PDA

View Full Version : Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

HeatherC1212
10-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow. These refs REALLy want Iowa to win this game. That's now three bad calls against Indiana. I've watched two Indiana games this season and they've been absolutely screwed by the refs in both games.

I was just coming to post about that call. That was complete and total crap and Hoosier fans should be mighty honked off over the officiating today. Iowa really isn't that good of a team from what I've seen today.

And Iowa turns it over again! This is a top five team?! :eek:

Slyder
10-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow. These refs REALLy want Iowa to win this game. That's now three bad calls against Indiana. I've watched two Indiana games this season and they've been absolutely screwed by the refs in both games.

Welcome to the BcS. Happens in each conference at some point. Already happened more than once to Florida.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 02:35 PM
LOL! Another awful call goes against Indiana. The Indiana player hit the Iowa player with his shoulder, not his helmet. Instead of punting, Iowa gets a first down. How awful are these guys? This is ridiculous.

DTCromer
10-31-2009, 02:36 PM
A double lulz at the Big 10 leading the history of college football with the worst Top 5 teams in the history of the game.

jimbo
10-31-2009, 02:37 PM
LOL! Another awful call goes against Indiana. The Indiana player hit the Iowa player with his shoulder, not his helmet. Instead of punting, Iowa gets a first down. How awful are these guys? This is ridiculous.

Looked like a clear helmet to helmet based on the replay.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 02:38 PM
Looked like a clear helmet to helmet based on the replay.

From the replay I saw he hit him with his shoulder.

jimbo
A double lulz at the Big 10 leading the history of college football with the worst Top 5 teams in the history of the game.

:rolleyes:

DTCromer
:rolleyes:

This coming from a guy who thought it was a helmet-to-helmet hit.

jimbo
10-31-2009, 02:39 PM
From the replay I saw he hit him with his shoulder.

It looked that way with the first replay, but they showed another from a different angle and you can see the helmets making contact, at least I could see it. The announcers even corrected themselves.

DTCromer
10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
It looked that way with the first replay, but they showed another from a different angle and you can see the helmets making contact, at least I could see it. The announcers even corrected themselves.

Just because a helmet may have touched his helmet doesn't mean it's personal foul. He clearly led with his shoulder.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Another Hawkeye turnover.

The Hoosiers, players and coches alike, should be forced to walk back to Bloomington if they lose this game.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Auburn has awakened from their mid-season slumber, leading Ole' Miss 24-7.

dabvu2498
10-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Auburn has awakened from their mid-season slumber, leading Ole' Miss 24-7. They are completely bipolar.

joshnky
10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Another Hawkeye turnover.

The Hoosiers, players and coches alike, should be forced to walk back to Bloomington if they lose this game.

How do you throw five interceptions in three quarters of football? And this is a QB on a supposed top five team.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
93 yard TD pass makes it 24-21 Indiana with 13 minutes remaining. Indiana is going to lose despite being +5 in turnovers today. It's hard to win with stupid playcalling (2nd and goal at 2 yard line and you pass the ball twice?) plus horrible officiating against you.

Chip R
10-31-2009, 02:49 PM
Stanzi actually completed a pass to a guy in black and gold and Iowa is now only down by 3.

DTCromer
10-31-2009, 02:52 PM
No matter what happens. The voters should treat this game as a loss to Iowa.

Even in a down year in college football, this may be the worst Top 5 team in the history of the game. Heck, worst 8-0 team ever.

Chip R
10-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Another TD pass by Stanzi puts the Hawkeyes on top. Crazy.

DTCromer
10-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Good lord.

This is an embarrassment to college football. Both of these teams.

jimbo
10-31-2009, 02:56 PM
Just because a helmet may have touched his helmet doesn't mean it's personal foul. He clearly led with his shoulder.

Not saying I agree with it or not, just that it was consistent to how they are calling any kind of helmet-to-helmet contact these days.

HeatherC1212
10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
They may be winning now but I am not impressed with Iowa at all. They've played like crap for most of this game (a few good plays does not fix all the mistakes and problems they've had overall) and against any other team, they're down by like three TDs right now. Ridiculous. :eek:

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 02:57 PM
TD Iowa. Game over. Congrats to Indiana, not everyone can force six turnovers and still lose. Wow.

Iowa is average at best. They beat Northern Iowa by one point at home. Northern Iowa had two field goals blocked in the last five seconds. Iowa barely beat Arkansas State 24-21 at home. They barely beat Michigan State in the final seconds of that game and now they barely survive a below averege Indiana team. It will be an absolute joke if Iowa plays in the NC.

DTCromer
10-31-2009, 02:59 PM
They may be winning now but I am not impressed with Iowa at all. They've played like crap for most of this game (a few good plays does not fix all the mistakes and problems they've had overall) and against any other team, they're down by like three TDs right now. Ridiculous. :eek:

Even their good plays were average. They play action roll out a 6 yard pass to a receiver who then promptly runs 90 yards pretty much unmolested.

Then their last TD was a simple corner route and the Indiana DB's blew coverage AND had awful angles for the tackler.

Chip R
10-31-2009, 03:05 PM
A rushing TD for Iowa probably just sealed the deal.

Revering4Blue
10-31-2009, 03:07 PM
"This is embarasskin"-Popeye

guttle11
10-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I don't know. I think outscoring a conference opponent 35-3 in the second half is pretty impressive.

dabvu2498
10-31-2009, 03:35 PM
Black helmets and no silver britches for UGa! Sinful! Those black pants going to guard anybody?

traderumor
10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Watched a good bit of the Iowa game, those are two not very good teams. I think the wind played a bigger role than anything as neither team could do anything going into it, and passes sailed into INTs.

Of course, IU got the shaft on the TD (foot dragged, then knee hit, not conclusive evidence from the replay) and the unnecessary roughness call, but then their collapse reminded me of the Shula/LeBeau/Coslet Bengals--couldn't win even though the other team handed them the game, so the other team just took the game back.

I hope that Iowa comes into the Shoe undefeated. I think that even in a down year, that Iowa team will give the Bucks a chance to get a high profile win in this season.

dabvu2498
10-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Tebow breaks H. Walker's SEC td record against UGa. Also broke Matt Jones' SEC record for rushing yards bo a qb. The UF offense looks a bit more healthy against these Dawgs.

Unassisted
10-31-2009, 05:43 PM
I was at a game watch party, since the Buckeyes game wasn't available on my cable. I was wishing I had been able to switch to the Iowa/Indiana game for the second half. The Big Ten Network does OK with covering games, but they don't do a very good job of keeping viewers posted on what's happening in other games. I guess we're spoiled by ESPN's endless updates and score ticker.

SandyD
10-31-2009, 06:00 PM
Both spoiled and distracted. I was watching Ole Miss/Auburn with my dad earlier, and flipping back and forth to the Indiana/Iowa game. Sometimes we weren't sure which game we were actually watching, and if the play was a live play or a replay.

HeatherC1212
10-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Did anyone see that Michigan-Illinois game coming? I totally expected Michigan to win that one but they're getting creamed by Illinois right now. Wow. :eek:

Chip R
10-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Did anyone see that Michigan-Illinois game coming? I totally expected Michigan to win that one but they're getting creamed by Illinois right now. Wow. :eek:

That's good news for UC.

paintmered
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
That's good news for UC.

And possibly bad news since that can't be good for Rich Rod.

KronoRed
10-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Black helmets and no silver britches for UGa! Sinful! Those black pants going to guard anybody?

Shame the Gators didn't break out the Orange to go along with the Black :D

SandyD
10-31-2009, 10:10 PM
Don't recognize the Vols in black.

and vandy in gold and ga tech in white is confusing

LoganBuck
10-31-2009, 10:31 PM
That's good news for UC.

Illinois was not supposed to be that dreadful coming into the season. They have NFL talent sprinkled around that team, that has been playing like crap. They could be a trap game for UC. I would not overlook them. If Juice Williams gets going, they can be tough.

paintmered
10-31-2009, 10:53 PM
Oregon continues to expose SC. 41-20 now.

HeatherC1212
10-31-2009, 11:07 PM
Some of the officiating today has been very wonky. I feel like every other play has been reviewed in most of the games today. :eek:

Oregon is playing an awesome game and I hope they can keep it up for the rest of the fourth quarter. I'm glad that call about the runner being down wasn't ruled a fumble and USC TD because the Oregon guy was laying almost all the way down before the ball popped out of his hands. :eek:

kaldaniels
10-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Am I the only one noticing a lack or marquee games this year.

