PDA

View Full Version : The steroids shadow

Eric_the_Red
08-12-2009, 12:08 PM
I thought this was a well-written article from Bill Simmons on the way steroid revelations can color our perception of past events, and whether or not fans would change history if it meant cheating: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/090811&sportCat=mlb

Homer Bailey
08-12-2009, 12:31 PM
Simmons is very against posting the actual text of an article rather than posting the link to it, and is very proactive in this fight, so I would advise those in the thread not to post the text.

That being said, it is a great article, and certainly worth a read. Every Simmons article/podcast is worth a read/listen.

Eric_the_Red
08-12-2009, 12:48 PM
The point about Cubs fans be willing to trade in a heart breaking collapse for a steroid fueled championship was interesting. I wonder how many here would take a World Series championship from the Reds next year if later it was revealed that Votto and Bruce were juiced?

Chip R
08-12-2009, 01:27 PM
The point about Cubs fans be willing to trade in a heart breaking collapse for a steroid fueled championship was interesting. I wonder how many here would take a World Series championship from the Reds next year if later it was revealed that Votto and Bruce were juiced?

I'd say the vast majority would.

cincrazy
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Anyone sit and wonder how many, if any, 1990 Reds were on steroids? It's an interesting question. I'm too young to remember that team, so I couldn't venture any guesses at who. But I certainly have my doubts about some guys from 1999.

Eric_the_Red
08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Anyone sit and wonder how many, if any, 1990 Reds were on steroids? It's an interesting question. I'm too young to remember that team, so I couldn't venture any guesses at who. But I certainly have my doubts about some guys from 1999.

Billy Bates was a juicer, no doubt. ;)

Looking at the '90 roster, those on my radar (although I am accusing them of nothing) would be Glenn Braggs, Paul O'Neiil, Eric Davis, and Rob Dibble. Especially Braggs. I remember when he broke a bat across his back while swinging.:eek: