PDA

View Full Version : Bengals cut Watson, Shirley moved to OL

Eric_the_Red
08-10-2009, 01:36 PM
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/watson-cut-shirley-moves-to-guard/728c77eb-0726-4ff2-9c50-fd9d7eaff78c

Wonder if Brian Leonard can step up as the #2 RB?

Moving Shirley to OL reeks of desperation. Poor Carson.

KoryMac5
08-10-2009, 01:54 PM
You here of guys moving from the D line to the O line from time to time in college. Haven't heard of anyone trying it in the pros, but leave it to the Bengals. I would imagine they see some potential in him as well as size. 6ft 5 340lbs is pretty good size for a guard these days.

Not surprised to see Watson cut, Leonard has had a good camp. Keep an eye on Jerome Simpson I have a feeling the Bengals might cut him next in favor of Purity.

Hoosier Red
08-10-2009, 01:55 PM
I think it's more needing some bodies for the O-line right now with three back up guards being injured.
For Shirley it's a way to stay in camp.

chicoruiz
08-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Looks like best-case scenario for Shirley would be practice squad- no way he'd be ready to contribute as an O-lineman in a month.

Redhook
08-10-2009, 08:57 PM
The Bengals epitomize cheapness. Saving money by moving players across the line. Well-played Mike Brown. Well-played.

GIDP
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Sounds interesting. Shirley is so big it would be a shame not to at least try him at OL.

Hoosier Red
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
I seem to remember the Bengals cutting someone who went to the Browns and they successfully did this but maybe in reverse(OL to DL.)

Do any of the Brownie fans remember who this was? I want to say Dahl or Bahl or something like that.

WMR
08-11-2009, 01:13 AM
You here of guys moving from the D line to the O line from time to time in college. Haven't heard of anyone trying it in the pros, but leave it to the Bengals. I would imagine they see some potential in him as well as size. 6ft 5 340lbs is pretty good size for a guard these days.

Not surprised to see Watson cut, Leonard has had a good camp. Keep an eye on Jerome Simpson I have a feeling the Bengals might cut him next in favor of Purity.

Jerome Simpson. LOL, beautiful draft decision there. :laugh:

RichRed
08-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I would just like to chime in and say that Jerome Simpson made one of the most unbelieveable diving catches I've ever seen to help Coastal Carolina upset my alma mater, James Madison, in '05. Thus, I hate him like poison and he and the Bengals deserve each other (sorry, Bengals fans).

Carry on.

Signed,
Not At All Bitter

forfreelin04
08-12-2009, 02:18 AM
I would just like to chime in and say that Jerome Simpson made one of the most unbelieveable diving catches I've ever seen to help Coastal Carolina upset my alma mater, James Madison, in '05. Thus, I hate him like poison and he and the Bengals deserve each other (sorry, Bengals fans).

Carry on.

Signed,
Not At All Bitter

Not At All Bitter,

He was a horrible second round pick. He will be lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team.

That catch will probably be his shining moment in football.

Luv,
ForFreelin

Screwball
08-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Not At All Bitter,

He was a horrible second round pick. He will be lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team.

That catch will probably be his shining moment in football.

Luv,
ForFreelin

Agreed he wasn't a good 2nd round pick, but I don't know about "lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team." Personally, I think he's a solid 5th, behind Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. And really, there's no shame being a 2nd-year receiver behind those 4.

As for Shirley, I don't really see this as desperation. He actually played some OL last year on the PS and looked pretty good doing it, at least that's what Thornton has to say:

He was going to have a hard time making the team as a DT this year. He helped out on OL during practice last year and looked GOOD. It may work

When somebody is that freakishly large and mobile (his short shuttle times were on par with running backs), I think it makes sense you give him extra looks at different positions to keep him on the roster if he wouldn't make it otherwise. And besides, he's 3rd string LG. It's not like he's starting out there.

forfreelin04
08-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Agreed he wasn't a good 2nd round pick, but I don't know about "lucky to be the 6th best receiver on the team." Personally, I think he's a solid 5th, behind Chad, Coles, Henry, and Caldwell. And really, there's no shame being a 2nd-year receiver behind those 4.

You forgot about Chatman. Carson has man love for him even though they rarely connect on the field. I know we have Coles, but I'm not a fan of real tiny receivers.

Screwball
08-12-2009, 02:34 AM
You forgot about Chatman.

Didn't forget about him. I have him 6th, and the only way he's an asset on the team is as a PR, and an average one at that.

Screwball
08-12-2009, 04:04 AM
I seem to remember the Bengals cutting someone who went to the Browns and they successfully did this but maybe in reverse(OL to DL.)

Do any of the Brownie fans remember who this was? I want to say Dahl or Bahl or something like that.

Bob Dahl. Drafted in 1991 out of Notre Dame. He was originally a DT but couldn't quite cut it there, so he switched to Guard. He had a few pretty good years with Cleveland.

Eric_the_Red
08-12-2009, 08:45 AM
As for Shirley, I don't really see this as desperation. He actually played some OL last year on the PS and looked pretty good doing it, at least that's what Thornton has to say:

When somebody is that freakishly large and mobile (his short shuttle times were on par with running backs), I think it makes sense you give him extra looks at different positions to keep him on the roster if he wouldn't make it otherwise. And besides, he's 3rd string LG. It's not like he's starting out there.

Until he is.

DTCromer
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Good thing the Bengals took Andre Smith in the 1st round. :rolleyes:

Mike Brown is simply a genius. Bengals fans keep coming back with their money every year and the man becomes cheaper and cheaper. Don't worry, the Blackburns are right on his coat tails so don't expect much change.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Good thing the Bengals took Andre Smith in the 1st round. :rolleyes:

Mike Brown is simply a genius. Bengals fans keep coming back with their money every year and the man becomes cheaper and cheaper. Don't worry, the Blackburns are right on his coat tails so don't expect much change.

From what I've heard from some pretty reliable sources, the Blackburns actually are different.

People that know Troy pretty well know his frustration with the old guard. Problem is that until Mike steps aside, there is not much he can do about it.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 02:27 PM
At least the Bengals didn't draft this guy last year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/13/mendenhall-remains-an-enigma-in-pittsburgh/

I don't know that I'd ever draft a RB (or a WR for that matter) in the Top 10- there's just way too much risk.

Hoosier Red
08-13-2009, 02:58 PM
At least the Bengals didn't draft this guy last year:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/13/mendenhall-remains-an-enigma-in-pittsburgh/

I don't know that I'd ever draft a RB (or a WR for that matter) in the Top 10- there's just way too much risk.

I thought he was drafted like 23rd.

Benihana
08-13-2009, 04:37 PM
I thought he was drafted like 23rd.

He was, but many reports had him as a finalist for the Bengals at #8.