Also, who in the heck deserves the Heisman?

RBA
10-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Oregon continues to expose SC. 41-20 now.

And the BCS.

HeatherC1212
10-31-2009, 11:39 PM
USC officially loses to Oregon. Final score: 47-20 :eek:

Mad props to Oregon for playing a great overall game tonight. :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
11-01-2009, 12:16 AM
I had a feeling Oregon was going to win...but I didn't expect a total blowout. Oregon's offense is very impressive, and their defense is pretty good too. Jeremiah Masoli has really surprised me. He was awful early in the season but he's turned into a very good QB in the last five or six games. This Oregon team reminds me of the 2007 Ducks before Dennis Dixon got injured. I think if they played today, Oregon would beat Boise State.

My top 5:

Florida, Texas, Alabama, Cincinnati, and Oregon.

reds44
11-01-2009, 12:23 AM
How can you possibly have Oregon ahead of Boise? It really doesn't matter what people "think" they played, and Boise won.

redsfandan
11-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Anyone think LSU could upset Alabama next week?

kaldaniels
11-01-2009, 12:37 AM

Nah.

LoganBuck
11-01-2009, 05:44 AM

Yes

cincrazy
11-01-2009, 09:54 AM
How can you possibly have Oregon ahead of Boise? It really doesn't matter what people "think" they played, and Boise won.

If they were to meet right now, I think Oregon would kill them.

However, I think I'd HAVE to put Boise ahead of Oregon if I were filling out a ballot. Teams like Boise are bashed for their conference schedule and told to schedule an out of conference power, and when they do, and when they beat them, how can you possibly penalize them?

MWM
11-01-2009, 10:28 AM
I wonder how many times folks have actually watched Boise play? Not trying to criticize anyone here, but I often hear about how they couldn't play with teams in certain situations, but when i proble about how often they've watched them, it's almost always 0. They aren't on TV very often at all, yet I think some dismiss their chances based on name alone. They assume that because they're Boise State, they can't possibly be legit. They played two months ago and Boise won. Maybe it would be different now, but to assume they'd get killed just doesn't add up to me. Would Oregon win? Perhaps. But I don't think it's obvious and I don't think it would be lopsided. They're better than people think.

KoryMac5
11-01-2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder how many times folks have actually watched Boise play? Not trying to criticize anyone here, but I often hear about how they couldn't play with teams in certain situations, but when i proble about how often they've watched them, it's almost always 0. They aren't on TV very often at all, yet I think some dismiss their chances based on name alone. They assume that because they're Boise State, they can't possibly be legit. They played two months ago and Boise won. Maybe it would be different now, but to assume they'd get killed just doesn't add up to me. Would Oregon win? Perhaps. But I don't think it's obvious and I don't think it would be lopsided. They're better than people think.

I have only been able to see them once or twice here and there, I think a lot of folks get caught up in that feel good underdog story. But when you take the time to peel back the layers they are a pretty good football team with heart and talent. The coaching staff does a great job getting them ready to play every week and the kids exucute the gameplan flawlessly. If I was a kid spurned by some of the bigger conferences I would definitely want to play for Boise St.

I do think that they will be conference shopping here in the next year or two so they can improve there BCS chances. Looks more and more like they will join the Mountain West Conference.

Boston Red
11-01-2009, 10:45 AM
Oregon will definitely move ahead of Boise this week, which will officially start the 2009 BCS madness.

KoryMac5
11-01-2009, 10:48 AM
Oregon will definitely move ahead of Boise this week, which will officially start the 2009 BCS madness.

The debates will start again this week and folks on both sides will be outraged. Sports Talk radio will be fired up, Congress will want to get involved and at the end of the day the BCS will remain the same.

I would love to see a playoff seeding system 1-8 but I think we are still 5-10 yrs away.

Boston Red
11-01-2009, 11:00 AM
Who are Idaho's senators? They may be looking to form a committee with the Utah guys tomorrow.

OnBaseMachine
11-01-2009, 11:37 AM
FWIW, I'm far from a Boise State hater. I like Boise and really enjoy watching them play when they are on TV (rarely). I think they are a legit top five or top seven team. After thinking about it more, I probably would have to put Boise in my top five with Oregon maybe one spot behind them. I really like the way Oregon is playing right now.

Boston Red
11-01-2009, 11:43 AM
Kind of interesting that two of Oregon's three close games were the loss at Boise and the three point home win over Utah.

guttle11
11-01-2009, 12:02 PM

And yet, even taking that into account, Oregon has done more on the field than Boise. I would put Oregon over Boise and not think twice. It's a 12 game season. Yeah, the BCS is a truly ridiculous system, but it's the system used. Oregon has done more to deserve a high ranking in the system.

OnBaseMachine
11-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Terry Bradshaw just blasted the officiating crew from the Iowa/Indiana game on the NFL postgame show just now. Kudos to him. He said the same thing I said - that must have been Iowa's own referees/replay crew. There was some blatant cheating going on in that game yesterday. It had to be cheating because there's no way a crew can be THAT bad can they?

LoganBuck
11-01-2009, 09:15 PM
Terry Bradshaw just blasted the officiating crew from the Iowa/Indiana game on the NFL postgame show just now. Kudos to him. He said the same thing I said - that must have been Iowa's own referees/replay crew. There was some blatant cheating going on in that game yesterday. It had to be cheating because there's no way a crew can be THAT bad can they?

http://www.zoogstercostumes.com/images/products/pe820163.jpg

DTCromer
11-02-2009, 09:00 AM

They should. If they play again, on a neutral field, Oregon easily wins. Oregon is #1 team in my eyes right now playing, by far, the best ball in the country. They're not just winning. . . they're CRUSHING teams.

Also, the best coaching job this year goes to Lane Kiffin. I know it's Tennessee, but that team was left for dead after Fullmer left. What he's done with that offense and Crompton is amazing. Monte Kiffin may be one of the best DC's ever. The guy knows his defense.

cincrazy
11-02-2009, 02:15 PM
They should. If they play again, on a neutral field, Oregon easily wins. Oregon is #1 team in my eyes right now playing, by far, the best ball in the country. They're not just winning. . . they're CRUSHING teams.

Also, the best coaching job this year goes to Lane Kiffin. I know it's Tennessee, but that team was left for dead after Fullmer left. What he's done with that offense and Crompton is amazing. Monte Kiffin may be one of the best DC's ever. The guy knows his defense.

That's all well and dandy... but Boise BEAT Oregon. I think Oregon is a better team right now, too. But they played Boise, and Boise manhandled them. You can't simply just ignore it and pretend that it never happened.

BuckeyeRed27
11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Boises Schedule and Results
DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
9/03 No. 16 Oregon 1-0 (0-0) W 19-8
9/12 Miami (OH) 2-0 (0-0) W 48-0
9/18 @ Fresno State 3-0 (1-0) W 51-34
9/26 @ Bowling Green 4-0 (1-0) W 49-14
10/03 UC Davis 5-0 (1-0) W 34-16
10/14 @ Tulsa 6-0 (1-0) W 28-21
10/24 @ Hawaii 7-0 (2-0) W 54-9
10/31 San Jose State 8-0 (3-0) W 45-7
11/06 @ Louisiana Tech 8:00 PM
11/14 Idaho 3:30 PM
11/20 @ Utah State 9:30 PM
11/27 Nevada TBA
12/05 New Mexico State 3:00 PM

Oregon's Schedule and Results
2009 Schedule/Results
DATE OPPONENT W-L (CONF) RESULT
9/03 @ No. 14 Boise State 0-1 (0-0) L 19-8
9/12 Purdue 1-1 (0-0) W 38-36
9/19 No. 18 Utah 2-1 (0-0) W 31-24
9/26 No. 6 California 3-1 (1-0) W 42-3
10/03 Washington State 4-1 (2-0) W 52-6
10/10 @ UCLA 5-1 (3-0) W 24-10
10/24 @ Washington 6-1 (4-0) W 43-19
10/31 No. 5 USC 7-1 (5-0) W 47-20
11/07 @ Stanford 3:30 PM
11/14 Arizona State TBA
11/21 @ No. 18 Arizona TBA
12/03 Oregon State 9:00 PM

Other than a great win against Oregon, Boise has nothing nor will they. They also struggled with UC Davis (who I didn't know played football) and Tulsa who Oklahoma beat by a ton.

