PDA

View Full Version : Let's Have Some Fun!

GAC
08-11-2009, 08:22 PM
I am not going to even assume or presume that I could run/manage a MLB baseball. Yeah, I know, there may be some fans who think they can. And after watching this '09 team, they probably couldn't do any worse. ;)

But just for the fun of it, lets say, as a fan, you get to be the manager. And you have to select your staff (coaches) from RZ members ONLY.

Who would you select?

nate
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Owner: nate

redsfandan
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Not me. lol I'd be the president or owner. Maybe gm. Not sure of who else except I think we have a group of people (that spend alot of time in the minors forum) that might do a better job with the farm system.

Highlifeman21
08-11-2009, 08:44 PM
Manager: Highlifeman21

Pitching Coach: FCB
Hitting Coach: Cyclone792

1st Base Coach: westofyou
3rd Base Coach: M2

Bullpen Coach: Ltlabner

nate
08-11-2009, 08:53 PM
Manager: Highlifeman21

Pitching Coach: FCB
Hitting Coach: Cyclone792

1st Base Coach: westofyou
3rd Base Coach: M2

Bullpen Coach: Ltlabner

Sorry, I can't afford FCB and all his perks like the ocelot cage, sensory deprivation chamber and investment in his new endeavor: Falls City Beer Lite with real bacon flavor.

RedsManRick
08-11-2009, 09:03 PM
Pitching Coach: TeamClark
Hitting Coach: RANDY IN CHAR NC

1st Base Coach: TeamCasey
3rd Base Coach: Ltlabner

Bullpen Coach: dougdirt
Bench Coach: Cyclone792

BRM
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Abner as a 3rd base coach? That guys sends EVERYBODY. He's crazy.

Joseph
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm assuming since I'm putting this list together I'm the owner.

Therefore other key positions I'd fill out like this.

GM: Brutus the Pimp Brutus is the sort of guy who checks things from multiple points of view before speaking. Intelligent and structured in his planning, just the kind of revolutionary thinker you'd want to put your team together.
Asst GM: M2 Despite living up north, has a pretty no-nonsense ideal set that would play well in my front office. I don't need a bunch of 'yes men' I need idea men who are confident in what they know and what they don't know just as much. M2 gets that.

Manager: Woy. He's seen enough in his day, got a pretty even and calm demeanor but isn't afraid to call someone out when needed.
Bench Coach: ChipR. You don't want a coach in the managers ear every second. You need one who says the right thing at the right time. Since he can't seem to do that here, I'm sure he could on the bench. Kidding pal.
Hitting Coach: Cyclone792. Focused, concise, and direct. Just what I'd want in a hitting coach. I don't need a bunch of cockamamie philosophies screwing with my hitters.
Pitching Coach: Membengal Young gun who brings a bit of a new angle to things and stands his own with media types who will no doubt question his philosophy from time to time.
First Base Coach: WMR Big time guy who would encourage my hitters when they got to first base. He's dealt with some adversity here and there and come out better for it.
Third Base Coach: Team Clark. He's got the experience we need in a 3B coach, and he probably already understands all the signs.

Director of Scouting: DougDirt. He's got a good eye for young talent, he'd be great running a draft.
Director of Minor League Operations: GOYA. Once Doug brings em in, GOYA would be a great choice to advise the GM on who is getting it done, and who needs to be dealt.

Director of Media Relations: Kitty Duran. You always walk away with a smile after you talk to Kitty, so if we have to slash payroll at any point I think she's got the best chance of handling things the best to keep a fan uprising subdued.

Stadium Announcer: Matt700WLW Dude got it done on the radio, and would be a nice change of pace from the fella down there now.

Falls City Beer
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Sorry, I can't afford FCB and all his perks like the ocelot cage, sensory deprivation chamber and investment in his new endeavor: Falls City Beer Lite with real bacon flavor.

:D

High maintenance, baby.

Ron Madden
08-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Owner WOY.

GM Steel

Manager M2

Then I'd let them fill out the coaching staff with who ever they wanted.

:)

Brutus
08-12-2009, 04:54 AM
I'll play along.

I'm filling out my entire front office, though. OK maybe not the entire thing. Close enough.

