PDA

View Full Version : Weathers traded

Brandon4MVP
08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Weathers traded to brewers for player to be named later

steig
08-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Why would we trade within the division for a player to be named later? This better be a good player to be named because it just seems stupid to trade with the brewers.

Road Pop
08-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Nice of the Reds to keep him in the Central :confused:

Wonder who the return will be.

Knightro28
08-09-2009, 04:28 PM
A weathers and coffey combo over there. Interesting

vottofan4life
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Haha yes i have been wishing for a weather's trade for 3 years and i finally got it. i dont even care its to the brewers. could it be for rickie weeks since he is on the 60 day dl and he would have to be a ptbl.idk but today is one of the greatest days in reds history trading weathers over to brew crew to be with his other 300 pound buddy coffey.i hate those 2

egriff
08-09-2009, 04:35 PM
It's probably going to be for a A player.

captainmorgan07
08-09-2009, 04:38 PM
I'll pay for his plane ticket if the reds would like me to.

Hondo
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
It's probably going to be for a A player.

Congrats on your 1st Post...

Too bad it had to be for this little trade...

When is Walt going to be making some significant Moves? I know I know, Rolen is a player, but hes 35...

I mean, where is our Grady Sizemore? The Lone Indian...

batsfan
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
So who do the reds bring up? Ramon Ramirez? Jeff Kennard?

FlyerFanatic
08-09-2009, 04:43 PM
So who do the reds bring up? Ramon Ramirez? Jeff Kennard?

roenicke....oh wait...

batsfan
08-09-2009, 04:49 PM
roenicke....oh wait...

Actually, now that i think about it, they take burton of the dl, and demote wells to bring up owings off the dl, and lehr can stay up in the bullpen.

markymark69
08-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Why would we trade within the division for a player to be named later? This better be a good player to be named because it just seems stupid to trade with the brewers.

It was a waiver claim. Besides, if he was as terrible as everyone on this board said. You should be glad. Personally, you look at his numbers and they were pretty decent for what he was paid.

The two favorite whipping boys for 2009 are now gone, EE and Weathers. What will you all do? I guess you have still have Dusty to kick around.

Hondo
08-09-2009, 04:54 PM
It was a waiver claim. Besides, if he was as terrible as everyone on this board said. You should be glad. Personally, you look at his numbers and they were pretty decent for what he was paid.

The two favorite whipping boys for 2009 are now gone, EE and Weathers. What will you all do? I guess you have still have Dusty to kick around.

Can Walt put Dusty on Waivers?

;)

redsinraleigh
08-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Can Walt put Dusty on Waivers?

;)

Who would claim him??

Jack Burton
08-09-2009, 05:03 PM
Good riddance. This is spectacular news.

ILoveWilly
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Useless trade. Veteran middle relievers seem to be expendable nowadays, even if they have good numbers, I think they're the most underrated position in baseball. This is a salary dump move and nothing else. Wonder if Rhodes is next?

vottofan4life
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
Rickie Weeks

ILoveWilly
08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
I feel bad for him, he sounds a little disappointed he's been traded. excited he's with a team who has a little bit of a shot to make the playoffs, but it seems like his family was well entrenched in Cincy and wanted to end his career here.

mac624
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
their AAA SS Esocbar!

schmidty622
08-09-2009, 05:57 PM
Congrats on your 1st Post...

I mean, where is our Grady Sizemore? The Lone Indian...

And cleveland would trade him... Why?

CincyFalcon
08-09-2009, 06:00 PM
Haha yes i have been wishing for a weather's trade for 3 years and i finally got it. i dont even care its to the brewers. could it be for rickie weeks since he is on the 60 day dl and he would have to be a ptbl.idk but today is one of the greatest days in reds history trading weathers over to brew crew to be with his other 300 pound buddy coffey.i hate those 2

Only in the Sun Deck...."Greatest days in Reds history???" A trade of a consistent mid 3 ERA middle reliever ranks among the greatest days???

Best of luck to "Stormy", a good guy and solid player over the years, would love to see him get a chance in the playoffs this year....

JayBruce
08-09-2009, 06:01 PM

Because the Reds want him. Duh.

Wily Tavares and cash should get it done.