Oregon has the BSU loss, but a good with against Utah, and blowouts against Cal and USC and a couple of quality games left.

I would keep Boise above Oregon this week based on the head to head, but if they both win out I wouldn't keep them there.

Roy Tucker
11-02-2009, 03:09 PM

I watched a good portion of the Boise St./Oregon game and I remember the Oregon QB had just a miserable game and they had no ground game. The Boise St. defensive schemes contributed mightily to that. Boise St. moved the ball pretty good on offense. I remember thinking "dang, I thought Oregon was supposed to be good".

But Oregon looked awfully daggone good on Sat. though. I can't remember a Pete Carroll USC team getting completely whupped like that.

DTCromer
11-02-2009, 03:11 PM
That's all well and dandy... but Boise BEAT Oregon. I think Oregon is a better team right now, too. But they played Boise, and Boise manhandled them. You can't simply just ignore it and pretend that it never happened.

Case 1,039,089 why there needs to be a playoff.

Jim Delaney needs to get off his high horse.

DTCromer
11-02-2009, 03:12 PM
By the way, Syracuse WR Mike Williams has promptly left the program.

BuckeyeRed27
11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
But Oregon looked awfully daggone good on Sat. though. I can't remember a Pete Carroll USC team getting completely whupped like that.

That's because they never have. That was the first time since the 2001 Notre Dame game that USC lost by more than 7 points.

OnBaseMachine
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
That's also the first time since probably 2002 that I can remember the opposing team having more team speed than USC. Oregon has some great athletes. LaMichael James is an absolute stud.

guttle11
11-02-2009, 06:44 PM

I don't think anyone is ignoring anything. Boise is only in this discussion because of that win. The problem is the other 11 games that many people are willing to ignore. Those 11 carry more weight than the head to head matchup, IMO. If Oregon goes 11-1 and wins the Pac-10, that's a much better resume than a win over the Pac-10 champ and 11 weaklings.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 02:46 PM
5-4 Northwestern (only wins were against Towson, Eastern Michigan, Purdue, Miami OH, and Indiana) are beating Iowa 17-10 with 5:20 left. Of course they'll blow it but again it's just an example of how average Iowa really is.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Still 17-10 Northwestern with 2:16 remaining. Iowa has the ball with no timeouts left. Will Northwesten blow it? My guess is yes.

redhawkfish
11-07-2009, 02:55 PM
5-4 Northwestern (only wins were against Towson, Eastern Michigan, Purdue, Miami OH, and Indiana) are beating Iowa 17-10 with 5:20 left. Of course they'll blow it but again it's just an example of how average Iowa really is.

I think Iowa is over-rated also, but didn't a lot of people say the same thing about the 2002 Ohio State team who barely won several games that season against some good/others not so good teams that season.

Two minutes left and Iowa looks like toast aginst Northwestern.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 02:56 PM
Northwestern just dropped an easy interception that would have won the game.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
4th and 10 for Iowa at their own 32...

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Incomplete pass! Iowa's luck finally runs out.

dougdirt
11-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I think Iowa is over-rated also, but didn't a lot of people say the same thing about the 2002 Ohio State team who barely won several games that season against some good/others not so good teams that season.

Two minutes left and Iowa looks like toast aginst Northwestern.

OSU wasn't turning the ball over 4-6 times per game and still winning though.

WMR
11-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Ohio State is going to smack down Iowa, IMO.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 03:09 PM

I agree.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Michigan trails Purdue 38-36 with 2:10 remaining. If Michigan loses they will fall to 5-5 with games remaining at Wisconsin and vs Ohio State. Could Rich Rodriguez get fired after this season?

Edit - Michigan lost 38-36.

jimbo
11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
Michigan trails Purdue 38-36 with 2:10 remaining. If Michigan loses they will fall to 5-5 with games remaining at Wisconsin and vs Ohio State. Could Rich Rodriguez get fired after this season?

Edit - Michigan lost 38-36.

I think it's a real possibility. I realize that a coach should be given a certain time period to implement his system, but the team looks to be going backward instead of progressing. Currently 1-5 in the Big 10? Just pathetic.

Also, he didn't come to Michigan having to turn around the program, just improve upon it. Instead, it has regressed badly in just under two years.

Having said that though, I think they'll give him another year.

OnBaseMachine
11-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Oregon is having a huge letdown at Stanford after beating USC last week. We could have three top ten teams go down this weekend (Iowa, Oregon, and the loser of Alabama/LSU).

Caseyfan21
11-07-2009, 05:35 PM

I hope so. A lot will depend on their starting QB's status I think.

WMR
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I am LOVING the ND - Navy game. :D

WMR
11-07-2009, 05:37 PM
I hope so. A lot will depend on their starting QB's status I think.

Ohio State has better personnel at every position. They should handle them, IMO.

jmac
11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
I am LOVING the ND - Navy game. :D
Oh yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!
Bet those sacks just crushed Mr Holtz !

WMR
This NAVY team has been a real treat to watch today.

These boys have heart and they play HARD.

WMR
Oh yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!
Bet those sacks just crushed Mr Holtz !

One word: SWEET.

guttle11
11-07-2009, 07:28 PM

It's gonna be ugly for them, with or without Stanzi. OSU is rolling.

Redsfan320
11-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Oops, I didn't know there was a UC thread. You'll find my post there.

dabvu2498
11-07-2009, 11:51 PM
I, for one, am glad that the Claussen for Heisman talk will be dead.

OnBaseMachine
11-08-2009, 12:27 AM
You know who would be my Heisman frontrunner right now? Case Keenum of Houston. He completed 40 of 60 passes tonight for 522 yards and 3 TD passes against Tulsa. This coming after completing 44 of 54 last week for 559yards and 5 TD passes. Overall he's thrown for over 3,800 yards with 28 TD passes and a completion percentage over 70%.

Spring~Fields
11-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I was just looking at the common polls, not the BCS. My question is, how in the world if polls have any credibility, did Ohio State jump ahead of LSU who only lost to Florida and Alabama, numbers 1 and 3? They really did not get blown out by them either, at least by looking at the scores.

jimbo
11-08-2009, 04:22 PM
I was just looking at the common polls, not the BCS. My question is, how in the world if polls have any credibility, did Ohio State jump ahead of LSU who only lost to Florida and Alabama, numbers 1 and 3? They really did not get blown out by them either, at least by looking at the scores.

The poll results are just a ranking of the points received, there is no actual logic behind the end result.

GAC
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
The BCS is a joke. Last week, USC gets mauled by Oregon and drops from 5th to only 12th. They win this week to a good Arizona State team, and are back to 9th. Oregon loses this week, and IMO to a good Stanford team, and drops below USC to 13th.

LSU loses this week, and yes, to a solid Alabama team, but it's still a loss, yet jumps up a spot from #9 to #8.

And no way is Iowa, which loses to an unranked opponent, the #9 team in the nation.

This is why I say that teams like Cincinnati, Boise State, and TCU have no chance in the BCS. They do not want to see one of those teams in the NC game IMO.

dabvu2498
11-08-2009, 07:29 PM
This is why I say that teams like Cincinnati, Boise State, and TCU have no chance in the BCS. They do not want to see one of those teams in the NC game IMO.

Who is "they?"

GAC
11-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Who is "they?"

The "human element" called the coaches poll. In recent years, the BCS rankings have undergone several tweaks. And one of those is to put greater weight on the human polls.

OnBaseMachine
11-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm a USC fan but I agree that Oregon should be ahead of USC. It's also bullcrap that LSU moved up a spot after a loss.

dabvu2498
11-08-2009, 08:48 PM
The "human element" called the coaches poll. In recent years, the BCS rankings have undergone several tweaks. And one of those is to put greater weight on the human polls.

So TCU, Boise, and UC should be ranked ahead of UF, Texas and Bama?

dabvu2498
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
FWIW, the human polls may be a bit astray, but so are some of the computer polls.

Jeff Sagarin has Oregon ahead of Boise and I-AA Villanova #46 in the country, ahead of 6-4 South Carolina. And also, all the computers have LSU somewhere between 7 and 11, some with them moving up after losing to Bama.