President & C.E.O. - Boss-Hog (since this is Redszone, after all)
C.O.O - GIK
Chief Financial Officer - Atomic Dumpling (so you can inspect my books, heh ;))
General Manager - TheNext44
Special Assistant to the G.M. - edabbs44
Assistant G.M. - JoJo
Analysis Consultant (ala Bill James) - Caveat Emperor
Manger of Baseball Research - M2
Media Relations - Falls City Beer
Assistant of Media Relations - Matt700WLW
Tickets & Promotions - Team Clark
Director of Player Development - Benihana
Scouting Director - dougdirt
V.P. of Baseball Ops - JaxRed
Trainer - 11Larkin11
Manager - Raisor
Bench Coach - Joseph
Pitching Coach - bucksfan2
Hitting Coach - RANDY IN CHAR NC
1st Base Coach - Willy Taveras's mother
3rd Base Coach - Cyclone792
Bat Boy - LVJ
Equipment Manager - nate (this is more important than it seems!)
Director of Reds Hall of Fame - westofyou
Special Consultants - Mario-Rijo, kaldaniels, On Base Machine, Redleg Jake, savafan, traderumor, as well as all of the many, many great posters I ran out of positions for - though I can find some spots in ticket sales or stadium ops if you like? :D

mth123
08-12-2009, 06:33 AM
OK. I'll take a shot.

GM - Stormy
Assistant GM - Benihana
Special Advisors to the GM - RedsManRick, SteelSD, Gonelong, Flyer85
Director of Minor League Operations - Doudirt
Minor League Coordinator - OnBaseMachine
Team Historian - Big Klu
Directors of Reds Hall of Fame - Cyclone, Redsbaron
Director of Media Relations - RedsMetz
Public Address Announcer - Matt700WLW
Team Doctor - Will M
Beatwriters - M2, Caveat Emperor
Play by Play Man - Redsfanatic
Color Analyst - Membengal

Manager - IslandRed
Bench Coach - RFS62
3rd Base Coach - Buckeyredleg
1st Base Coach - PaintmeRed
Pitching coach - Teamclark
Bullpen Coach - Sir Charles

Manager at Louisville - Goya
Manager at Carolina - Carolina Redleg
Manager at Sarasota - JaxRed
Manager at Dayton - Redsof72

Special Assistant to Bronson Arroyo - Falls City Beer
Special Assistant to Willy Taveras - MTH123
Special Assistant to Alex Gonzalez - Eddabbs44
Special Assistant to Unproven Rookies - WVREDSFAN

redsfandan
08-12-2009, 06:38 AM
I'm really impressed by how much thought has been put into some of these answers. Or maybe I'm just scared. :dunno:

Ltlabner
08-12-2009, 06:50 AM
Abner as a 3rd base coach? That guys sends EVERYBODY. He's crazy.

I'd wave the runners coming to the bag from 2nd like a bull-fighter. With my cape of course!

Ltlabner
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
Owner: nate

League commissioner: Ltlabner

Memo to team owner Nate,

We've revoked your franchise.

Love,

The Commish

nate
08-12-2009, 08:42 AM
League commissioner: Ltlabner

Memo to team owner Nate,

We've revoked your franchise.

Love,

The Commish

Memo to Commish

Thanks for your awesome handling of all things related to the All Star Game.

We'd like to host it next year.

Nate

Raisor
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Manager - Raisor

I'm fining TRF 50 bucks for being late to every meeting we've ever had.

bucksfan2
08-12-2009, 11:45 AM
GM - Brutus the Pimp
Asst. GM - RedsManRick
Special Asst. Bennihana - Give my GM's a list of players they should go after.

Manager - Bucksfan2 - with a lifetime contract so I can't be fired.
Asst. Manager - lollipopcurve
Bench Coach - Nate - Need someone to debate with during the game.
Pitching Coach - Randy in Char NC
Hitting Coach - KC61
1b coach - FCB
3b coach - Ltabner - He has to scream epic fail everytime he sends a runner home that gets thrown out.
Bullpen Catcher - BRM - Channeling his best Javy Valentine.
Bullpen Coach - TRF
Director of Scouting - dougdirt
Asst. Director of Scouting and Team Psychologist - OBM. Love the emotional roller coaster he rides during the season.
Historian - WOY

nate
08-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Bench Coach - Nate - Need someone to debate with during the game.

What about before the game?

And after?

I would think those are equally if not more important.

(parodying myself)

Hoosier Red
08-12-2009, 11:49 AM
I'd wave the runners coming to the bag from 2nd like a bull-fighter. With my cape of course!

To pull a quote from Redszone of years' past, LtLabner would give the go sign to his daughter's prom date.

