PDA

View Full Version : Rotation spot for Lehr in 2010?

redlegs2370
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
I really like what I have seen from Justin Lehr in the past two starts and would like to see him have an opportunity for a spot in the rotation next season.

He reminds me of Steve Parris, who pitched for the Reds in the late 90's. Parris was 31 years old with an 11-4 record and 3.50 era in 1999. I think Lehr could possibly post similar numbers for the Reds next season, as the number 5 man in the rotation.

Captain Hook
08-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Even though hitters had a hard time figuring Paris out in 99 he was terrible for the most part.I would guess that over the course of a full season Lehr would be to.It doesn't hurt for him to hang around for the rest of this year to at least see if he would be useful as a replacement in case injuries hit in 2010.He would have to be nothing short of amazing the rest of the way this year for me to be comfortable with him in the rotation next year.

I loved the effort last night though.

redlegs2370
08-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Even though hitters had a hard time figuring Paris out in 99 he was terrible for the most part.I would guess that over the course of a full season Lehr would be to.

Good point Captain Hook, and I agree that the league might figure him out with enough AB's against him. Parris only started around 22 games that season. Unfortunately the Mets were one of them in that play in game that Parris lost 5-0. Parris went 12-17 the next year and his era ballooned to 4.81.

ILoveWilly
08-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I say give him a shot, even this year, the way he pitched the other night. May as well give Owings some time off or something.

big boy
08-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Tom Shearn had some good starts, also. Not big league material though. Not sure about Lehr.

gedred69
08-06-2009, 10:15 PM
Please,,,,,, it's way to early to begin even hazarding an opinion. Tradition says he's a marginal pitcher. Yet last night says he's figured some things out at age......32 I think? (Or the Cubbies were hung over from funning the night before at how pathetic this Reds team is).

GIDP
08-06-2009, 10:17 PM
it will only be a matter of time before they pick up a better scouting report on him. I hope we dont go into 2010 with him in our rotation. It would be like going into 2009 with our left field being 4 guys who's bats only profile be CF.

MotownRed
08-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Lehr may be used in long relief in 2010.

davereds24
08-06-2009, 10:44 PM
1 start and you are giving him a spot for next year? I'd like to see him in the rotation the rest of this year and go from there.

steig
08-07-2009, 08:58 AM
If Lehr is in our rotation for 2010, then the 2010 season is already lost.

justincredible
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
If Lehr is in our rotation for 2010, then the 2010 season is already lost.

Agreed.

Boston Red
08-07-2009, 10:30 AM
I think it's ridiculous to rule him either in or out at this point. He will either earn his way in at the end of this year and in Spring Training, or he won't. That's the nice thing about baseball.

bellposter
08-07-2009, 11:27 AM
how about ramon ramirez?

steig
08-07-2009, 04:54 PM
I think it's ridiculous to rule him either in or out at this point. He will either earn his way in at the end of this year and in Spring Training, or he won't. That's the nice thing about baseball.

Team that win and compete for championships don't have guys like Justin Lehr as possible starters.

GIDP
08-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Lehr would have to pitch completely lights out for me to even consider giving him a real chance. I just dont think he has it in him. He maybe could relieve in the 5th 6th inning rolls but other than that? No thanks.

gedred69
08-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Agreed.

I second that emotion.

Boston Red
08-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Team that win and compete for championships don't have guys like Justin Lehr as possible starters.

Probably right. But we'll find out the best way possible: through his performance or lack thereof.

Captain Hook
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Lehr getting the job done again tonight against another good team.I really thought the Cards would be ready to face a 31yr old minor league pitcher who has now had a few starts in the bigs.Who is this guy and where did he come from?:confused:

REDblooded
08-11-2009, 11:46 PM
Lehr getting the job done again tonight against another good team.I really thought the Cards would be ready to face a 31yr old minor league pitcher who has now had a few starts in the bigs.Who is this guy and where did he come from?:confused:

A good buddy of mine is a huge Cards fan... He predicted a stellar Lehr performance, as he said the Cards have no advanced scouting, rather they rely on video... SO facing a new pitcher like Lehr, the pitcher will have the advantage.

