PDA

View Full Version : Take A Stab At Speier?

TheNext44
08-12-2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/angels-release-justin-speier.html

According to the AP via ESPN, the Angels have released RHP Justin Speier. The 35-year-old has put up a 5.18 ERA and 39/15 K/BB ratio in 40.0 innings this season.

Speier is in the third year of a four-year deal worth $18MM and he's set to earn $5.25MM in 2010. With his past success, you can bet he'll find work somewhere else.

He's got a solid K/9 ratio 8.8, and was a great setup man until last year.

Would be a nice, cheap replacement for Roenicke.

And he's Chris Speier's son.

Tom Servo
08-12-2009, 02:34 AM
I remember the outrage when we didn't sign him in 2006. Good times.

I'd take a flier on him though if the Angels cover the cost.

The Baumer
08-12-2009, 04:41 AM
Wow, I went 3 for 3 against the Angels starting pitcher tomorrow back in high school. Last year I got to watch my 13-14 year old league teammate strike out Ken Griffey Jr. in his Marlins' debut and now this!

PuffyPig
08-12-2009, 08:59 AM
I'm not sure what "he makes $5.25M in 2010" and "cheap" have in common.

redsmetz
08-12-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure what "he makes $5.25M in 2010" and "cheap" have in common.

If he clears waivers and becomes a free agent, the club that picks him up doesn't pay that salary. The Angels pay it less the ML minimum ($400K) next year. If we use him the finally month, we would be him only about $67K (I assume the minimum is prorated by the playing season, so about 1/6 of the minnie. Actually, now that I think about it, since they gave him his release, he may not have to clear waivers, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, he wouldnt' be costly. That doesn't address whether he helps the club or not.

schroomytunes
08-12-2009, 09:36 AM
I think I would pass on Speier, yeah he would be cheap but his pitching style is not a fit for GABP. He gives up way too many homers for a Middle Reliever, and is a 2:1 flyball/ Groundball pitcher. Those stats alone spell disaster here!

Johnny Footstool
08-12-2009, 11:23 AM
He's been hurt for the past two seasons.

Tom Servo
08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
If he clears waivers and becomes a free agent, the club that picks him up doesn't pay that salary. The Angels pay it less the ML minimum ($400K) next year. If we use him the finally month, we would be him only about $67K (I assume the minimum is prorated by the playing season, so about 1/6 of the minnie. Actually, now that I think about it, since they gave him his release, he may not have to clear waivers, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, he wouldnt' be costly. That doesn't address whether he helps the club or not.
According to the Los Angles Times the Angels flat out released him and he's now a free agent, leaving the Angels to pay whatever's left of his contract. So whoever signs him only has to pay the minimum.

Team Clark
08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I think I would pass on Speier, yeah he would be cheap but his pitching style is not a fit for GABP. He gives up way too many homers for a Middle Reliever, and is a 2:1 flyball/ Groundball pitcher. Those stats alone spell disaster here!

Cheap replacement for Burton, who is not all they way back.

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
According to the Los Angles Times the Angels flat out released him and he's now a free agent, leaving the Angels to pay whatever's left of his contract. So whoever signs him only has to pay the minimum.

Seems very suspicious. What do we know about his condition?

Will M
08-12-2009, 01:44 PM

probably a lot since his dad is a Reds coach :)

seems like a no risk pickup for the Reds

Chip R
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM

You want to know what condition his condition is in? ;)

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 02:56 PM
You want to know what condition his condition is in? ;)

Just stopped in to see that.