PDA

View Full Version : Rolen tries to settle feud with La Russa

savafan
08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Let the speculation begin

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/877655.html

BY DAVID WILHELM - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Scott Rolen is experiencing concussion-like symptoms, the result of being hit in the head by a pitch from former teammate Jason Marquis.

But that's not why Rolen on Monday afternoon ended up in the office of St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa. He really meant to go there.

"True story," said Rolen, traded to the Cincinnati Reds on July 31.

Rolen, the former Cardinals third baseman, and La Russa endured multiple personality clashes in Rolen's five-plus seasons in St. Louis. They contributed to Rolen being traded to Toronto in January 2008.

The hurt feelings have remained until Monday when Rolen made his first appearance at Busch Stadium since being dealt to the Blue Jays for Troy Glaus.

"I wasn't sure how to handle that situation," Rolen said. "I haven't spoken with Tony since that time. Obviously, we didn't get out on the best of terms. I popped into his office, went in to say hello. I figured that was probably the best way to get it done, to look somebody in the face and say hello."

Rolen said the meeting with La Russa wasn't planned.

"I had no intention of going into the office at that situation, at that time, and doing anything like that," he said. "I didn't know what was going to happen, and I was uncomfortable with what would or wouldn't happen. I didn't know.

"I'm sure we both carried a little resentment ... and I'm not sure where we stand. But no, that's not the way I drew it up at all."

Rolen, batting .309 with 30 doubles, nine home runs and 45 RBIs in 92 games, won't play against the Cardinals this week, and he might be placed on the disabled list. That diminishes his return to the city in which he still owns a home.

"It meant so much to me to be here and be a St. Louis Cardinal and wear the uniform and (remember) the good times we had. It escalates when you're put into a different situation," said the 34-year-old Rolen, who is in the seventh year of an eight-year, $90 million contract he signed with the Cardinals.

"The people in Toronto were fantastic and the people in Cincinnati are fantastic, but I signed a contract to spend the rest of my career in St. Louis," he said. "That was the idea. That was cut short for one reason or another."

The relationship between Rolen and La Russa became untenable in December 2007, when La Russa suggested Rolen didn't like authority. Rolen had demanded a trade after La Russa signed a two-year contract two months earlier.

La Russa didn't want to say much about Rolen or their checkered past.

"There's no reason to answer that question," he said. "What I really regret is that he's hurt right now. I don't like that at all, and I wish him health -- and quickly. He not only was on the team, but he was a part of some of the better memories we've had here in this decade. But right now, it's about his health."

Cincinnati General Manager Walt Jocketty said it's possible Rolen might not be disabled, but Rolen sounded like he's nowhere near ready to compete.

"I'm just in La-La Land out there," he said. "I have headaches I can't shake. It would be easier to wear a cast or have something you could put your finger on. I just don't feel right. I try to make excuses, but the fact is, I got hit in the head and I don't feel right."

Rolen said his family was excited about coming back to St. Louis.

"My family's happy to be back here," Rolen said. "They came in four days early to see our neighbors and our friends. There's a lot of people we've gotten really close with and stay in contact with.

"There's nothing but great memories here. We won a world championship, you have your family down on the field celebrating. That brings back good feelings and good feelings only."

Jocketty, the Cardinals' former general manager, said too much has been made about the Rolen-La Russa saga.

"It's stuff that happened in the past," Jocketty said. "It really is not relevant to what we're doing today. Both clubs have moved on, both people have moved on. You guys should move on, quite honestly."

Cincinnati is about a 2 1/2-hour drive from Rolen's hometown of Jasper, Ind., which makes it a nice fit. Jocketty and Reds manager Dusty Baker hope Rolen remains with the Reds beyond the 2010 season. Rolen also is open to the idea.

"I'm from the Midwest," Rolen said. "It's the part of the country I'm most comfortable in and my family is most comfortable in, without a doubt. Last year, I took a leap of faith to go to Canada, play in a different (league), take my family to a different country. My kids are getting to school age. I met some incredible people there. But at the same time, there was a part of me that wanted to be in this part of the country."

Tom Servo
08-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Pssh, I still want to know what it is exactly that caused such a rift between the two.

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
this sets the stage nicely for a Baker firing and a LaRussa/Duncan entrance to Cincinnati in 2010...

GAC
08-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Wow! He must have got beaned pretty good! :D

KoryMac5
08-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I don't think Tony is going to give up Pujols and Holliday for Willy T and Rosales.

corkedbat
08-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Is that Scott Rolen or George Grande? :D

Reds/Flyers Fan
08-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I don't think Tony is going to give up Pujols and Holliday for Willy T and Rosales.

Hopefully Holliday isn't in St. Louis past October. :beerme:

fearofpopvol1
08-11-2009, 11:55 PM

For the right $$$ and to be with a owner/GM who LOVE you, I think anything is possible. BCast has made no secret about the fact that he loves LaRussa.

OldXOhio
08-12-2009, 08:44 AM

No, no, no, we want him in STL. He's a product of Coors Field, have you not heard?

MattyHo4Life
08-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Pssh, I still want to know what it is exactly that caused such a rift between the two.

In September of 2006, LaRussa and the trainers told Rolen that he needed to rest his shoulder. Scott said he was fine and he wanted to play. He slumped thoughout September. Then during the playoffs, he was 1 for 15, so LaRussa benched him fo 2 games, and that upset Rolen. Although, he played great in the World Series.

Rolen was my favorite player when he was in St. Louis. I can't blame him for wanting to play. Although, I don't like it when a player is so vocal about a disagreement with the manager. For Rolen, this is the second problem that he had with a manager that led to him being traded.

MattyHo4Life
08-12-2009, 09:31 AM

Hopefully, St Louis has the McGwire effect on Holliday. Ownership a said that they do want to keep him, and will make an ttempt to sign him. Attendance as skyrocketted since the trade, ad now attendance is projected to be 3.2Mil this year. I was at the game last night, and it was close to being sold out, and it may have been sold out. There were over 40,000 there last night... lots of happy Reds fans too. lol

princeton
08-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I like it:

"Man seeks out Larussa, needs head examined"

traderumor
08-12-2009, 11:52 AM
I really didn't need to hear all over again about the "hometown discount" from our homer announcers for the opponent because St. Looey is such an amazingly superific awesome place to play baseball. They were offered big freaking contracts and playing on winning teams. Holliday will likely be offered the same and then say something stupid about "man, I just loved this city." Of course you do, they just locked you up for life. :rolleyes:

Big Klu
08-12-2009, 11:59 AM
I always thought that a "hometown discount" was something a club got when the player was originally from that city/area.

Roy Tucker
08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm confused. Did they or didn't they talk?

Eric_the_Red
08-12-2009, 01:25 PM
I'm confused. Did they or didn't they talk?

Well, Rolen thought they did, but due to his concussion, he was actually speaking to the bat rack.

15fan
08-12-2009, 01:30 PM
BCast has made no secret about the fact that he loves LaRussa.

So do Reds fans.

It was, after all, Tony L and his 1990 team for the ages that came to Cincinnati in October and promptly got their butts swept.

Chip R
08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
So do Reds fans.

It was, after all, Tony L and his 1990 team for the ages that came to Cincinnati in October and promptly got their butts swept.

And ever since then, payback has been hell.