
Volquez
Bailey

That rotation can win some games no matter who is in the lineup. Take a cheap flyer on a Vlad or a Magglio in LF and you might really have something.

i voted for Lackey because i feel we need another TOR starter to compete. LF & SS can be obtained 'on the cheap' IMO.

My question for you: what exactly was the surgery Webb had? when i hear shoulder surgery i get nervous that the pitcher will ever be the same

Benihana
08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
I am fairly confident that a rotation of Cueto, Bailey, Harang, Arroyo, Owings, Wood, etc could get you league average pitching.

At risk of agreeing with FCB, but have you been paying attention for the last month?

This rotation would need a MAJOR bounce back to provide league average pitching. I'm not sure that that is the kind of thing you want to count on.

Furthermore, as I mentioned in a previous post- you kinda have to assume that the Reds would need to shed either Harang, Arroyo, or both in order to clear payroll to make a signing splash. I seriously doubt a rotation of

Cueto
Harang/Arroyo
Bailey
Owings
Wood/Maloney

could give you league average pitching, let alone above average pitching, no matter how good the defense is. Put it this way: it's not the kind of thing I'd want to wager $75MM on.

REDREAD
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Haven't we already seen what a big offense and patchwork rotation gets us? .

I agree with that. The problem is that we need pitching and offense/defense.

We need everything basically :lol:

I'd rather start with the position players, then address the rotation. This is what the Reds successfully did in 1999.

Look at the Reds entering this season. The rotation seemed great on paper. We had Ownings for our 5th starter. Homer even exceeded expectations, but the SP still tanked.

We have such limited money, that I would not spend it on Webb. Even if Webb is healthy in 2011 (not a given), we'll have no offense/defense to get him wins.

So I'd fix the position players first, then add a SP, then add a Guzman at the deadline when we get close. I think that method of rebuilding carries the least risk.

Think about Harang and Arroyo. Two years ago, few (if any) on the board wanted to trade them. Yes, there were some reservations about the $$ on Arroyo's contract, but most were happy to have them. Now, there's a good percentage of the board that wants to dump them just for salary relief. Investing in big money in pitching without having the position players ready is kind of foolhardy, IMO. It's worse than having a great starting 8 and no pitching, because that expensive pitching can go south at any time. Look at Volquez, for example. That's a pretty huge investment that might be worthless now. I hope he recovers, but we certainly gave up a lot to get him and now his career might be in jeopardy.

Eric_the_Red
08-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Holliday over Bay, and it really isn't very close. After a torrid start, the book is out on Bay: he cannot hit a curve ball. Take a gander at his numbers the last 28 days:

19 games, 78 PA
.190/.397/.293/.691
1 HR
3 RBI
18 SO/17 BB

I'm not saying his career is over or that he isn't better than anything the Reds have. Quite the opposite is true, IMO. BUT- if the Reds could sign one player from the poll, it would have to be Holliday.

kpresidente
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I think you guys need to give it up. Recent events have ruined any hope we had for next season. The way I look at it, in order to compete next year, we'd have needed to bring in A) a quality middle-infielder, B) a LF with a middle-of-the-order bat and C) pray that Bruce breaks out. The only way to accomplish the first two was to move some major salary. Couple of ways you could have done that...

1) Trade Cordero, Rhodes and Weathers. Given these are salary dumps, you probably wouldn't have gotten much in the way of talent in return, and you'd have had to put up some money to move them. Fine. With Stewart, Roenicke, Manuel and Fisher on the way, the bullpen could have easily absorbed to loss. Unfortunately, Walt in his infinite wisdom, traded away 3 of those 4, killing this option. Fisher can probably replace Weathers, but now losing the other two equals a net loss in production.

2) Trade Arroyo. Nobody wants Arroyo, of course, so you'd have to pay a significant part of his salary, maybe you save $6 million or so. That would have been OK, because you could pray that some combo of Bailey/Maloney or Stewart could make a quality 5th starter on the cheap. However, with Volquez out, and Stewart gone, the rotation can't take the hit, and the replacements aren't there.

Walt didn't make the moves he needed to, and the moves he made were the wrong ones. It'd take some master management to pull out a competitive roster at this point, and the guy we're counting on is the same guy who signed Willie Taveras and Jerry Hairston, and traded his best young pitchers for an aging 3B on a one-year deal. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

nate
08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm not sure about that.

The other thing to remember is that for the Reds to sign one of these premier FAs, you'd have to assume they must shed either Harang or Arroyo (or both) first. The way that rotation is looking these days, this team is Washington Nationals bad.

I was saying that lineup with this year's rotation would be better than this year's offense with one spot improved in the rotation.

In other words, those offensive additions would contribute much more positively than improving a rotation spot.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 11:39 AM
No way the Reds can compete with the rotation of Harang, Cueto, Bailey, Arroyo and Owings. There are no in-house fixes for this rotation and if they dump Arroyo and/or Harang for salary relief the outlook is even more bleak.

Unfortunately the signing a free agent starter rarely works out well.

There are no good answers. One signing will not push this team to contention.

This is totally correct. They'll trade for more offense this offseason, and maybe trade for some fringy lefty starter.

The offense will once again be good in 2010--of that I have little doubt. But the pitching will be as abysmal as it always is.

kpresidente
08-06-2009, 11:45 AM
This is totally correct. They'll trade for more offense this offseason, and maybe trade for some fringy lefty starter.

Yup. Carl Pavano was my thought. He's aging and trending down, which means low-cost, but he's better than his numbers (.330 babip against, 4.50 fip) and he's a ground-ball pitcher. Not pretty, but that's the kind of thing we're looking at.

TRF
08-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Holliday over Bay, and it really isn't very close. After a torrid start, the book is out on Bay: he cannot hit a curve ball. Take a gander at his numbers the last 28 days:

19 games, 78 PA
.190/.397/.293/.691
1 HR
3 RBI
18 SO/17 BB

I'm not saying his career is over or that he isn't better than anything the Reds have. Quite the opposite is true, IMO. BUT- if the Reds could sign one player from the poll, it would have to be Holliday.

Because one month trumps six years of being an offensive force? I'll take Bay.

Johnny Footstool
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I voted for Holliday, but I've re-evaluated my position. Productive outfielders are plentiful. I'd rather see the Reds go after a medium-priced arb-eligible guy like Luke Scott or Jeremy Hermida and spend the big money on Lackey.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I voted for Holliday, but I've re-evaluated my position. Productive outfielders are plentiful. I'd rather see the Reds go after a medium-priced guy like Luke Scott and spend the big money on Lackey.

There is no way the Reds will pony up for Lackey. Not a chance. He'll be one of the prime targets for a lot of teams this offseason.

Spring~Fields
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
There is no way the Reds will pony up for Lackey. Not a chance. He'll be one of the prime targets for a lot of teams this offseason.

I agree with you. I don't think the Reds have the resources in money or trading talent to obtain what they need to obtain a quality product on the field. By the way, are they going younger, older or just looking for fodder to fill the roster?

nate
08-06-2009, 12:43 PM

19 games, 78 PA
.190/.397/.293/.691
1 HR
3 RBI
18 SO/17 BB

I wouldn't make any decisions based on 78 PA.

However, I would prefer Holliday simply because he's better and younger. That's going to add up to more expensive though.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
I agree with you. I don't think the Reds have the resources in money or trading talent to obtain what they need to obtain a quality product on the field. By the way, are they going younger, older or just looking for fodder to fill the roster?

Like a lot of fans, I think the FO is deluded into thinking this team's strength is still the pitching. When in fact the pitching and the offense are equally bad right now. The pitching has nowhere to go but down and to stay down. Offensive options are wide open for this team--and it will be the offense that receives the most attention in the offseason.

Perception (offense is bad; pitching is good has been the zeitgeist for many months) drives decisions, not facts and proper analysis of depth.

CTA513
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't mind getting Hudson if Phillips really is willing to move to shortstop.
I also wouldn't mind getting Holliday, Lackey, Webb or Harden.
Harden would need to be babied and Webb is just coming off surgery and would have to be released first.

klw
08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
I think signing Webb on a cheap 2 year deal could pay dividends in the long run. His injury should make him an affordable risk.

LoganBuck
08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
I voted Dye. I think his price will be lower due to the market for players of his skill set, and he could be had at a "bargain price". Which may allow the Reds to sign a different player to fill other needs.

corkedbat
08-07-2009, 12:23 AM
I don't think this team will contend next year with just one addition or even two. I'm not familiar wth Webb's injury. If it's something that he should bounce back from and isn't chronic, I'd sign him, even if it means two or three months of re-had (it might even hold his price a little). Sign him for 3-4 years and shoot for a Webb, Cueto, Volquez rotationin 2011 along with a couple of guys that step up. Only if Webb projects as physically sound going forward though.

I'd also go after Figgens or Hudson if BP moves to SS, but I wouldn't rule out going after a SS with prospects. I wouldn't mind a Bay signing at all, but actually think I might leave the big bat til last. I think there's always gonna be a bat available, so I might fill the other holes first. I just don't see Holiday. I think they're gonna ask for $18-20M and somebody's gonna hive it to him. If he signs for $15M or less, I'm afraid it will be with the Ratbirds.

corkedbat
08-07-2009, 12:40 AM
I voted Dye. I think his price will be lower due to the market for players of his skill set, and he could be had at a "bargain price". Which may allow the Reds to sign a different player to fill other needs.

It will be interesting to see what the market will bring. It makes my teeth grind to look at Bobby Abreu's numbers (.322 .416 .458 .875) and know the Angels are paying him the same thing for one year that we're paying to endure two years of WillyT.

Scrap Irony
08-07-2009, 01:17 AM
He's not in the poll, but I'd probably go after Carl Crawford if possible. I don't think the Rays will pay him (though they probably should) and he'd be just about the perfect Jocketty acquisition. Just hitting his prime but he still has serious speed. Power's progressing and he's likely a bargain compared to Holliday and Bay.

Not only that, he's the best defensive LF in the game. His speed makes that 838 OPS 936 speed-adjusted.

Put him at the top of the order and score a bunch of runs, though it is short of power in the OF. (The IF should help them out, as Rolen, Phillips, Frazier, and Votto should average 20 between them.)

Crawford LF
Heisey CF
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce/Gomes RF
Phillips SS
Frazier 2B
Hanigan/ FA C

The starting rotation would be weak, but not horrid. Cincinnati should hang around .500 or so most of the season, hoping Bailey catches fire, Leake throws like he's in Tempe, Harang finds his 07 magic, or Volquez comes back strong.

Cueto
Harang
Arroyo
Owings
Bailey

corkedbat
08-07-2009, 01:24 AM
He's not in the poll, but I'd probably go after Carl Crawford if possible. I don't think the Rays will pay him (though they probably should) and he'd be just about the perfect Jocketty acquisition. Just hitting his prime but he still has serious speed. Power's progressing and he's likely a bargain compared to Holliday and Bay.

Not only that, he's the best defensive LF in the game. His speed makes that 838 OPS 936 speed-adjusted.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind Crawford either. He's not Holiday or Bay HR-wise, but you might even come close to getting he and Figgens for what you'd have to pay for Holiday. The questions would be, would either or both sign here and would there be anything left to address pitching?

Maybe, if you could get Escobar for prospects and deal Phillips for a young pitcher. Reds management would never do it, but now's time to dream and keep our minds off another meaningless pennant race.

2B Figgens
SS Escobar
LF Crawford
1B Votto
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
CF Stubbs/Dickerson/Heisey
CA Hanigan

redsfandan
08-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Haven't we already seen what a big offense and patchwork rotation gets us?
Arguably the only season this decade where we had a "big offense" was '05 when we were 4th in runs scored in the majors. That team didn't do so hot with a 73-89 record. But that teams rotation consisted of a good Harang and then ... Milton, Ortiz, Claussen, & Hudson. Team era was 5.18, 28th in the majors and two of the starters had an era over 6.

This season the team era is 4.45 (20th). With any improvement from Cueto, Bailey, & Harang we'd be at least league average with much better defense than in '05.

The offensive player that would make the most sense also wouldn't be the pick of most: Dye. He'll be alot cheaper than Bay/Holliday and might be more open to a two-year deal. I say two years because after two years Harang, Arroyo, and Cordero will all be gone so we'll have alot more financial room to go after a bigger bat.

Eric_the_Red
08-07-2009, 09:17 AM
If Carl Crawford becomes available, I'd love to have him. He is still young (just turned 28), and except for slipping in a season with injuries last year, he has been a productive hitter most of his career. Plus he would provide better defense in LF than Holliday or Bay (and he is younger than both).

That said, I think the Rays would be crazy to let him go.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
Like a lot of fans, I think the FO is deluded into thinking this team's strength is still the pitching. When in fact the pitching and the offense are equally bad right now. The pitching has nowhere to go but down and to stay down. Offensive options are wide open for this team--and it will be the offense that receives the most attention in the offseason.

Perception (offense is bad; pitching is good has been the zeitgeist for many months) drives decisions, not facts and proper analysis of depth.

Then isn't that on your boy Walt?

I don't think BC or Dusty is telling him exactly what part of the team to address. If Walt addresses the offense and not the pitching this offseason, maybe he's not the inculpable genius you think he is.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 09:49 AM
As an aside, it's very interesting how split the board is on which direction to take this offseason. I can't recall many polls on this board in which the leader has garnered less than 1/3 of the total votes.

As for Carl Crawford, my guess is if the Rays let him walk, he'll be WAY out of our price range. Would be nice though...

nate
08-07-2009, 09:53 AM
As an aside, it's very interesting how split the board is on which direction to take this offseason. I can't recall many polls on this board in which the leader has garnered less than 1/3 of the total votes.

As for Carl Crawford, my guess is if the Rays let him walk, he'll be WAY out of our price range. Would be nice though...

Do you think he'd be more expensive than Holiday?

Benihana
08-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Do you think he'd be more expensive than Holiday?

It's certainly possible, yes.

Holliday is a very good player, but his skill set is not terribly unique (hence the Jason Bay comparisons.)
If Crawford continues to develop power, he will be a one-of-a-kind type player. Plus he's younger than Holliday.