Spring~Fields
11-08-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm a USC fan but I agree that Oregon should be ahead of USC. It's also bullcrap that LSU moved up a spot after a loss.

But LSU only lost to two legitimate top two/three teams in the country and really did not lose by much to them. To me that says they are good enough to be somewhere just below them.

Spring~Fields
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
The poll results are just a ranking of the points received, there is no actual logic behind the end result.

Oh, "no actual logic", then I can see how it can seem odd, but don't those polls feed the BCS poll somewhat?

*BaseClogger*
11-08-2009, 11:50 PM
FWIW, the human polls may be a bit astray, but so are some of the computer polls.

Jeff Sagarin has Oregon ahead of Boise and I-AA Villanova #46 in the country, ahead of 6-4 South Carolina. And also, all the computers have LSU somewhere between 7 and 11, some with them moving up after losing to Bama.

Is that that hard to believe?

paintmered
11-09-2009, 12:02 AM

Maybe the Big East found their 9th football school?

dabvu2498
11-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Is that that hard to believe? That a team that lost to New Hampshire is the 46th most accomplished team in the country? Yeah, that does strike me as hard to believe.

Slyder
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Am I a bad fan for seeing our coach (Stewart) as being no better than Nehlen post 1996?

DTCromer
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I was just reading the UC Football thread and people there are talking BCS and whatnot. Again, what really gets me is how average this year's crop of CFB teams are. Even a 2 loss 2007 LSU NC team was fairly good in a strong SEC. Florida has looked pedestrian and so has Texas. Florida has better wins than Texas. Texas playing OU with several people missing.

In my opinion, this year's best/most consistent team is Alabama. Their defense is national championship good and their offense is good enough to win.

Not to mention, this year's Heisman winner will be garbage. Look at Tebow or McCoy's stats. Those stats wouldn't even get them invited to the ceremony in most years.

In my opinion, CJ Spiller or Mark Ingram have looked the best this year. Because of hype, neither will win it, but they deserve to.

jimbo
11-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Again, what really gets me is how average this year's crop of CFB teams are.

How have you come to this conclusion? Is it based simply on margin of victories?

Personally, I think that's why a lot of fans think that this year's crop is mediocre. We have become too fixated on 40 point wins being the main variable on judging how good a team is. Maybe it's just the opposite. Maybe there are more good teams, which is creating closer games.

A win is a win, they all count the same. Margin of victory shouldn't have the impact that it does when it comes to judging teams.

DTCromer
11-09-2009, 11:05 AM
How have you come to this conclusion? Is it based simply on margin of victories?

Personally, I think that's why a lot of fans think that this year's crop is mediocre. We have become too fixated on 40 point wins being the main variable on judging how good a team is. Maybe it's just the opposite. Maybe there are more good teams, which is creating closer games.

A win is a win, they all count the same. Margin of victory shouldn't have the impact that it does when it comes to judging teams.

It's an eyeball test. I've watched more games this year than any other year. What teams out there scare you?

What games has Texas looked good in? hardly any.

Florida's best win was @ LSU which is a good win, but they've looked "so-so" in virtually ever other SEC game. They really miss Percy.

Alabama has been pretty consistent and winning ugly which how they've usually won.

I haven't seen any "great" performance by any of the top 4-5 teams thus far. Oregon may have had the greatest performance with their win vs USC, but they turn around and lose to a very underrated Stanford team.

And lack of Heisman contenders is another thing as well. I just don't see the stats Heisman winners usually put up.

jimbo
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
It's an eyeball test. I've watched more games this year than any other year. What teams out there scare you?

What games has Texas looked good in? hardly any.

Florida's best win was @ LSU which is a good win, but they've looked "so-so" in virtually ever other SEC game. They really miss Percy.

Alabama has been pretty consistent and winning ugly which how they've usually won.

I haven't seen any "great" performance by any of the top 4-5 teams thus far. Oregon may have had the greatest performance with their win vs USC, but they turn around and lose to a very underrated Stanford team.

And lack of Heisman contenders is another thing as well. I just don't see the stats Heisman winners usually put up.

What is a "great" performance to you? If Florida was winning by 30+ points every game, would you have a different viewpoint of them?

For me, I'd be much more concerned going up against a team who finds ways to win on a weekly basis, regardless of how they win. Oregon has a history of sucking fans in with their big margin victories, and then eventually laying an egg. Those big margin victories ended up meaning nothing in the end.

As I said in my previous post, the point I'm trying to make is that college football fans in general have become too fixated on using margin of victory as the main tool to evaluate teams.

Just saying a team looked "good" is way too subjective.

RichRed
11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
That a team that lost to New Hampshire is the 46th most accomplished team in the country? Yeah, that does strike me as hard to believe.

46th might be a stretch but Villanova is arguably the best I-AA team in the country this year. App State was the best I-AA team in 2007 when they beat a Michigan team that would end up 9-4 (and #21 in the final Sagarin ratings), yet they also lost to Wofford and Georgia Southern, so it's not THAT unrealistic to me.

DTCromer
11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
What is a "great" performance to you? If Florida was winning by 30+ points every game, would you have a different viewpoint of them?

For me, I'd be much more concerned going up against a team who finds ways to win on a weekly basis, regardless of how they win. Oregon has a history of sucking fans in with their big margin victories, and then eventually laying an egg. Those big margin victories ended up meaning nothing in the end.

As I said in my previous post, the point I'm trying to make is that college football fans in general have become too fixated on using margin of victory as the main tool to evaluate teams.

For me, the most feared team is Alabama. Their defense is scary good. I'm not fixated on MOV. I'm fixated on quality and I just don't see it. As for Oregon, I jsut told a friend last week that Oregon looked "scary" good, but as you said, have a history of laying eggs against lesser teams. They flat out DOMINATED USC, but as we both stated, they're a team that could lay an egg anytime.

THe quality just isn't there. Texas's schedule is incredulously badly. Florida has just looked "OK" as a #1 team. They probably deserve to be there. Alabama's offense isn't going to win them any games by itself. TCU plays a mid-major schedule. Cincinnati has been OK, but nothing to be feared about with that defense.

This has to be the most average group of Top Teams we've seen in while.

*BaseClogger*
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM

I'll go ahead and call it the "Law of 2002 Ohio State Football"...

DTCromer
11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
A guy who SHOULD be at, or close, to the top of the Heisman list.

17 Total TD's; 5 of which are returns. 1300+ receiving/rushing yards going into today's game. In a year where the Heisman candidates are weak, this guy isn't getting nearly enough pub as he should be. CROWN HIM!

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/draftdogimages/2010%20prospects/CJ-Spiller.jpg

OnBaseMachine
11-28-2009, 11:14 PM
If Toby Gerhart isn't invited to New York for the Heisman presentation then something is wrong...

He would get my vote. 1,730+ yards, 26 rushing touchdowns. Also threw for a touchdown tonight. What a great player.

dabvu2498
11-28-2009, 11:28 PM
A guy who SHOULD be at, or close, to the top of the Heisman list. 17 Total TD's; 5 of which are returns. 1300+ receiving/rushing yards going into today's game. In a year where the Heisman candidates are weak, this guy isn't getting nearly enough pub as he should be. CROWN HIM! http://www.nfldraftdog.com/draftdogimages/2010%20prospects/CJ-Spiller.jpg Not after today.

George Foster
11-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Two mediocre SEC teams, South Carolina and Georgia beat the 2 ACC teams playing for the ACC championship next week. It's a shame that they get an automatic BCS bowl...

Is the SEC really "down" this year or are the teams so good they beat up on each other during conference play?

dabvu2498
11-28-2009, 11:31 PM
By the way, love Mizzou's flat black helmets. Hate LSU's Vegas gold and the new Florida look.

Chip R
11-28-2009, 11:43 PM
By the way, love Mizzou's flat black helmets. Hate LSU's Vegas gold and the new Florida look.

What's the deal with the new unis? Is this a Nike thing?

dabvu2498
11-28-2009, 11:50 PM
What's the deal with the new unis? Is this a Nike thing? Has to be. I'm sure they will come up with something even more wicked than normal for Oregon next week.

KronoRed
11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
What's the deal with the new unis? Is this a Nike thing?

