PDA

View Full Version : Ignorant Cubs fan throws beer at Shane Victorino

OnBaseMachine
08-13-2009, 02:00 AM
I can't stand the Cubs or their ignorant fans. I hope they go another 100 years without winning a World Series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B1K2OdUxHM

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportsprose/504x_cubs_fans_copy.jpg

http://media1.suntimes.com/multimedia/081209cub2.jpg_20090812_22_22_57_4062-282-400.imageContent

George Anderson
08-13-2009, 02:06 AM
The guy who was wrongly accused kinda looks like George Costanza. That would have made a good Seinfeld episode.

WMR
08-13-2009, 02:09 AM
Cubs fans are such idiots.

Wonder if the guy who actually did it will be charged with a crime?

SirFelixCat
08-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Why am I not surprised in the least by this being a Cubs fan? Absolute, without a doubt, worst fan base in American professional sports.

KronoRed
08-13-2009, 03:41 AM
Contract the Cubs.

Strikes Out Looking
08-13-2009, 07:40 AM
The phrase "Ignorant Cub Fans" is sort of like a double negative.

Hoosier Red
08-13-2009, 09:05 AM
To be fair, they aren't the first nor the last fans to do this. I remember someone trying to hit the Mets outfielder with a paper cup when he was recording one of the last outs in the '99 playoff for the playoffs game.

But yes, by and large, Cubs fans are idiots.

Chip R
08-13-2009, 09:08 AM

It's actually a redundancy. Kind of like, "Stupid idiots".

HeatherC1212
08-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I happened to flip over to that game last night and saw when this happened. That was absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad the guy got thrown out of the game. The announcers seemed to imply that he may be banned from the ballpark for at least the rest of this season too. Just when I think I've seen it all from Cubs fans. *shakes head* :thumbdown

RollyInRaleigh
08-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Any time that something like that happens, the culprit should have to be publicly humiliated in some nasty fashion, in a way that is as rude and classless as the act that they committed.

UKFlounder
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Does being publicly acknowledged as a Cubs fan count?

Any time that something like that happens, the culprit should have to be publicly humiliated in some nasty fashion, in a way that is as rude and classless as the act that they committed.

RichRed
08-13-2009, 09:40 AM
The goat made him do it.

Chip R
08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Does being publicly acknowledged as a Cubs fan count?

I would think that would be humiliation enough.

BCubb2003
08-13-2009, 09:52 AM
publicly humiliated in some nasty fashion

He'd probably enjoy it.

redsbuckeye
08-13-2009, 10:25 AM
"Ignorant" is being too kind.

KoryMac5
08-13-2009, 11:37 AM
I happened to flip over to that game last night and saw when this happened. That was absolutely ridiculous and I'm glad the guy got thrown out of the game. The announcers seemed to imply that he may be banned from the ballpark for at least the rest of this season too. Just when I think I've seen it all from Cubs fans. *shakes head* :thumbdown

If he is banned from Cubs games I hope MLB bans him from the rest of the ballparks around the league. Don't want him making the short drive to Chicago's second home, GABP.

Chip R
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Shane probably felt like he was playing in Philly. ;)

Hoosier Red
08-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Shane probably felt like he was playing in Philly. ;)

Was the cup filled with batteries?

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Was the cup filled with batteries?

Was JD Drew in town?

guttle11
08-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Was JD Drew in town?

He was dressed as Santa Claus.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 01:19 PM

But it was beer, not a snowball

BRM
08-13-2009, 01:21 PM

That's why people confused him with John Wall.

UKFlounder
08-13-2009, 01:21 PM
If he is banned from Cubs games I hope MLB bans him from the rest of the ballparks around the league. Don't want him making the short drive to Chicago's second home, GABP.

Actually, if they wanted to torture and humiliate him, let him spend the year watching the Reds....:(

MrCinatit
08-13-2009, 03:28 PM

I was about to say the same thing. I once met what I thought was an intelligent Cubs fan. Ended up the guy was so stinking drunk, he was randomly slurring words together into a coherent, semi-intelligent meaning, a la the eternal number of monkeys slamming at typewriters.

To be fair, they aren't the first nor the last fans to do this. I remember someone trying to hit the Mets outfielder with a paper cup when he was recording one of the last outs in the '99 playoff for the playoffs game.

But yes, by and large, Cubs fans are idiots.

Alas, yes. In an early biography, I remember Pete Rose writing about being angered by some Reds fans who dumped beer on Bob Watson after he ran into the wall, lying crumbled at the base.

Eric_the_Red
08-13-2009, 03:30 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I once met what I thought was an intelligent Cubs fan. Ended up the guy was so stinking drunk, he was randomly slurring words together into a coherent, semi-intelligent meaning, a la the eternal number of monkeys slamming at typewriters.

