PDA

View Full Version : Alex Rios claimed on waivers by...?

danforsman
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/alex-rios-claimed-on-waivers-trade-next.html

There's been smoke before. If it leads to the end of the Wily T era, I'll send in $20.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2009, 04:19 PM
Never in a million years will it be the Reds. Giants?

Benihana
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM

That was my thoughts too. It would be the shock of the century (if it were the Reds.)

Will be interesting to see if the Jays let him walk for nothing. I've suggested before that we might've been able to get him for Taveras.

Reds Fanatic
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Never in a million years will it be the Reds. Giants?I think the Giants are the most likely team. The Mets are another possibility. I would be shocked if this is the Reds.

KoryMac5
08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
I can't see the Reds with all the bad contracts they have putting in a claim. I would think the White Sox might be crazy enough to put together a package for Rios. Whoever it is the Jays are going to be kicking in a lot of cake to make this work.

Mario-Rijo
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM

Yeah I could see the Giants they need a cornerstone type of bat badly. Probably the best fit right there. I can't see us taking on that contract though.

M2
08-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I remember back when the Red Sox put Manny on waivers and nobody bit. The Sox went on to win two World Series after that. Rios is no Manny, but the appropriate thing to do when a team is giving away talent is to say yes.

The Mets should be flogged if Rios got by them on the waiver wire, absolutely flogged.

Blitz Dorsey
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
If Rios had played for Jocketty in St. Louis and was approaching the age of 35, I might be able to buy it. ;-)

Falls City Beer
08-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah I could see the Giants they need a cornerstone type of bat badly. Probably the best fit right there. I can't see us taking on that contract though.

I like Sabean a lot. His road of excess has led to a number of palaces of wisdom.

He's gutsy, and he'd do something like this, bucking the handwringers.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Maybe this was part of the Rolen plan all along?

Build up enough goodwill by overpaying in talent for Rolen so that they'll return the favor when we claim Alex Rios. Hey, anything's possible right?

Falls City Beer
08-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey, anything's possible right?

No. :p:

KoryMac5
08-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I like Sabean a lot. His road of excess has led to a number of palaces of wisdom.

He's already got two really bad contracts on the Giants in Zito and Rowand. If you add Rios that straps them financially for the next three or four years. Especially if you want to sign that good young pitching long term.

Rios playing right field would work for the Giants I just don't think you could crunch the numbers well enough to make it a financially sound move.

NJReds
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
I think the Giants are the most likely team. The Mets are another possibility. I would be shocked if this is the Reds.

I was going to say no way for the Mets, but it makes sense for them. He's the kind of rightfielder that they need in that cavern of a right field. A lot of money is coming off their payroll next year (Delgado, Wagner). On the surface, it appears to be a fit. They could put Francour in LF.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 04:39 PM
The Reds could do worse...

blumj
08-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I don't see how Rios gets by every AL team to an NL team.

Falls City Beer
08-07-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't see how Rios gets by every AL team to an NL team.

He's got a hefty price tag. I could see it happening. I just don't think it's likely.

KoryMac5
08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I remember back when the Red Sox put Manny on waivers and nobody bit. The Sox went on to win two World Series after that. Rios is no Manny, but the appropriate thing to do when a team is giving away talent is to say yes.

The Mets should be flogged if Rios got by them on the waiver wire, absolutely flogged.

The Mets continue to state that they do not want to get into luxury tax territory. Besides I think many in their front office have resigned themselves to a wait until next year attitude.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
He's got a hefty price tag. I could see it happening. I just don't think it's likely.

I can't see the Red Sox, Rangers, Rays, Twins or Angels claiming him. Yankees or White Sox maybe, although Chicago's doubtful after picking up Peavy's contract.

Who else in the AL would even be on the radar?

JaxRed
08-07-2009, 04:46 PM
If the Jays have any sense at all they'll let him walk.

M2
08-07-2009, 04:48 PM
He's already got two really bad contracts on the Giants in Zito and Rowand. If you add Rios that straps them financially for the next three or four years. Especially if you want to sign that good young pitching long term.

Rios playing right field would work for the Giants I just don't think you could crunch the numbers well enough to make it a financially sound move.

SF's a big market and only has an $82.6 million payroll. It's also got close to $30 million of old ballplayers coming off the payroll after this season (and Edgar Renteria coming off the year after). If there's any club that can and should be spending money, it's the Giants.

Nugget
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Oakland.

M2
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
The Mets continue to state that they do not want to get into luxury tax territory. Besides I think many in their front office have resigned themselves to a wait until next year attitude.

Exactly, and next year they're going to need a player like Rios. His cost for the rest of this season is negligible and the Mets have more than enough coming off the books to pay for him next season.

thatcoolguy_22
08-07-2009, 04:53 PM
I miss krivsky a lot. His road of excess has led to a number of palaces of wisdom.