Yep, same with OSU's uniforms last week, Nike is trying to make lots of teams looks ridiculous the last few weeks.
http://www.nike.com/nikeos/p/usnikefootball/en_US/rivalries09

cincrazy
11-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Two mediocre SEC teams, South Carolina and Georgia beat the 2 ACC teams playing for the ACC championship next week. It's a shame that they get an automatic BCS bowl...

Is the SEC really "down" this year or are the teams so good they beat up on each other during conference play?

I don't know if I'd term it as being "down," but they certainly aren't as good as past years. Georgia, LSU, Arkansas, etc. are the next wave of teams after Bama and Florida, and IMO they simply aren't that good. I don't think it's a matter of them beating up on each other.

However, are they still better than most of the conferences? Certainly. But I'd rank the Pac 10 as a better conference top to bottom.

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Anybody catch the end of the USC/UCLA game Saturday? I was just about to turn it off when Neuheisel called that TO and they cut to the USC sideline where Petey was being sneaky and immediately knew that he was going to throw the bomb.

Ugly ending there. I didn't have a problem with Petey going for the TD, but I did have a problem with his reaction.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
Anybody catch the end of the USC/UCLA game Saturday? I was just about to turn it off when Neuheisel called that TO and they cut to the USC sideline where Petey was being sneaky and immediately knew that he was going to throw the bomb.

Ugly ending there. I didn't have a problem with Petey going for the TD, but I did have a problem with his reaction.

I thought it was awesome. I was hoping USC would throw a deep pass after UCLA called that timeout. Awesome stuff. That's good for a rivalry.

It's the defense's job to stop the offense. I didn't have a problem with Stanford going for a 2-point conversion when they were up 48-21 on USC late in the 4th quarter.

dabvu2498
11-30-2009, 04:43 PM
I thought it was awesome. I was hoping USC would throw a deep pass after UCLA called that timeout. Awesome stuff. That's good for a rivalry. It's the defense's job to stop the offense. I didn't have a problem with Stanford going for a 2-point conversion when they were up 48-21 on USC late in the 4th quarter. I have a problem with Petey being ticked after the Stanford game, then running it up himself 2 weeks later.

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
I thought it was awesome. I was hoping USC would throw a deep pass after UCLA called that timeout. Awesome stuff. That's good for a rivalry.

It's the defense's job to stop the offense. I didn't have a problem with Stanford going for a 2-point conversion when they were up 48-21 on USC late in the 4th quarter.

I don't have a problem with people "running up the score". But when he starts jumping around and laughing and pointing at his QB and basically acting like an idiot that's what I have a problem with.

It would have said a lot more if he would have just calmly sent the kicker out and called the next play rather than do what he did.

BRM
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I have a problem with Petey being ticked after the Stanford game, then running it up himself 2 weeks later.

That does seem a tad hypocritical.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't have a problem with a coach celebrating after his team scores. It just seems like people hate Pete Carroll for some reason and are always looking for ways to criticize him.

DTCromer
11-30-2009, 05:47 PM
That does seem a tad hypocritical.

No it's not. The only time you go for 2 is to win a game or get within a certain striking distance. Going for 2 up 30 points is obviously running up the score.

USC did the classy thing and knelt the ball. UCLA decided to call timeouts. What they're basically saying is "This game isn't over." Why wouldn't you throw it deep? Any coach with an ounce of testosterone would've done what Petey did.

And as others have said, I don't have a problem with him scoring, I do have a problem with the entire sideline shoving it in their faces prancing around and pointing and laughing. That was uncalled for.

dabvu2498
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
No it's not. The only time you go for 2 is to win a game or get within a certain striking distance. Going for 2 up 30 points is obviously running up the score. USC did the classy thing and knelt the ball. UCLA decided to call timeouts. What they're basically saying is "This game isn't over." Why wouldn't you throw it deep? Any coach with an ounce of testosterone would've done what Petey did. And as others have said, I don't have a problem with him scoring, I do have a problem with the entire sideline shoving it in their faces prancing around and pointing and laughing. That was uncalled for. A coach with much class would've taken another knee. When you score again, you're rubbing it in the other kids faces. They can't help it that their coach is a moron who took a stupid timeout. If you want to get back at the other coach, do it face to face, not via the players.

Chip R
11-30-2009, 06:42 PM
No it's not. The only time you go for 2 is to win a game or get within a certain striking distance. Going for 2 up 30 points is obviously running up the score.

I think Woody Hayes did that once against Michigan. They were up by a bunch late and they scored a TD and went for 2. Someone asked him after the game why he went for 2 and he said, "Because I couldn't go for 3."

BuckeyeRed27
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't have a problem with a coach celebrating after his team scores. It just seems like people hate Pete Carroll for some reason and are always looking for ways to criticize him.

I don't have a problem with a coach celebrating either, but there isn't another top coach that would have pulled the same childish celebration in that situation that Carroll did.

When Urban Meyer was running Georgia out of Jacksonville a couple years back for the endzone stomp you didn't see him giggling like an 8th grader after every touchdown.

You pulled a fast one on somebody. Good job. Now act like you've been there before.

OnBaseMachine
11-30-2009, 10:58 PM
A coach laughed and celebrated after a late touchdown against a hated rival. Big deal. If this were any other coach we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

BuckeyeRed27
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
A coach laughed and celebrated after a late touchdown against a hated rival. Big deal. If this were any other coach we wouldn't be talking about this right now.

Because most other coaches wouldn't have left anything to talk about.

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2009, 02:04 AM
Because most other coaches wouldn't have left anything to talk about.

Yeah, because other coaches never celebrate after a touchdown. Come on.

BuckeyeRed27
12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Yeah, because other coaches never celebrate after a touchdown. Come on.

I've already said I don't have a problem with celebrating a TD. I had a problem with the way Pete celebrated his.

Chip R
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
It looks like it's the end of an era at Florida St.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4701625

OnBaseMachine
12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
It was probably time for Bobby to retire as Florida State has stalled out in the last few years, but I'll miss Bowden. He seems like a great guy.

Chip R
12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
It was probably time for Bobby to retire as Florida State has stalled out in the last few years, but I'll miss Bowden. He seems like a great guy.

Yeah. I watched some of the Miami/FSU game earlier this season and the announcers barely mentioned Bowden at all. It was Jimbo Fisher this and Mickey Andrews that and barely a word about Bowden.

LoganBuck
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
You could make the argument that Florida's recent mega success is a direct result of Miami and Florida State both being in down cycles.

It was time for Bowden to go, but I am sure going to miss him.

15fan
12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
It was past time for Bowden to go. He should've stepped aside 5 years ago.

Chip R
12-02-2009, 12:19 AM
It was past time for Bowden to go. He should've stepped aside 5 years ago.

Yeah. I think he was just hanging on to play Chicken with JoePa.

DTCromer
12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
A coach with much class would've taken another knee. When you score again, you're rubbing it in the other kids faces. They can't help it that their coach is a moron who took a stupid timeout. If you want to get back at the other coach, do it face to face, not via the players.

Well then tell UCLA to stop calling TO's. It's as simple as that.

bucksfan2
12-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Well then tell UCLA to stop calling TO's. It's as simple as that.

I wouldn't have a problem with it had Carroll not been crying over Stanford running up the score just a few weeks ago.

Generally speaking I don't have a problem with teams scoring add on points. In rivalries or conference games I always have thought if you have a problem with it, stop them. However you don't want to be the coach that sees a top WR get hurt on a garbage play. But I do see a double standard with Carroll. He cried foul play when Stanford played add on, but got did the same thing playing add on against UCLA.

dabvu2498
12-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a problem with coaches scoring "revenge" touchdowns to get back at other coaches. What generally happens is what happened on Saturday. You have a fight-situation where kids could get hurt and/or do something to get themselves suspended. Thankfully it did not escalate to that.

Roy Tucker
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm not exactly sure what the right thing for Carroll to do was.

Seems that he was taking the high road by having his QB take a knee. But after Neuheisel calls a TO, just what exactly is the right thing? Personally, I'd just continue to have my QB take a knee and see if Neuheisel wants to continue the charade. Seems that a couple kneejerk reactions were made, 1.) Neuheisels timeout and 2.) Carroll's bomb. I'd like both of my coaches to have a little more good sense.

