PDA

View Full Version : Question for moderaters

icehole3
08-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Why cant Hamilton be discussed? Its OK to talk about any other player (Pete Rose whenever he slips up) except Hamilton? Just wondering I thought it was a little strange, this was a big story for Reds fans and within hours of this developing story it gets closed, Im a big Hamilton fan and he slipped up and I feel sorry for him and especially his poor wife who's been thru this tremendous nightmare, I think it makes a for an excellent topic and it gets closed??? I hope this wont get me banned.

GAC
08-09-2009, 07:12 AM
I just read the news on Josh this morning. Very sad.

I'm not going to presume to speak for the moderators, but....

Josh Hamilton is not Pete Rose, in the sense that Rose is such an iconic player to the fans of Cincy. Yes, he has be discussed on here ad nauseum at times, and it does get tiring. And it wouldn't bother me one bit if the mods forbid it too, since it's been beat to death, unless something really "news worthy" happened, like he got re-instated so he can get into the HOF.

But even in that sense, the discussion on Rose is baseball related.

It isn't in Josh's situation. It's a deeply personal matter about a young man's struggles with his "demons", something he will have to deal with possibly the rest of his life. And we have had discussions on that subject matter prior.

So really? What more can we add or discuss?

Also...there are those that maybe don't feel about Josh, or have the sensitivity to his plight, like most do. I could foresee a huge argument brewing the first time someone makes a caustic or insensitive remark like "See! I told you it was a good trade. Once a addict, always an addict", or something to that nature.

I personally think it is a topic matter better discussed on a non-baseball related forum where people are free to do so.

So I think it was a wise decision by the mod, in foresight, to close the thread.

And my prayers go out to Josh and his family. There are some things far more important then baseball.

joshnky
08-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I think the thread title made a religious discussion inevitable. They managed to keep the religious side out of it in the Sun Deck and their thread stayed open.

Highlifeman21
08-09-2009, 08:13 AM
I think the thread title made a religious discussion inevitable. They managed to keep the religious side out of it in the Sun Deck and their thread stayed open.

Definitely.

"Man of God?" in the title pretty much dictated where that thread would go in terms of content and discussion.

ochre
08-09-2009, 08:24 AM
I pretty much closed the thread for the reasons people have listed here. Not really much else I can add to that. As far as I can remember overtly religious discussions have never been acceptable on the baseball side of the board. Before they were all together banned, they were restricted to the non-sports chatter board.

There is still a stickied thread there informing all of the policy.
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39719