PDA

View Full Version : Jays see potential in Encarnacion's glove

Captain Hook
08-07-2009, 01:01 AM
Good luck with that Toronto.Here's a quote from the Article that sounds very familiar.

"Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez sent a sharply hit grounder down the third-base line, where Encarnacion made a nice backhanded stab at the ball. After gathering himself, Encarnacion sent the baseball skipping across the diamond to first, where Rodriguez easily reached for an infield single. It was the type of difficult play Rolen has made look routine over the years".

Here's the link

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090804&content_id=6240128&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

Captain Hook
08-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Thought I'd add that with Toronto EE is 3-16 with 0 BB.That a .188 avg. and obp. in case you wondered.

mroby85
08-07-2009, 01:25 AM
It's really pretty simple... Edwin Sucks, lol

Stormy Weathers
08-07-2009, 01:47 AM
Thought I'd add that with Toronto EE is 3-16 with 0 BB.That a .188 avg. and obp. in case you wondered.

higher average than rolen so far and they got 2 good young arms.

ILoveWilly
08-07-2009, 02:08 AM
higher average than rolen so far and they got 2 good young arms.

Yeah Rolen is down to what - .315 or something on the year? EE continues to bat below the Mendoza line.

mroby85
08-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Rolen also has a 2 run game deciding HR, along with stellar defense.

mac624
08-07-2009, 09:26 AM
In EdE's small defense, he's facing most pitchers he's never seen before. Can't say the same for Rolen, though it's been a while since he probably saw these pitchers to remember them all.

As for EdE's glove, typical great play one time, stupid play the next. He's not Scott Rolen, he's a pretty good fielder, but I'd be shocked if he ever hit .270+ and not make 20+ errors in a single season. He'll be gone for Toronto in less than 3 years, I can guarentee it.

Captain Hook
08-07-2009, 11:37 AM
In his time with the Reds since coming off the DL on July 3rd he helped the team manage to go 6-18.I though he was supposed to help.I'm certainly not saying it was all his fault just that we won't miss him.

GBC Red
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I held out hope for Edwin just like everyone else, but this season I deecided that he just wasn't going to get it. Atrocious fielding (referring to his throws to first, not his glove) and sub par hitting, that's what you can expect out of Edwin.

Girevik
08-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Edwin's glove was never his problem....he could pick them up, the just couldn't get them to where they needed to go. Seems like that's got to be more mental than anything else. You could probably live with that if his bat ever lived up to the promise, but I think pretty much all of us got tried of wating for it.

Newman4
08-07-2009, 12:49 PM
they got 2 good young arms.

That's the unfortunate part

steig
08-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Edwin's glove was never his problem....he could pick them up, the just couldn't get them to where they needed to go. Seems like that's got to be more mental than anything else. You could probably live with that if his bat ever lived up to the promise, but I think pretty much all of us got tried of wating for it.

At least he never got to the point of Chuck Knoblauch.

Kingspoint
08-07-2009, 08:27 PM

How's that .111 average looking of Rolen's?

Captain Hook
08-07-2009, 10:50 PM
How's that .111 average looking of Rolen's?

Why would that bother anyone after just 9 ABs?Besides I wasn't running EE in the ground just thought that since I started a thread about him I'd give an update.He has a hit tonight.Good for EE.

mroby85
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Why would that bother anyone after just 9 ABs?Besides I wasn't running EE in the ground just thought that since I started a thread about him I'd give an update.He has a hit tonight.Good for EE.

I hope EE never gets a hit again. He was one of the most frustrating players i've ever sat through watching, and was happy to leave. Goodbye, and good riddance to bad luck.

Krawhitham
08-08-2009, 12:51 AM

which is better than Rolen's .167

Captain Hook
08-08-2009, 04:08 AM

You guys that say these things that make me wonder if you even care if the Reds win or loose.EE rarely contributed in a positive way.Whether it was him striking out or throwing the ball away it seemed like he was right in the middle of a lot of Reds loses.Rolen, even when not getting a hit every time up plays great D and has much better ABs then EE.He has a presence in the lineup that makes everyone better.The Reds are now 2-2 with Rolen in the lineup and while he has contributed in the wins he hasn't been front and center when the team has lost.

Really,there hasn't been enough time to say that Rolen has or hasn't made a difference.However, if you considering how the Reds have played the last month, seeing a few wins with Rolen right in the middle of things has me happy to have him around.You guys go ahead and keep pointing out meaningless stats though.

mroby85
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
You guys that say these things that make me wonder if you even care if the Reds win or loose.EE rarely contributed in a positive way.Whether it was him striking out or throwing the ball away it seemed like he was right in the middle of a lot of Reds loses.Rolen, even when not getting a hit every time up plays great D and has much better ABs then EE.He has a presence in the lineup that makes everyone better.The Reds are now 2-2 with Rolen in the lineup and while he has contributed in the wins he hasn't been front and center when the team has lost.

Really,there hasn't been enough time to say that Rolen has or hasn't made a difference.However, if you considering how the Reds have played the last month, seeing a few wins with Rolen right in the middle of things has me happy to have him around.You guys go ahead and keep pointing out meaningless stats though.

Couldn't agree more! Very well said.

Plus Plus
08-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Small sample size > career track record on the sun deck. Statements like this and the one earlier about Rolen hitting .111 are just silly and unnecessary. If you can't acknowledge that Rolen is a substantially better baseball player than EE then I suggest that you start to follow another sport like the WNBA or Aussie Rules Football.

jfleur87
08-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I'm sure its been mentioned, but I have to think as nice of a guy Votto is. He probably was breathing multiple sighs of relief upon hearing it is no longer a guessing game when the ball is coming from the hot corner

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I always thought EE was a decent fielder... it was his throwing that made him his play adventurous.

ScottyJ
08-10-2009, 10:57 AM
If you can't acknowledge that Rolen is a substantially better baseball player than EE.....

Absolutely. As I stated on another thread, Rolen is, in every way, an upgrade to Encarnacion.

I predict that Rolen will still be contributing to a MLB team after Edwin's career is over...

bounty37h
08-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Good luck with that Toronto.Here's a quote from the Article that sounds very familiar.

"Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez sent a sharply hit grounder down the third-base line, where Encarnacion made a nice backhanded stab at the ball. After gathering himself, Encarnacion sent the baseball skipping across the diamond to first, where Rodriguez easily reached for an infield single. It was the type of difficult play Rolen has made look routine over the years".

Here's the link

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090804&content_id=6240128&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor

I saw potential in his glove too, unfortunately, its his throwing hand/arm that sucked. He could make a grab, he would just bean a lady five rows up in the stands with it once he did.

malcontent
08-10-2009, 06:58 PM
I'm sure its been mentioned, but I have to think as nice of a guy Votto is. He probably was breathing multiple sighs of relief upon hearing it is no longer a guessing game when the ball is coming from the hot corner

Not a fan of the trade, but you know that's true.

gilpdawg
08-11-2009, 12:55 AM
I hope EE never gets a hit again. He was one of the most frustrating players i've ever sat through watching, and was happy to leave. Goodbye, and good riddance to bad luck.
You stay classy, San Diego.