Brutus
08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm fining TRF 50 bucks for being late to every meeting we've ever had.

You were hired for you inane ability to deliver peppy pregame speeches. But discipline is OK too in our organization. :beerme:

*BaseClogger*
08-12-2009, 06:26 PM
GM - M2
Ass. GM - SMcGavin
Analysts - jojo, RedsManRick, Cyclone792
Advisors - Austin Kearns, mth123, Highlifeman21, BuckeyeRedLeg, Johnny Footstool, PuffyPig, MWM
Director of Minor League Operations - Dougdirt
Team Historian - westofyou
Director of Media Relations - Nate (anybody but FCB)
Public Address Announcer - matt700wlw
Team Doctor - OnBaseMachine
Beatwriters - BCubb2003, Caveat Emperor
PBP Man - Reds Fanatic
Website - Atomic Dumpling
Scouts - Emin3mShady07, remdog, Stephenk29, pedro, FCB

Manager - IslandRed
Bench Coach - princeton
3rd Base Coach - reds44
1st Base Coach - Screwball
Pitching Coach - TeamClark
Bullpen Coach - camisadelgolf (no telling what he does out there where you can't see him)

Concessions - WMR :p:

Ltlabner
08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
3b coach - Ltabner - He has to scream epic fail everytime he sends a runner home that gets thrown out.

Unfortunately, the flaw in your plan is that I would never have a runner thrown out. That's the power of the cape. Or the cod-piece. I can never remember which it is.

Brutus
08-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Unfortunately, the flaw in your plan is that I would never have a runner thrown out. That's the power of the cape. Or the cod-piece. I can never remember which it is.

"I don't trust men wearing capes." -- George Costanza

GAC
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow! Some of you are really going far more in-depth then I expected. I'm impressed.

And I definitely like some of the choices.

Remember though. YOU are the manager.....

Hitting Coach..... RANDY IN CHAR NC

Pitching Coach...... RedsManRick (I was gonna give the job to OBM; but the guy would be suspended for a majority of the season for telling the umps how bad they are)

Bench Coach...... rfs62. I want that veteran presence and a cool head.

Special A'sst to the Bench Coach....Raisor ("I thought we were suppose to be issued phasers?")

1st Base Coach.... ebabbs44 ("yeah, yeah... you made it to 1B. We could have gotten the production a lot cheaper")

3rd Base Coach..... nate ("Ok GO!... no wait, come back.. OK, now!...no wait!....)

Bullpen Coach.... ChipR (I was originally going to give it to Sandy D, then I remembered there's a phone there. NO WAY!)

Trainer..... FCB ("You'll be OK. Rub some aloe on it and get back out there ya wus!")

Equipment Manager..... Ltl Abner ("You know you're holding that by the wrong end")

cincrazy
08-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Can't I at least be someone's clubhouse attendant or laundry guy?

Brutus
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Can't I at least be someone's clubhouse attendant or laundry guy?

Nate needs help as my equipment manager. You can be the laundry boy.

cincrazy
08-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Nate needs help as my equipment manager. You can be the laundry boy.

Awesome. Hopefully I can keep my job after I inevitably steal an authentic game worn Willy Taveras jersey.

nate
08-12-2009, 07:47 PM
Wow! Some of you are really going far more in-depth then I expected. I'm impressed.

And I definitely like some of the choices.

Remember though. YOU are the manager.....

Hitting Coach..... RANDY IN CHAR NC

Pitching Coach...... RedsManRick (I was gonna give the job to OBM; but the guy would be suspended for a majority of the season for telling the umps how bad they are)

Special A'sst to the Bench Coach....Raisor ("I thought we were suppose to be issued phasers?")

1st Base Coach.... ebabbs44 ("yeah, yeah... you made it to 1B. We could have gotten the production a lot cheaper")

3rd Base Coach..... nate ("Ok GO!... no wait, come back.. OK, now!...no wait!....)

Bullpen Coach.... ChipR (I was originally going to give it to Sandy D, then I remembered there's a phone there. NO WAY!)

Trainer..... FCB ("You'll be OK. Rub some aloe on it and get back out there ya wus!")

Equipment Manager..... Ltl Abner ("You know you're holding that by the wrong end")

The idea of edabbs at 1st and me at 3rd is roofully.

:cool:

nate
08-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Awesome. Hopefully I can keep my job after I inevitably steal an authentic game worn Willy Taveras jersey.

You'll have to pry them from Ltlabner's cold, dead hands.

