PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Cordero appreciation thread

mlh1981
08-12-2009, 11:02 AM
With all the injuries and misfortune that this team has suffered, Cordero has risen above it all. His numbers this year are fantastic--1.79 ERA and 25 saves. He has been THE face of consistency for this organization in what has otherwise been a very disappointing season. Last night, he was on the ropes, but found a way to get it done. To get through Pujols and Holliday like that was quite remarkable, and and microcosm of his season as a whole.

BLEEDS
08-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Yes, he would actually be worth his contract with his "base" pitching numbers (ERA, WHIP) - IFF we actually had more save opportunities for him!!

Otherwise, ~$500K per save is not really a good ROI for his salary.

The guy IS one of the best closers out there though, IMO, and a valuable asset to have on a team, especially if you actually have 50 or so games to save!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

mroby85
08-12-2009, 12:39 PM
CoCo is one of my favorites. He's been stellar this year!

Moosie52
08-12-2009, 02:06 PM
He's the iceman. It's hard to believe other teams (good teams) aren't beating down Walt's door, even considering his contract.

fewfirstchoice
08-12-2009, 02:28 PM
I have a very cool story about Coco to tell.

I along with my wife and 6 year old son went to the game the other hight when Lehr pitched his complete game and Rolens first homer. Great game Lehr was awesome and now he is Blues(my sons) new favorite player. But now to the Coco story. We were sitting right by the Reds bullpen sec. 101 row C seats 1,2,3. In about the 5th inn. Coco came out and was looking up into the crowd. Myself wearing a Cordero jersey I thought it would be a great time to make eye contact and show him I was wearing his jersey. So I waved and he waved back. While he was looking back at me I turned my back toward him and pointed with my thumb to the back of my jersey at his name. When he saw that he smiled from ear to ear and gave me 2 thumbs up. My wife and son both saw and thought it was awesome as did I. SO I never really thought anything else about it after it happened.

So when the last pitch was thrown me and my family was watching at the fireworks then we saw the bullpen guys walking out of the pen to go meet the other players in the middle of the field to shake hands. So as we were watching the bull pen pitchers walk out Coco was last. When he came out he looked up toward us. When he did he pointed at me and smiled. I waved and when I did I noticed he had a baseaball in his hand. He pointed once again and held the ball up in his hand and threw it to me. While i know having a 6yr old child with didnt hurt but that 100 bucks I paid for that jersey finally paid off. It made me fel like a 6yr old again myself. My face was glowing and was my sons. So I have always been a huge fan of Cocos and always will be. But he also gained 2 more in my son and wife.

Also that night my son was given a baseball by the bullpen coach hes a nice guy. Then Nick Masset, Daniel Ray Herra, and Carlos Fischer signed it afterwards. Also after the game we went by the real Reds set and got Jim Day to sign the ball aswell. SO my son had a very very good night. Seeing his face after all that was one of the greatest moments in my life. Getting the Coco ball was a great moment aswell.

But Kip Wells is sort of stuck up. Hes the only one that didnt even wave at my son when he yelled at them. Lehr was warming up but he still waved. Some guys just never learn why there doing what there doing.

bounty37h
08-12-2009, 03:04 PM
pretty cool story, makes me think back to being a kid and things like that, the extras beyond the baselines that can really make a difference to fans, or make reg people into fans.

big boy
08-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Yes, he would actually be worth his contract with his "base" pitching numbers (ERA, WHIP) - IFF we actually had more save opportunities for him!!

Otherwise, ~$500K per save is not really a good ROI for his salary.

Here is what Joe Posnanski says here (http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2009/08/11/ricciardis/) about Coco:

Another contract that has not bombed yet but probably will: Francisco Cordero 4 years, $46 million. Two more years in Cincinnati at $12 million, plus a club option. This does not look like a bad deal at the moment Cordero is having a sensational year at 34. But a wise baseball man man once told me: If you have a team whose highest paid player is the closer, you have a bad team.

Kingspoint
08-12-2009, 05:27 PM
I have no appreciation for a player that earns too large piece of the payroll pie while participating in too few of the total at-bats of the team for a team that's mismanaged by the front office.

There are a billion other people on this planet who deserve more appreciation.

texasdave
08-12-2009, 05:32 PM
I have no appreciation for a player that earns too large piece of the payroll pie while participating in too few of the total at-bats of the team for a team that's mismanaged by the front office.

Noone would turn down that kind of contract if it was offered to them. Ok, very few people. If the front office signed Cordero to a bad contract that is on them. So how much he makes is really not in play here. Coco has done an outstanding job.

BluegrassRedleg
08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
I think Cordero has done a wonderful job this year. However, he's an example of really bad judgment when it comes to how much money to spend on the position when the lineup is so poor. The Red Sox or Yankees may be able to invest 40-some million on a guy over three years to close games, but not the Reds.

