PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox claimed Christian Guzman

blumj
08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/08/sox_eye_nats_sh.html

Don't know if they were awarded the claim, or if any other teams claimed him. He's under contract for $8M next year.

Highlifeman21
08-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Is he better than Lugo?

They kicked Lugo to the curb, and have trotted out the likes of Jed Lowrie and Nick Green to play SS.

They probably wish they still had Orlando Cabrera right about now...

blumj
08-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Is he better than Lugo?

They kicked Lugo to the curb, and have trotted out the likes of Jed Lowrie and Nick Green to play SS.

They probably wish they still had Orlando Cabrera right about now...

I wish I could put together a lowlight video for you of Lugo's SS play for the Red Sox over the last 2 seasons. Good for the Cards if they managed to fix him somehow, but there's no way anyone could ever convince me to want him back. Cabrera isn't anywhere near what he used to be, but they did make an attempt to trade for him. And I'd easily take a healthy Lowrie over all of them, but, unfortunately, there appears to be no such thing as a healthy Lowrie.

mth123
08-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Maybe they'd take Gonzalez.

Nah, who would bat 2nd for the Reds?

redsfan4445
08-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Nah, who would bat 2nd for the Reds?

I was hoping the same thing, but they already had him and KNOW he isnt a hustling ShortStop and plays lazy..oh well glad we dont have him back in 2010!!

nate
08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
I was hoping the same thing, but they already had him and KNOW he isnt a hustling ShortStop and plays lazy..oh well glad we dont have him back in 2010!!

Ridiculous.

blumj
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM

He'd probably just wind up fighting with Lowrie over who gets to play SS for the Pawsox during rehab assignments.

mth123
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
He'd probably just wind up fighting with Lowrie over who gets to play SS for the Pawsox during rehab assignments.

Fine by me. As long as he's off the roster and off the payroll, I don't care what he does.

GAC
08-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Shows just how difficult it is to find that quality SS. Ain't an easy task any more.

PuffyPig
08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Is he better than Lugo?

He can field, something Lugo can't do.

buckeyenut
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I saw this and was thinking the same thing, offer them Gonzalez for PTBNL (nothing if he sucks, C or D prospect if he is average for them). They pay him the 2M for rest of this year and buyout for next year. We get off the hook on the cash. Gonzo has been solid defensive SS for us. Offensively, he has been putrid but hurt. He should turn that around and be OK now that he is healthy.

I would even split the money for this year with them, just so we can open up a spot for Phillips to start working out at SS and don't have to pay buyout next year.

Benihana
08-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I saw this and was thinking the same thing, offer them Gonzalez for PTBNL (nothing if he sucks, C or D prospect if he is average for them). They pay him the 2M for rest of this year and buyout for next year. We get off the hook on the cash. Gonzo has been solid defensive SS for us. Offensively, he has been putrid but hurt. He should turn that around and be OK now that he is healthy.

I would even split the money for this year with them, just so we can open up a spot for Phillips to start working out at SS and don't have to pay buyout next year.

I like that plan.

flyer85
08-10-2009, 01:37 PM
I can't imagine that the Sox think that Gonzo could actually help them.

Benihana
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I can't imagine that the Sox think that Gonzo could actually help them.

Well they are getting more and more desperate by the day, especially after this weekend.

flyer85
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Well they are getting more and more desperate by the day, especially after this weekend.
which doesn't have anything to do with deciding if Gonzo could actually help. Nick Green may not be great but he's better than Gonzo.

Tom Servo
08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
FWIW, Buster Olney says Guzman actually cleared waivers and can be traded to any team.

redsfan4445
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
well the Red Sox DID NOT claim him

Cristian Guzman Clears Waivers
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 10 at 1:08pm CST]
Cristian Guzman cleared waivers and can now be traded to any club, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney. The 31-year-old shortstop is hitting .317/.337/.437 , but the $8MM salary he makes this year and next seems to have prevented teams from claiming Guzman.

flyer85
08-10-2009, 02:31 PM
the issue with the Sox do they have the balls to bench Ortiz(.295 OPS in August) for good. If they were smart they would have traded for Dunn and made him the DH.

blumj
08-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Sorry. The Boston Globe made a liar out of me.

Raisor
08-10-2009, 03:48 PM
If they were smart they would have traded for Dunn and made him the DH.

I still think this happens eventually. Dunn was built to play for the Redsox.

bucksfan2
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Don't quite understand this logic. The Sox are struggling offensively not defensively. Any help Gonzo would give them would be on the defensive side of the ball, something they don't need.

blumj
08-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Well, they claimed Chris Woodward so they could PH for Nick Green and still have someone to come in and play the position, so maybe they'd prefer a better defensive SS for that role, but I doubt it's something they'd spend much on.

redsfan4445
08-10-2009, 04:23 PM
hope the Reds offer Gonzo next!!