Spring~Fields
08-12-2009, 07:52 PM
GM - RedsManRick
Ass't GM - Cyclone792

Ahhh, kiss speed with the inability to get on base good byeeeee ! :thumbup:

Spring~Fields
08-12-2009, 07:56 PM

You just make sure that Taveras can't dress for games. (checks in the mail) :D

cincrazy
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
You just make sure that Taveras can't dress for games. (checks in the mail) :D

Sweet deal. I'm about 5'7 140 lbs (in other words, twice the size of Herrera). I'm confident I could physically stop Taveras from leaving the clubhouse if necessary.

Raisor
08-12-2009, 09:57 PM

I think this means I get to carry RF's lunch box.

I'd earn towards retirement, right?

Chip R
08-12-2009, 11:08 PM

:roll:

Highlifeman21
08-12-2009, 11:28 PM
You'll have to pry them from Ltlabner's cold, dead hands.

Word on the street is that he's cornered the market on Taveras paraphernalia.

I tried buying a Taveras jersey from Majestic for Cyclone, but they told me they were all sold out.

Degenerate39
08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Manager- Nate
Batting Coach- GAC
Pitching Coach- Ltlabner
Bullpen- Smith288
1st Base Coach- BLEEDS
3rd Base Coach- WMR

reds44
08-12-2009, 11:44 PM
GM - M2
Ass. GM - SMcGavin
Analysts - jojo, RedsManRick, Cyclone792
Advisors - Austin Kearns, mth123, Highlifeman21, BuckeyeRedLeg, Johnny Footstool, PuffyPig, MWM
Director of Minor League Operations - Dougdirt
Team Historian - westofyou
Director of Media Relations - Nate (anybody but FCB)
Public Address Announcer - matt700wlw
Team Doctor - OnBaseMachine
Beatwriters - BCubb2003, Caveat Emperor
PBP Man - Reds Fanatic
Website - Atomic Dumpling
Scouts - Emin3mShady07, remdog, Stephenk29, pedro, FCB

Manager - IslandRed
Bench Coach - princeton
3rd Base Coach - reds44
1st Base Coach - Screwball
Pitching Coach - TeamClark
Bullpen Coach - camisadelgolf (no telling what he does out there where you can't see him)

Concessions - WMR :p:
I'm waiving anybody and everybody with two outs.

WMR
08-12-2009, 11:50 PM
BC, you made a HUGE mistake in granting me unfettered access to the beer. :D

WMR
08-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Manager- Nate
Batting Coach- GAC
Pitching Coach- Ltlabner
Bullpen- Smith288
1st Base Coach- BLEEDS
3rd Base Coach- WMR

I can promise you that I'll do a better job than Mark Berry. In my sleep. :D

WMR
08-13-2009, 12:08 AM
I would actually employ a triumvirate as my "General Manager." I would also have them operate slightly differently than the average GM.

Stormy - Cyclone - Steel

I don't worry about those 3 being unable to reach a consensus on major decisions because they all approach the game from the same basic philosophy. However, having 3 highly intelligent sets of eyes evaluating players/decisions/acquisitions etc. etc. would be highly successful imo and I certainly wouldn't expect them to agree all the time, or maybe even most of the time, which would be a GOOD thing. I would basically install myself as President and have daily meetings with those 3. I'd take advice from all 3 and make a final decision on major personnel type decisions. So, in a way, I'D be the GM, but not really, because I couldn't do the job anywhere near a competent level without those 3. Surrounding myself with such intelligent baseball minds, however, combined with my own ability to sort through ideas and make smart decisions would make me feel very good about getting the Reds to where they needed to be.

I'd probably also assign each of the 3 a part of the organization that would fall solely under their authority.

On Field...
Manager: BRM. Values on-base percentage and isn't the type to go all Ozzie Guillen.
Bench coach: M2. Near genius level baseball mind. Would be an awesome resource for BRM to have on the bench.

Might do more later.

and oh yeah: BaseClogger would be the CEO of Jockstraps. And he wouldn't be using a washing machine either. Each one needs to be hand scrubbed after every game. Get to it clogger!

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 12:13 AM

You can be my team's Mark Sheldon... :)

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 12:17 AM
and oh yeah: BaseClogger would be the CEO of Jockstraps. And he wouldn't be using a washing machine either. Each one needs to be hand scrubbed after every game. Get to it clogger!