Kingspoint
08-12-2009, 08:39 PM
I think Cordero has done a wonderful job this year. However, he's an example of really bad judgment when it comes to how much money to spend on the position when the lineup is so poor. The Red Sox or Yankees may be able to invest 40-some million on a guy over three years to close games, but not the Reds.

It was a bone-headed move, at best.

It's like buying a multi-million dollar mansion on a postman's salary. It sure looks good from the end of the driveway, but you get up close and it's poorly maintained, falling apart, and empty inside.

mlh1981
08-12-2009, 10:56 PM

This isn't about other people in other occupations. This is about a baseball player. Is his contract ridiculous? I won't argue with you on that point. No closer should be given that kind of contract on a small market team like the Reds. I'm just appreciating the guy for going out there and getting the job done when called upon.

BigPoppa
08-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Great story fewfirstchoice. :thumbup:

And count me in as a CoCo fan. He's done all that has been asked of him this year.......not his fault that we're simply not ahead at the end of the game much this year.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-13-2009, 01:23 AM
I have a very cool story about Coco to tell.

I along with my wife and 6 year old son went to the game the other hight when Lehr pitched his complete game and Rolens first homer. Great game Lehr was awesome and now he is Blues(my sons) new favorite player. But now to the Coco story. We were sitting right by the Reds bullpen sec. 101 row C seats 1,2,3. In about the 5th inn. Coco came out and was looking up into the crowd. Myself wearing a Cordero jersey I thought it would be a great time to make eye contact and show him I was wearing his jersey. So I waved and he waved back. While he was looking back at me I turned my back toward him and pointed with my thumb to the back of my jersey at his name. When he saw that he smiled from ear to ear and gave me 2 thumbs up. My wife and son both saw and thought it was awesome as did I. SO I never really thought anything else about it after it happened.

So when the last pitch was thrown me and my family was watching at the fireworks then we saw the bullpen guys walking out of the pen to go meet the other players in the middle of the field to shake hands. So as we were watching the bull pen pitchers walk out Coco was last. When he came out he looked up toward us. When he did he pointed at me and smiled. I waved and when I did I noticed he had a baseaball in his hand. He pointed once again and held the ball up in his hand and threw it to me. While i know having a 6yr old child with didnt hurt but that 100 bucks I paid for that jersey finally paid off. It made me fel like a 6yr old again myself. My face was glowing and was my sons. So I have always been a huge fan of Cocos and always will be. But he also gained 2 more in my son and wife.

Also that night my son was given a baseball by the bullpen coach hes a nice guy. Then Nick Masset, Daniel Ray Herra, and Carlos Fischer signed it afterwards. Also after the game we went by the real Reds set and got Jim Day to sign the ball aswell. SO my son had a very very good night. Seeing his face after all that was one of the greatest moments in my life. Getting the Coco ball was a great moment aswell.

But Kip Wells is sort of stuck up. Hes the only one that didnt even wave at my son when he yelled at them. Lehr was warming up but he still waved. Some guys just never learn why there doing what there doing.

Great story. I have no problem with Cordero, although it does seem that Dusty did not use him in extra inning situations earlier this year where he could have been used, and he's been worse in non save situations, which is really frustrating.

fewfirstchoice
08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
Needless to say Im a huge fan of Coco and have been for a while. Within the first week after he signed with the Reds I had ordered his jersey. While I would hate to see him traded I would understand it. The 12 mil. in the books for him could be spread around better. But I would rather see the Reds unload one of Harang or Arroyo. All the salaries are alomost the same. I say this because we have tried to go cheap in the closer roll before and we all know what happened then. So take say Arroyos 12 mil and spread it around. Give a FA starter say 5 mil., give a FA SS say 4 mil., then get 1 or 2 bullpen arms with the 3mil. left over. Thats what I say.

bounty37h
08-13-2009, 09:49 AM

So its his fault the Reds pay him that much? Ridiculous man

bounty37h
08-13-2009, 09:51 AM
This isn't about other people in other occupations. This is about a baseball player. Is his contract ridiculous? I won't argue with you on that point. No closer should be given that kind of contract on a cheap team like the Reds who wont spend money on other players/positions to give the team leads to give Cordero an opportunity to earn saves more often. I'm just appreciating the guy for going out there and getting the job done when called upon.

Fixed that for ya ;)

redlegs2370
08-13-2009, 02:52 PM
I admire Francisco for the passion he has for pitching and getting the win. I know he gets a lot of money and that money could be used on everyday players but in closing situations he has been very good, especially this season.

mlh1981
08-13-2009, 03:17 PM
Fixed that for ya ;)

Fair enough.