(fixed for accuracy) :D

just saying...

princeton
08-07-2009, 04:56 PM
just saying...

yup

but I have to say that WJ's Rolen trade is deliciously interesting. possibly insane, but definitely interesting.

RedsManRick
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I don't think he made it out of the AL. The Yankees are going to need a LF next year and could easily take on the salary. I bet the Jays pull him back and the Yanks trade Melky for him.

M2
08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
I don't think he made it out of the AL. The Yankees are going to need a LF next year and could easily take on the salary. I bet the Jays pull him back and the Yanks trade Melky for him.

IIRC, waivers now goes by overall record irrespective of league, same as the draft.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 05:06 PM
IIRC, waivers now goes by overall record irrespective of league, same as the draft.

In that case, Alex Rios come on down!

princeton
08-07-2009, 05:07 PM
you KNOW JimBo would have claimed him, even if he was expressly ordered not to do so.

therefore, I'd pass.

Joseph
08-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry for all the excitement guys. I actually claimed him in one of my fantasy leagues. I blogged about it, a news outlet read it and assumed I must be credible with a blog like baseballgenius.blogspot.com and they reported it as fact.

Note, I do not blog and have no idea if thats a real one or not.

blumj
08-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh, then this is just another case of me not knowing what I was talking about, then.

RedsManRick
08-07-2009, 05:40 PM

Huh. Good to know. Still, if Castellini is scuttling trades over taking on a few $100k this year as reported, no way can Jocketty risk landing a $60M deal.

Strikes Out Looking
08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Huh. Good to know. Still, if Castellini is scuttling trades over taking on a few $100k this year as reported, no way can Jocketty risk landing a $60M deal.

Maybe he's still drunk from the champagne on Wed. night when "it almost felt like winning the World Series" or he ate some fruit that fermented in storage.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 05:45 PM

Or we could trade Arroyo+Taveras for Rios.

Still a net savings for Toronto and allows the Reds to spread out their liabilities to years where there's almost no salary on the books.

Then sign Webb to an incentive laden deal that is backloaded for 2011-12 and trade some combination of Stubbs/Heisey, Alonso and Francisco for a #3 pitcher with whoever you don't trade platooning with Balentien or Gomes and VOILA, you could have a contender!

CF Rios
SS Phillips
1B Votto
3B Rolen
RF Bruce
LF Balentien/Gomes/Heisey/Alonso (maybe even Francisco for 2011-)
2B Frazier
C Hanigan

(Note the lineup construction is Dustified)

SP Webb
SP Cueto
SP Acquisition (for some combination of Stubbs/Heisey/Alonso/Francisco)
SP Harang (Volquez for 2011-)
SP Bailey/Owings

Will M
08-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Or we could trade Arroyo+Taveras for Rios.

Still a net savings for Toronto and allows the Reds to spread out their liabilities to years where there's almost no salary on the books.

I am a bit confused by the whole waiver trade stuff.
please explain this to me. if the Jays can say 'he's all yours' then why would they take on crappy players/bad salaries in exchange for him?

Tom Servo
08-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Maybe he's still drunk from the champagne on Wed. night
We're talking about Walt though, not La Russa.

Brutus
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
Allow me to preface my following comment by saying, at the right price, I would still take Rios given his defense, his speed and his power.

But one comment to make:

At his salary, and given the Reds' already woeful on-base percentage as a team, does everyone realize that's $60 mil committed to a guy with a career .335 OBP? Seems a bit steep.

I do like the guy's upside. I'm just not sure it's a wise investment for an already strapped club. If, like a few people have mentioned, the Reds could shed Arroyo's salary and such, I would do it if the Reds don't give up much.

Benihana
08-07-2009, 05:54 PM
please explain this to me. if the Jays can say 'he's all yours' then why would they take on crappy players/bad salaries in exchange for him?

To save face with their fanbase that they get a "playoff-caliber" pitcher in return?

No one knows if the Jays are willing to just let Rios walk for nothing. Plus they still have to field a team this year.

savafan
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, the Red Sox have come out and said they didn't put the claim in, so that only leaves 28 other possibilities

Will M
08-07-2009, 05:56 PM
To save face with their fanbase that they get a "playoff-caliber" pitcher in return?

No one knows if the Jays are willing to just let Rios walk for nothing. Plus they still have to field a team this year.

thanks

TheNext44
08-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Actually, it does go by league.

Any player under contract may be placed on waivers at any time. If a player is waived, any team may claim him. If more than one team claims the player from waivers, the team with the weakest record in the player's league gets preference. If no team in the player's league claims him, the claiming team with the weakest record in the other league gets preference. In the first month of the season, preference is determined using the previous year's standings.