The "CEO of Jockstraps"? :laugh:

WMR
08-13-2009, 12:19 AM
The "CEO of Jockstraps"? :laugh:

I wanted to make sure you had a fancy title so you wouldn't feel marginalized.

Ltlabner
08-13-2009, 07:03 AM
Word on the street is that he's cornered the market on Taveras paraphernalia.

I tried buying a Taveras jersey from Majestic for Cyclone, but they told me they were all sold out.

SSSSSSShhhhhhhhhh I'm trying to manipulate the world's futures prices on Taveras swag.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 01:11 PM
SSSSSSShhhhhhhhhh I'm trying to manipulate the world's futures prices on Taveras swag.

How's that workin' for ya?

cincrazy
08-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I can promise you that I'll do a better job than Mark Berry. In my sleep. :D

This just in, Helen Keller just held a press conference to announce that she can also do a better job than Mark Berry.

cincrazy
08-13-2009, 01:16 PM
You can be my team's Mark Sheldon... :)

I can handle that :cool:.

*BaseClogger*
08-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I can handle that :cool:.

It's like writing the news stories for the North Korean press!

GAC
08-13-2009, 05:26 PM
Manager- Nate
Batting Coach- GAC
Pitching Coach- Ltlabner
Bullpen- Smith288
1st Base Coach- BLEEDS
3rd Base Coach- WMR

As hitting coach my instruction would be to get back to basics....

"First off gentlemen, this is a bat. It's not to be confused with the nocturnal winged animal that feeds on the blood of cattle. Though it can be used to feed on the blood of certain ballplayers who feel that they have to swing just because the pitcher threw the ball!

"Here, pass it around to get familiarized with it."

"Now you'll notice gentlemen that one end is thicker then the other. Now listen up because this is very important. You HOLD the bat by the thin end which is called the handle, and hit the ball with the THICK end."

"Also. When you get in the batter's box, which is a rectangular area designated by white chalk lines, make sure you can see the pitcher. If all you see is a guy with a mask and chest protector, then you're facing the wrong way!"

"Are there any questions?"

Degenerate39
08-15-2009, 09:06 AM

"First off gentlemen, this is a bat. It's not to be confused with the nocturnal winged animal that feeds on the blood of cattle. Though it can be used to feed on the blood of certain ballplayers who feel that they have to swing just because the pitcher threw the ball!

"Now you'll notice gentlemen that one end is thicker then the other. Now listen up because this is very important. You HOLD the bat by the thin end which is called the handle, and hit the ball with the THICK end."

"Also. When you get in the batter's box, which is a rectangular area designated by white chalk lines, make sure you can see the pitcher. If all you see is a guy with a mask and chest protector, then you're facing the wrong way!"

That's why I hired you

RANDY IN INDY
08-15-2009, 09:54 AM

You got to be tellin' us 'bout those strikes and balls and should we be swingin' or takin', coach? ;)

GAC
08-15-2009, 11:21 AM
You got to be tellin' us 'bout those strikes and balls and should we be swingin' or takin', coach? ;)

You don't teach advanced geometry to kindergarten kids. Ya gotta take it one step at a time. :p:

Instructional video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjLfkTbZ0V0

11larkin11
08-15-2009, 11:35 AM
I'll play along.

I'm filling out my entire front office, though. OK maybe not the entire thing. Close enough.

C.O.O - GIK
Assistant G.M. - JoJo
Trainer - 11Larkin11
Manager - Raisor
Bench Coach - Joseph
Bat Boy - LVJ
Special Consultants - Mario-Rijo, kaldaniels, On Base Machine, Redleg Jake, savafan, traderumor, as well as all of the many, many great posters I ran out of positions for - though I can find some spots in ticket sales or stadium ops if you like? :D

Holy crap I got picked for something haha. Can't say I have any experience in medical fields but I'll take it. I'm sure I can be better than Mann and Timmy K right?

SirFelixCat
08-15-2009, 11:44 AM

I lol'd pretty hard at that this mornin!

TheNext44
08-15-2009, 02:04 PM
I'll play along.

C.O.O - GIK
Assistant G.M. - JoJo
Trainer - 11Larkin11
Manager - Raisor
Bench Coach - Joseph
Bat Boy - LVJ

Just noticed this.

Why do you hate me? Why are you unloading this mess onto me? What have I ever done to you?

Brutus
08-15-2009, 04:56 PM
Just noticed this.

Why do you hate me? Why are you unloading this mess onto me? What have I ever done to you?

Because every other candidate was run out of town for the job :thumbup: