PDA

View Full Version : Your 2009-2010 College Football Thread

Pages : [1] 2

WVRed
08-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I present power rankings by ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/powerranking?season=2009&week=0

Nobody from the Big East making it. Rutgers did get 25 votes.

As much as everybody is picking Florida this year, and rightfully so, I am going with Alabama to win it all. Just a gut feeling.

bucksfan2
08-11-2009, 09:13 AM
Bama has a new QB, doubt that happens.

I think one of these 5 teams have a chance. OU, Texas, Florida, USC and OSU. The only reason I threw OSU into the bunch is because of Pryor.

Eric_the_Red
08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Alright, RZers, I really, really want to get into college football this year. I have always held out due to the ridiculous post-season. (I'm in favor of a tournament playoff.) But, I've decided that I am being too productive on Saturdays, and feel that college football can go a long way to solving that problem.

So, now the question becomes which college to root for. There are a few options I am considering, but definitely can be swayed.

Right now I am leaning toward Cincinnati, being the local team and all. I like what BK has done for the program, but I wonder if U.C. can ever really compete with the big boys.

There is also Ohio State. Somewhat local, good program, big reputation despite having trouble winning the big games lately.

Or do I pick another school? Go SEC? Look for an underdog to root for? A storied tradition? Help!

Z-Fly
08-11-2009, 10:32 AM
I bought UC season tickets a few years back. I have been a huge fan ever since. The games are so much fun to go to. I think you can still buy season tickets. They are pretty cheap too. You may want to look into that.

DTCromer
08-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Bama has a new QB, doubt that happens.

I think one of these 5 teams have a chance. OU, Texas, Florida, USC and OSU. The only reason I threw OSU into the bunch is because of Pryor.

Pryor would have to actually throw better than Lamar Latrell for them to even think about having a chance.

WMR
08-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Pryor would have to actually throw better than Lamar Latrell for them to even think about having a chance.

This Lamar Latrell?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCWz9U0MtoI

Secret Pryor training video? :D

15fan
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Alright, RZers, I really, really want to get into college football this year. I have always held out due to the ridiculous post-season. (I'm in favor of a tournament playoff.) But, I've decided that I am being too productive on Saturdays, and feel that college football can go a long way to solving that problem.

So, now the question becomes which college to root for. There are a few options I am considering, but definitely can be swayed.

Here's my suggestion: Road trip.

If you're in Cincinnati, you're well within striking distance of many of the biggies: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia are but a few of the road trips that might be fun and relatively easy to coordinate. Or think about where you have friends/family and keep an eye on sale fares. A cheap ticket to Atlanta or Charlotte could get you to see Georgia or Clemson. Auburn isn't that far from Atlanta, either. Lots of good ball in Florida. Mississippi is just down the road from Memphis, and the tailgating is supposed to be unreal (with a special emphasis on the "tail" portion of tailgating. ;) )

There are plenty of other experiences that would be outstanding. I'd love to see a Navy home game. Wouldn't mind seeing the Texas A&M 12th man at some point, either. A game at Washington on the sound would be killer. The Florida A&M band would be worth the price of admission alone.

Few things in life are as enjoyable as spending a Saturday afternoon in September or October at a college football game. Rather than worrying about identifying a team to root for on the front end, I say get out there to some games and let the specific allegiance evolve over time.

dabvu2498
08-11-2009, 03:54 PM

If you're in Cincinnati, you're well within striking distance of many of the biggies: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Penn State, Virginia Tech, and West Virginia are but a few of the road trips that might be fun and relatively easy to coordinate. Or think about where you have friends/family and keep an eye on sale fares. A cheap ticket to Atlanta or Charlotte could get you to see Georgia or Clemson. Auburn isn't that far from Atlanta, either. Lots of good ball in Florida. Mississippi is just down the road from Memphis, and the tailgating is supposed to be unreal (with a special emphasis on the "tail" portion of tailgating. ;) )

There are plenty of other experiences that would be outstanding. I'd love to see a Navy home game. Wouldn't mind seeing the Texas A&M 12th man at some point, either. A game at Washington on the sound would be killer. The Florida A&M band would be worth the price of admission alone.

Few things in life are as enjoyable as spending a Saturday afternoon in September or October at a college football game. Rather than worrying about identifying a team to root for on the front end, I say get out there to some games and let the specific allegiance evolve over time.

Oxford, Mississippi is the best place on earth to tailgate and it's not really even close.

bucksfan2
08-11-2009, 04:46 PM

Absolutely. Pryor is that just freak of nature athlete that comes around every so often. I have heard reports that his throwing motion is coming around but that still needs to be seen.

IMO he has the game changing ability that Vince Young and Michael Vick had in college. They could single handily lift their team to victory.

IslandRed
08-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Second.

There's not much I enjoy more than a college football Saturday in front of the TV with a bunch of good games to flip between, but games in person are even better, and they're fun even if you don't have a dog in the fight.

Captain Hook
08-12-2009, 01:01 AM
IMO he has the game changing ability that Vince Young and Michael Vick had in college. They could single handily lift their team to victory.

I couldn't agree more.

I think he will have a great year.Ohio State will need it because while they do reload every year they have lost a ton of weapons on the offensive side of the ball.Lots of unproven guys will be out there in the huddle looking for their sophomore QB to lead them.Tressel will have his work cut out but the Buckeyes should be fine this year.

kaldaniels
08-19-2009, 01:32 PM
My question is...

Will the Florida Gators cover the 73 point spread in their opening game vs. Charleston Southern. It is so tempting to take the points on this one.

dabvu2498
08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
What's the over/under??? 73

There has to be a giveaway bet there somewhere.

Redlegs23
08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Eric, go with Cincinnati. They're the hometown team and it's fun having some pride in your hometown team. The games are fun and have a great atmosphere. BK is doing great things with the program, and there's just a lot of excitement around UC football right now. I'm sure you won't regret it if you go with the hometown team. Please don't jump on the bandwagon of the big time programs that get pumped by the media all day.

RichRed
08-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Right now I am leaning toward Cincinnati, being the local team and all. I like what BK has done for the program, but I wonder if U.C. can ever really compete with the big boys.

There is also Ohio State. Somewhat local, good program, big reputation despite having trouble winning the big games lately.

Or do I pick another school? Go SEC? Look for an underdog to root for? A storied tradition? Help!

FCS (I-AA) all the way! Right, Chip?

Chip R
08-19-2009, 02:48 PM
FCS (I-AA) all the way! Right, Chip?

:thumbup: You know it!

cincrazy
08-20-2009, 01:14 AM
I don't see OSU losing to USC. A first year starting QB coming into the Shoe and beating Ohio State... I'm not sure it's impossible, but I don't think it's likely. They also lost a lot on defense, despite the return of Taylor Mays.

Outside of USC, the only thing standing between OSU and a title game appearance is their game at Happy Valley. If they get by USC and PSU, I can't see them losing another game.

I still say Florida is the favorite. I don't know how they can't be considered the team to beat, actually. As sick as that makes me.

acredsfan
08-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Eric, go with Cincinnati. They're the hometown team and it's fun having some pride in your hometown team. The games are fun and have a great atmosphere. BK is doing great things with the program, and there's just a lot of excitement around UC football right now. I'm sure you won't regret it if you go with the hometown team. Please don't jump on the bandwagon of the big time programs that get pumped by the media all day.Definitely second this one. Even though I have been a fan of UC football since before they started gaining ground on the bigger teams, It was hard to be a die hard fan until Kelly got here. He's the kind of coach you trust can make any team good. He's the best salesman in the game and if he stays here, he can do some special things in Cincinnati.

As big of a fan as I am, I know UC isn't quite on the same playing field of OSU, Florida, etc. yet. That doesn't mean they can't compete, but they just don't have the depth and recruiting ability that these teams have because they have not been a good team for a very long time. If things continue like they are now, that will change. Either way, they are a lot of fun to watch, and will compete in every game they play. I don't think Bearcats fans will be surprized to see them repeat last year, but outsiders would be.

VR
08-21-2009, 01:23 AM
This should shake out to be one of the most exciting College Football seasons in quite some time. Headliners Tebow, Bradford and McCoy are solid stars that will be exciting to follow..... and a strong field talented teams like USC, Oregon, Alabama, OSU, and many others will mean every week will have plenty of blockbuster matchups.
The September 3rd game between Oregon/ Boise State will be a barnburner to get things rockin.

Eric_the_Red
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Alright, I'm officially rooting for UC. Go Cats! (Now I have to learn the intricacies of the college game vs. NFL, besides the weird overtime system.)

paintmered
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Alright, I'm officially rooting for UC. Go Cats! (Now I have to learn the intricacies of the college game vs. NFL, besides the weird overtime system.)

NFL: 15 minute overtime, first one to score wins.

NCAA: Think football's version of extra innings. Each half-inning consists of a team taking possession of the ball on the opposing 25 yard line. After double-OT, teams must go for 2 after scoring a touchdown.

BTW, good choice with UC.

redhawkfish
09-03-2009, 10:24 PM
I am excited for the Miami RedHawks opener against UK at PBS this saturday. Hopefully, I can stay excited for more than a quarter.

LoganBuck
09-04-2009, 12:42 AM
Boise State taking it to Oregon right now.

13-0 at half.

Captain Hook
09-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Boise State taking it to Oregon right now.

13-0 at half.

Hope Boise St. keeps it up.I have no love for any PAC 10 team.

Boston Red
09-04-2009, 02:13 AM
Boise should have won by about 5 TDs. Only Boise's self-inflicted mistakes kept it from being so.

DTCromer
09-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Both Boise and Oregon looked like garbage tonight. Actually, not 1 of the 4 teams on ESPN looked any good.

reds1869
09-04-2009, 08:28 AM
The Oregon player who punched the BSU player after the game deserves a hefty suspension, regardless of what might have been said to him.

dabvu2498
09-04-2009, 08:55 AM
The Oregon player who punched the BSU player after the game deserves a hefty suspension, regardless of what might have been said to him. Blount had made statements in the media about Boise needing an "a** whipping" after their qb got cheap-shotted last year. I guess since he couldn't make that happen on the field... But yes, Oregon looked terribly overrated.

DTCromer
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
The Oregon player who punched the BSU player after the game deserves a hefty suspension, regardless of what might have been said to him.

If you're going to run your mouth on the field after the game like that, then you better be ready for the consequences. You can't complain about getting punched after getting in a guy's face and taunting him after you've already won the game.

I mean, the BSU player came up to him, hit him on the shoulder, starts talking crap, and ESPN makes it look like the Oregon player is the only one in the wrong. bullcrap, that BSU player deserved to get punched and that Oregon player deserves a suspension.

reds1869
09-04-2009, 09:13 AM
If you're going to run your mouth on the field after the game like that, then you better be ready for the consequences. You can't complain about getting punched after getting in a guy's face and taunting him after you've already won the game.

Try that one on the police next time you assault someone for talking smack. See how far that argument gets you.

cincrazy
09-04-2009, 09:32 AM

I mean, the BSU player came up to him, hit him on the shoulder, starts talking crap, and ESPN makes it look like the Oregon player is the only one in the wrong. bullcrap, that BSU player deserved to get punched and that Oregon player deserves a suspension.

Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player, if I'm going to be completely honest. That guy deserved to get punched right in the face. If this would have taken place 50 years ago, nothing comes of it. In this day and age, with cameras all over the place and 24/7 news coverage, you would think he brought a gun onto the field and shot someone.

reds1869
09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player, if I'm going to be completely honest. That guy deserved to get punched right in the face. If this would have taken place 50 years ago, nothing comes of it. In this day and age, with cameras all over the place and 24/7 news coverage, you would think he brought a gun onto the field and shot someone.

If this would have taken place 50 years ago the players would not have been trash talking in the first place.

Reds Freak
09-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Just because it may have happened 50 years ago without fanfare doesn't make a punch to the face excusable. African-Americans couldn't eat in the same restaurants as whites 50 years ago either but that doesn't mean it was right. The player from Boise State was completely out of line but that doesn't give the Oregon player the right to hit him in the jaw and then act like a buffoon.

The kid from Oregon should be more concerned that his team looked like crap and he carried the ball eight times for -5 yards...

Boston Red
09-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Agreed. I feel kind of bad for the Oregon player

The Oregon player who spent the weeks leading up to the game telling the media that Oregon owed Boise State an ass-kicking (and then delivered -8 yards rushing)? The Oregon player who proceeded to fight with a teammate in the middle of the field after punching the Boise player? The Oregon player who then had to be restrained by four people from going into the stands after Boise State fans? The Oregon player who also allegedly hit a security guard and an assistant coach as part of his meltdown? The same Oregon player who had been suspended from practice during fall camp for attitude issues?

Strange place to direct sympathies if you ask me.

guttle11
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
If this would have taken place 50 years ago the players would not have been trash talking in the first place.

Not big on college football history, are you? It was probably much, much worse than simple trash talk 50 years ago.

DTCromer
09-04-2009, 11:24 AM

I don't feel bad for him. He deserves every consequence that happens from this. He should've been the bigger man and walked away after talking smack. But if you're Joe Blow from BSU and you stick your nose up and start talking smack to his face after the game, when emotions are running high, then you better be ready to back it up.

I'm not saying what Blount did wasn't wrong. I'm just saying that Joe Blow wasn't right either.

15fan
09-04-2009, 11:37 AM
Yep.

Best advice my dad ever gave me was don't start it if you're not willing to finish it.

Blount's season should be over.

And if I was on the BSU coaching staff, I'd tell Hout that when he's done picking his teeth up off the blue turf, he'd better find himself a very good pair of running shoes and a very reliable alarm clock.

