PDA

View Full Version : Why Wait Till September?

RedLegSuperStar
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
This team is near the bottom and looking to go nowhere. Why not bring up the future. The Reds currently have 39 players on the 40 man roster and have room to add 3-4 more players depending on the recent set back from Yonder Alonso. Volquez, Lincoln, & Richar are out for the season. So that is 4-5 players they can add to the 40. My picks are:

Todd Frazier
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey

I'd also bring up Fransisco to play 3rd while Rolen is down. Kid is turning it on late in the year. Im sick of seeing Sutton and Rosalas get playing time when they won't amount to anything but AAAA players. Willy T needs to be DFA'd yesterday and the CF slot should be handed to Stubbs. We need to know if he can hit MLB pitching and nows the time.

Anyone with me?

RedEye
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone with me?

I'm with you!

Joseph
08-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I've always wondered this myself. I get there is money involved, but it just seems like the way to go in my mind. 60 day a few of the guys on the DL, dump a useless contract or two and start work.

Chip R
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
This team is near the bottom and looking to go nowhere. Why not bring up the future. The Reds currently have 39 players on the 40 man roster and have room to add 3-4 more players depending on the recent set back from Yonder Alonso. Volquez, Lincoln, & Richar are out for the season. So that is 4-5 players they can add to the 40. My picks are:

Todd Frazier
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey

I'd also bring up Fransisco to play 3rd while Rolen is down. Kid is turning it on late in the year. Im sick of seeing Sutton and Rosalas get playing time when they won't amount to anything but AAAA players. Willy T needs to be DFA'd yesterday and the CF slot should be handed to Stubbs. We need to know if he can hit MLB pitching and nows the time.

Anyone with me?

Why give them service time and start their arbitration clocks before you need to? Besides, Dusty won't play them anyway.

OnBaseMachine
08-10-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with ya on Frazier, Heisey, and Stubbs. Francisco and Wood? Nah, not yet. Francisco would get eaten alive by major league pitchers right now. he needs to stay in Double-A and continue working on his plate discipline. And Wood needs to spend the rest of the season in Louisville.

Redhook
08-10-2009, 08:47 PM
I agree with ya on Frazier, Heisey, and Stubbs. Francisco and Wood? Nah, not yet. Francisco would get eaten alive by major league pitchers right now. he needs to stay in Double-A and continue working on his plate discipline. And Wood needs to spend the rest of the season in Louisville.

I agree with you. Also, isn't Juan a horrendous fielder at third? EE part 2 at 3rd?

redsfan4445
08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
IF I was the owner I would bring those guys up and figure out if they can do the job to see what has to be done in the off season. But I am not the owner and Bob still thinks we are in it..:thumbdown

jojo
08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
There are consequences associated with putting guys on the 40 man roster. In other words, option years start getting burnt and it's not easy to remove him and still retain control of him.

Also the 40 man roster is important for protecting guys from the rule 5 draft so managing those 15 spots/having some flexibility is pretty important.

Degenerate39
08-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Anyone with me?

I am but the Reds aren't

Highlifeman21
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
IF I was the owner I would bring those guys up and figure out if they can do the job to see what has to be done in the off season. But I am not the owner and Bob still thinks we are in it..:thumbdown

Like already stated, The Dusty wouldn't play the kids, b/c he thinks he needs to trot out "our best" against teams that are still competing for a playoff spot.

Unfortunately, The Dusty hasn't figured out "our best" to this point, and I know he won't figure it out the rest of his tenure in Cincinnati.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2009, 10:50 PM
Why give them service time and start their arbitration clocks before you need to? Besides, Dusty won't play them anyway.

:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy

This wisdom of Chip.

Now if you could just get that through some of those WLW sports peoples minds. ;)

cincrazy
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
I agree with you. Also, isn't Juan a horrendous fielder at third? EE part 2 at 3rd?

From what I saw of Juan in spring training in person, he indeed is a horrendous 3B. He makes Edwin look like Scott Rolen.

TheNext44
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM

I know it's a fun joke to make, but seriously, name one young player that has been on the roster that Dusty has not given decent playing time that deserved it.

Maybe there's one I can't think of, but here are a list of the ones that he has, sometimes to a fault.

Cueto
Votto
Bruce
Hanigan
Rosales
Fisher
Hererra
Roenicke (when he was here)
Maloney
Balantein
Nix
Dickerson
Massett
R Ramirez
Tatum

Thinking it over, maybe Janish could have played more, but then if he had, and continued with his Catro-esque OPS, we would all be ripping him for it.

I did not like it when the Reds signed Dusty, but this myth that he only plays veterans has been shattered by reality.

RedsManRick
08-10-2009, 11:08 PM
Don't you have to pass a guy through waivers to take him off the 40 man during the season?

westofyou
08-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Why feed the young to the lions and start their arb clock?

Chip R
08-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I know it's a fun joke to make, but seriously, name one young player that has been on the roster that Dusty has not given decent playing time that deserved it.

I'm being totally serious. There is no way they will bench guys like Gomes and Nix and Taveras to play those guys. There wouldn't be very many managers that would. Dusty himself said the same thing.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Why feed the young to the lions and start their arb clock?

That's right, especially if they are not ready to make a real contribution to the team.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I'm being totally serious. There is no way they will bench guys like Gomes and Nix and Taveras to play those guys. There wouldn't be very many managers that would. Dusty himself said the same thing.

I am worried that those three guys might be back next year or something of their ilk. I hope not. I think you and WOY are both right. Then again I can understand the fans wanting to see something, alot of something fresh and new.

Chip R
08-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Then again I can understand the fans wanting to see something, alot of something fresh and new.

It's natural to want to see that. Of course these same people will then complain they paid major league money to watch minor league talent.

Spring~Fields
08-10-2009, 11:29 PM
It's natural to want to see that. Of course these same people will then complain they paid major league money to watch minor league talent.

Yupp, plus the compounding of disappointment if the minor leaguers can't show major encouraging promise.

alloverjr
08-10-2009, 11:34 PM

And that would be a departure in what way exactly? ;)