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Dave Weathers did a fine job for us, did everything that was asked of him and was always good to the fans, even though the fans were not always good to him - as evidenced by the posts of some in this thread. He'll be missed but I sure hope he gets a shot at a playoff run.

BOL, Stormy.

Joeyjection19
08-09-2009, 06:19 PM
I'll always remember his 5 pitch inning from last summer- single, single, single to load the bases, then pop out-double play to end it. He might have put up decent numbers, but every time he took the mound, my nerves were shot.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Congrates to David Wells, traded to a possible playoff team.

Reds could get a pretty good player in return. It has always been my understanding that the PTBNL is based on the performance of the player traded. The better the player performs, the better the player they get in return.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll always remember his 5 pitch inning from last summer- single, single, single to load the bases, then pop out-double play to end it. He might have put up decent numbers, but every time he took the mound, my nerves were shot.

There is a reason people call him stormy. ;)

tsj017
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
In protest, Barry Larkin tried to rip the C off his uniform.

When that failed, he called Jim Bowden to protest.

FAIL.

TheBigLebowski
08-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Congrates to David Wells, traded to a possible playoff team.

Reds could get a pretty good player in return. It has always been my understanding that the PTBNL is based on the performance of the player traded. The better the player performs, the better the player they get in return.

That guy is like a cockroach you just can't kill. Where did he end up now?

malcontent
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Glad to hear this as I considered Jocketty's decision to offer him arb this winter (considering the financial parameters of this team) as a firing-worthy offense.

Anyone know if the Reds received any return from Milwaukee on the 1998 Weathers waiver claim?

Blood Red Path
08-09-2009, 07:27 PM
The two favorite whipping boys for 2009 are now gone

You mean we got rid of Walt and Wily??

Hondo
08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Sabethia, Lee, DeRosa, Blake, Pavano, Martinez....

Oh, I dunno...

schmidty622
08-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Sabethia, Lee, DeRosa, Blake, Pavano, Martinez....

Oh, I dunno...

What do those players situations have to do with Sizemore's?

I guess another team could look at the Reds and say "Hamilton, Dunn, Griffey, Encarnation, Weathers... Votto?"

GIDP
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm kinda worrying about our bullpen next year. 3 relievers and one top prospect who could relieve next year all traded this year.

This puts a lot of pressure on Burton to return to form and Masset to stay good.

ukwazoo
08-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Eh, would have liked to see them hang on to Weathers. He's pretty solid. But coupling that with the other three moves we made at the deadline, it's fine.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm kinda worrying about our bullpen next year. 3 relievers and one top prospect who could relieve next year all traded this year.

This puts a lot of pressure on Burton to return to form and Masset to stay good.

I think emergence of Massat this season is what really made this trade possible. For a guy that started spring training as a possible number 5 starter and having a horrible spring that forced his move to the bullpen, he has been a pretty good surprise.

GIDP
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I think emergence of Massat this season is what really made this trade possible. For a guy that started spring training as a possible number 5 starter and having a horrible spring that forced his move to the bullpen, he has been a pretty good surprise.

Maybe but it really makes trading Cordero hard to deal with now. We are gutting one of out strengths right now. I'm not sure I like it especially when they act as if they want to compete next year.

NastyBoy
08-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Maybe but it really makes trading Cordero hard to deal with now. We are gutting one of out strengths right now. I'm not sure I like it especially when they act as if they want to compete next year.

Well any deal with Cordero was going to a hard one to begin with because of his contract... plus the fact they do not really have an heir apparent to take his place. Last season I thought it my be Burton. This season, I thought it might be Massat. I think that the only way Cordero get dealt this season is if one of the contending teams has a closer go down with an injury and it would have to be one of one of the big market teams with money to burn. I think the remainder of the season will be a tryout for Massat and Burton to see where they fit in the back end of the bullpen. I think both of these guys have the stuff to be effective closers, it is a matter of constistency that Burton has to deal with. With Massat, it is a matter of experience, but I think the remainder of the season will tell what we need to know about him.

GIDP
08-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I didnt mean trading him to drop the contract. I meant it like they are getting rid of guys and every guy they drop means its less likely they could afford to trade Cordero when it comes to actually fielding a bullpen good enough to win you 90 games. If they want to compete next year they are going to need more than Masset Rhodes and Cordero

Burton is going to have to return to form, Masset is going to have to be the same, and Lincoln is going to have to some how magically pitch better. Its thin right now when you look down at the pen.

BurgervilleBuck
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
...but every time he took the mound, my nerves were shot.
Mine too. I remember when he came in to close Homer Bailey's first game. A two-run lead quickly became a one-run lead but he managed to get the save. Thrilling times when he would come in but you can't deny he had passion.

Good luck, Stormy. It's a shame to lose that veteran's presence in the club house.

bgwilly31
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Another wonderful trade for the reds.

What a move....:thumbdown were going to be awsome next year. Im beginning to to get Very frustraded.

BakoTheTako
08-09-2009, 10:40 PM

Um no that's ridiculous

Kradokk
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Crazy to hear. I saw him today, right about 12:20 he was warming up with Kip Wells. He tossed a ball to a kid, said that the coach had asked to see him, and ran off.:eek:

Also, ran into some guys in Massett shirts today. Turns out it was some family of Nicks, and nice folks. I was cheering hard for him today and it was great to see him get Harang out of that jam in the 8th. :beerme:

Stormy Weathers
08-10-2009, 12:00 AM

Yes a guy who puts up good numbers every single year is gone what a good thing to root for! I am guessing you are new to baseball?

BigPoppa
08-10-2009, 01:03 AM

Me too. He could and would turn an appearance into a nailbiter. :yikes:

Anyway, seemed like a good guy, (originally from just down the road from me), fan-friendly from what I've read and I wish him well. I will say that I'm glad it was Weathers instead of Rhodes.

BigPoppa
08-10-2009, 01:11 AM
David Weathers' reaction to the trade
(emphasis added)

"Initially, [I was] excited to go to a team that really has a good shot to get back into the playoffs, to get back into that atmosphere," Weathers said. "A team I've already played for. I really enjoyed Milwaukee. I'm excited about going there -- big time."

Dusty rubbed off on him, dude.

NastyBoy
08-10-2009, 03:58 AM
I didnt mean trading him to drop the contract. I meant it like they are getting rid of guys and every guy they drop means its less likely they could afford to trade Cordero when it comes to actually fielding a bullpen good enough to win you 90 games. If they want to compete next year they are going to need more than Masset Rhodes and Cordero

Burton is going to have to return to form, Masset is going to have to be the same, and Lincoln is going to have to some how magically pitch better. Its thin right now when you look down at the pen.

Okay I now see your point. In my mind the Reds still have one of the best closers in baseball under contract for next season. I would be perfectly content to have him as our closer for next season. But if the Reds front office is moving towards a lean mean and young team then it may be time to cut the fat and give the young guys a chance. I really am not a huge fan of he Weathers trade. The Reds gave up a proven veteran for a PTBNL. Lets hope that player fills a void on next years team.

Ghosts of 1990
08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the service, Stormy. One of the game's good guys.

Z-Fly
08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't the Reds have got a draft pick in return after the season anyways? Or would they had to offer Arbitration to him?

redlegs2370
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM
David Weathers was nothing but class. A player who didn't make excuses when he didn't get the job done and at the same time was very humble when he had success. He showed a lot of passion and pride wearing a Reds jersey.

I can see him staying in the game as a bullpen pitching coach, when his playing days are finally over.

Slyder
08-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Wouldn't the Reds have got a draft pick in return after the season anyways? Or would they had to offer Arbitration to him?

They did that last year hoping for such return... Then Stormy threw a monkey wrench in the deal by accepting Arbitration.

Jack Burton
08-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Thanks for letting all those inherited runners score Stormy, don't let the door hit ya....

TippyDrunks
10-07-2009, 01:54 AM
When do we find out the name of PTNL from this Weathers trade?

Revering4Blue
10-23-2009, 06:31 PM
When do we find out the name of PTNL from this Weathers trade?

We already have. It's a familiar name to Redzoners....Pile 'O Cash.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/brewers-reds-complete-david-weathers-trade.html

texasdave
10-23-2009, 07:10 PM
We already have. It's a familiar name to Redzoners....Pile 'O Cash.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/10/brewers-reds-complete-david-weathers-trade.html

And all this time I was pretty sure we were gonna get that journeyman Danny Dollars. Or maybe that hot shot prospect M.T. Promise.