PDA

View Full Version : Dodgers In Need Of A Starter

RedLegSuperStar
08-09-2009, 11:21 AM
MLBTradeRumors.com:

The Dodgers - who made valiant attempts to acquire Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, and seemingly every other available pitcher before the deadline - are in a bit of a pitching bind right now because of injuries to Jason Schmidt and Chad Billingsley. Manager Joe Torre had some interesting comments prior to tonight's game against the Braves when asked about who the team's starter would be tomorrow, courtesy of MLB.com's David Ely:

"Right now, we're in the discussion area on that one," Torre said. "We're not at liberty to talk about it at this point. You'll know later on."

"Could be somebody from the outside," Torre said, "we haven't decided on that."

League rules prohibit teams from talking about specific players on waivers, and Ely speculates that they "could be in the process of making a trade for a pitcher off waivers." Depending on how tonight's game plays out, the Dodgers could opt to start longman Jeff Weaver if no deal is made.

I wonder what the return would be for Harang or Arroyo?

TheNext44
08-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I can't link it because it's paid "insider" content, but ESPN.com is reporting that the Rangers are interested in Arroyo and trying to pull off a waiver deal.

Both the Dodgers and Rangers have decent, if not great talent in the minors. But I would rather get a major league ready back of the rotation arm for Arroyo, if possible.

I would love to get James McDonald from the Dodgers for Arroyo, but I doubt the Dodgers would do that straight up. I think more likely candidates are Doug Mathis from the Rangers and Eric Stults from the Dodgers.

JaxRed
08-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Well Arroyo pitched yesterday and Harang pitches today, so Arroyo won't be solving Dodgers problem and if Harang takes mound neither will he.

Like to see what Texas would give us for Arroyo.

Highlifeman21
08-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Texas can have Arroyo.

Taking him off our payroll is gift enough...

I(heart)Freel
08-09-2009, 01:43 PM
LA is in San Fran tomorrow. Someone could just stay in their room an extra night?

Brutus
08-09-2009, 04:25 PM
In related news...

The Dodgers just shipped out Scott Elbert to AAA (which may have been part of the reason the story was originated) in favor of activating Belisario.

My hunch is that they are on the verge of something, otherwise I'm not sure you make that move yet.

Joseph
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Was Arroyo claimed?

Brutus
08-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Was Arroyo claimed?

Either he was claimed or not claimed, meaning he was then available to be traded for.

cincrazy
08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
If the Rangers are the ones to take Arroyo, I can't see how money wouldn't be involved. Tom Hicks is incredibly strapped financially and the Rangers have taken out millions of dollars in loans from MLB, so I can't imagine them being in position to trade for Arroyo and all of his salary.

WVRedsFan
08-11-2009, 12:26 AM
After tonight, you can bet that neither Arroyo or Harang will be traded.

Spring~Fields
08-11-2009, 12:37 AM

What if those two are even worse next year? Ouch!

Brutus
08-11-2009, 12:59 AM

Why? I think tonight is more reason to trade them. Clearly this season is a lost cause. Shed some salary. Create space to make some additional moves in the offseason.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-11-2009, 01:28 AM

I'd bet that if any team is willing to take on their salaries, the Reds would deal them for a couple of movie tickets and a popcorn - a small popcorn.

Sea Ray
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Either he was claimed or not claimed, meaning he was then available to be traded for.

If he was claimed you say to that team "you just bought a pitcher and he's on the next plane to join your team...and here's his contract which you'll now take over."

Brutus
08-11-2009, 07:44 PM
If he was claimed you say to that team "you just bought a pitcher and he's on the next plane to join your team...and here's his contract which you'll now take over."

I'm not sure I give away Harang, though. I am not holding on to 2006 as if he's still the consistently productive pitcher he once was. I'm just not sure I let him go for absolutely nothing. Maybe if the market for him is truly that slim, what you describe is the best. But I'm reluctant to completely give him up at no cost, though I'd love to move that salary.

Now Arroyo is a different story. I'd let him go just for the salary relief.

blumj
08-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's already been reported that they both cleared, right?

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm not sure I give away Harang, though. I am not holding on to 2006 as if he's still the consistently productive pitcher he once was. I'm just not sure I let him go for absolutely nothing. Maybe if the market for him is truly that slim, what you describe is the best. But I'm reluctant to completely give him up at no cost, though I'd love to move that salary.

Now Arroyo is a different story. I'd let him go just for the salary relief.

I agree. I was referring to Arroyo

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm pretty sure it's already been reported that they both cleared, right?

There's really no news here. I'm sure the Reds knew they'd clear. The only reason to move them before the deadline was if some player they were trying to acquire would not clear

My guess is Cordero would clear as well

Brutus
08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I agree. I was referring to Arroyo

Oh OK. Well then, yep. No doubt I agree there.