And the Mets have said they did not claim him.

White Sox or Giants, imho.

Brutus
08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
Well, the Red Sox have come out and said they didn't put the claim in, so that only leaves 28 other possibilities

The Mets have already said the same thing. And while we're at it, 23. The Pirates, Padres, Indians and Royals are all not taking salary in any capacity.

redsfan4445
08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
its not Boston or the New York Mets

4:41pm: Rob Bradford of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox didn't claim Rios, either.

4:39pm: Joel Sherman of the New York Post hears from a high-ranking Mets official that the Mets did not claim Rios. J.P. Ricciardi didn't get into specifics with MLB.com's Jordan Bastian and just said it's normal to place players on waivers.

TheNext44
08-07-2009, 06:04 PM

The only rational is that they would want some talent for him and don't want him to go for nothing.

If that is the case, the Jays are given a window to work out a deal with the team that claimed him. If no deal is reached, then he remains a Jay for at least 30 more days.

If the Reds did claim him and no one else did, the Jays might think that getting Arroyo and Taveras for him would be better than losing him for nothing, or keeping him. Though that is doubtful.

jojo
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
Claiming order for waivers depends upon how many teams claim him. If multiple teams claim the player, the club with the lowest winning percentage in the player's league gets priority. If only clubs in the other league claim a player, priority is determined strictly by lowest winning percentage.

So I don't think a claim by the Reds would trump one by the Angels if both teams claimed Rios.

Brutus
08-07-2009, 06:12 PM
After going through each team in each division, I could only really see a list of about 4-7 possible teams that would claim him in hopes of landing him (the Yankees are a possibility only to block any trade)...

Giants
White Sox
Tigers
Braves
Reds, Marlins & A's would all possibly be interested if they could creatively work the salaries

jojo
08-07-2009, 06:14 PM
Next44 has a quick draw..... :cool:

TheNext44
08-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Next44 has a quick draw..... :cool:

Yeah, but I cheated by simply copy and pasting. :D

Jpup
08-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Tom Verducci says it's an AL team.

Matt700wlw
08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Jim Bowden claimed him.....

He has to something these days!

Benihana
08-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Yankees are my guess.

TheNext44
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Yankees are my guess.

If they Yankees did claim Rios, then Walt has to be furious with Cashman for demanding that the Reds pay part of Arroyo's salary in their failed deal. Any attempt of the Yankees crying poor would be laughable if they put in a claim for Rios.

Highlifeman21
08-07-2009, 07:51 PM
With the Mets not claiming Rios, it confirms that they are criminally stupid.

Highlifeman21
08-07-2009, 07:53 PM
If they Yankees did claim Rios, then Walt has to be furious with Cashman for demanding that the Reds pay part of Arroyo's salary in their failed deal. Any attempt of the Yankees crying poor would be laughable if they put in a claim for Rios.

Big difference in claiming Rios and wanting money back in a trade where they obtain Arroyo.

Essentially, the Yankees are saying "this is a guy that might help us, but has a horrible contract... give us some cash" vs "this is a guy that definitely can help us, and for multiple years, so we don't mind being on the hook for all of his contract".

Economies of scale.

Patrick Bateman

I officially don't understand how you can be so annoyed with Brandon Phillips, and at the same time greatly admire Rios.

I just don't get it.

TheNext44

Looks like he never got to them. He never got passed the AL, if reports are true.

reds44
08-07-2009, 07:54 PM
If an AL team claimed him, the Mets never had a shot.

TheNext44
08-07-2009, 08:12 PM
I officially don't understand how you can be so annoyed with Brandon Phillips, and at the same time greatly admire Rios.

I just don't get it.

Very similar player, although Phillips plays a tougher and more important defensive position, and most importantly:

Rios: 5 years $59.75M

Phillips: 2 years $18.75M

If the contracts were reversed, so would the annoyance level toward each player.

OnBaseMachine
08-07-2009, 08:42 PM
From Fay:

NO ON RIOS: I was pretty certain the Reds were not the club that claimed Alex Rios off waivers, but I asked anyway. Someone high in the front office confirmed that it wasn't the Reds.

ESPN's Buster Olney reported that Rios has been claimed. He's owed nearly $70 million over the next six years.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3ad8e2f1bd-7e9f-471c-bcce-0640324145e9&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Emin3mShady07
08-07-2009, 11:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4384253

It appears to be the White Sox. Which is good for me. I can't take scott podsednik anymore.

It makes sense to me because Jim Thome is most likely not going to be back next year and Jermaine Dye is a fan favorite, but has looked just awful in the field this year. My guess is that Dye slides to DH and, this being pertinent to the Reds, there is one less Corner OF on the market for them to help them boost their offense.

But this of course, is just my guess.