:thumbup: Well played, sir!

Degenerate39
08-13-2009, 03:37 PM
CHICAGO (AP)—Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino(notes) has filed a police report after getting showered with beer at Wrigley Field.

Chicago police say the report was filed Thursday. Police say they are investigating it as a “simple battery.”

Victorino was hit with a cup of beer thrown from the bleachers as he was catching a fly ball Wednesday night. The Phillies beat the Chicago Cubs 12-5.

The chairman of the Cubs apologized in person to Victorino on Thursday. Cubs manager Lou Piniella and general manager Jim Hendry also offered apologies.

Big Klu
08-13-2009, 04:10 PM
The chairman of the Cubs apologized in person to Victorino on Thursday. Cubs manager Lou Piniella and general manager Jim Hendry also offered apologies.

Victorino should have told all three of them what to do with that apology. What hypocrites! The Cubs cultivate and actively market that atmosphere as "The Bleacher Bum Experience", then apologize afterward? They got exactly what they wanted--a frat house atmosphere with drunkards spending beaucoup dollars on tickets, beer, food, and souvenirs. Why would they want to apologize?

Chip R
08-13-2009, 04:21 PM
CHICAGO (AP)—Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino(notes) has filed a police report after getting showered with beer at Wrigley Field.

Chicago police say the report was filed Thursday. Police say they are investigating it as a “simple battery.”

Victorino was hit with a cup of beer thrown from the bleachers as he was catching a fly ball Wednesday night. The Phillies beat the Chicago Cubs 12-5.

Good for him. :thumbup:

George Anderson
08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
They got exactly what they wanted--a frat house atmosphere with drunkards spending beaucoup dollars on tickets, beer, food, and souvenirs. Why would they want to apologize?

I really think if Prohibition ever came back (God forbid) that the Cubs would struggle big time to fill the stadium. I have been to quite a few games there and you are right, there are many more frat boy types there as opposed to true baseball fans.

Chip R
08-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I really think if Prohibition ever came back (God forbid) that the Cubs would struggle big time to fill the stadium. I have been to quite a few games there and you are right, there are many more frat boy types there as opposed to true baseball fans.

Truer words were never spoken. And it goes double for night games.

GAC
08-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Boy if there is one thing I can't stand is drunk fans doing stupid things. ;)

How do you ban someone from a ballgame? How do they enforce it? What? Do they take the person's picture and put it up by the gate for the ticket takers?

Or do they put it on the back of milk cartons with the caption.... "If you see this mug at a Cubs game, call this number"?

Chip R
08-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Boy if there is one thing I can't stand is drunk fans doing stupid things. ;)

I know. They go to bars afterwards and drunkenly stare at young women half their age. :p:

GAC
08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
I know. They go to bars afterwards and drunkenly stare at young women half their age. :p:

Yeah, but they don't throw beer on them and get banned from the bar. :D

Reds Fanatic
08-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Cubs fans are complete morons. And this one is getting arrested.

CHICAGO -- Chicago police charged a 21-year-old man with two misdemeanor counts Thursday in connection with a beer-throwing incident that showered Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Shane Victorino.

John Macchione of Bartlett, Ill., was charged with one count of battery and one count of illegal conduct within a sports facility, according to police.

Victorino was hit by a cup of beer thrown from the bleachers while trying to catch a fly ball in the Philadelphia Phillies' 12-5 win over the Chicago Cubs on Wednesday night.

The All-Star outfielder managed to make the grab, and Cubs chairman Crane Kenney apologized to him in person before Thursday's game.

"It's part of the game. It's one of those things that happens and I just want to make sure that guy gets what's due," Victorino said before the Phillies' 6-1 win.

"I think he needs to be held accountable. But for the most part, I just see it as the guy thought it was fun. It is what it is. It didn't cost me in any way and it didn't hurt me in any way. It's part of the ballgame," he said.

Victorino filed the police report Thursday. Shortly after the game, police said a man turned himself in.

Cubs manager Lou Piniella and general manager Jim Hendry also apologized to Victorino.

"I said, 'Listen, sorry," Kenney said after talking to Victorino near the Phillies' dugout.

"It shouldn't have happened here. It's not a good reflection on our city or organization," he said. "We're going to do whatever we can to make sure that things are made right here. And he said, 'I know you are and I appreciate your help.'"

Victorino was on the warning track and in front of the ivy-covered wall, set to catch a sacrifice fly by Jake Fox in the fifth inning, when the cup of beer came flying out of the bleachers and went all over him.

According to local media reports, security personnel questioned a man who was taunting Victorino while the fan who actually threw the beer got away.

"I just think that, not so much that I want to press charges or file anything against him. I just think he's probably sitting at home thinking he got away with it. I hope that he gets the understanding that you can't be doing things like that," Victorino said.