Boston Red
08-11-2009, 11:55 PM
Love the results....but 11 hits in six innings. Talk about living on the edge!

davereds24
08-12-2009, 04:48 AM
Love the results....but 11 hits in six innings. Talk about living on the edge!

only a couple were hit hard, several were infield hits. 2 of those hits and the only run came after gonzo couldn't turn a fairly easy DP. i agree though that he was living on the edge but no extra base hits to that lineup is pretty impressive.

texasdave
08-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I feel like any player that excels at the AAA level should get an extended look in the majors. Even if that players' skills "appear" to be marginal he should be given that look. Sometimes the success of a player is baffling. How many times have you heard or read that a player was too short, too slow, too this or that, but all they do is get the job done? The Reds need to find a couple of those players. I would bring up Maloney and give him an extended look as well. Sure most of them will fail, but a club just might find a keeper or two. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

vottofan4life
08-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Could Brewers claim Arroyo and we claim JJ Hardy and take Bill Hall of their hands to?
To make a Trade of Arroyo and Weathers for Hardy and Hall would be great!

Then in the offseason sign Johnny Damon and acquire Doumit and Maholm for Valaika,Puckett,and Neftali Soto. Then a minor deal like Lincoln,Taveras,and Janish for Josh Fields and Chris Getz

Think of the 2010 lineup

CF Stubbs
LF Hall/Damon
1b Votto
3b Rolen
2B Phillips
RF Bruce
C Doumit/Hanigan
SS Hardy
P -------

Rotation
SP Harang
SP Cueto
SP Maholm
SP Bailey
SP Wood

Bullpen:
Jared Burton
Micah Owings
Carlos Fisher
Danny Ray Herrera
Nick Masset
Arthur Rhodes
Coco Cordero

malcontent
08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I would bring up Maloney and give him an extended look as well.

Absolutely.

CySeymour
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Could Brewers claim Arroyo and we claim JJ Hardy and take Bill Hall of their hands to?
To make a Trade of Arroyo and Weathers for Hardy and Hall would be great!

Then in the offseason sign Johnny Damon and acquire Doumit and Maholm for Valaika,Puckett,and Neftali Soto. Then a minor deal like Lincoln,Taveras,and Janish for Josh Fields and Chris Getz

There's a whole lot of dreamin in that.

texasdave
08-12-2009, 05:33 PM
There's a whole lot of dreamin in that.

If you're gonna dream, dream big.

redssouth
08-12-2009, 06:16 PM
The thing I like about Lehr, is that it he just doesnt let the batter square the bat on a pitch. He nibbles, hits his spots and changes speeds well enough to keep hitters off balance.
While he is never going to have a high K rate, I would be interested to see what his line drive rate is. How many of his hits are dribblers through the infield, or bloops to sweet spots? Where a pitcher like Homer in the past, (he seems to be getting better) has missed a lot of bats, but when he does give up contact, its blasted.

I am not sure if his recent pitching is repeatable for this season let alone next season, but it is fun watching a guy who knows how to "pitch". You can only pitch one start at a time, and as long as you keep getting results, you will get another turn, be it this year, or next.

TheBigLebowski
08-12-2009, 07:09 PM
You just leave him out there for the rest of this season and see how he does. If he keeps replicating good results, hell, maybe we have something here. If not, he helps the Bats win a pennant or two and makes a very good living doing it.

redlegs2370
08-16-2009, 05:56 PM
3 straight quality starts for Lehr! I would think he at least is giving himself an opportunity for a ST invite in 2010.

Boston Red
09-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Thought I'd bring this thread back up. I think we've had enough time to evaluate this now, and I think it's pretty clear Lehr is not going to start next year in the rotation. However, my personal opinion is that he's shown enough to be the sixth or seventh starter for next season, meaning that I would love to have him in Louisville, and if guys in the rotation get injured (as they always seem to), he could provide a spot start or a short-term rotation fill-in. I think he's been solid enough that I would be comfortable with him as a fall-back plan.

bellposter
09-20-2009, 06:39 PM
Lehr is exactly what is wrong (along with 50,000 other reasons) with the reds

Boston Red
09-20-2009, 08:08 PM

How so? Lehr was essentially the #7 starter for the Reds this year. He didn't get a shot until Owings and Volquez both went down. I think he's fine in that role. Really, how many franchises have a good #7 option?

bellposter
09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
five homeruns in one game puts him in the same category as brandon claussen jeff austin kevin jarvis and tim pugh

RoundingThird
10-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I think he's worth having around and at least letting him compete for a spot. I assume our rotation for 2010 is Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, and who? Maybe Maloney? Am I forgetting someone?

texasdave
10-02-2009, 11:37 AM

He taught Homer Bailey the splitter. How about some props for that?