I guess if you throw a bomb, well, all is fair in war and love. But after you score, just squint at the scoreboard and say "kicking team out there" instead of acting like you won the Super Bowl.

Chip R
12-03-2009, 12:28 PM
I thought this article might be a nice change of pace from all the fuss about running up the score and whatnot.

http://sports.espn.go.com/travel/news/story?id=4700683

Roy Tucker
12-03-2009, 12:41 PM
This is pretty funny. BCS has a Facebook page. They put pro-BCS articles on it and then get ripped up on side and down the other.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inside-the-BCS/208135432288?v=wall&ref=ts#/pages/Inside-the-BCS/208135432288?v=feed&story_fbid=212695338652

Cyclone792
12-03-2009, 02:53 PM
This is pretty funny. BCS has a Facebook page. They put pro-BCS articles on it and then get ripped up on side and down the other.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Inside-the-BCS/208135432288?v=wall&ref=ts#/pages/Inside-the-BCS/208135432288?v=feed&story_fbid=212695338652

That IS hilarious. I might have to become a fan just so I can enjoy the fireworks myself.

dabvu2498
12-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Southern Cal dumped again. 8-4 and headed to the Emerald Bowl? Insight Bowl? Holiday Bowl?

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2009, 12:06 AM
Southern Cal dumped again. 8-4 and headed to the Emerald Bowl? Insight Bowl? Holiday Bowl?

Awful season by USC. I predicted after the USC-Ohio State game that USC would lose 3-4 games this season. Unfortunately, I was right.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 12:21 AM
As an aside, the Big 10 really misses out by not playing any really meaningful games the last 2 weeks of the season.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 12:22 AM
As an aside, the Big 10 really misses out by not playing any really meaningful games the last 2 weeks of the season.

I disagree. I think they have an advantage because they're the first to end the season. THus, they end up moving up in the polls by default when teams in front of them lose for the next 2 weeks.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 12:30 AM
I disagree. I think they have an advantage because they're the first to end the season. THus, they end up moving up in the polls by default when teams in front of them lose for the next 2 weeks. Perhaps, but from an excitement/hype/recruiting standpoint, the last 2 weeks has been great for UC, Bama, et al.

OSUredsFAN
12-06-2009, 10:48 AM

Well, starting next season, the Big 11 will end its conference play the Saturday after turkey day.

LoganBuck
12-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Perhaps, but from an excitement/hype/recruiting standpoint, the last 2 weeks has been great for UC, Bama, et al.

True but Jim Tressel and Co, are out on the recruiting trail visiting prospects. Teams in other conferences are mired down with their game prep.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM
True but Jim Tressel and Co, are out on the recruiting trail visiting prospects. Teams in other conferences are mired down with their game prep. I'm sure those coaches are finding time to make visits or make some calls saying "hey, did you see our championship game this weekend?"

LoganBuck
12-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm sure those coaches are finding time to make visits or make some calls saying "hey, did you see our championship game this weekend?"

Ohio State's game versus Iowa was just as important to the BCS Bowl Bid system as UC's game versus Pitt yesterday. Did Cincinnati really need two bye weeks? Same goes for the Pac-10.

dabvu2498
12-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Ohio State's game versus Iowa was just as important to the BCS Bowl Bid system as UC's game versus Pitt yesterday. Did Cincinnati really need two bye weeks? Same goes for the Pac-10. It's not about needing bye weeks. It's about generating more interest and excitement for the programs in your conference. And it sounds like they're going to move into the 90s with the rest of major college fb next year.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Is there anything more unfair in sports than bowls selecting teams based not on records, but travel? I mean, there's a chance a team like Penn State, who has beaten absolutely no one, will get to a BCS game before Boise.

There's a team like Florida State who will get to play in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day being 6-6 because it's Bobby's last game and they travel better than a MIami team who is 9-3 AND beat thus mentioned FSU.

WMR
12-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Weis takes shot at Carroll

Former Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis reportedly took a shot at USC's Pete Carroll in an online interview published Saturday, and Carroll isn't happy about it.

Weis, fired at Notre Dame last week, was asked by IrishIllustrated.com, a site devoted to covering Notre Dame sports, if he is "frustrated" by how he's portrayed as opposed to Carroll.

According to the interview transcript from IrishIllustrated.com senior editor Tim Prister, Weis responded: "Let me ask you this question: You guys know about things that go on in different places. Was I living with a grad student in Malibu, or was I living with my wife in my house? You could bet that if I were living with a grad student here in South Bend, it would be national news. He's doing it in Malibu and it's not national news. What's the difference? I don't understand. Why is it OK for one guy to do things like that, but for me, I'm scrutinized when I swear. I'm sorry for swearing; absolve my sins."

Weis was referring to a 2006 "60 Minutes" profile which showed him swearing and caused a minor stir, but the root of his reference to Carroll's alleged living arrangement was unclear. Carroll is married with three children and a grandchild.

Carroll, contacted by the Los Angeles Times on Saturday night, said: "It's untrue, it's irresponsible and it's incredible he'd be talking about me like that," Carroll said of Weis.

Weis was speaking to five handpicked reporters in South Bend, Ind., at Hannah and Friends, the nonprofit organization founded by Weis and his wife Maura designed to help children and adults with special needs. Hannah is one of Weis' children.

Weis was fired after Notre Dame finished 6-6 this season. He was 35-27 in five seasons, winning just one bowl game during his tenure.

Carroll's USC team finished its regular season Saturday with a 21-17 loss to Arizona. The Trojans were 8-4.

KoryMac5
12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Is there anything more unfair in sports than bowls selecting teams based not on records, but travel? I mean, there's a chance a team like Penn State, who has beaten absolutely no one, will get to a BCS game before Boise.

There's a team like Florida State who will get to play in the Gator Bowl on New Years Day being 6-6 because it's Bobby's last game and they travel better than a MIami team who is 9-3 AND beat thus mentioned FSU.

The sooner you realize that 90% of these bowl games are exhibitions the better off you will be. Bowls are about making money not about putting the best match ups in play. The bowls can basically bring who they want to play in their games as long as they meet the criteria of 6 wins.

OnBaseMachine
12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
You stay classy Charlie Weis.

Chip R
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
The sooner you realize that 90% of these bowl games are exhibitions the better off you will be. Bowls are about making money not about putting the best match ups in play. The bowls can basically bring who they want to play in their games as long as they meet the criteria of 6 wins.

This.

These aren't playoff games.

Revering4Blue
12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
Weis attempted to clarify his remarks. He contacted The Times and said the comments came when he was having a "totally subjective" conversation with several reporters that was an aside to the formal interview. Weis said, he was speaking about Internet rumors and their adverse impact on the lives of coaches and their families.

"In no way was I trying to take a shot at Pete," Weis said in a phone message. "What we were talking about was how the rumor mill can affect people's lives. When I was asked a specific question like that, I responded like, 'This is the same crap that I'm talking about.' You start saying things like this and one thing, this guy does this and I do that and all of a sudden the Internet takes it all over the place.

"So, in no way was I trying to take a shot at Pete. I feel if I offended Pete, I will run Pete down and apologize. ... In no way do I have any idea what's going on in anyone's life other than the fact that rumors on the Internet can affect coaches' lives in a very, very negative fashion."

Later, in a telephone interview, Weis said, "In no way would I be disrespectful to that guy," and "All I know is that he kicked the crap out of me five times."

Carroll said Weis had contacted him to express his regrets.

"I talked to Charlie and he wants to set the record straight," Carroll said. "He apologized profusely for being represented wrongly. I'm not commenting anymore."

In the less-salacious parts of his interview, Weis talked about his plans to coach in the NFL next season and his fondness for Notre Dame and his hopes that the football program will succeed with the foundation he built.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2009/12/charlie-weis-tries-to-clarify-salacious-comments-about-pete-carroll/1

MWM
12-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Stupid thing for Weis to say, even if he was trying to draw the comparison of how rumors affect coaches as opposed to heaping judgement of Carroll. Very bush league, even if it's true. He should stay on the high road and collect the millions that will be coming his way from ND and the payday he's going to get in the NFL as a coordinator. These types of comments are going to sound like sour grapes of which he has no reason to have any. He was given plenty of opportunity to prove he deserved the job and contract he had. He wasn't able to do that, so he's got no one to be sour at.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 04:54 PM

I know exactly what it's all about. I just don't think it's fair and for a team. Jim Delaney is supposedly the guy in "charge" of the BCS and he thinks there doesn't need to be a playoff because "all the top bowl games are selling out" and fans are still showing up. It's just unfair to the teams who've actually proved their worth on the field and it rewards mediocre teams like Iowa/Penn State. Heck, Okie State would've received a bid had they beaten OK and they haven't beat one good team all year.

But then again, there are a lot of average/mediocre teams in the top 15 of CFB teams this year so it doesn't matter.

jimbo
12-06-2009, 05:02 PM
It's just unfair to the teams who've actually proved their worth on the field and it rewards mediocre teams like Iowa/Penn State.

You're missing his point. From the very beginning, the primary purpose of bowl games were not to reward teams, but to promote local tourism and business. With the exception of the BCS championship game, it's still pretty much the same today.

IslandRed
12-06-2009, 05:28 PM
You're missing his point. From the very beginning, the primary purpose of bowl games were not to reward teams, but to promote local tourism and business. With the exception of the BCS championship game, it's still pretty much the same today.

Yep. If a major bowl game makes a habit of selecting teams that don't travel well or draw TV ratings, before long it'll be a minor bowl game. It's an unfortunate reality, but reality nonetheless.

DTCromer
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Brutal matchups for the Big 10.

Champs Sports
Miami vs. Wisconsin

Insight
Minnesota vs. Iowa State

Outback
Northwestern vs. Auburn

Capital One
Penn State vs. LSU

Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi
Ohio State vs. Oregon

Valero Alamo
Michigan State vs. Texas Tech

FedEx Orange
Iowa vs. Georgia Tech

*BaseClogger*
12-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Brutal matchups for the Big 10.

Champs Sports
Miami vs. Wisconsin

Insight
Minnesota vs. Iowa State

Outback
Northwestern vs. Auburn

Capital One
Penn State vs. LSU

Rose Bowl Game presented by Citi
Ohio State vs. Oregon

Valero Alamo
Michigan State vs. Texas Tech

FedEx Orange
Iowa vs. Georgia Tech

Really? I think they can matchup just fine in all of them except for the MSU game...

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 08:19 AM
Really? I think they can matchup just fine in all of them except for the MSU game...

Miami v Wisconsin; Warm-weather game in Florida. Even though Orlando is like 5 hours away from Miami or whatever, Whisky will bring more fans. But that's the norm for Miami. Wisconsin won't be able to stop Miami on offense. Wisconsin will get some points. . .I'd say around 20 or so, but Miami will score more. Not to mention, Miami has been playing well in spite of a lot of injuries and has a month to heal up.

Minny vs Iowa State: This game is brutal from a CFB fan stand point. The bowls are great for CFB, but this is a prime example for why there are too many.

Northwestern v Auburn: Gus Malzahn with a month to prepare? I'll take my chances with Auburn and this has nothing to do with an SEC v Big 10 argument.

Penn State v LSU: Penn State is overrated, just like every year. LSU's defense/ ST will win this game.

Ohio State vs Oregon: As much as I hate the Buckeyes, I'm excited to see this game. I'm torn on this game. Oregon has the propensity to choke in big game environments not named the Civil War.

Michigan State vs TTU: TT vs MSU's secondary will be like watching The 2007 Patriots vs the 2002 Bengals.

Iowa vs GT: Just a bad matchup for Iowa. Paul Johnson is one of the best coaches in CFB IMO going up against one of the most overrated in Kirk Ferentz. I just can't see Iowa's offense doing much damage even against an average GT defense. After last year's bowl debacle, I think Johnson will prove his worth this year.

Overall, I don't see one game where they'll be favored by oddsmakers. I think they'll win a few, but I just think they're bad matchups for them. I think the most difficult matchup is Miami vs Wisconsin. The closest is PSU/LSU just because it'll be a low scoring game. OSU/OU is the game to watch though.

paintmered
12-07-2009, 08:26 AM
The Big 11 has the opposite problem as the Big East, especially when they get an at-large BCS bid. They've got great bowl tie-ins but only end up winning 1 or 2 games because of it and get criticized for not winning bowl games.

The Big East has weak bowl tie-ins, wins most of the games each year and it doesn't matter because, "look who they played."

DTCromer
12-07-2009, 08:29 AM
The Big 11 has the opposite problem as the Big East, especially when they get an at-large BCS bid. They've got great bowl tie-ins but only end up winning 1 or 2 games because of it and get criticized for not winning bowl games.

The Big East has weak bowl tie-ins, wins most of the games each year and it doesn't matter because, "look who they played."

I agree. Jim Delaney doesn't care what the conference records are at the end of the bowls. The big 10 usually gets 2 teams in the BCS playing against their own conference and they end up making more money.

DTCromer
12-08-2009, 11:01 AM
your 2009 Bowl Season Announcers:

Saturday, December 19th

New Mexico Bowl: Fresno State v. Wyoming (ESPN, 4:30pm)- Terry Gannon, David Norrie
St. Petersburg Bowl: Central Florida v. Rutgers (ESPN, 8pm)- Mark Jones, Bob Davie, Rob Stone

Sunday, December 20th

New Orleans Bowl: Southern Mississippi v. Middle Tennessee (ESPN, 8:15pm)- Dave Lamont, J.C. Pearson

Tuesday, December 22nd

MAACO Bowl: Oregon State v. Brigham Young (ESPN, 8pm)- Rece Davis, Lou Holtz, Mark May, Todd Harris

Wednesday, December 23rd

Poinsettia Bowl: California v. Utah (ESPN, 8pm)- Mike Patrick, Craig James, Heather Cox

Thursday, December 24th
Hawaii Bowl: Nevada v. Southern Methodist (ESPN, 8pm)- Terry Gannon, David Norrie

Saturday, December 26th

Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl: Marshall v. Ohio (ESPN, 1pm)- Pam Ward, Ray Bentley
Meineke Car Care Bowl: North Carolina v. Pittsburgh (ESPN, 4:30pm)- Bob Wischusen, Bob Griese, Chris Spielman, Quint Kessenich
Emerald Bowl: USC v. Boston College (ESPN, 8pm)- Joe Tessitore, Rod Gilmore, Todd Harris

Sunday, December 27th

Music City Bowl: Kentucky v. Clemson (ESPN, 8:15pm)- Sean McDonough, Matt Millen & Holly Rowe

Monday, December 28th

Independence Bowl: Texas A&M v. Georgia (ESPN2, 5pm)- Ron Franklin, Ed Cunningham, Jeannine Edwards

Tuesday, December 29th

EagleBank Bowl: Temple v. Army or UCLA (ESPN, 4:30pm)- Bob Wischusen, Brian Griese, Rob Stone
Champs Sports Bowl: Wisconsin v. Miami (ESPN, 8pm)- Brad Nessler, Todd Blackledge, Holly Rowe

Wednesday, December 30th

Humanitarian Bowl: Bowling Green v. Idaho (ESPN, 4:30PM)- Eric Collins, Brock Huard, Heather Cox
Holiday Bowl: Arizona v. Nebraska (ESPN, 8pm)- Chris Fowler, Craig James, Jesse Palmer, Erin Andrews

Thursday, December 31st

Armed Forces Bowl: Houston v. Air Force (ESPN, Noon)- Dave Lamont, J.C. Pearson, Cara Capuano
Sun Bowl: Stanford v. Oklahoma (CBS, 2pm)- Craig Bolerjack, Steve Beurelein, Sam Ryan
Texas Bowl: Missouri v. Navy (ESPN, 3:30pm)- Mark Jones, Bob Davie, Quint Kessenich
Insight Bowl: Iowa State v. Minnesota (NFL Network, 6pm)- Paul Burmeister, Mike Mayock, Stacey Dales
Chick-Fil-A Bowl: Virginia Tech v. Tennessee (ESPN, 7:30pm)- Sean McDonough, Matt Millen, Holly Rowe

Friday, January 1st

Outback Bowl: Northwestern v. Auburn (ESPN, 11am)- Dave Pasch, Bob Griese, Chris Spielman, Rob Stone
Capital One Bowl: Louisiana State v. Penn State (ABC, 1pm)- Brad Nessler, Todd Blackledge, Erin Andrews
Gator Bowl: Florida State v. West Virginia (CBS, 1pm)- TBD
Rose Bowl: Ohio State v. Oregon (ABC, 5pm)- Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit
Sugar Bowl: Florida v. Cincinnati (FOX, 8pm)- Thom Brennaman, Brian Billick

Saturday, January 2nd

International Bowl: Northern Illinois v. South Florida (ESPN2, Noon)- Mike Gleason, John Congemi, David Amber
Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma State v. Mississippi (FOX, 2pm)- Pat Summerall, TBD
Papajohns.com Bowl: South Carolna v. Connecticut (ESPN, 2pm)- Dave Neal, Andre Ware, Cara Capuano
Liberty Bowl: Arkansas v. East Carolina (ESPN, 5:30pm)- Ron Franklin, Ed Cunningham, Jeannine Edwards
Alamo Bowl: Michigan State v. Texas Tech (ESPN, 9pm)- Mike Patrick, Craig James, Heather Cox

Monday, January 4th

Fiesta Bowl: Boise State v. Texas Christian (FOX, 8pm)- Sam Rosen, Tim Ryan

Tuesday, January 5th

Orange Bowl: Georgia Tech v. Iowa (FOX, 8pm)- Dick Stockton, Charles Davis

Wednesday, January 6th

GMAC Bowl: Central Michigan v. Troy (ESPN, 7pm)- Joe Tessitore, Rod Gilmore, Quint Kessenich

Thursday, January 7th

BCS National Championship: Alabama v. Texas (ABC, 8pm)- Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit

Chip R
12-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Sugar Bowl: Florida v. Cincinnati (FOX, 8pm)- Thom Brennaman, Brian Billick

Thom probably begged to be assigned to that game.

dabvu2498
12-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned this:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2009-12-09-tenn-under-investigation_N.htm?csp=34

Revering4Blue
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Can't believe nobody's mentioned this:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2009-12-09-tenn-under-investigation_N.htm?csp=34

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/307342-tennessee-vols-football-is-it-time-to-fire-lane-kiffin#poll

Revering4Blue
12-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Big East Must Retain Top Coaches To Remain Relevant

[QUOTE]What will the Big East's eight coaches all have in common heading into 2010? None have led a team to a BCS game.

This sad scenario will happen for the second time in recent history as the conference faced a similar situation going into the 2008 season, following the departure of Rich Rodriguez from West Virginia.

Brian Kelly added his name this week to an ever growing list of Big East coaches who have recently bolted from the programs they've taken to the top of the conference for higher-profile jobs.

This first was Bobby Petrino, who left Louisville following the school's first Big East championship and an Orange Bowl victory after the 2006 season.

Next, was Rich Rodriguez's infamous 2007 departure from West Virginia, after the school's second Big East title in three seasons.

Petrino's time in the NFL was a disaster, but he seems to have landed gracefully at Arkansas and headed in the right direction, while Rodriguez's legacy remains undecided at Michigan.

Now, Brian Kelly is leaving a Cincinnati program, after capturing two straight Big East titles as he heads for "greener" pastures at Notre Dame.

The trend is terrifying for a conference that has fought off negative press since some of their bigger name schools bolted for the ACC earlier this decade.

While three schools have lost their leaders, three others have been able to hang on to their coaches.

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall has stayed in Storrs despite interest from his alma mater Syracuse and recent consideration for the Notre Dame job. Jim Leavitt from South Florida has been the only coach the school has ever known and seems content in Tampa. Rutger's coach Greg Schiano has also remained with his school, despite interest for recent high profile openings at Miami and Michigan.

The bad news is that none of these teams have played in the BCS, and none carry the tradition close to that of a Pittsburgh or West Virginia.

Competing with the nation's elite will continue to be a challenge, but the conference must retain Edsall, Leavitt, and Schiano as they build consistent winners at their respective schools. The continued resurgence of Pittsburgh, coupled with the usually reliable West Virginia, should continue to give the conference national name recognition.

However, the key may lie with the conference's newest additions. Charlie Strong and Doug Marrone are two young coaches who may have the spark to send Louisville and Syracuse straight up the standings in the not too distant future.

The Big East has survived the recent departures of Petrino and Rodriguez, but if the post-Kelly years are to be fruitful, a new coach and possibly a new school must separate itself from the pack./QUOTE]

http://www.collegefootballogy.com/

Roy Tucker
12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Watching that Appalachian St. - Montana playoff game, I can't believe how myopic not having a Div 1 NCAA football playoff is.

RichRed
12-14-2009, 01:41 PM
Watching that Appalachian St. - Montana playoff game, I can't believe how myopic not having a Div 1 NCAA football playoff is.

That was one of the most entertaining games I've seen in a while on ANY level. I'm admittedly biased as a FCS fan and husband of an App State grad though. But the atmosphere at a Montana game looks pretty amazing.

Chip R
12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Interesting article about bowl revenues and financial allottment for Big 10 and Big East teams.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_657537.html

KoryMac5
01-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Some really entertaining games so far today with Auburn/Northwestern and PSU/LSU. Penn State represented the Big Ten well today by beating LSU in the mud. Hopefully The Ohio State University can keep it going here against a tough PAC 10 team.

OnBaseMachine
01-01-2010, 04:42 PM
I predict Ohio State wins by 10+.

Slyder
01-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Ladies and gentlemen the state would like to introduce exhibit f to the court.

WVU vs Florida State.

Stew is not a coach that can take this program to where we want it to be and Mullen can't even get out of his own feet calling plays. They are the problems, sadly many have buried their heads in the sand.

WVRed
01-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Ladies and gentlemen the state would like to introduce exhibit f to the court.

WVU vs Florida State.

Stew is not a coach that can take this program to where we want it to be and Mullen can't even get out of his own feet calling plays. They are the problems, sadly many have buried their heads in the sand.

Bill Stewart is the second coming of Don Nehlen. As was said in the other thread, take away all of the good assistants, coordinators, and recruiters and he is the emperor without any clothes.

The only thing probably saving Stewart today is that they played in an environment where only the whacked out fans expected WVU to win. Playing FSU in Florida with all of the fanfare and trying to give Bobby Bowden a winning season before he rides off into the sunset. I honestly believe if Alabama were playing FSU today that it would be just as much a struggle.

On a side note, I believe WVU is going to lose to Purdue tonight in basketball. It will make for a fun weekend listening to all of the fans here trying to rationalize it.

Slyder
01-01-2010, 07:16 PM
Bill Stewart is the second coming of Don Nehlen. As was said in the other thread, take away all of the good assistants, coordinators, and recruiters and he is the emperor without any clothes.

The only thing probably saving Stewart today is that they played in an environment where only the whacked out fans expected WVU to win. Playing FSU in Florida with all of the fanfare and trying to give Bobby Bowden a winning season before he rides off into the sunset. I honestly believe if Alabama were playing FSU today that it would be just as much a struggle.

On a side note, I believe WVU is going to lose to Purdue tonight in basketball. It will make for a fun weekend listening to all of the fans here trying to rationalize it.

They already lost by 14 to Purdue and the bits of the game I watched the deficit seemed to vary from 8 pts to 28 pts and every point in between. Seemed like we were lacking fire today.

WVRed
01-01-2010, 09:23 PM
They already lost by 14 to Purdue and the bits of the game I watched the deficit seemed to vary from 8 pts to 28 pts and every point in between. Seemed like we were lacking fire today.

First real competition WVU has played all season. I wouldn't call Ole Miss much of a contest and Seton Hall took them to overtime. Of all the unbeaten teams, I will contend that WVU was the most overrated and they got exposed.

will5979
01-01-2010, 10:34 PM
First real competition WVU has played all season. I wouldn't call Ole Miss much of a contest and Seton Hall took them to overtime. Of all the unbeaten teams, I will contend that WVU was the most overrated and they got exposed.

As one of the biggest wvu supporters in wv i'll take your word for it...but then again i don't like bball. In football we were/are overrated, today's game was a microcosm of our season. We suck again, welcome back to the Don Nehlen era! At least I have the Bengals!:help:

Slyder
01-01-2010, 10:38 PM
As one of the biggest wvu supporters in wv i'll take your word for it...but then again i don't like bball. In football we were/are overrated, today's game was a microcosm of our season. We suck again, welcome back to the Don Nehlen era! At least I have the Bengals!:help:

Could be worse... You could be waiting for Al Davis to get a clue ;).