"I don't think he'd be walking too far if something like that happened in the streets. It's just not something that you do. For the most part, in the big picture, this guy should be held accountable and something should be done," he said.

Kenney called the incident "an assault."

"The obvious one is he threw some beer on him. But let's say the beer was in his eyes and he got hit in the head. Then, what's the next thing that gets thrown from the stands?" Kenney said.

"It just can't happen for safety reasons and it's just not right."

One of baseball's most-known beer showers also came in Chicago. In the 1959 World Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers, White Sox outfielder Al Smith was at the wall trying to track a home run when a fan's beer sprayed in his face.

The picture of Smith getting doused -- the beer spilled when the fan tried to catch the ball -- remains one of baseball's most famous photos.

mth123
08-14-2009, 03:03 AM
Incidents like this happen in a lot of places. It isn't unique to Chicago.

In fact, the first one of these I can remember actually happened right in Cincy in Riverfront Stadium. IIRC, Bob Watson of the Astros went back on a fly to Left and ran into the wall. He hit hard enough that he went down in a heap (I think he actually broke his glasses and had something in his eyes). While he was lying there, several classy Reds' fans poured beer and other stuff over the wall down on top of him. I remember Cesar Cedeno, who was the Astros CF at the time, saying something to the effect of wanting to go after them.

There are a lot of classless scummy people out there. It happens everywhere, and this incident was in the 70s so its not unique to this era either. These fans are awful, but it should not reflect on Chicago or their fans as a whole IMO.

WMR
08-14-2009, 09:20 AM

In fact, the first one of these I can remember actually happened right in Cincy in Riverfront Stadium. IIRC, Bob Watson of the Astros went back on a fly to Left and ran into the wall. He hit hard enough that he went down in a heap (I think he actually broke his glasses and had something in his eyes). While he was lying there, several classy Reds' fans poured beer and other stuff over the wall down on top of him. I remember Cesar Cedeno, who was the Astros CF at the time, saying something to the effect of wanting to go after them.

There are a lot of classless scummy people out there. It happens everywhere, and this incident was in the 70s so its not unique to this era either. These fans are awful, but it should not reflect on Chicago or their fans as a whole IMO.

Have you ever sat in the bleachers at wrigley? I'm guessing not. They are, as a whole, a unique brand of vile.

redsfan1966
08-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Man, I really dont want to sound like a prude--but during my trip to Wrigley this year me and the missus had the pleasure of sitting next to three wonderfully inebriated Cub fans. They werent particularly rude but they were horribly obnoxious. The thing that got me was that the tickets (unless they were comped by friends, family or employer) where I was werent cheap. What a waste to spend that kind of jack to order beers every half inning (yes, its true) and yammer incessantly while missing the game. Why not just watch the game at a bar and save the cash?

The saving grace is that after about four innings the drunks (one dude, two women -- nice odds, I guess) left. Those sitting behind me got a good laugh as I rolled my eyes as they exited.

mth123
08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Have you ever sat in the bleachers at wrigley? I'm guessing not. They are, as a whole, a unique brand of vile.

I have. Probably more than you. I've sat next to obnoxious drunks in Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit .... and even in the front row boxes next to the Reds dugout in Cincy.

Obnoxious people are everywhere. Its a fact of life these days.

WMR
08-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Of course there are obnoxious people everywhere. It's the VOLUME of disgusting, obnoxious, boorish behaving drunks and creeps that sets Chicago Cubs fans apart.

I'm amazed if you're really trying to maintain that you'll encounter nearly as much bad/boorish behavior in Pittsburgh as you do in Chicago.

The only fans that come remotely close to the vileness of the Scrubs fans are those residing in Philly.

westofyou
08-15-2009, 12:20 AM

http://www.astrosdaily.com/players/p/timeline/Watson_Bob.html

May 12 1974 - Cincinnati fans hurl beer, ice, cups and insults at an injured Bob Watson after the left-fielder crashes head-first into the fence. It happens in the nightcap of a doubleheader loss at Riverfront. Watson's glasses shatter. He gets twelve stitches to his face at a local hospital.

Red in Chicago
08-15-2009, 01:00 AM
I have. Probably more than you. I've sat next to obnoxious drunks in Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit .... and even in the front row boxes next to the Reds dugout in Cincy.

Obnoxious people are everywhere. Its a fact of life these days.

Truer words have never been spoken.

traderumor
08-15-2009, 01:54 PM
May 12 1974 - Cincinnati fans hurl beer, ice, cups and insults at an injured Bob Watson after the left-fielder crashes head-first into the fence. It happens in the nightcap of a doubleheader loss at Riverfront. Watson's glasses shatter. He gets twelve stitches to his face at a local hospital. Maybe Bob had flipped them off earlier in the game ;):dunno: