PDA

View Full Version : Marlins & Rockies

Brutus
08-11-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm curious if anyone thinks either of these two teams can take the NL East & West races down to the wire? Both are playing some really good baseball right now.

The Marlins have snuck to within 3 1/2 games out of the Phillies. Colorado continues to stay hot and now trail the Dodgers by just 5.5 games. Though the Phillies don't really have any noticeable weaknesses now, it's close enough anything can happen. And the Dodgers have issues with their rotation.

Also, I don't think the Marlins would do it (payroll), but they could use one more solid starter and I wish an Arroyo-Hermida deal could be swung. Just thinking aloud on that one.

cincrazy
08-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I'm curious if anyone thinks either of these two teams can take the NL East & West races down to the wire? Both are playing some really good baseball right now.

The Marlins have snuck to within 3 1/2 games out of the Phillies. Colorado continues to stay hot and now trail the Dodgers by just 5.5 games. Though the Phillies don't really have any noticeable weaknesses now, it's close enough anything can happen. And the Dodgers have issues with their rotation.

Also, I don't think the Marlins would do it (payroll), but they could use one more solid starter and I wish an Arroyo-Hermida deal could be swung. Just thinking aloud on that one.

I think it's more likely the Rockies take the West, while I don't expect either to happen. The Dodgers look worn out, especially in the bullpen, but George Sherill helps in that regard. But their starting rotation is banged up too, so it wouldn't completely surprise me if the Rockies and/or the Giants surged ahead of them down the stretch.

On the other hand, I think the Marlins are definitely still alive in the wild card, but I don't see them taking the East. The Phillies had one bad series to allow Florida to sneak closer, but I think that's all it was, was one bad series. But we've seen this act before from Florida, so who knows really. I've been wrong most of this year about everything, I see no reason why that shouldn't continue to be the case ;).

flyer85
08-11-2009, 11:02 AM
The marlins need another starter to go with Johnson/Nolasco/Volstad and help in the pen. They have incredibly low payroll. If they really wanted to win they would ask the Reds about Harang and Cordero.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
The Rockies can't be any good according to some on here - they play in Coors Field. Oh, and Matt Holliday is no better than Nix/Gomes. :rolleyes:

nate
08-11-2009, 11:36 AM
The Rockies can't be any good according to some on here - they play in Coors Field. Oh, and Matt Holliday is no better than Nix/Gomes. :rolleyes:

I guess you'd have to take that up with "some on here."

I hear he hangs out with "this board" a lot.

flyer85
08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Matt Holliday is no better than Nix/Gomes. :rolleyes:The Rockies have really missed him ... they'd be 25 games over 500 if they hadn't traded him.

Brutus
08-11-2009, 02:36 PM
The marlins need another starter to go with Johnson/Nolasco/Volstad and help in the pen. They have incredibly low payroll. If they really wanted to win they would ask the Reds about Harang and Cordero.

That was my thinking with regard to the Arroyo-Hermida comment. With Lindstrom back now, I'm not sure they're quite as eager to add more bullpen help. Leo Nunez has been doing well as the closer, and they've got Kiko Calero back and pitching real well too. But they definitely need, at very least, another starting pitcher.

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-11-2009, 05:36 PM
The Rockies have really missed him ... they'd be 25 games over 500 if they hadn't traded him.

How's he working out for St. Louis?

Brutus
08-11-2009, 06:52 PM
How's he working out for St. Louis?

I realize you were asking a rhetorical question, but he is now OPS'ing .902 between Oakland and St. Louis this season! Rumors of his post-Coors Field demise were greatly exaggerated.

:beerme:

I will say, though, that Seth Smith has been solid since taking over in left for them. He's got an .878 OPS (831 on the road).

Still, Holliday has been solid, if not at times, spectacular since that dreadful start in April. he's got nearly an 1.100 OPS since July 1. He's definitely pooing the naysayers.