RedsBaron
09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
The Oregon player who spent the weeks leading up to the game telling the media that Oregon owed Boise State an ass-kicking (and then delivered -8 yards rushing)? The Oregon player who proceeded to fight with a teammate in the middle of the field after punching the Boise player? The Oregon player who then had to be restrained by four people from going into the stands after Boise State fans? The Oregon player who also allegedly hit a security guard and an assistant coach as part of his meltdown? The same Oregon player who had been suspended from practice during fall camp for attitude issues?

Strange place to direct sympathies if you ask me.
Hout shouldn't have taunted Blount, but no way are Blount's actions justified. Blount deserves a vacation from football for a few weeks IMO.

redhawkfish
09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Blount should be gone. My alma mater Miami University had this happen after a game a few years back, but one of our coaches drilled an idiot fan talking trash to him on the field. I was never more embarassed for Miami than I was then. He was justifiably fired. Why are people always unable to just walk away when taunted?

reds1869
09-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Blount should be gone. My alma mater Miami University had this happen after a game a few years back, but one of our coaches drilled an idiot fan talking trash to him on the field. I was never more embarassed for Miami than I was then. He was justifiably fired. Why are people always unable to just walk away when taunted?

Don't forget that your coaches also destroyed our press box. ;)

guttle11: I know they would fight, talk garbage, etc. But it was of a very different tone than now. Now it is hit and run, no one stands up and acts like a man.

dabvu2498
09-04-2009, 01:34 PM
I had a Woody Hayes flashback myself. Although that wasn't 50 years ago.

bucksfan2
09-04-2009, 03:58 PM
I don't feel bad for him. He deserves every consequence that happens from this. He should've been the bigger man and walked away after talking smack. But if you're Joe Blow from BSU and you stick your nose up and start talking smack to his face after the game, when emotions are running high, then you better be ready to back it up.

I'm not saying what Blount did wasn't wrong. I'm just saying that Joe Blow wasn't right either.

After being shown the clip about 5 times on SportsCenter I have come to this conclusion.

Last year BSU had a pretty bad cheap shot on Oregon's QB. Tensions were high all week long, BSU knowing that a BCS berth was on the line, and Oregon knowing that a championship season was on the line. There was talk going back and forth about the game ever since college football came to the fore front. Most major sporting sites pimped the game as one of the games of the year.

Fast forward to the end of the game. Blount after a disappointing game is tapped on the shoulder and taunted as he walks off the field. I am sure that emotions and tensions are high at that point. It is just too difficult to turn that intensity off right after a game ends. IMO Blount punching that BSU guy shouldn't have happened, but I have little problem with it. The BSU player deserved it, especially after he taunted the player after a close loss.

What happened afterward is where I blame Blount. Him going after the fans and whoever else was in the area was wrong, and he should be punished for that. IMO whatever suspension Blount gets, Hout should get almost the same amount of time. While he didn't throw the punch, he instigated the entire fracas.

WMR
09-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Boise State going undefeated from this point on doesn't NECESSARILY mean they should be awarded a BCS bowl bid.

They don't have a game remaining versus anyone in the top 45.

*BaseClogger*
09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Boise State going undefeated from this point on doesn't NECESSARILY mean they should be awarded a BCS bowl bid.

They don't have a game remaining versus anyone in the top 45.

You mean the preseason top 45, which means absolutely nothing...

*BaseClogger*
09-04-2009, 04:28 PM

Did you attend a university?

WMR
09-04-2009, 04:32 PM
You mean the preseason top 45, which means absolutely nothing...

It really does matter in Boise State's case, however, because the chances of any of those opponents rising appreciably in the rankings is very slim. They all play each other. The only way many of those opponents will rise very much at all is if they beat Boise State, which in itself makes the BCS bid moot.

Boston Red
09-04-2009, 04:40 PM
IMO whatever suspension Blount gets, Hout should get almost the same amount of time.

Yeah, no.

RedsBaron
09-04-2009, 05:08 PM
One of my partners and I were discussing this a few minutes ago. He said that he thought Blount should be suspended for three games, which sounds about right to me.
He also mentioned that we need to know what Hout said to Blount. While nothing can justify what Blount did, if Hout said something racial or really vile, that would make Blount's actions more understandable.
Hout should receive some sort of punsihment for taunting as well.
In Blount's defense, playing on that blue turf might make me somewhat crazy.

KoryMac5
09-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Whether it is in the heat of the moment or a response to a taunt, nobody deserves to get punched in the jaw, period. This is battery folks which can carry jail time if the Boise player decides to pursue it. I am really suprised that he wasn't arrested by the police when the incident happened.

The funny thing about the whole incident was the fact that the Boise coach was trying to police his own player when the incident occured. Coach had grabbed his jersey turning him away from Blount to lecture him allwoing Blount to lay one on him. Thanks for that lesson Coach. Hout's punishment should be simple having to watch that in front of the team during a film session. Ouch!

KoryMac5
09-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Looks like Oregon has decided to suspend Blount for the remainder of the season. Nice move by the University to not pull his scholarship.

Oregon has suspended running back LeGarrette Blount for the remainder of the season for punching Boise State linebacker Byron Hout after Thursday night's loss.

Blount's suspension includes any bowl games. Coach Chip Kelly said he will remain on scholarship.

Looks like his NFL dreams may also be over too.

McShay: Blount Blows Chance At NFL

His sucker punch at the end of Thursday's loss at Boise State will sink out-of-shape Oregon running back LeGarrette Blount's chances of an NFL career, Todd McShay writes. Blog

OnBaseMachine
09-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow, I'm shocked they suspended him that long. Some folks were mentioning him as a darkhouse candidate for the Heisman this season. With Blount out and the lack of a QB, this could be a long season for Oregon. They have plenty of talent but they lack the QB needed to win a conference.

Revering4Blue
09-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Wow, I'm shocked they suspended him that long. Some folks were mentioning him as a darkhouse candidate for the Heisman this season. With Blount out and the lack of a QB, this could be a long season for Oregon. They have plenty of talent but they lack the QB needed to win a conference.

Lack of a QB?

Jeremiah Masoli is all pre-season Pac-10 QB, and is perfectly suited to run the Oregon spread-option attack.

For my money, as things stand today, Washington's Jake Locker is the best QB in the conference. He's extremely versatile, able to pilot a spread attack as well as a USC's pro attack. It may not happen overnight, but I fully expect new coach Steve Sarkisian to enable Locker to reach his full potential, while implementing a hybrid spread/Pro attack.

We shall see.

LoganBuck
09-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Lack of a QB?

Jeremiah Masoli is all pre-season Pac-10 QB, and is perfectly suited to run the Oregon spread-option attack.

For my money, as things stand today, Washington's Jake Locker is the best QB in the conference. He's extremely versatile, able to pilot a spread attack as well as a USC's pro attack. It may not happen overnight, but I fully expect new coach Steve Sarkisian to enable Locker to reach his full potential, while implementing a hybrid spread/Pro attack.

We shall see.

I don't think Masoli is the kind of QB that you can expect to put his team on his shoulders and grind out a drive to win a big game, especially on the road. He is suited for a spread option offense, but he is more adequate than exceptional.

RedsBaron
09-05-2009, 11:24 AM

Yeah, ending the guy's college career seems a bit severe to me.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't think Masoli is the kind of QB that you can expect to put his team on his shoulders and grind out a drive to win a big game, especially on the road. He is suited for a spread option offense, but he is more adequate than exceptional.

I agree.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 01:29 PM

UC's a good team to follow, since they are local and IMO their program's turned the corner to be considered legit nationwide.

You could go against the grain if you want, and have the constitution to remain true to the program, and be a Michigan fan.

You could keep it in state and root for the Buckeyes.

You could jump on the Wildcat bandwagon and root for UK.

Lotta options in college football, and none of them are bad IMO. Just gotta find a team for a reason you like and can then defend as a fan.

Boston Red
09-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Greg Paulus appears to be an adequate college QB, and Syracuse looks to be much improved (not saying much).

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Greg Paulus appears to be an adequate college QB, and Syracuse looks to be much improved (not saying much).

Paulus has looked better than I anticipated, even with plenty of dropped balls.

So far I can't stand the stallion offense, though.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Navy is going for a 2 PT conversion to attempt to tie Ohio State with 2:23 remaining in the game. Wow, I never expected that.

OSU picks it off and returns it for two points. 31-27 OSU. That's probably game.

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Navy has come back from down 15 and now trails Ohio State 29-27 with a 2 point try coming up

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Ohio State intercepted the 2point conversion and retuned it for 2 points so OSU is now up 31-27

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:04 PM
OSU won 31-27.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:13 PM
Northern Iowa trails #22 Iowa 17-16 with 29 seconds left and Northern Iowa has a first down at the Iowa 35...

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
OSU won 31-27.

So much for getting ready for USC.

Pryor's just an amazing athlete to watch, though.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:15 PM
First down at the Iowa 23 with 18 seconds remaining...

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Northern Iowa misses a 40 yard FG attempt with one second remaining. Iowa barely survives.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Northern Iowa misses a 40 yard FG attempt with one second remaining. Iowa barely survives.

In all fairness, Iowa blocked that kick.

Great play by Iowa to seal the W as opposed to a choke by the NIU kicker.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Not so fast. An Iowa player may have touched the ball and Northern Iowa recovered. Shades of Leon Lett. The play is currently under review.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Meanwhile, Syracuse is doing their best job to give this game to Minnesota with under 2 to go in the game.

OnBaseMachine
09-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Wow. NIU got another chance and the kick was blocked again. Iowa wins 17-16.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:25 PM

Methinks NIU will spend some time in practice this week working on FG blocking protection.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Free football in Syracuse, this game's goin' to OT.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Golden Gophers pick off Paulus in endzone

This one should be over.

traderumor
09-05-2009, 04:42 PM
Tressel's strength is game management. Sometimes I don't have my best day at work, today, Tressel had one of his poorer days at work. Here are my obvious disagreements with game management today, which is the only reason the game was close:

1) Up 17-7, bringing in Bowserman. Chance to put the game away, and in fairness, he did drive the team to a FG, but not the time or place. If your playing a lower division MAC team maybe, but with this young team, just a horrible decision.

2) Up 20-7, just watched Navy run three plays for negative yardage, get the ball on the 42, and end up punting from their own territory. Perfect time for the home run ball, not one home run ball was thrown all day.

3) I was fine going for it up 29-14, but the 3rd and 4th down plays were totally unimaginative and predictable. Terrell Pryor's skills have to be used there for something other than handing the ball off.

This was all poor game management, almost as bad as Marvin Lewis. I expect more out of Tressel, guess he just didn't get one break out of the close calls, all of which made him look bad.

Of course, there is always more second guessing, but those were the key blown decisions I noticed immediately.

Highlifeman21
09-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Golden Gophers pick off Paulus in endzone

This one should be over.

Golden Gophers hit a 35 yard FG to win in OT.

HeatherC1212
09-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you tOSU for giving me a stroke today, LOL :laugh: :eek:

LoganBuck
09-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Tressel's strength is game management. Sometimes I don't have my best day at work, today, Tressel had one of his poorer days at work. Here are my obvious disagreements with game management today, which is the only reason the game was close:

1) Up 17-7, bringing in Bowserman. Chance to put the game away, and in fairness, he did drive the team to a FG, but not the time or place. If your playing a lower division MAC team maybe, but with this young team, just a horrible decision.

2) Up 20-7, just watched Navy run three plays for negative yardage, get the ball on the 42, and end up punting from their own territory. Perfect time for the home run ball, not one home run ball was thrown all day.

3) I was fine going for it up 29-14, but the 3rd and 4th down plays were totally unimaginative and predictable. Terrell Pryor's skills have to be used there for something other than handing the ball off.

This was all poor game management, almost as bad as Marvin Lewis. I expect more out of Tressel, guess he just didn't get one break out of the close calls, all of which made him look bad.

Of course, there is always more second guessing, but those were the key blown decisions I noticed immediately.

Agree on all counts.

The problem I see is that I never thought the game was in doubt until Anderson Russell got caught with his pants down. That is probably where Tressel was. He was caught between not wanting to run it up on Navy, and not showing anything to USC. If Taurian Washington makes those two catches today instead of looking like the Venus de Milo, the score looks more like 35-14.

I disagree with the play call on forth down as well. Navy could not play with Ohio State all day on the edges, so why attack the only spot that they showed aptitude all day? When dealing with smaller quicker defensive linemen you can't let them get leverage, you need to stand them up and make them move, in short yardage situations. If you would have asked the average OSU fan on the street before the game "what spot on the line would you run behind in short yardage?", the answer was "behind Justin Boren". The problem is until you show you can run to the right the other teams crash the box on that spot, in short yardage situations. If Pryor fakes the handoff and keeps it, he can jog into the endzone there. Navy knew what was coming.

BTW Michigan looking good today. They are executing their offense, and playing to their strengths. Looking good.

traderumor
09-05-2009, 05:41 PM
I will add that this is the best sports time of the year for me. Baseball pennant races, playoffs and the World Series, football all day Saturday and Sunday, MNF....whoa Nellie.

RichRed
09-05-2009, 06:53 PM

Poor Chip. :(

HeatherC1212
09-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I will add that this is the best sports time of the year for me. Baseball pennant races, playoffs and the World Series, football all day Saturday and Sunday, MNF....whoa Nellie.

I totally agree and for me, I can add that the figure skating season is starting to get going too and I swear it's like Christmas is here four months early, LOL :thumbup: :beerme: :D

*BaseClogger*
09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

I never had a doubt during today's game. As somebody else said, before the 85 yard pass play the game wasn't really close.

I will also go on record as saying I agree with nearly every play call Tressel made today. If Ohio State's massive offensive line can't get enough of a push on undersized Navy defenders to gain two yards on fourth down then hey don't deserve it. Plain and simple...

LoganBuck
09-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Sam Bradford out with an undisclosed right shoulder injury after landing hard on it.

BYU with a brilliant goal line stand.

Oklahoma 13 BYU 7 in the 4th Quarter.

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2009, 11:01 PM
BYU just took a 14-13 lead over Oklahoma with 3 minutes left.

Boston Red
09-05-2009, 11:04 PM
Oklahoma hates games against non-BCS teams at neutral retractable roof domes that are home to NFL teams.

Reds Fanatic
09-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Oklahoma just missed a 54 yard FG with about 1:30 left in the game.

Boston Red
09-05-2009, 11:22 PM
If BYU doesn't fumble while kneeling, they win.

WMR
09-05-2009, 11:28 PM
holy snizzle!

Puffy
09-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I really, really hate Brent Musberger. Kills games for me.

WMR
09-05-2009, 11:43 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/meanhorn/OKkidcrying.jpg

HeatherC1212
09-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow, that Oklahoma-BYU result is a huge stunner but it doesn't surprise me too much after finding out that Bradford wasn't in most of the game. That was huge for the Sooners to lose him and if he's out for too long, I think their season will be over before they get to the halfway point. :eek:

Boston Red
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Wow, that Oklahoma-BYU result is a huge stunner but it doesn't surprise me too much after finding out that Bradford wasn't in most of the game. That was huge for the Sooners to lose him and if he's out for too long, I think their season will be over before they get to the halfway point. :eek:

He wasn't out most of the game. Just half of it. It was 7-7 with 7 seconds left in the first half when he left. Oklahoma kicked a FG on the next play. Essentially, OU won the first half 10-7 with him and lost the second half 7-3 without him.

HeatherC1212
09-06-2009, 01:31 AM
He wasn't out most of the game. Just half of it. It was 7-7 with 7 seconds left in the first half when he left. Oklahoma kicked a FG on the next play. Essentially, OU won the first half 10-7 with him and lost the second half 7-3 without him.

Oh I thought they lost him sooner than that but I guess it doesn't make their situation any better. Thanks for the clarification.

KoryMac5
09-06-2009, 01:46 AM
Huge blow to OU and to Bradford. Listed as an AC joint sprain and depending on the severity of it he could be out a few weeks to a few months at the worst. OU was also playing the game with 4 new O line starters. Obviously Sam won't be taking his lineman out for dinner tonight.

Good win for BYU and a measure of respect for Bronco and his crew. He does an excellent job with that program and I am sure a big win over a Big 12 school will help their chances when it comes to bowl consideration.

traderumor
09-06-2009, 08:48 AM

I never had a doubt during today's game. As somebody else said, before the 85 yard pass play the game wasn't really close.

I will also go on record as saying I agree with nearly every play call Tressel made today. If Ohio State's massive offensive line can't get enough of a push on undersized Navy defenders to gain two yards on fourth down then hey don't deserve it. Plain and simple...Uh huh. I'm sure you were just fine as they lined up for the 2 point conversion to tie. :rolleyes:

Tressel himself disagreed with you in his post game conference, saying essentially he made a wrong decision to go for it on 4th down. That old "if we can't get two yards..." mentality is not really helpful. Two yards is never a given on any play for any team. Now, I didn't disagree with going for it, I disagreed with the play call, but it wasn't based on "if we can't get two yards," it was based on clearly putting the game out of reach.

reds1869
09-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Uh huh. I'm sure you were just fine as they lined up for the 2 point conversion to tie. :rolleyes:

Tressel himself disagreed with you in his post game conference, saying essentially he made a wrong decision to go for it on 4th down. That old "if we can't get two yards..." mentality is not really helpful. Two yards is never a given on any play for any team. Now, I didn't disagree with going for it, I disagreed with the play call, but it wasn't based on "if we can't get two yards," it was based on clearly putting the game out of reach.

Tressel's disciple, Mark Snyder, did the exact same thing in the Marshall game yesterday. Instead of taking an easy three points to effectively seal the deal, he went for it on fourth and two. We got stuffed and proceeded to nearly blow the game. A win is a win but man did a lot of teams have close calls last night (especially Iowa). Then there was UVA losing to William & Mary and Duke losing to Richmond. There is no such thing as an easy guaranteed opener any more.

cincrazy
09-06-2009, 10:21 AM

I will also go on record as saying I agree with nearly every play call Tressel made today. If Ohio State's massive offensive line can't get enough of a push on undersized Navy defenders to gain two yards on fourth down then hey don't deserve it. Plain and simple...

Haha, well the sky certainly isn't falling, this is still a top 10 team, but the game threw up some red flags for me.

It wasn't so much the final score of the game. OSU has a long history under Tressel of playing these types of games. Very rarely, if ever, does he lose to a team he's supposed to beat. But on the same hand, you'll see a lot of close calls.

The O-line concerned me, and big time. If we block like that next week, USC will decimate us. Also, the secondary was horrid, the linebackers are still feeling their way around, and the running backs are a SIGNIFICANT drop off from the days of Beanie.

I think as the season goes along, this team will get stronger. It's a very young team still finding its way. But that's NOT a good thing to be doing heading into a game against USC next week.

Chip R
09-06-2009, 10:32 AM

Sorry, that's UNI. University of Northern Iowa. NIU is in DeKalb, Illinois.

*BaseClogger*
09-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Uh huh. I'm sure you were just fine as they lined up for the 2 point conversion to tie. :rolleyes:

Even if they convert there (and 2-point attempts are historically converted at a rate below 50%) Ohio State was still going to get the ball with two minutes to work with and two time outs. All they would have needed was a field goal and their kicker had just hit a 52-yarder earlier in the game.

So yeah, I wasn't really concerned.

I don't care what he said at the press conference. I would have gone for it too. It was an opportunity to build some confidence and trust with his new team.

Two yards should be a given because of the massive advantage Ohio State had on the lines. When attempting a running play, the offensive team should always assume they can pick up two yards (especially when they have been averaging 4 yards per carry in the game thus far)...

*BaseClogger*
09-06-2009, 01:12 PM
Haha, well the sky certainly isn't falling, this is still a top 10 team, but the game threw up some red flags for me.

It wasn't so much the final score of the game. OSU has a long history under Tressel of playing these types of games. Very rarely, if ever, does he lose to a team he's supposed to beat. But on the same hand, you'll see a lot of close calls.

The O-line concerned me, and big time. If we block like that next week, USC will decimate us. Also, the secondary was horrid, the linebackers are still feeling their way around, and the running backs are a SIGNIFICANT drop off from the days of Beanie.

I think as the season goes along, this team will get stronger. It's a very young team still finding its way. But that's NOT a good thing to be doing heading into a game against USC next week.

I was concerned with the offensive-line on passing plays, as was evident when they tried Bauserman, but I thought the blocking was decent on running plays. They averaged 4 yards per carry.

Every member of the secondary played a great game outside of a horrible performance by Anderson Russell. I don't like you lumping my boy Kurt Coleman in with the others and saying he was "horrid".

I agree that the linebackers were weak, although another one of my favorite players, Brian Rolle, had a good game despite it's ups and downs.

And finally I agree the running backs weren't what we had last year (duh) but they played alright...

RichRed
09-06-2009, 01:25 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k78/meanhorn/OKkidcrying.jpg

That kid's REALLY sad about Jacksonville losing.

RichRed
09-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Then there was UVA losing to William & Mary and Duke losing to Richmond.

Shout-out to the CAA! In addition to these two games, Villanova beat Temple and UMass lost a close one to Kansas State. (Never mind what happened to Northeastern and Towson.) Hope my boys from JMU can put another hurt on the ACC by upsetting Maryland next week.

cincrazy
09-06-2009, 02:24 PM
I was concerned with the offensive-line on passing plays, as was evident when they tried Bauserman, but I thought the blocking was decent on running plays. They averaged 4 yards per carry.

Every member of the secondary played a great game outside of a horrible performance by Anderson Russell. I don't like you lumping my boy Kurt Coleman in with the others and saying he was "horrid".

I agree that the linebackers were weak, although another one of my favorite players, Brian Rolle, had a good game despite it's ups and downs.

And finally I agree the running backs weren't what we had last year (duh) but they played alright...

Well, Kurt Coleman is certainly solid, but he's a big drop-off from the guys we've had back there in the past. Donte Whitner, Mike Doss, etc. Coleman is an asset, I'm not arguing otherwise, but when he's the BEST player in your secondary, I don't think that's a good thing. And Anderson Russell is making a career out of getting beat deep.

But you're correct, Brian Rolle is going to be a stud. I just don't know how different we are from last year at this time, ya know? I still don't think we can run on USC. And I still don't think we can protect the passer. And when that's the case, it's really hard to beat a team like USC that is in constant attack mode.

traderumor
09-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Even if they convert there (and 2-point attempts are historically converted at a rate below 50%) Ohio State was still going to get the ball with two minutes to work with and two time outs. All they would have needed was a field goal and their kicker had just hit a 52-yarder earlier in the game.

So yeah, I wasn't really concerned.

I don't care what he said at the press conference. I would have gone for it too. It was an opportunity to build some confidence and trust with his new team.

Two yards should be a given because of the massive advantage Ohio State had on the lines. When attempting a running play, the offensive team should always assume they can pick up two yards (especially when they have been averaging 4 yards per carry in the game thus far)...I'm glad you are such a rock. Considering that they had just got caught with their pants down on a 99 yard drive and 85 yards in one play, then an interception, your confidence seems more like blind faith. I love the Buckeyes, but they were on the ropes, and it was primarily self-inflicted.

Chip R
09-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that ESPN is going to televise all of Syracuse's games with Dick Vitale as one of the announcers? ;)

11larkin11
09-06-2009, 11:35 PM
In order to win Saturday, tOSU has GOT to spread to the ball to the playmakers. Sanzo and Duron looked good, and with Posey back in there, it will be hard to cover all of them. Plus, I loved finally using the TEs, Ballard is a great checkdown for Pryor. Saine ran great and Boom got some tought yards. Defensively, we've got to get pressure. I think we can get pressure, and Barkley will make a few mistakes, along with a few nice plays. I think that will be a push, so its a neccessity that we put the pressure on their D.

Boston Red
09-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Colorado State with a nice upset win on the road in Boulder. The MWC is very strong this year.

*BaseClogger*
09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, Kurt Coleman is certainly solid, but he's a big drop-off from the guys we've had back there in the past. Donte Whitner, Mike Doss, etc.

You are greatly underrating Kurt Coleman, sir...

*BaseClogger*
09-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm glad you are such a rock. Considering that they had just got caught with their pants down on a 99 yard drive and 85 yards in one play, then an interception, your confidence seems more like blind faith. I love the Buckeyes, but they were on the ropes, and it was primarily self-inflicted.

I guess I just realized the math Navy was up against... ;)

BoydsOfSummer
09-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Bearcats rooooooolllliiinnnggg over Rutgers. The offense is clicking nicely. Defense aint looking to shabby either.

redsfandan
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
This what I don't get. One of the first threads in this forum is dedicated to the Kentucky Wildcats football season. Scroll down and there's NO thread dedicated to the UC football season listed among the threads active over the last three weeks. Where's the UC alumni?

Eric_the_Red
09-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Wow, was UC ever impressive today? Rutgers had no answer for their offense. 6 first half possessions, 4 TDs, 1 FG and 1 INT. That should get the 'Cats into the top 25.

dabvu2498
09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
This what I don't get. One of the first threads in this forum is dedicated to the Kentucky Wildcats football season. Scroll down and there's NO thread dedicated to the UC football season listed among the threads active over the last three weeks. Where's the UC alumni? Delivering pizzas? ;)

paintmered
09-07-2009, 09:49 PM
That was fun. :)

HeatherC1212
09-07-2009, 10:49 PM
That UC game was awesome! :D

cincrazy
09-08-2009, 01:14 AM
FSU-Miami was one hell of a game. If that game was any indication, but of those programs are going to rise back to prominence sooner rather than later. This was an absolute must win for Miami, their next three games are against Ga. Tech, VT, and Oklahoma. Yikes!

OnBaseMachine
09-08-2009, 04:43 PM
BYU has already beaten No. 3 Oklahoma and still have games remaining against Florida State, No. 16 TCU, and No. 17 Utah. If they go undefeated - and there's a decent chance they will - they deserve to play in the National Championship game. JMO.

Boston Red
09-08-2009, 05:01 PM
BYU has already beaten No. 3 Oklahoma and still have games remaining against Florida State, No. 16 TCU, and No. 17 Utah. If they go undefeated - and there's a decent chance they will - they deserve to play in the National Championship game. JMO.

FSU winning yesterday would have been big for them on that front.

BYU definitely benefits from the fact that none of those four games are road games (Oklahoma was in Dallas, but there were tons of BYU fans there; certainly different than the atmosphere would have been in Norman!).

BYU is looking for a legit national title to put with the one they got in '84 for winning the Holiday Bowl.

Slyder
09-12-2009, 05:04 PM
Can I start a new group for WVU football?

Coach Stew's looking like a return of older Don Nehlen beating cupcakes and going to a bowl with 8 wins and not beating anyone they arent suppose to.

I want to say I want Skip Holtz for next WVU head coach! Time to start fresh and young.

CrackerJack
09-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Houston giving #5 OSU a game up 17-7 near the end of the first half

ND has scored 14 straight and is up on Mich in Ann Arbor by 3

Beautiful day outside but lingering cold is perfect excuse to watch college fball the rest of the day/night. :)

reds1869
09-12-2009, 05:54 PM

Coach Stew's looking like a return of older Don Nehlen beating cupcakes and going to a bowl with 8 wins and not beating anyone they arent suppose to.

I want to say I want Skip Holtz for next WVU head coach! Time to start fresh and young.

That's better than my Herd. Coach Snyder's strategy in Huntington seems to be to spot the other team 500 yards or so. Today in Blacksburg has been just flat out ugly.

I agree with your assessment of Stewart. I think Skip Holtz would be a very good choice and won't be at ECU long unless they pour even more resources into the program..

Slyder
09-12-2009, 06:01 PM
In Stew's defense though, I am liking this fun and gun style of the second quarter.

CrackerJack
09-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Wow Houston up 24-7 now. Yikes OSU.

CrackerJack
09-12-2009, 07:44 PM
This Houston/OSU game is good old good one.

will5979
09-12-2009, 08:27 PM

Well, I don't like Barney Fiffe as a head coach, but as a person and an assistant he is one hell of a guy. I'll give him this one more year to prove himself before I call for his head on a platter! Even though I have been doing it for two years now! If we beat Auburn next week, we'll go to South Florida undefeated. Here to hoping for some luck and a great season. :beerme:

Highlifeman21
09-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm definitely taking pleasure in Notre Dame losing to Michigan.

Won't lie. Loving it.

HeatherC1212
09-12-2009, 09:11 PM
The UC game is starting off quite well. UC all ready up 21-3! :)

WMR
09-13-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm definitely taking pleasure in Notre Dame losing to Michigan.

Won't lie. Loving it.

They need to give Charlie Weis an extension.

dabvu2498
09-13-2009, 01:00 AM
South Carolina-Georgia was the best game of the night. And very few were watching.

KronoRed
09-13-2009, 01:05 AM
South Carolina-Georgia was the best game of the night. And very few were watching.

I was watching, I think the SC QB should have run for it at the end, that pass was a bad idea.

In ridiculous score news Steven F Austin beats Texas College 92-0, I had to dig to find that Texas College isn't even an NCAA school.

dabvu2498
09-13-2009, 01:09 AM
I was watching, I think the SC QB should have run for it at the end, that pass was a bad idea. In ridiculous score news Steven F Austin beats Texas College 92-0, I had to dig to find that Texas College isn't even an NCAA school. His tailback could have crawled to a 1st down if he had thrown to him in the flat. Hard to fault Garcia though. He was great.

Chip R
09-13-2009, 01:24 AM

I watched the 1st quarter and it was a barnburner.

OnBaseMachine
09-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I gotta admit, I'm worried about the USC-Washington game today. I could see UW pulling off the upset. Washington is one of the toughest environments to play in, plus Jake Locker scares the heck out of me. They actually outgained #11 LSU in total yards by quite a bit two weeks ago but ended up losing by a touchdown. I think Steve Sarkisian is going to turn that program around.

Highlifeman21
09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I gotta admit, I'm worried about the USC-Washington game today. I could see UW pulling off the upset. Washington is one of the toughest environments to play in, plus Jake Locker scares the heck out of me. They actually outgained #11 LSU in total yards by quite a bit two weeks ago but it ended up losing by a touchdown. I think Steve Sarkisian is going to turn that program around.

Plus you'd think that Sarkisian would know how to gameplan against USC's offense.

Jake Locker is the key to UW victory. He's no Tony Pike, but I think he's one of the best QBs in the country right now.

Razor Shines
09-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Did anyone see that hit in the Cal - Minn. game? The Cal player hit the Minn. player before he had a chance to catch the punt and went helmet to helmet with him. He was dancing around like he caused a fumble.

Revering4Blue
09-19-2009, 02:56 PM
It's going to be interesting to see what, if any, wrinkles are added to the USC offensive game plan to take advantage of QB Aaron Corp's athleticism. Remember, Corp only lost the starting QB job due to injury.

Sarkisian is handling Locker precisely the way he should.. Incorporating spread/option elements into his Pro-style offense.

Conversely, Lane Kiffen, the so-called offensive genius, could have done the same thing at UT with Tajh Boyd, who projects to be a top-flight college QB, but refused to even entertain the notion because Boyd doesn't fit his "system." Thus, Boyd transferred to Clemson and top QB target Jesse Scroggins is heading to USC next year.

OnBaseMachine
09-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I'm telling ya, Minnesota is going to win this game. Cal has dominated in totals yards but dumb penalties and a turnover has allowed Minnesota to stay in the game. I can't stand Cal, so hopefully Minnesota can pull this one out.

Razor Shines
09-19-2009, 03:33 PM
I'm telling ya, Minnesota is going to win this game. Cal has dominated in totals yards but dumb penalties and a turnover has allowed Minnesota to stay in the game. I can't stand Cal, so hopefully Minnesota can pull this one out.

Who cares if they win? They just need to cover the spread. :D

OnBaseMachine
09-19-2009, 04:09 PM
35-21 Cal with 2:20 remaining. I don't like Cal but Jahvid Best is fun to watch.

Eric Decker, the WR from Minnesota, is a stud. He's one of the better receivers I've seen this year.

HeatherC1212
09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
That Louisville-Kentucky game was insane! I was watching Cal-MN and it was back and forth, back and forth in every single game update. That's crazy. I can't believe Purdue lost today too! Is this the day of upsets?! :eek:

Happy to see the Buckeyes have a solid game against Toledo. Toledo seems to have a pretty solid offense but the Buckeye defense preserved the shutout. Good job! :D

AccordinglyReds
09-19-2009, 04:32 PM
Disappointing end to the UofL game, but they played pretty well....just came up short. Those 2 TOs killed them, though.

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 05:02 PM
Louisville stinks. Which means UK is likely in for a long season, too.

joshnky
09-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Louisville stinks. Which means UK is likely in for a long season, too.

UK fans were looking forward to seeing their vaunted defense stop Florida. Well, UofL moved the ball at will and was one muffed punt away from winning as 14 point dogs.

I feel better about the Cards now and think they'll win some games but I don't expect that UK feels good about what's coming next week.

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah, we'll know al lot more about both teams next week when Louisville goes to Utah and UK hosts Florida.

jmac
09-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Yeah, we'll know al lot more about both teams next week when Louisville goes to Utah and UK hosts Florida.

Not too many UK fans were expecting the Cats to have a chance against Florida regardless of how they played today. Probably not against Alabama either though I think they have a shot if all goes right.
As far as the muffed punt, stuff like that used to always happen "to" UK so it is nice to be on other end for a change. Cats didnt play their best and didnt run the CobbWildcat hardly at all and still won so I'll take it. Several years ago...UK would have lost this game.
I would hope they can pull out 1 of next 4 ( which would leave them 3-3) as the second half of schedule is much much easier.

As far as U of L, they played better than they showed in the first game but they have some very tough teams ahead as well.

Boston Red
09-19-2009, 05:39 PM
Tennessee making it a lot more interesting than expected at UF.

jmac
09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Tennessee making it a lot more interesting than expected at UF.

Controlling ball on the ground and keeping the clock moving. Good combination.

joshnky
09-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Cats didnt play their best and didnt run the CobbWildcat hardly at all

I was wondering about this. I don't think I saw Cobb lined up in Wildcat all game after hearing all week about how that formation would make the difference. Any ideas why? Although, I guess with the combination of UK not having the ball in the 3rd quarter and their ability to run at will, they might not have needed it.

jmac
09-19-2009, 07:06 PM
I was wondering about this. I don't think I saw Cobb lined up in Wildcat all game after hearing all week about how that formation would make the difference. Any ideas why? Although, I guess with the combination of UK not having the ball in the 3rd quarter and their ability to run at will, they might not have needed it.
Leach asked Brooks after the game about it and basically he said Cobb was too big a weapon at WR and they didnt want to move him out of that slot today.
I am like you in that I was and still am even after the explanation wondering about that move:dunno:

HeatherC1212
09-19-2009, 07:50 PM
USC gets beat by Washington! Final score: 16-13 :eek: I actually had a feeling this was going to happen today and I honestly have no clue why I felt that way, LOL :laugh:

dabvu2498
09-19-2009, 09:56 PM
The rain in Auburn falls mainly on the Plains. Some Biblical storms have them and WVU starting 2 hours late. Arky-UGa is a nasty little tussle so far. An ejection along with 3 unsportsmanlike penalties so far.

OnBaseMachine
09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
USC gets beat by Washington! Final score: 16-13 :eek: I actually had a feeling this was going to happen today and I honestly have no clue why I felt that way, LOL :laugh:

Me too. I knew it was coming. Washington actually has a very talented team, so this loss doesn't surprise me at all. I predicted USC will lose three, maybe four games this year and I still stand by that.

OnBaseMachine
09-26-2009, 04:51 PM
LOL at Mississippi State. Down 30-24 against LSU, Miss. St. had the ball at the LSU six inch yard line with a minute left and failed to score. That's horrible. Six inches. If you can't move the ball six inches in three tries then you shouldn't be playing football.

dabvu2498
09-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Miss St. is getting better though. There were some games last year when they were lucky to get 6 inches all game. They will get a win or two they shouldn't this year.

IslandRed
09-26-2009, 05:10 PM
Mississippi State's QB would have scored on fourth down if he'd extended the ball even a little, but he kept it tucked. In that situation, there's no difference between being stopped and fumbling, it's worth the risk.

The third-down play was just a great play by the LSU guy, running across the formation and getting a hand on the pass intended for a wide-open receiver.

kaldaniels
09-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Oregon giving Cal a striaght up beatdown. I did a doubletake when I saw the score.

Hoosier Red
09-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Note to officials, when two guys go to the ground each possessing the ball, it's a simultaneous possession and goes to the offense. When you have a chance to review that, do so and still miss the call I'm dumbfounded.

4 times since 1979 IU has had a chance to win a game in the Big House, each time a bad call at the end either gave Michigan a second chance, or as was the case today took away Indiana's last chance at winning the game.

LoganBuck
09-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Note to officials, when two guys go to the ground each possessing the ball, it's a simultaneous possession and goes to the offense. When you have a chance to review that, do so and still miss the call I'm dumbfounded.

4 times since 1979 IU has had a chance to win a game in the Big House, each time a bad call at the end either gave Michigan a second chance, or as was the case today took away Indiana's last chance at winning the game.

The fix was in today. Can't prove it, but that was among the most egregious calls I have ever seen. The Big Ten benefits from getting Michigan another win. Indiana not so much. What a joke.

schmidty622
09-26-2009, 10:08 PM
Tebow gets hit hard!

I am pleased.

cincrazy
09-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Tebow gets hit hard!

I am pleased.

That's a bit much...

I can't stand Florida, but it's not good to see a guy carted off the field like that.

Boston Red
09-26-2009, 11:05 PM
It wasn't so much the hit as the fact that he got kneed in the head on the way down.

And UK might have wanted to try that about two hours earlier than they did.

BRM
09-27-2009, 01:03 PM

I don't know if IU would have went on to win or not but I was furious at that call. Complete BS.

cumberlandreds
09-28-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't know if IU would have went on to win or not but I was furious at that call. Complete BS.

I agree a terrible call! They couldn't even get it right on the replay. That's the most disturbing thing of all about it. IU fans have every right to be furious over that.

Razor Shines
09-29-2009, 03:03 PM
The fix was in today. Can't prove it, but that was among the most egregious calls I have ever seen. The Big Ten benefits from getting Michigan another win. Indiana not so much. What a joke.

I've never been one to buy into conspiracies much, but I don't know what else to think when it comes to that call. If they wouldn't have reviewed it, I'd say well mistakes happen, but how anyone can watch a replay of that and still think it's an interception. The rules are pretty clear of what the call should have been.

Revering4Blue
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
I've never been one to buy into conspiracies much, but I don't know what else to think when it comes to that call. If they wouldn't have reviewed it, I'd say well mistakes happen, but how anyone can watch a replay of that and still think it's an interception. The rules are pretty clear of what the call should have been.

That is exactly how I feel.

But the Hoosiers need to start scoring TDs in the Red Zone against quality competition if they are to have any hope of a winning season.

The "Pistol" isn't going to be as effective inside the 20 with a slow dropback passer like Ben Chappell, IMO.

Zone reads/option runs by Mitchell Evans, who is doing his best to ensure that Hoosier fans will forget about Kellen Lewis, may be just the tonic for the Red Zone blues.

jmac
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Does anyone think they will ever change the celebration penalty in college ? Guys in the NFL can do most anything and it is okay. These kids who are playing on scholarship cant hardly do anything.
I am watching the LSU/Georgia game and Georgia is probably going to lose because their guy "glanced" toward the crowd after the go ahead touchdown. Which with them leading by 1, they had a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff. LSU went on to retake the lead.
Now as far as the game itself, it didnt matter to me who won, but overall I wish they would change that penalty as kids get excited after scoring and the refs dont let them doing anything.
They might as well lay the ball down and all walk calmly back to the sideline. Maybe the others here like it. I am just curious how others feel.

LoganBuck
10-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Does anyone think they will ever change the celebration penalty in college ? Guys in the NFL can do most anything and it is okay. These kids who are playing on scholarship cant hardly do anything.
I am watching the LSU/Georgia game and Georgia is probably going to lose because their guy "glanced" toward the crowd after the go ahead touchdown. Which with them leading by 1, they had a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff. LSU went on to retake the lead.
Now as far as the game itself, it didnt matter to me who won, but overall I wish they would change that penalty as kids get excited after scoring and the refs dont let them doing anything.
They might as well lay the ball down and all walk calmly back to the sideline. Maybe the others here like it. I am just curious how others feel.

It depends on how chirpy the players are leading up to that point. We often don't get to hear the things that are being said and done up to that point. I have been told before that it tends to be a cumulative thing. Was there an incident during the warmups? How about leading up to the flag? I didn't see it, but that tends to be how these things go.

cincrazy
10-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Miami up 21-10 right now on the Sooners.

Highlifeman21
10-05-2009, 10:29 AM

They called garbage celebration penalties against both Georgia and LSU late in the game.

Both times, the dude that scored the touchdown celebrated with his teammates and it wasn't even remotely excessive.

cumberlandreds
10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
They called garbage celebration penalties against both Georgia and LSU late in the game.

Both times, the dude that scored the touchdown celebrated with his teammates and it wasn't even remotely excessive.

I totally agree. The SEC is by far the worst about calling this penalty. I watch a lot games from all over the country and outside of the SEC it is rarely called. The SEC needs to get off their high horse on this and tell the officials never to call it unless a player or team blatantly trying to rub it in.

dabvu2498
10-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Not often you will hear anyone say this, but I would LOVE to be in Baton Rouge tonight.

MWM
10-10-2009, 05:48 PM
I'd love to attend a night game in Baton Rouge as well. Seems like one of the coolest atmospheres in all of college football.

I don't think there's any doubt Tebow is going to play. He was always going to play. It was a rough hit and no doubt a serious injury, but there was no way he was missing this game. I just hope we don't have to hear about it non-stop the entire game while the announcers fawn all over the guy about his guts and courage, etc... Thom isn't doing the game is he? :)

dabvu2498
10-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I'd love to attend a night game in Baton Rouge as well. Seems like one of the coolest atmospheres in all of college football.

I don't think there's any doubt Tebow is going to play. He was always going to play. It was a rough hit and no doubt a serious injury, but there was no way he was missing this game. I just hope we don't have to hear about it non-stop the entire game while the announcers fawn all over the guy about his guts and courage, etc... Thom isn't doing the game is he? :)

Baton Rouge is the only stadium I have ever felt scared in. Not scared that someone would physically harm me, but scared that the whole upper level was going to come down on us.

They were roasting whole Gators down there this morning.

Right about now is "recovery time" for most of those folks. By 8 they'll be ready to go again.

MWM
10-10-2009, 06:54 PM
LOL. College football is probably about all they have. They live for this time of year. And for the record, I don't think LSU is all that good, so I think Florida should handle them pretty well even in that atmosphere.

One of these years I'm going to tour and try to get to games in several of the stadiums down there. I think going to a game in Tuscaloosa would also be very cool. And The Pit in Gainseville would be a cool place to watch a game as well.

HeatherC1212
10-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Mad props to Ohio State's defense for totally owning the tOSU-WISC game today. They've been on the field for what seems like forever and yet Wisconsin only has 13 points and the defense has scored two TDs on interceptions. That's not too shabby for those guys although they have to be exhausted! :eek:

dabvu2498
10-10-2009, 08:35 PM
LOL. College football is probably about all they have. They live for this time of year. And for the record, I don't think LSU is all that good, so I think Florida should handle them pretty well even in that atmosphere.

One of these years I'm going to tour and try to get to games in several of the stadiums down there. I think going to a game in Tuscaloosa would also be very cool. And The Pit in Gainseville would be a cool place to watch a game as well.
LSU may be better than anybody thinks they are. Everyone says Miles is just lucky and every year they "luck" in to 9+ wins. They have studs all over the place.

I've hit every stadium in the SEC except Arkansas and Miss. St. Baton Rouge is by far the funnest.

I've only been to Tuscaloosa once. Very cool. Most of my Bama games were at old Legion Field in Birmingham. Not so nice.

Oxford, MS is the most underrated, along with Athens, Ga. Gainesville has just been hot when I've been there. And there's been no place to hide.

Auburn's neat also, especially the War Eagle.

MWM
10-11-2009, 12:05 AM
Oh yeah, Oxfrod would definitely be on my list based on what I've heard about that place.

My comments about LSU were this year specific, not their overall program. Tonight just confirmed it. They are dreadful on offense. Heck, they look like a Big Ten team on that side of the ball. :evil:

Florida is going to be tough to beat this year. They have a strong defense to go along with that potent offense. Playing in Baton Rouge is never easy, but the SEC doesn't have the depth this year it's had the previous few. They'll have to get by Alabama in the championship game which could be the game of the year and a very tough game. But Alabama is the only team on their schedule this whole season that had any real chance of beating them.

Looking over their schedule it's incredibly weak this year, almost like an Ohio State type of schedule. :) I think the only way to beat them is to use the Michigan example from two years ago. You've got to stop the run and put pressure on the QB. Tim Tebow is a helluva football player, but if they have to rely on him to win the game in the air they're going to struggle. Alabama might be the only team they play capable of doing that.

kaldaniels
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
I admittedly write this as an OSU fan, wanting to protect Archie's precious 2 Heismans.

Tim Tebow has not done enough so far to be a 2-time Heisman winner...despite him being the "big name" right now in college football.

MWM
10-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Well, to be fair to Tebow, that team is so loaded with talent from top to bottom that he doesn't need to do as much for them to win. I've watched him twice now this year and I would agree that if we didn't know his name and brand, there's nothing we've seen that would make anyone think he's even in consideration. At the same time, I don't think there's anyone out there who has distinguished all that much this year to jump to the top of the list. So I don't know who is deserving at this point.

I really believe Bradford had a chance to repeat had he not gotten hurt. In my opinion, he's the best QB in the country and is one of the better QBs we've seen the last handful of years. I've heard Claussen's name mentioned, but I'm not buying that one. Reesing from Kansas is interesting to me only because I'd love to see the trend towards consideration for players only from the top tier programs reversed. I hate that about the Heisman these days. Colt McCoy is the guy voters want to give it to this year and I think he's definitely worthy of the award, but he's not been as great this year as expected. I'd love to see some defensive players get into the mix.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Florida's defense has given up 2 touchdowns so far this year. They will make a lot of offenses look bad. But yeah, LSU needs a qb. It is a down year for qbs in the SEC, even with the emergence of Mallett at Arky and Todd showing signs of life at Auburn. Snead is proving to be overrated.

MWM
10-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Mallett could be Heisman worthy next year under Petrino. There's a reason he was one the top 2 QBs in the country coming out of high school. His decision to transfer is looking like a very smart one. Next week will be a good test for Florida's defense. Arkansas can move the ball. Florida's defense is impressive, but they've played nothing but bad offenses so far this year. It's not that I don't think they're legit, it's just that we don't know HOW legit until they face an offense worth something.

Alabama might just beat Florida this year. They're looking really good and Saban might be the only coach who can stand toe-to-toe with Florida. That game will be even bigger this year than last.

The national title game will be one of those two teams against Texas. Oklahoma could beat them, but Texas will be favored. If they win that game there's no one else capable of beating them.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 12:39 AM
Mark Ingram will be getting Heisman hype as the Tide keep rolling. Best rb in the country.

MWM
10-11-2009, 12:47 AM
I haven't watched Alabama this year yet other than highlights so I haven't seen him. It's wide open at this point. I'm not a big Nick Saban fan, but the guy can flat out coach college football. With him and Meyer both entrenched for the forseeable future, it's going to be tough going for the rest for the SEC over the next decade. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those two teams in the national title game almost every year.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Florida State used to play defense, right?

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 12:58 AM
Ingram is already over 1000 yards for the season. He has been 150+ in their 2 games vs. ranked opponents so far.

Cyclone792
10-11-2009, 01:10 AM
Based off what I've seen thus far this season, I think Florida, Alabama, Texas and Virginia Tech are the top four teams in the country. And now after today, they will all be ranked in the top four.

kaldaniels
10-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Based off what I've seen thus far this season, I think Florida, Alabama, Texas and Virginia Tech are the top four teams in the country. And now after today, they will all be ranked in the top four.

Fair enough opinion. The only possible exception is Texas...who frankly has not yet played a worthy opponent.

Cyclone792
10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Fair enough opinion. The only possible exception is Texas...who frankly has not yet played a worthy opponent.

Texas Tech was a solid win for them.

We'll find out for sure over the next three weeks since they've got Oklahoma, at Missouri and then at Oklahoma State waiting on them. Personally as a UC fan, I'm hoping Texas drops a game soon. I also realize if that's going to happen then it's likely going to happen within the next three weeks though. If not, then Texas likely runs the table.

AccordinglyReds
10-11-2009, 01:33 AM
Ah. UofL finally gets another win. (2-4) Nervous ending, though. Vic Anderson continues to amaze me, though I don't know why since I've watched him since high school. :)

:)

Revering4Blue
10-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Florida State used to play defense, right?

So much for the theory that Paul Johnson's triple-option attack wouldn't fly in a major conference. I'm surprised that schools which are regularly out-manned don't utilize it as an equalizer---I'm talking about you, Indiana.

kaldaniels
10-11-2009, 02:04 AM
Texas Tech was a solid win for them.

We'll find out for sure over the next three weeks since they've got Oklahoma, at Missouri and then at Oklahoma State waiting on them. Personally as a UC fan, I'm hoping Texas drops a game soon. I also realize if that's going to happen then it's likely going to happen within the next three weeks though. If not, then Texas likely runs the table.

You make a true point...the next few weeks will tell the story on Texas. However...Texas Tech an impressive win...I think not. Look at the Red Raiders schedule and who they have beat this year.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 10:30 AM
So much for the theory that Paul Johnson's triple-option attack wouldn't fly in a major conference. I'm surprised that schools which are regularly out-manned don't utilize it as an equalizer---I'm talking about you, Indiana. I am not sure GaTech is outmanned im the ACC. They have some studs on offense. Of course, most of them were brought in by Chan Gailey. It will be interesting to see if top recruits want to play in that system.

Revering4Blue
10-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I am not sure GaTech is outmanned im the ACC. They have some studs on offense. Of course, most of them were brought in by Chan Gailey. It will be interesting to see if top recruits want to play in that system.

Ga Tech is definitely not outmanned at all, thanks to Chan Gailey. I agree with you there.

Still, this offense, while considered a gridiron geezer by some, is a pain in the neck to defend if executed properly. Defenses rarely see it. It is a cross between the flexbone and the under center run and shoot. Stack the box, and you get burned through the air.

I was referring to schools such as Duke, Washington State, Vandy and I.U as out-manned regularly in major conferences as teams that may stand to benefit from implementing such an attack, at least as a supplement.

Come to think of it, with the preponderance of spread-option offenses out there run from the shotgun as opposed to a QB under center, I'm not so sure that even, as an example, Ohio State with Terrel Pryor wouldn't benefit from such a formation, but only as supplement, not as a base offense.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Ga Tech is definitely not outmanned at all, thanks to Chan Gailey. I agree with you there. Still, this offense, while considered a gridiron geezer by some, is a pain in the neck to defend if executed properly. Defenses rarely see it. It is a cross between the flexbone and the under center run and shoot. Stack the box, and you get burned through the air. I was referring to schools such as Duke, Washington State, Vandy and I.U as out-manned regularly in major conferences as teams that may stand to benefit from implementing such an attack, at least as a supplement. Come to think of it, with the preponderance of spread-option offenses out there run from the shotgun as opposed to a QB under center, I'm not so sure that even, as an example, Ohio State with Terrel Pryor wouldn't benefit from such a formation, but only as supplement, not as a base offense. Funny, part of the rationale for the original spread/run and shoot was that certain programs were outmanned at o-line.

dabvu2498
10-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Btw, DiNardo tried triple option at Vandy back in the day. No good! Allegedly, Bobby Johnson was an option guy when he was at Furman.

Chip R
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I think, if you have the right personnel, you could run any offense and win. Look at the Spread. It's basically a 21st century version of the Single Wing only they throw more now than they did then.

Revering4Blue
10-14-2009, 11:16 PM
According to NFL Network's Mike Lombardi, the University of Louisville has serious interest in former Buccaneers coach Jon Gruden.

The Cardinals have bottomed out under Steve Kragthorpe, who replaced Bobby Petrino prior to Petrino's brief Falcons stint. Lombardi notes that Louisville asked Kragthorpe to accept a buyout last year, but he refused. Gruden will have plenty of opportunities in the NFL next offseason. He seems unlikely to enter the college ranks at any school other than Notre Dame.

http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=244

kaldaniels
10-15-2009, 01:28 AM
I seriously hope this love for Boise State in the polls comes to a quick end. I tip my hat to them for beating Oklahoma in the 2006 season bowl game...but other than what have they done since the start of that 2006 season...they have beaten Oregon twice and dominated a very weak conference.

They are a well coached team that plays to the best that their schedule and conference allows...but they do not deserve to be a top-5 team.

Pollsters love for BSU....just go away.

joshnky
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=244

Not going to happen and I really don't want it to. He has never coached in college so he has never recruited. Also, if he did win he wouldn't stick around long at Louisville.

To further refute this quote, I'm not buying that Kragthorpe rejected a buyout. I haven't heard that from any of the local reporters and Jurich spent all off season telling everyone that he supported the coach.

Revering4Blue
10-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Zook safe through 2010?
Posted by John Taylor on October 24, 2009 8:53 AM ET
(I'll allow Illini fans to gather their thoughts for a moment before continuing...)

Whenever 2009 coaching hot seats are discussed and debated, the conversation will usually have a good chunk of its time devoted to Ron Zook and his floundering Illinois football program. Aside from a Rose Bowl berth in 2007, the Zookster has done nothing in Champaign. Unless, of course, you consider 2-9, 2-10, 5-7 and 1-5 (thus far) a raging cauldron of success and foundation building.

Based on the sheer stank of those numbers, one would have to assume that Zook is perilously close to losing his job following the 2009 season. If not, you know, this weekend.

According to Glen Mason of the Big Ten Network, one would be wrong with that line of thinking.

Mason spoke with Illini athletic director Ron Guenther very recently, and the AD told Mason that not only will Zook survive this season, but he will be back for the 2010 season as well. Perhaps to drive home the point, Mason said Guenther was "emphatic" that Zook would return next year.

Mason went on to say that Guenther understands there are problems and issues with the football program, but believes that Zook is the coach to right those wrongs that he created.

Uhhh, sure. Whatever you say Mr. Guenther.

On a brighter note, we have may just set a new world's record for most people in the State of Illinois simultaneously throwing up in their mouths a little bit. Especially when they are reminded of the fact that Zook still has four years remaining on his contract after this season, which likely has a huge bearing on Guenther's steadfastness.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/24/zook-safe-through-2010/

dabvu2498
10-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Zook=misery. On a completely unrelated note, GaTech is fun to watch. I don't know if this would even be possible, but I would love to watch them matched up with TxTech or Okie St. in a bowl game.

Slyder
10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
West Virginia needs to take their defensive unit and make them run through the gauntlet, weve lost at least 3 turnovers back to the other team this year on fumbles.

*BaseClogger*
10-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Zook=misery. On a completely unrelated note, GaTech is fun to watch. I don't know if this would even be possible, but I would love to watch them matched up with TxTech or Okie St. in a bowl game.

I agree so much. I'd love to see the triple-option catch on with a few more programs because it is a blast to watch...

KronoRed
10-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Zook=misery.

He's just not a good head coach, I found it shocking when Illinois hired him

Chip R
10-24-2009, 06:06 PM
This just in: Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln with their 3rd string QB.

dabvu2498
10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
He's just not a good head coach, I found it shocking when Illinois hired him I was surprised when Florida hired him, much less that somebody gave him a 2nd chance.

will5979
10-24-2009, 06:18 PM
West Virginia needs to take their defensive unit and make them run through the gauntlet, weve lost at least 3 turnovers back to the other team this year on fumbles.

Emotional game in Mo-town today. I proud that my team was part of that great game. Granted the athleticism was sloppy on both parts but that was one of the greatest games ever at Mteer Field. Go Eers!

traderumor
10-24-2009, 07:12 PM
This just in: Iowa State beat Nebraska in Lincoln with their 3rd string QB.All whining Buckeyes fans should look at this and let it stop their mouths. Nebraska had a long, championship caliber run. I'm sure many will "but, but, but, its different" but enjoy the run when you have someone running a good program. He might be gone someday and the next hire(s) might not go so well.

dabvu2498
10-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I bet Lane Kiffin is jealous of his dad being on tv so much. That said, they're going to be good again soon and that will make me sick.

MWM
10-24-2009, 09:54 PM
I don't know if the impact of the injury to Tebow is greater than has been let on, but I think this is his worst season of the 3 he's been a starter. I've watched the entire first half of the game tonight against MSU and if no one knew who this guy was beforehand, I think folks would be wondering if he's going to be replaced in the second half. He's looked very average at best. And he's not looked like anything special most of this season. He looked much better each of the past two seasons.

Of course when Saint Tim is involved, the commentators are blaming that ugly pick 6 on the fact that he's "so incredibly competitive that he never wants to give up on a play".

Spring~Fields
10-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Let’s see, Ohio State plays one or two good football programs a year and they have had a good run. Well, I guess with the competition that they mainly play, the record should look like they’ve had a good run. A good run against mainly weaker opponents, I would have to agree with that. I wonder who is on next years road kill list, Wittenberg, Wright State, University of Dayton, Lima High ?

2009 2008 2007
Navy Youngstown State Youngstown State
USC Lost Ohio Akron
Toledo USC Lost Washington
Illinois Troy Northwestern
Indiana Minnesota Minnesota
Wisconsin Wisconsin Purdue
Purdue Lost Purdue Kent State
Minnesota Michigan State Michigan State
New Mexico State Penn State Lost Penn State
Penn State Northwestern Wisconsin
Iowa Illinois Illinois
Michigan Michigan Michigan

2006 2005 2004
Northern Illinois Miami (OH) Cincinnati
Texas Texas Lost Marshall
Cincinnati San Diego State North Carolina State
Penn State Iowa Northwestern Lost
Iowa Penn State Lost Wisconsin Lost
Bowling Green Michigan State Iowa Lost
Michigan State Indiana Indiana
Indiana Minnesota Penn State
Minnesota Illinois Michigan State
Illinois Lost Northwestern Purdue Lost
Northwestern Michigan Michigan
Michigan

guttle11
10-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I think someone (^) is a little obsessed.

I agree with you, MWM. Tebow has been rather ordinary this year. I don't think it's just the injury. It goes to show just how good Harvin and Murphy were. When the defense has to commit 4-5 DBs to contain them it's pretty easy to run the ball. And without them blowing by everyone for easy TDs Tebow is being forced to actually throw downfield accurately, and he's really not doing it at all. He's become a screen based quarterback. Florida's offense as a whole this year looks to be way down. Unfortunately Alabama's offense is worse, so it looks like we'll be hearing Thom Brennaman gushing about Dr. Tebow, esq.

I laughed earlier when the analyst praised him for his clutch drive leading Florida to a win last week. He completed like two passes. It was Rainey runs and horrible penalties that set them up for the winning field goal.

Tebow is stealing Jeter's clutchness!

HeatherC1212
10-24-2009, 11:10 PM
I would rather hear them talk about Tebow a ton than hear everyone glorify saint Jeter which got old for me about ten years ago. :bang:

That Clemson-Miami FL game earlier today was crazy. It was back and forth pretty much the whole game and then, just when you think Clemson is going to settle for the tie to stay in overtime, they come up with a huge TD and win the game! I saw the highlights and the end of this game after the PSU-Michigan game today and I wished they had shown that game in my area instead of the other one because watching PSU blow out Michigan, while fun to see as a Buckeye fan ;), wasn't all that exciting as a college football fan.

cincrazy
10-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Let’s see, Ohio State plays one or two good football programs a year and they have had a good run. Well, I guess with the competition that they mainly play, the record should look like they’ve had a good run. A good run against mainly weaker opponents, I would have to agree with that. I wonder who is on next years road kill list, Wittenberg, Wright State, University of Dayton, Lima High ?

2009 2008 2007
Navy Youngstown State Youngstown State
USC Lost Ohio Akron
Toledo USC Lost Washington
Illinois Troy Northwestern
Indiana Minnesota Minnesota
Wisconsin Wisconsin Purdue
Purdue Lost Purdue Kent State
Minnesota Michigan State Michigan State
New Mexico State Penn State Lost Penn State
Penn State Northwestern Wisconsin
Iowa Illinois Illinois
Michigan Michigan Michigan

2006 2005 2004
Northern Illinois Miami (OH) Cincinnati
Texas Texas Lost Marshall
Cincinnati San Diego State North Carolina State
Penn State Iowa Northwestern Lost
Iowa Penn State Lost Wisconsin Lost
Bowling Green Michigan State Iowa Lost
Michigan State Indiana Indiana
Indiana Minnesota Penn State
Minnesota Illinois Michigan State
Illinois Lost Northwestern Purdue Lost
Northwestern Michigan Michigan
Michigan

You seriously wouldn't call Tressel's tenure here a good run? What would he have to do, win ALL of his games?

cincrazy
10-24-2009, 11:33 PM
And btw, I admit that OSU hasn't been streling the last few years, that much is obvious. But I really don't think the previous several years were a "fluke" or a product of playing "nobody." Those teams were GOOD, regardless of the outcome of the Florida game.

Spring~Fields
10-24-2009, 11:43 PM
You seriously wouldn't call Tressel's tenure here a good run? What would he have to do, win ALL of his games?

Might help if Ohio State actually played several good teams a year and won, now that would be impressive.

Sure Ohio State has had a good run against lower division schools, and weaker Big Ten opponents. Is "good" appropriate use of the term under those conditions?

You don't think that the weak Big Ten has aided that run any? How about those lower division schools?

Note that I am not talking about Tressel the citizen or man, I am talking about Ohio States chronic weak scheduling and looking good feasting off bad teams. I also don't care what the other college teams schedule. I will think my Buckeyes are good when they actually beat some good teams and I don't mean one or two a year.

Watch out they might schedule Northeastern next. Then you and GAC will be in a real rooting pickle. :evil:

cincrazy
10-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Might help if Ohio State actually played several good teams a year and won, now that would be impressive.

Sure Ohio State has had a good run against lower division schools, and weaker Big Ten opponents. Is "good" appropriate use of the term under those conditions?

You don't think that the weak Big Ten has aided that run any? How about those lower division schools?

Note that I am not talking about Tressel the citizen or man, I am talking about Ohio States chronic weak scheduling and looking good feasting off bad teams. I also don't care what the other college teams schedule. I will think my Buckeyes are good when they actually beat some good teams and I don't mean one or two a year.

Watch out they might schedule Northeastern next. Then you and GAC will be in a real rooting pickle. :evil:

I understand your point, I just think we disagree as to how much the weakened Big 10 has affected their streak. It's certainly been a factor. But to go as long as they did, FIVE YEARS, without losing to an unranked team... I mean, that's still an incredible streak. They beat the good teams out of conference that they played for a number of years until the end of the year against Florida in Janauary of 2007. And since then, clearly they haven't won one, but if the Texas and USC games get a bounce of the ball in the other direction, we're not having this conversation.

So, the weak Big 10 has certainly played a role. But IMO, the weak SEC will play a role in Florida going undefeated into the SEC title game. What's ironic is an SEC team could get exposed in the title game this year because of beating up on a weak conference ;).

guttle11
10-25-2009, 12:17 AM
How can Ohio State control the strength of the Big Ten? Were they supposed to see the Big Ten decline a decade in advance and schedule Georgia, LSU, or Oregon?

"Lower division schools"? As in Youngstown State, the school nearly every OSU fan was upset about being on the schedule? That one school. Go look at all the teams that consistently play "lower division schools". Many of the "powers" average nearly one per year. OSU's played 2 games in decades.

Nevermind that they step out and play Texas and USC the last 4 years, and will play Miami, Cincinnati, VT, Tennessee, and Oklahoma in the coming decade. Clearly they wish to sit back and coast to 10 win seasons.

They've ended the regular season inside the BCS top ten every year since 2005, and only out of the top 5 once in that time frame. That's a system designed to reward teams that win lots of games against quality competition, in case you forgot.

D-Man
10-25-2009, 12:24 AM
I don't know if the impact of the injury to Tebow is greater than has been let on, but I think this is his worst season of the 3 he's been a starter. I've watched the entire first half of the game tonight against MSU and if no one knew who this guy was beforehand, I think folks would be wondering if he's going to be replaced in the second half. He's looked very average at best. And he's not looked like anything special most of this season. He looked much better each of the past two seasons.

Of course when Saint Tim is involved, the commentators are blaming that ugly pick 6 on the fact that he's "so incredibly competitive that he never wants to give up on a play".

Totally agree.

Ironically enough, this Florida team is following the season arc of Ohio State's 2006 squad. They were preseason darlings, they are heavy favorites in every game they play, they have a Heisman QB. . . They've played a relatively weak schedule (compare Florida's sked this year to Iowa's) and run up the score against inferior opponents. They're also slated for a #1 vs. #2 conference championship matchup. The SEC East is notably weak, much like the 2006 Big Ten. [On the other hand, this Florida defense is much better than Ohio State's was.]

I think Tebow and Florida are due for late-season trouble.

MWM
10-25-2009, 12:38 AM
I agree with the comment about Harvin and Murphy and said as much last year. i always thought harvin was the engine that powered that offense and Lord Tim got all the glory. I've just never watched a game where he's done things that make me say "wow, that guy is special" like I have so many other players over the years. His level of hype has even surpassed Jeter and Tom Brady, although both of those guys are much more deserving, IMO. I've never seen a player in any sport hyped this much where I just completely missed it. At least with jeter and Brady I could see where it was coming from and could understand to some degree why they received it. With Tim I must be completely missing something. I've never seen it with my eyes. But I'd bet everything I own that he'll be in the top 3 in Heisman voting this year. That's the power of a brand (something I know a little about as my career is in brand management).

dabvu2498
10-25-2009, 05:13 AM
Tebow will leave Florida as the SEC's career rushing touchdown leader and will likely finish 2nd or 3rd in career passing touchdowns. 2 (maybe 3) National Championships. 42-6 W-L record (29-5 as a starter). Played through injuries. Been a great ambassador for his program, school, and sport.

There's a lot to like there.

Not trying to go "all Thom Brennaman," but the kid is pretty special. And believe me, I loathe Florida.

Spring~Fields
10-25-2009, 09:23 AM
And btw, I admit that OSU hasn't been streling the last few years, that much is obvious. But I really don't think the previous several years were a "fluke" or a product of playing "nobody." Those teams were GOOD, regardless of the outcome of the Florida game.

I know you to be honest to the best of your ability. I have read you enough to discern that, or at least I want to think I have.

Look at it from this angle.

1.) I have noticed that you can select about 80% winners with consistency when involved in GAC’s picking contest.

2.) Suppose you already had the schedule of Ohio State for the next three seasons 2010, 2011, 2012.

3.) Their schedules for those seasons alone, just the schedule.

4.) No offense or defense stats for Ohio State or their opponents for any of those future seasons. You don’t even know who is on the teams.

5.) Since they haven’t played anyone, you won’t know who they won or lost against.
You know nothing of their performances or practices, you don’t even have an injury report. You simply can’t have any information on those future teams of 2010, 2011, or 2012.

They don’t even exist yet.

Yet armed with just Ohio States schedules I am going to say that with schedules alone you will be able to pick the majority of Ohio States wins for the 2010, 2011, 2012 seasons now in 2009.

You will be able to select right now, at least 8-10 of those Ohio State wins for each of the future seasons with nothing but a schedule to work with.

How can you or the majority of us, if interested or motivated, do that ?

Because you know that the competition on those future schedules traditionally have weaker football schools, and can feel comfortable picking Ohio State the majority of times over them.

So who or what did they beat in that future good run? Not much.

Answer the following question from above, and I will think that you go beyond traditional fan bias, if you answer sincerely.

How can you or the majority of us, if interested or motivated, do that ? Pick those future wins?

On a different level, I just can't bring myself to say that a group of 14 year old boys beating a group of 12 year old boys, to be a good run for the group of 14 year olds.

cincrazy
10-25-2009, 10:37 AM
I know you to be honest to the best of your ability. I have read you enough to discern that, or at least I want to think I have.

Look at it from this angle.

1.) I have noticed that you can select about 80% winners with consistency when involved in GAC’s picking contest.

2.) Suppose you already had the schedule of Ohio State for the next three seasons 2010, 2011, 2012.

3.) Their schedules for those seasons alone, just the schedule.

4.) No offense or defense stats for Ohio State or their opponents for any of those future seasons. You don’t even know who is on the teams.

5.) Since they haven’t played anyone, you won’t know who they won or lost against.
You know nothing of their performances or practices, you don’t even have an injury report. You simply can’t have any information on those future teams of 2010, 2011, or 2012.

They don’t even exist yet.

Yet armed with just Ohio States schedules I am going to say that with schedules alone you will be able to pick the majority of Ohio States wins for the 2010, 2011, 2012 seasons now in 2009.

You will be able to select right now, at least 8-10 of those Ohio State wins for each of the future seasons with nothing but a schedule to work with.

How can you or the majority of us, if interested or motivated, do that ?

Because you know that the competition on those future schedules traditionally have weaker football schools, and can feel comfortable picking Ohio State the majority of times over them.

So who or what did they beat in that future good run? Not much.

Answer the following question from above, and I will think that you go beyond traditional fan bias, if you answer sincerely.

How can you or the majority of us, if interested or motivated, do that ? Pick those future wins?

On a different level, I just can't bring myself to say that a group of 14 year old boys beating a group of 12 year old boys, to be a good run for the group of 14 year olds.

They have the Hurricanes coming up... they consistently schedule teams from outside of the conference who are powerhouses. Who does Florida play? Charleston Southern?

With any powerhouse football school, you could point to the schedule and pretty much guarantee a set amount of wins. That's not just OSU we're talking about, it's every other perennial top 10 team.

And this stuff is cylical. The Big 10 is down now, we all know that. But it wasn't too long ago that Michigan was a power, Purdue had Drew Brees, Wisconsin Ron Dayne, and so on and so forth.

Look at the SEC right now. Who has Florida played this year? LSU? That's their toughest win? LSU is getting by on reputation only right now, they're vastly overrated. Is Florida's schedule a product of their unddefeated record? I don't know, I can't say that for sure. The bottom line is, they're winning their games. And clearly this shows I'm unbiased, because I hate Florida and would love to trash them right now :).

I just think that OSU is doing all they can to make their schedule tough. Texas, USC, Miami, Cal I think is on the horizon, Virginia Tech. So they schedule a couple of weak schools, that's college football, EVERYONE does that. Sure I'd rather see them play a decent big school, but that isn't the reality of the business. Show me a top program that does it differently. You won't find one.

They can't control the strength of the Big 10, clearly. But they can control their out of conference schedule, and they do a pretty darn good job with that.

Also, in regards to their recent run, they beat one of the greatest teams of this generation in Miami, they demolished Notre Dame, who many were touting as a very good team at the time, but now conveniently they were a horrible team that year that had an unddeserving spot in the game. That's the same Notre Dame team that came within a B.S. call of beating USC, and the same OSU team that came within a dropped Ryan Hamby pass of beating the national champion Longhorns that year. So was Notre Dame really that bad that year? The Bucks beat a good Kansas State team, an unddefeated Michigan team, as well as several other really, really, really good Wolverine squads.

I find it kind of sad that ONE 3-9 season from Michigan seemingly wipes out an entire decade of good football. All of a sudden they've been horrible all along?

Bottom line is, this Buckeyes team has earned every bit of success they've achieved under Tressel :thumbup:.

And my 80% success rate in picking games was last year. This year my success rate rivals that of former Bengals coach Dave Shula.

Tony Cloninger
10-25-2009, 11:50 AM
I still think USC should be in the Top 3....I think Florida, especially when Tebow is on but even with him being average ..is still Number 1.

I really cannot say that in my eyes.. Alabama is better than USC.
UC i think should be 3rd or 4th. Iowa is winning but do they really impress you?

Being from out in the LA area ...I do not understand sometimes why the SEC is given the hands down winner as the best conference while the Pac 10 is looked at as almost being some version of the WAC. I guess the really bad teams in the Pac 10 drag the whole conference down.

I also have discovered another new... annoying term coined by the ESPN guys? or was it someone else but it had to be a lazy sportswriter who cannot say... "Interception returned for a touchdown."

Pick 6? Yeah that is cute for about maybe the one time you here it.

MWM
10-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Tebow will leave Florida as the SEC's career rushing touchdown leader and will likely finish 2nd or 3rd in career passing touchdowns. 2 (maybe 3) National Championships. 42-6 W-L record (29-5 as a starter). Played through injuries. Been a great ambassador for his program, school, and sport.

There's a lot to like there.

Not trying to go "all Thom Brennaman," but the kid is pretty special. And believe me, I loathe Florida.

But that's all statistical. I've watched a lot of Tim Tebow and have never seen a "special" player. I've seen a guy but his head down and get a lot of 4 yard runs, and that's how a lot of his TDs came. I've seen him throw a lot of quiick slants or deep balls to wide open receivers. In College Football especially statistics really don't tell you much as there have been many a player put up gigantic numbers because they played in systems that allowed it and were a starter for 3-4 years. Look at the numbers David Klinler put up. Graham Harrell at Texas Tech put up ridiculous numbers yet he was never even in the Heisman conversation as folks had no problem dismissing it as a result of the system. And of all the stats to look at, TDs is probably the most misleading. The year he won the Heisman he had a HUGE number of those TDs inside 3 yards. To me, that's not indicative of any kind of special player. TD numbers are even worse than RBIs for baseball players.

I agree completely with him being a great ambassador and I've said as much in the past. I like Tebow and think he's a great example of what a college football student athlete should be. He seems to be a genuinely class guy and I've always been someone who appreciates that from athletes. So some might think the way I've gone on about him means I just don't like the guy and want to belittle his accomplishements. That's not the case at all. I've just watched a lot of the guy and have never seen a special player. When I watched Carson Palmer his last year at USC, it was clear this guy was an incredible player. Same for Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden. Those guys would do things that you didn't see very often. Heck, even watching Bradford last year I knew I was watching an incredible college QB. Danny Wuerffel was amazing to watch in college. The guy could pick a defense apart and throw the ball to the right spot every time. He benefitted from a system, but I always thought he was something special still. The list could go on for a while. Hell, Percy Harvin was a s special player. I've watched a lot of college football over the past 20 years and if I thought Tebow was one of those guys, I'd gladly say it. I just don't see it.

IMO, Tebow is a guy in a perfect situation for him and getting a lot more credit for his team's accomplishments than he should. But would Tim Tebow still be a great QB in a different kind of system? I don't believe so. We've seen this year what happens when he's relied upon to be the main weapon in the offense. Seriously, if no one knew who he was and watched last night's game, I think the consensus would be that he was nothing more than an average player. Now I know he's much better than that, so I'm not suggesting he's average. I'm only suggesting that if you took him out of the Florida system, he'd be decent but nothing special. When you take away the Percy Harvin's of the world, he's all of a sudden not so special anymore. That's how I see it. I think a lot of guys could become a "great" QB in Meyer's system. And I think guys like Bradford or McCoy could be great in a lot of offensive systems. I know if I were recruiting a QB for college, either of those guys and even Claussen would be higher on my list than Tebow. I don't think it's disrespecting Tebow as much as it is actually giving adequate recognition to a guy like Percy Harvin. That guy was one hell of a college football player. He was pretty special. Yet to the masses across the country I don't think he's recognized as such because all anyone seems to talk about with Florida was Tebow. I'd even venture to say that he was the team's MVP last year.

cincrazy
10-25-2009, 12:48 PM
But that's all statistical. I've watched a lot of Tim Tebow and have never seen a "special" player. I've seen a guy but his head down and get a lot of 4 yard runs, and that's how a lot of his TDs came. I've seen him throw a lot of quiick slants or deep balls to wide open receivers. In College Football especially statistics really don't tell you much as there have been many a player put up gigantic numbers because they played in systems that allowed it and were a starter for 3-4 years. Look at the numbers David Klinler put up. Graham Harrell at Texas Tech put up ridiculous numbers yet he was never even in the Heisman conversation as folks had no problem dismissing it as a result of the system. And of all the stats to look at, TDs is probably the most misleading. The year he won the Heisman he had a HUGE number of those TDs inside 3 yards. To me, that's not indicative of any kind of special player. TD numbers are even worse than RBIs for baseball players.

I agree completely with him being a great ambassador and I've said as much in the past. I like Tebow and think he's a great example of what a college football student athlete should be. He seems to be a genuinely class guy and I've always been someone who appreciates that from athletes. So some might think the way I've gone on about him means I just don't like the guy and want to belittle his accomplishements. That's not the case at all. I've just watched a lot of the guy and have never seen a special player. When I watched Carson Palmer his last year at USC, it was clear this guy was an incredible player. Same for Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden. Those guys would do things that you didn't see very often. Heck, even watching Bradford last year I knew I was watching an incredible college QB. Danny Wuerffel was amazing to watch in college. The guy could pick a defense apart and throw the ball to the right spot every time. He benefitted from a system, but I always thought he was something special still. The list could go on for a while. Hell, Percy Harvin was a s special player. I've watched a lot of college football over the past 20 years and if I thought Tebow was one of those guys, I'd gladly say it. I just don't see it.

IMO, Tebow is a guy in a perfect situation for him and getting a lot more credit for his team's accomplishments than he should. But would Tim Tebow still be a great QB in a different kind of system? I don't believe so. We've seen this year what happens when he's relied upon to be the main weapon in the offense. Seriously, if no one knew who he was and watched last night's game, I think the consensus would be that he was nothing more than an average player. Now I know he's much better than that, so I'm not suggesting he's average. I'm only suggesting that if you took him out of the Florida system, he'd be decent but nothing special. When you take away the Percy Harvin's of the world, he's all of a sudden not so special anymore. That's how I see it. I think a lot of guys could become a "great" QB in Meyer's system. And I think guys like Bradford or McCoy could be great in a lot of offensive systems. I know if I were recruiting a QB for college, either of those guys and even Claussen would be higher on my list than Tebow. I don't think it's disrespecting Tebow as much as it is actually giving adequate recognition to a guy like Percy Harvin. That guy was one hell of a college football player. He was pretty special. Yet to the masses across the country I don't think he's recognized as such because all anyone seems to talk about with Florida was Tebow. I'd even venture to say that he was the team's MVP last year.

Awesome post.

Tim Tebow is a good QB in a GREAT system. That's taking nothing away from Tebow. Just stating a fact.

I'm by no means a scout, so I could be wrong on this, but it seems like he has a very slow windup in terms of getting rid of the ball. Also, his passes also come out wobbly and inaccurate. But when you have guys open by 10 yards, it doesn't really matter.

In the NFL, they'll chew him up and spit him out.

paintmered
10-25-2009, 10:23 PM

If you want to see a weak out-of-conference schedule, look at Rutgers:

Florida International
Howard
Maryland
Texas Southern
Army

They'll play anybody anywhere. :laugh:

dabvu2498
10-25-2009, 11:47 PM
But that's all statistical.

And of all the stats to look at, TDs is probably the most misleading. The year he won the Heisman he had a HUGE number of those TDs inside 3 yards. To me, that's not indicative of any kind of special player. TD numbers are even worse than RBIs for baseball players.
So what do we base accolades and attention from if we don't use statistics? Pure skill? CJ Spiller for Heisman? And if we don't use TDs, what do we use? Yardage? Case Keenum for Heisman?

Those guys would do things that you didn't see very often.

How often do you see a player who is likely the best short-yardage back in the country also have a 66% completion percentage? That's a pretty special skill set.

I think Florida's system is what it is, in large part, due to what Tebow is. They'll look alot different without him next year. You think Harvin, et al, would've had the space to run on the edges if Tebow wasn't such a threat to put "his head down and get a lot of 4 yard runs"?

And if Tebow wasn't playing in a system that took advantage of his skill set, he'd be Terrelle Pryor.

And you're right, Harvin may have been Florida's MVP last year, if he hadn't missed the better part of 4 games, including the SEC Championship game, all of which they won.

His skill set is not terribly likely to translate to greatness at the NFL level, but that doesn't mean he's not a great college player.

And I haven't even brought up the "intangilbles," for whatever they're worth.

Ew... I just spent a lot of time defending Tebow. Must go shower now.

MWM
10-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I just don't see it. I'm certainly not going to gauge a players greatness on their ability to plunge 3 yards at a time. I don't see that as a special skill even if it is accompanied by the ability to throw the ball. He's the short yardage guy out of necessity because they haven't really had over his time there. So it's such a unique skill set because there's never really been a need for it.

Reggie Bush might not be a great NFL player, but he was special in college and it was obvious by watching him. I have no idea how many TDs he scored, but I doubt his totals put him in elite company. If someone is consistetnly breaking long TD runs, I can understand the fascination with it. But I just don't think plunging in from a few yards is something spectacular. Vince Young was a better runner than Tebow and threw pretty much as well as him. There have been plenty of running QBs throughou history that could throw every bit as well and a lot of times better than Tebow. Football is a very aesthetic sport. IF he were really one of the special players we've seen, it shouldn't be hard to see it.... especially when he plays QB. It's not like baseball where sometimes a player's skillset is underappreciated until you look at their stat line. I can't think of another example of a great QB where it wasn't clear by watching them.

And if Tebow was the driver of the offense and the reason why a guy like Harvin was allowed to do the things he did, how do explain how pedestrian Tebow has looked this year? If Tebow was one of the all time great college QBs, that offense should not have missed a beat this year. Instead, the defense is having to pick up the slack for the offense. Be honest, if you had never heard of the guy and was watching him for the first time this year, what would you think? Would you think "this guy is special"? And I don't think the system is effective because of Tim considering how well it worked with Alex Smith and even Chris Leak. I think it's pretty turn key, but we'll all find out in the next few years once Tim is gone.

But I can respect that others see things differently.

dabvu2498
10-26-2009, 01:19 AM
I just don't see it. I'm certainly not going to gauge a players greatness on their ability to plunge 3 yards at a time. I don't see that as a special skill even if it is accompanied by the ability to throw the ball. He's the short yardage guy out of necessity because they haven't really had over his time there. So it's such a unique skill set because there's never really been a need for it.

Doesn't mean it's not useful.

Football is a very aesthetic sport.

Why does it have to be?

And if Tebow was the driver of the offense and the reason why a guy like Harvin was allowed to do the things he did, how do explain how pedestrian Tebow has looked this year? If Tebow was one of the all time great college QBs, that offense should not have missed a beat this year. Instead, the defense is having to pick up the slack for the offense. Be honest, if you had never heard of the guy and was watching him for the first time this year, what would you think? Would you think "this guy is special"? And I don't think the system is effective because of Tim considering how well it worked with Alex Smith and even Chris Leak. I think it's pretty turn key, but we'll all find out in the next few years once Tim is gone.

But I can respect that others see things differently.

There's no question they miss Harvin... And Louis Murphy... And maybe Dan Mullen. There's also no question he's not as good this year as he was the past two. I don't know why, but I think most of it's on him and not so much on his supporting cast. Is it injuries, illness, overuse? I dunno. He's taken quite a bit more pounding this year than he did in the last two, aside from just the hit in the UK game.

I agree with you, watching him and looking at his numbers this year, not that great. Unless he gets it together and they go undefeated as a team, I don't see that there's any way he's in the top 3 in the Heisman voting. Although, there seems to be a total lack of front-runners for the award, so who knows?

But the last two years, statistically speaking... historic. I know you don't care for the touchdown stat, but my goodness.

As for Chris Leak being successful in the offense, yes, no question their system and his surrounding talent made him what he was as a college QB, but back to the numbers, he had a 0.8 yards per carry average his senior year. He was not a running QB. The system changed when Tebow came into the game and then changed even more the next year when Tebow started.

I can't really speak to why Alex Smith was successful in the Meyer system as I didn't see Utah play much.

And just having seen him play a little here and there, I don't see any way Brantley can be the kind of running threat that Tebow has been. I'm guessing they'll go back to more of a 2006 look with Brantley as a Leak QB type and put one of their athletes in as a "wildcat" QB/hybrid type. And that's part of what makes Tebow different. He doesn't have to come out when it's "wildcat" time, although they did do some with Harvin last year, I know.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2009, 01:29 AM
And if Tebow wasn't playing in a system that took advantage of his skill set, he'd be Terrelle Pryor.

I think Pryor might be a more physically gifted athlete than Tebow. I think...

MWM
10-26-2009, 01:33 AM
I really don't think you can even consider Pryor in this conversation, although I suspect dabvu knew it would bait some of the Buckeye fans on the board when he typed it. Tebow is not a strong passer, but he's not bad either. Pryor right now is just bad. TP is nothing but potential right now, so I know your comment was more around ability, but I'm not sure at this point if Pryor even has enough passing ability to ever be a great college QB. He may develop more over the next two years, but right now Pryor is still hype without results. I don't think he's a good comp at all.

MWM
10-26-2009, 01:41 AM
I can't really speak to why Alex Smith was successful in the Meyer system as I didn't see Utah play much.

I saw a lot of Alex Smith in college (having lived in Utah for 4 years and somewhat following MWC football, yes it's true) and he did it much like Tebow, but was a better passer and a better open field runner. Heck, Alex Smith is a big reason why I have such a hard time giving Tebow the credit he gets heaped upon him by the media. I've never said this before simply because I'm sure it would be met with much laughter, but I really believe Alex Smith was better. He was a better passer and a better runner outside of short yardage. He wasn't a power runner at all, but was fast and was a pretty good open field runner. I don't think many would argue that he was a better passer, so that leaves running. And Tebow's running game is power and Smith's was finesse. If you were to take the 2004 version of Alex Smith and put him on Florida's team the previous two seasons, it would have been even sicker than it was, IMO. But I'm sure many would say it's ludicrous.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2009, 01:45 AM
I really don't think you can even consider Pryor in this conversation, although I suspect dabvu knew it would bait some of the Buckeye fans on the board when he typed it. Tebow is not a strong passer, but he's not bad either. Pryor right now is just bad. TP is nothing but potential right now, so I know your comment was more around ability, but I'm not sure at this point if Pryor even has enough passing ability to ever be a great college QB. He may develop more over the next two years, but right now Pryor is still hype without results. I don't think he's a good comp at all.

Yeah, I know. I just can't help but salivate about Pryor's athletic ability. You're right, Pryor is bad right now and some of it is his passing skills. But you can see the potential on some plays. He will make a fantastic pass, but follow it up with poor decisions and inconsistent mechanics/footwork. IF the coaching can work with him enough he has all the potential to become the next Vince Young...

WMR
10-26-2009, 01:46 AM
Tebow's a stud. You don't do what he has done week in and week out for the past 4 seasons versus SEC defenses unless you're supremely talented. He's in the perfect system for his talents, but, still, he is a stud.

*BaseClogger*
10-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Tebow's a stud. You don't do what he has done week in and week out for the past 4 seasons versus SEC defenses unless you're supremely talented. He's in the perfect system for his talents, but, still, he is a stud.

He's not that fast, and he doesn't have more than an average arm. He's got supreme toughness and intangibles, but really, how good would he be in a vacuum?

MWM
10-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Yeah, I know. I just can't help but salivate about Pryor's athletic ability. You're right, Pryor is bad right now and some of it is his passing skills. But you can see the potential on some plays. He will make a fantastic pass, but follow it up with poor decisions and inconsistent mechanics/footwork. IF the coaching can work with him enough he has all the potential to become the next Vince Young...

Sure. I see the potential there too. He's as gifted as anyone who's come through Columbus. But history is littered with pysically gifted athletes who never turned into great football players. As a true freshman, he did things that made me think he was going to realize his potential. But he's regressed this year quite a bit, IMO. If he doesn't take a big leap forward early next year, I think it will be safe to say he'll wind up a disappointment. Too bad.

dabvu2498
10-26-2009, 01:55 AM
I saw a lot of Alex Smith in college (having lived in Utah for 4 years and somewhat following MWC football, yes it's true) and he did it much like Tebow, but was a better passer and a better open field runner. Heck, Alex Smith is a big reason why I have such a hard time giving Tebow the credit he gets heaped upon him by the media. I've never said this before simply because I'm sure it would be met with much laughter, but I really believe Alex Smith was better. He was a better passer and a better runner outside of short yardage. He wasn't a power runner at all, but was fast and was a pretty good open field runner. I don't think many would argue that he was a better passer, so that leaves running. And Tebow's running game is power and Smith's was finesse. If you were to take the 2004 version of Alex Smith and put him on Florida's team the previous two seasons, it would have been even sicker than it was, IMO. But I'm sure many would say it's ludicrous.

I don't doubt it. There had to be a reason he was drafted as high as he was.

The only thing that I could say as a distraction of Smith would be the level of competition he faced in the MWC.

Also, if you trade Tebow for Smith for the last couple years at Florida, who on their team runs it in short yardage situations? Tebow has filled a pretty big role for them in that regard.

dabvu2498
10-26-2009, 01:56 AM
He's not that fast, and he doesn't have more than an average arm. He's got supreme toughness and intangibles, but really, how good would he be in a vacuum?

Utilized properly, still pretty good.

MWM
10-26-2009, 02:08 AM
I don't doubt it. There had to be a reason he was drafted as high as he was.

The only thing that I could say as a distraction of Smith would be the level of competition he faced in the MWC.

Also, if you trade Tebow for Smith for the last couple years at Florida, who on their team runs it in short yardage situations? Tebow has filled a pretty big role for them in that regard.

Eh, who knows. It's all speculation, even my own I recognize as just that. No two players are perfect opposites or complements. They'd have come with different plusses and different minuses. And no doubt Smith faced inferior competition, but they did play a good team here and there. Also, you can't deny that the talent surrounding Smith was anywhere near Tebow. I don't know what would have happened, but having watched Alex Smith probably a 7-8 full games when he was in college, I have a hrd time not seeing him being an absolute stud at Florida. The guy was good, and REALLY smart. What most who didn't watch him much probably don't realize is just how fast he was. Dude could fly in the open field. He wasn't an overly strong guy, but he could get around the corner without much problem.

And for the record, I hate all things University of Utah. I loathe them worse than I ever loathed Michigan as an OSU fan (prior to attending Michigan for grad school). I loathe them even more than I do the Steelers or Cubs. That's what happens when you're a BYU alum :) (the most intense rivalry no one knows about). Even though that was a long time ago and I don't really affiliate with BYU anymore, I still hate Utah. So propping up Alex Smith is just as hard for me as propping up Tebow is for those who loathe Florida.

Edit: just went and looked it up and Utah averaged 500 yards of offense a game that year. Yes, not SEC competition, but they did it against everyone they faced, even in the BCS game they won 35-7. It's a great system that has yet to be slowed down anywhere Urban has been.

Eric_the_Red
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Tim Tebow cures cancer.

Just sayin'.

cincrazy
10-26-2009, 08:51 AM
Speaking of Alex Smith, he returned from the dead yesterday to lead the 49ers on a comeback that came up just short. They were trailing 21-0 at the half to Houston, and Smith brought them to 24-21 before they ended up falling. He threw for over 200 yards and 3 TD's.

Maybe the guy will reach some of his NFL potential after all. Good to see after his shoulder problems.

Spring~Fields
10-26-2009, 12:12 PM
With any powerhouse football school, you could point to the schedule and pretty much guarantee a set amount of wins. That's not just OSU we're talking about, it's every other perennial top 10 team.

Oh really ? ;) About seven to eight auto wins a year ? :) Pretty sure that contributes strongly to the "good run".

No wonder they are alleged "perennial top 10 teams".

Makes me think it is more about BCS bowl politics and money vs. competitive sporting events.

DTCromer
10-26-2009, 01:19 PM
This might be one of the most competitive college football seasons as a whole I've seen in quite some time.

This might be the most average group of college football teams in one season I've seen in quite some time.

Which statement makes more sense? Or would you agree they both do?

dabvu2498
10-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I could care less about Iowa State but this is cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAcKiMy0Gp4&feature=player_embedded

cincrazy
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh really ? ;) About seven to eight auto wins a year ? :) Pretty sure that contributes strongly to the "good run".

No wonder they are alleged "perennial top 10 teams".

Makes me think it is more about BCS bowl politics and money vs. competitive sporting events.

My argument wasn't that OSU didn't have auto wins every year. But EVERY big time school does. Again, I'm not saying I agree with it, it's just the reality of the business.

traderumor
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
Tressel on this week's game with 3-5 New Mexico St.:

"No, we're going out all barrels blazing and do what the situation calls for."

I will just put that out there without comment as a freebie for the tOSU "detractors"

DISCLAIMER: This is intended all in fun, no baiting intended and no critical comments from me and would appreciate no defensive comments from Buckeyes fans toward those making a joke relative to the 2009 Buckeyes offense ;)

We must laugh at ourselves to not take things too seriously :D

BuckeyeRed27
10-29-2009, 01:44 PM
This might be one of the most competitive college football seasons as a whole I've seen in quite some time.

This might be the most average group of college football teams in one season I've seen in quite some time.

I think its a pretty even split of both.
The tradiational powers are all flawed in some way. The last 5 or 6 years there have been at least 2 to 4 teams that have been very complete all around and that isn't the case this year.
The "new" teams (UC, Boise, TCU and even Iowa to some degree) nobody trusts mainly because of schedule although they have all looked pretty good (except for Iowa who has looked like a lucky team that can win games).

I love the competition though and I think it has been a fun season so far.

bucksfan2
10-29-2009, 02:13 PM

This season has kind of stunk. There aren't any standout teams. The aren't any great players this season. In reality the #1 and #2 teams are still #1 and #2 because of officiating.

After the bowl games last season I though Texas, OU, and Florida would be great this year. So far all three teams haven't lived up to expectations.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Unreal. Indiana led Iowa 21-7 and had the ball 1st and goal inside the five yard and instead of running the ball, they drop back and pass twice and throw an INT returned for a TD. At worst, it should be 24-7 Indiana with 8 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, instead it's 21-14. Nice choke job. Iowa continues to have luck on their side. They are the worst top 5 team I have ever seen.

OnBaseMachine
10-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Wow. These refs REALLy want Iowa to win this game. That's now three bad calls against Indiana. I've watched two Indiana games this season and they've been absolutely screwed by the refs in both games.