PDA

View Full Version : Indians projected to lose $16 million

Chip R
08-06-2009, 01:55 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4381129

Red in Chicago
08-06-2009, 02:06 PM
It's only because GAC didn't keep his promise to switch over to the Indians fan base after the Dusty hiring.

Unassisted
08-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Damage control. We didn't unload a Cy Young winner for the second year in a row because we're cheap. We just couldn't make payroll anymore.

Tom Servo
08-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Purely out of the kindness of the Reds heart, I suppose we COULD be nice enough to take Grady Sizemore off their hands. But only because they're our Ohio brethren.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Purely out of the kindness of the Reds heart, I suppose we COULD be nice enough to take Grady Sizemore off their hands. But only because they're our Ohio brethren.

Absolutely. Now's the time to take a new tack: this organization isn't going to get pitching, so they ought to rake in as much offensive/defensive talent as they can. They won't win, but they'll be a lot more fun to follow.

15fan
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Absolutely. Now's the time to take a new tack: this organization isn't going to get pitching, so they ought to rake in as much offensive/defensive talent as they can. They won't win, but they'll be a lot more fun to follow.

Wasn't that the JimBo approach?

Strikes Out Looking
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Until they allow an independent firm to come in and audit their books, I don't believe a word any team says about losing money. And I would have never bought a used car from Bud Selig either.

REDREAD
08-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Damage control. We didn't unload a Cy Young winner for the second year in a row because we're cheap. We just couldn't make payroll anymore.

Yep, a load of baloney. I'm sure they didn't do their initial budget assuming they would win the World Series. 16 million is a lot of lost ticket/concession revenue. The TV money is still the same.

More baseball teams crying poor. It's gotten absurd. I wonder if they hired John Allen.

Chip R
08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Until they allow an independent firm to come in and audit their books, I don't believe a word any team says about losing money. And I would have never bought a used car from Bud Selig either.

Agreed. They may have legitimately lost money but there are plenty of accounting tricks to make that look worse than it is. Call me when teams start missing payrolls and/or go bankrupt.

Highlifeman21
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Didn't Allen cook the Reds books for awhile to show them losing money, or am I misremembering?

MrCinatit
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
And that is coming from the MORE successful major league franchise in the state.

redsmetz
08-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Didn't Allen cook the Reds books for awhile to show them losing money, or am I misremembering?

I doubt he "cooked the books," but there are accounting tricks you can do (and I don't necessarily mean that in an underhanded way) that charge cost sooner rather than later, etc. I do think the Reds charged Griffey's deferred money entirely each year and I think they did it with cash. I had assumed at the time of the deal that they would have purchased annuities, paying a lower cost now and having it ready to pay in full when the deferred money comes due (which is now, I believe). Charging the cost in full at the year the salary was earned would inflate the costs then instead of later. Now I'm not an accountant, so someone who is, correct me if I've misunderstood this exercise.

Falls City Beer
08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Wasn't that the JimBo approach?

It worked for the 90's--at least part of it.

I guess I'm saying, they may not have a choice.

15fan
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
It worked for the 90's--at least part of it.

I guess I'm saying, they may not have a choice.

That was Bowden's mantra. Offense.

It was also his strategy in designing / building the hitters park that is GABP, which isn't going anywhere any time soon.

It's a gift that keeps giving.