PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cueto hurt out of the game.

alexad
08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Cueto just got hurt swinging the bat. Dusty taking him out of the game. Here we go again.

redsfan4445
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
this whole medical team needs to go!! they need a staff that starting in spring training gets these players in top shape!! just dont understand it..

Team Clark
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Guess this is Dusty's fault too? Letting him hit in a tie game in the 3rd inning... LOL

Joseph
08-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Guess this is Dusty's fault too? Letting him hit in a tie game in the 3rd inning... LOL

Naturally. Dusty should have known that pitch was going to be a slider and Cueto would reach for it, injuring himself. Any good manager would know that!

Big Klu
08-10-2009, 10:10 PM
I blame Bob Boone.

Dom Heffner
08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Naturally. Dusty should have known that pitch was going to be a slider and Cueto would reach for it, injuring himself. Any good manager would know that!

You guys are right. Dusty is a perfect genius. Man, we are so lucky to have him.

This kind of psychology works both ways guys.

TRF
08-10-2009, 10:14 PM
this whole medical team needs to go!! they need a staff that starting in spring training gets these players in top shape!! just dont understand it..

just wow.

cincrazy

These things happen. It was a fluke thing, there's nothing in this world the medical staff could have done to prevent this.

It sucks, but we're Reds fans. We should be used to this.

KoryMac5
You guys are right. Dusty is a perfect genius. Man, we are so lucky to have him.

This kind of psychology works both ways guys.

Except that it never really works both ways, Dusty gets a ton of blame around here.

alexad
08-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Third pitcher hurt, so he tops his Cubs record. I think we need a new pitching and hitting coach.

Reds4Life
08-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I don't think there is anything left that can go wrong this season. In all my years of following the Reds, I can't recall a time when this many guys were hurt.

Highlifeman21
08-10-2009, 10:20 PM

I don't understand your post, care to explain?

Are you saying that the medical staff didn't get Cueto in shape, and b/c of whatever shape the medical staff didn't get Cueto in, he injured himself swinging a bat?

Highlifeman21
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I blame Jerry Narron.

Matt700wlw
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I blame Jerry Narron.

There's enough to go around!

Jim Bowden, too.

Tom Servo
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Kip Wells is your savior.

KronoRed
08-10-2009, 10:25 PM
If this were an OOTP league I would turn the injury frequency down to low ;)

KoryMac5
08-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Kip Wells is your savior.

Kip Wells is quickly moving up the depth chart.

cincrazy
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Kip Wells is quickly moving up the depth chart.

:bang::help::bash::explode::scared::shocked::pray: :censored::dunno::drink::bowrofl::redface::lastyea r::thisyear::oops::rant::ughmamoru:runawaycr:runaw ay::rant2::barf::sleep::yikes::all_cohol:angry::co nfused::(:eek:

That about covers it.

I think.

alexad
08-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Hip Flexor, is the report. I think that will require that he has his hip replaced with a Rino hip or maybe his big toe will need to be cut off.... I am sure we will get the full report from Doc Hollywood after he has been on the DL for a month.

jojo
08-10-2009, 10:37 PM
This is Raisor's fault. Maybe a little less time winning Nobel prizes and a little more watching the fort and things would be different.....

HeatherC1212
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh that sucks. :( I hope he's all right. This team is totally snake bit this year. I can't believe how many things have happened to these guys. Screw the Mets....we have to have had more injuries than them this year by now. This is totally insane. :bang:

westofyou
08-10-2009, 10:44 PM

Seriously?

ROTFL

Raisor
08-10-2009, 10:49 PM
Except that it never really works both ways, Dusty gets a ton of blame around here.

That's because he's not a very good manager.

Raisor
08-10-2009, 10:53 PM
This is Raisor's fault. Maybe a little less time winning Nobel prizes and a little more watching the fort and things would be different.....

I'm trying to make the world a better place, and this is the thanks I get?

You're coming off my list of people to thank at the next Moose Club meeting I get invited to where I give my inspirational one man one act play called "I'm Philip Raisor, and I'm Better Then You."

RedEye
08-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't think there is anything left that can go wrong this season. In all my years of following the Reds, I can't recall a time when this many guys were hurt.

Totally. What makes it worse is that this team wasn't terribly deep to begin with--at least on offense. Now, whatever "depth" we had in the rotation is by the boards as well. What began as the most hopeful season in several (at least in my book) has now turned into a heartbreakingly incomplete fiasco.

15fan
08-10-2009, 11:10 PM
To quote the great Jon Bon Jovi:

"It's all the same, only the names will change."

"Everyday, it seems we're wasting away."

I also think it has become abundantly clear that Marge made a deal with the devil to get the WS title in 1990. Welcome to year 19 of that deal.

Marc D
08-10-2009, 11:19 PM
I also think it has become abundantly clear that Marge made a deal with the devil to get the WS title in 1990. Welcome to year 19 of that deal.

I think there is something to that.

There is little doubt in my mind if Walt made the same moves in St Louis Willy T would be having a good year and Rolen could remember who he is right now.

HokieRed
08-10-2009, 11:27 PM
If they shut down Johnny C's innings it might just be a blessing in disguise.

Falls City Beer
08-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Cueto's made of papier mache.

Time to stock up on some bulls with clean bills of health in the offseason.

Who cares if they've got talent?

CTA513
08-10-2009, 11:43 PM

Reds fans do and I would hope the owners would also.

Tony Cloninger
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
1989......1993.....those were worse years in terms of injuries.

In terms of things going bad......heck in 1989 i thought as several people did was that Rijo would be out for a year due to his disk problems. Jackson was badly injured in the shoulder...... They thought Larkin would never be able to throw good again and could not play SS after that stupid relay skills thing in the AS game.

In 1993 the Reds were 59-55 after the bad start ...and then with Mitchell....Kelly and then Larkin going down after Roberts and Browning had pretty much been done before that.... it was one of the worst teams assembled for the rest of the year.

Only good omen was the recovery from both those years but they were helped with some good trades and FA singings. ... and better luck with injuries.

I can only hope that WJ can work some magic with some deals.

BCubb2003
08-10-2009, 11:52 PM
Welcome to year 19 of that deal.

Even Griffey's contract wasn't for that many years.

REDREAD
08-11-2009, 12:00 AM
If this were an OOTP league I would turn the injury frequency down to low ;)

Turn injuries off, man.

I remember one playoff series on the computer, I think it was OOTP, 6 of my pitchers, including 4 starters got injured during the playoffs, and I couldn't call up anyone to replace them.. Had to go with a 5 man staff. Ever since then, I turned off injuries right before the playoffs started.

Chip R
08-11-2009, 12:09 AM

Don't hurt yourself with that knee-jerk reaction.

BoydsOfSummer
08-11-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm trying to make the world a better place, and this is the thanks I get?

You're coming off my list of people to thank at the next Moose Club meeting I get invited to where I give my inspirational one man one act play called "I'm Philip Raisor, and I'm Better Then You."

Excepting proper use of "then" and "than".

Chip R
08-11-2009, 12:27 AM

He didn't win his Nobel Prizes for spelling.

BCubb2003
08-11-2009, 12:35 AM
He didn't win his Nobel Prizes for spelling.

It's his language, we just speak in it.

ochre
08-11-2009, 03:50 AM
no no no. He's good; you're next in the "good" line.

Falls City Beer
08-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Don't hurt yourself with that knee-jerk reaction.

Lots of old man injuries for a pup of 24: bad back, now a hurt hip flexor from swinging a bat?

I know the Reds have prematurely aged me, but this is absurd.

wolfboy
08-11-2009, 09:48 AM
Lots of old man injuries for a pup of 24: bad back, now a hurt hip flexor from swinging a bat?

I know the Reds have prematurely aged me, but this is absurd.

Nice one FCB. :beerme:

BCubb2003
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
If the NL had the DH this wouldn't have happened. It's Bud Selig's fault.

Eric_the_Red
08-11-2009, 10:09 AM
If the NL had the DH this wouldn't have happened. It's Bud Selig's fault.

But if the game of baseball was never invented, we wouldn't have players swinging bats.

DOUBLEDAAAAAAY!!!!

jojo
08-11-2009, 10:12 AM
But if the game of baseball was never invented, we wouldn't have players swinging bats.

DOUBLEDAAAAAAY!!!!

I hereby publically apologize for wrongly blaming Raisor.

Clearly, it's Columbus' fault.

Kc61
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM

The answer is that the Reds hardly have any players in their prime years.

Older players get injured.

Kids who aren't used to the rigors of a 162 game season and maybe don't have optimal habits get injured.

I think good players in their prime years know how to protect their bodies and perhaps know how to take care of themselves.

The Reds don't have many good players in their prime years.

membengal
08-11-2009, 12:24 PM
If they shut down Johnny C's innings it might just be a blessing in disguise.

There it is.

I was scrolling through to see who latched onto the obvious upside here. Full agreement with Hokie, forced shelf time for Cueto and resting that arm at this point is great timing. Rest, Johnny, rest. And skip winter ball while you are at it.

Falls City Beer
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
There it is.

I was scrolling through to see who latched onto the obvious upside here. Full agreement with Hokie, forced shelf time for Cueto and resting that arm at this point is great timing. Rest, Johnny, rest. And skip winter ball while you are at it.

No twinkies, either. Hit the gym often. Stay in prime shape. Run all the time. Strengthen your body.

Don't be winded after 100 innings.

BCubb2003
08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
This team is going to be so well rested next year it's not even funny.

Benihana
08-11-2009, 12:35 PM
This team is going to be so well rested next year it's not even funny.

Good.

The rest of the 2009 season should be a major league extended tryout camp, especially for guys like Wladimir Balentien, Johnny Gomes, Drew Sutton, Adam Rosales, Paul Janish, and Ryan Hanigan.

The Reds can probably only keep two of those infielders as bench players, and as many have pointed out may only be able to keep one of Balentien/Gomes (I like Wlad, and I wouldn't be distraught if they still kept Gomes as well provided no one else would trade anything for him.) As other threads have pointed out, it will be nice to continue to let Hanigan get full-time exposure so that we'll know whether or not to make a serious run at another catcher in the offseason. My gut says that Hanigan should get a shot at the starting role for next year.

Similarly, I'd like to see the Reds call up guys like Ramirez, Jukich, LeCure, and Maloney and put them in the rotation alongside Bailey, Harang and Arroyo to see which one of those guys can be counted on to be at least a spot starter going forward. They certainly won't have room to keep all of them in Louisville next year, so they might as well see what they have on the real proving ground. If more than one looks good, they could build up some trade value.

Ditto for position players like Chris Valaika and Danny Dorn. Dorn might be able to be the left-handed pinch hitter next year. Valaika should be thrown into the mix with Sutton, Rosales, and Janish.

Finally, if nothing else, maybe playing all these youngsters will get them one step closer to Strasburg or Harper. Might as well at this point.

BRM
08-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Benihana keeps forgetting that you can't play young'uns in September. Gotta play "your best".

Benihana
08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Benihana keeps forgetting that you can't play young'uns in September. Gotta play "your best".

Ha, can't do that if all of your best are on the DL :p:

membengal
08-11-2009, 01:21 PM

Tryouts and tank.

The T & T of what Cincy's September should be...

M2
08-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Tryouts and tank.

The T & T of what Cincy's September should be...

They could call it Tank and Auditions instead. I mean, who can't sell T&A to the American public?

BRM
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Reds manager Dusty Baker, in 16 years as a major league manager, said he rarely has seen as many injuries as this year. That includes third baseman Scott Rolen, who sat again Monday with concussion-like symptoms from his Aug. 2 beaning.

“The team that keeps their frontline players on the field the most is usually the team that wins,” Baker said.

Because of injuries and trades, the Reds will finish the 2009 season having played just 10 games (5-5 record) with their projected Opening Day lineup.

It’s all part of the reason Cincinnati is now 48-63 and fifth in the NL Central, 13 games behind leader St. Louis.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aa33d5d34-9bf0-4102-b944-5c7d45d49522&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

_Sir_Charles_
08-11-2009, 03:34 PM

Bingo. I'm certainly not going to blame injuries on the coaches or medical staff. We've just been unlucky in that aspect this year. I haven't seen any injuries that are due to overwork or undertraining (during the spring). Just a fluke and crappy luck.

Cueto, though, makes it sound like it's nothing serious. Hopefully he's right.

traderumor
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Because of injuries and trades, the Reds will finish the 2009 season having played just 10 games (5-5 record) with their projected Opening Day lineup.The media (TV and print) keeps on repeating this like the Reds had a solid OD lineup in the vein of the Mets. What they have on the field now is not a whole lot different than what they had OD, and is probably a little bit better with the short-term performance of Wlad and Rolen once he gets back. The projected OD lineup should have been together 0 games because it sucked then and should have never set foot on the field.

Degenerate39
08-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Because of injuries and trades, the Reds will finish the 2009 season having played just 10 games (5-5 record) with their projected Opening Day lineup.

That and McDonald isn't with the big club any more lol

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Whether they were hoping for it or not, the Reds are continuing to prime thesmelves for an impact draft pick come next year.

Benihana
08-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Whether they were hoping for it or not, the Reds are continuing to prime thesmelves for an impact draft pick come next year.

Even if they are positioned for an impact draft pick, they'll probably go the signability route. Devin Mesoraco told me so.

Hoosier Red
08-11-2009, 05:53 PM
That and McDonald isn't with the big club any more lol

Not that it makes a difference but I think he's counting Taveras instead of McDonald as the "projected" OD lineup.

BRM
08-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Not that it makes a difference but I think he's counting Taveras instead of McDonald as the "projected" OD lineup.

You're right. It doesn't make a difference.