PDA

View Full Version : Danny Herrera

Kc61
08-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Ever think that 15 years from now Herrera may have had the best career of anyone in the famous Hamilton/Volquez trade? I'm not joking.

Herrera just seems to be getting better. He had a little rough patch earlier in the season, but I thought he was being a bit heavily used then. He looked excellent last night.

This is the kind of lefty reliever who could have a very long and productive career in the major leagues. I don't know if he'll ever be a Franco/Orosco who pitches seemingly forever, but I'm glad the Reds asked for him in the trade.

westofyou
08-12-2009, 11:33 AM
This is the kind of lefty reliever who could have a very long and productive career in the major leagues. I don't know if he'll ever be a Franco/Orosco who pitches seemingly forever, but I'm glad the Reds asked for him in the trade.

I like little lefties finding their home in Cincinnati, very Freddie Norman.

bucksfan2
08-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I go back and forth on Danny. I just wonder how often he can get buy throwing up slow junk. I wonder if he will be exposed as the league gets to see him a 2nd or 3rd time.

jojo
08-12-2009, 11:38 AM
LOOGYs have 9 lives.

redsmetz
08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
I think the critical piece for Herrara (and really any pitcher) is Location - if he's hitting his spots and not getting behind on batters, then he's generally sitting in the driver's seat. If he's missing just slightly and getting balls called, he gets into trouble. I guess it's possible that someone's going to decide to just go up there and sit on the first hittable pitch, but that's where the Location comes in, isn't it? Hit the spots, especially on the edges of the zone and it's hard to sit and wait. I'd love to see what his ratio of called strikes versus swing strikes is.

westofyou
08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Comps by size

REER
1945-2009

LEFT HANDED PITCHERS
HEIGHT < 69
ERA vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
HEIGHT displayed only--not a sorting criteria

GAMES G ERA HT
1 Bobby Shantz 537 0.58 5'6"
2 Fred Norman 403 0.01 5'8"
3 Luis Arroyo 244 0.04 5'8"
4 Vic Lombardi 223 0.18 5'7"
5 Stubby Overmire 205 -.45 5'7"
6 Mickey Haefner 194 0.03 5'8"
7 Jackie Collum 171 -.09 5'7"
8 Dan Boone 61 0.20 5'8"
9 Shane Nance 49 -.75 5'8"
10 Marv Rotblatt 35 -.59 5'7"
T11 Daniel Garibay 30 -1.39 5'8"
T11 Fabio Castro 30 1.19 5'7"
13 Takahito Nomura 21 -4.45 5'7"
14 Rene Monteagudo 14 -3.64 5'7"
15 Max Wilson 9 -3.42 5'7"
16 Daniel Herrera 7 -3.07 5'7"

Bumstead
08-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Ever think that 15 years from now Herrera may have had the best career of anyone in the famous Hamilton/Volquez trade? I'm not joking.

Herrera just seems to be getting better. He had a little rough patch earlier in the season, but I thought he was being a bit heavily used then. He looked excellent last night.

If this turns out to be the case then well...nothing against Hererra, as I think he can be a serviceable Loogy for a number of years, but it would be an irrelevant trade should he become the best player of the trade. Hopefully Volquez comes back in 2011 with a vengence!

Bum

Rojo
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm rooting for Danny Ray but the odds are again 'em.

Here's his ceiling:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/e/eichhma01.shtml

HokieRed
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Here's his ceiling:

11 seasons with a 3.00 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. Not a bad ceiling.

Sea Ray
08-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Here's his ceiling:

If he has an eleven year career with an ERA of 3.00 that'd be great. Especially since he's lefthanded. I've been a little surprised that he's done so well against LH hitters since his pitch is the screwball

Rojo
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
11 seasons with a 3.00 ERA and 1.24 WHIP. Not a bad ceiling.

And not bad for a guy who couldn't break a window.

Brutus
08-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I've been on Danny-Ray's bandwagon all season. If he can consistently throw strikes and improve on his command, he will be fine. I have not seen many hitters hit him this year unless he's gotten into trouble, fallen behind in the count and hung a breaking ball.

A Justin Speier type in the offseason, and a re-emergence of Jared Burton and the Reds' pen could very well be back in business again next season.

red-in-la
08-12-2009, 04:47 PM
I like little lefties finding their home in Cincinnati, very Freddie Norman.

Or maybe, John Franco?

SMcGavin
08-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I've been on the DRH bandwagon since last year. All he does is get results, and he is an absolute blast to watch. RPs are always volitaile but he was a stud in the minors, he's cheap, and he's been pretty good up here, no reason to think Danny won't be a part of the bullpen for the forseeable future. Just don't box him in as a LOOGY yet.

Ltlabner
08-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Enjoy the low cost production and entertainment value of watching him work...for now.

Don't fall in love with him and do silly things like extend contracts and such. Know his role & limitations and work to maximize his strengths. If someone offers you something interesting in trade for him take it and run like the wind.

Brutus
08-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Enjoy the low cost production and entertainment value of watching him work...for now.

Don't fall in love with him and do silly things like extend contracts and such. Know his role & limitations and work to maximize his strengths. If someone offers you something interesting in trade for him take it and run like the wind.

Agree with all of this. Would I pay him $3.5 mil a year? Absolutely not. But just know what value he provides and how much to pay for it, and it's a bargain.

nate
08-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Dr. H is one of my favorite Reds this year.

I wish he'd go back to the cap with the brim so flat it's two-dimensional.

westofyou
08-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Or maybe, John Franco?

Franco is small, very true, but DH is really small, pre 1900 small.

Plus he has that screwball, a pitch Fred Norman was not allowed to use as he bombed out of 3-5 organizations. The Reds said use it.... and he was a a nice league average guy whose presence in a series was bound to mess at least one guys rhythm up.

Topcat
08-13-2009, 06:51 AM

Sheesh you are such a buzzkill:rolleyes:, I love this kid and hope he flourishes for many years to come as a Red. The season has had some bright moments in it (few and far apart) but lets rejoice and send positive praise towards him.

TheNext44
08-13-2009, 07:44 AM
There is no reason to think that he can't have a nice, long career as lefty in the pen, besides his size and velocity.

His stats are fine. If you looked at his stats as a pro, and had no idea what he looked like or how hard he threw, you would salivate.

He had a 9.4 K/9 ratio in the minors, a 3.8 K/BB ratio and a .36 HR/9 ratio.

So far in the majors, he has a 7.8 K/9, a 2.1 K/BB and a .84 HR/9.

He's been around the league at least twice now, and has actually gotten better the second time around. Teams now have a scouting report against him, and they still can't hit him.

As long as his location stays as good as it has been, and he stays healthy, I think he can have a very nice, very long career in the pen.

traderumor
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Franco is small, very true, but DH is really small, pre 1900 small.

Plus he has that screwball, a pitch Fred Norman was not allowed to use as he bombed out of 3-5 organizations. The Reds said use it.... and he was a a nice league average guy whose presence in a series was bound to mess at least one guys rhythm up.I was ole Freddie in many a backyard wiffle ball game. You can throw a screwgie in wiffle ball with little effort, so no arm problems :thumbup:

jojo
08-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I was ole Freddie in many a backyard wiffle ball game. You can throw a screwgie in wiffle ball with little effort, so no arm problems :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BcxbqN05ZY