PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Denied by Olympics

Benihana
08-13-2009, 04:13 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/majors/international-affairs/2009/268707.html

"Just wait til 2020!"

Not sure if that applies to the Olympics or the Reds. :rolleyes:

HeatherC1212
08-13-2009, 04:38 PM
Golf in the Olympics? :eek: I can see Rugby in there since it's a team sport but the golf thing doesn't work for me. *shrugs* Oh well. I guess this means softball is still out too? That's a bummer. Those women don't really have anywhere else big to play and that's a shame that they won't have the Olympics to look forward to anymore. :(

M2
08-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Nobody's sending their A teams in men's soccer. I've got a funny feeling if the sport were popular in Europe rather than in the Americas and the Far East, it would be in there without question.

Reds4Life
08-13-2009, 04:46 PM
I'll confess, I hardly ever watch the olympics. Most of the sports in it are boring to me. I would have watched some baseball. The only good part about golf, maybe Tiger will play. If he does, I'd watch that.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
I really hope they don't try and do a team event like I've heard rumored for golf.

We have those every year.

It's called either the Ryder Cup or the President's Cup.

And the problem with golf is that how many host cities/nations really have world class facilities?

M2
08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
Golf in the Olympics should be a timed event with time bonuses/penalties for birdies and bogeys, kind of like biathalon.

Obviously you'd have to haul your own bag too.

Reds4Life
08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Golf in the Olympics should be a timed event with time bonuses/penalties for birdies and bogeys, kind of like biathalon.

Obviously you'd have to haul your own bag too.

And no cart usage, must hoof the entire 18 holes.

Chip R
08-13-2009, 06:53 PM
And no cart usage, must hoof the entire 18 holes.

And chug a beer after every other hole.

Reds4Life
08-13-2009, 07:00 PM

I like your thinking.

We should play golf sometime. :cool:

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Played in a golf tourney one time where you subtracted from your score the number of beers you drank.

I can't imagine the Olympics would go for that, however.

Danny Serafini
08-13-2009, 09:29 PM
I've got a funny feeling if the sport were popular in Europe rather than in the Americas and the Far East, it would be in there without question.

I fully believe that. The biggest thing holding baseball back is the fact that Europe stinks at it.

Danny Serafini
08-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I'll confess, I hardly ever watch the olympics. Most of the sports in it are boring to me.

It's sort of weird, because I'm the same way about a lot of the sports. I wouldn't normally spend five seconds watching handball or field hockey. I don't know where you could even watch the modern pentathlon. But slap the Olympic rings on it and I can't get enough. I'm just a sucker that way.

BCubb2003
08-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm intrigued by this new Olympic event golf and rugby. I guess it's like a biathlon or something. Should be cool.

KronoRed
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Nobody's sending their A teams in men's soccer. I've got a funny feeling if the sport were popular in Europe rather than in the Americas and the Far East, it would be in there without question.

No question it would be in, and their reasons for tossing softball out are just as bad.

Pfft.

Reds Fanatic
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
The sad thing is the Olympics take out real sports like baseball and softball but they continue to have ridiculous sports like synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.

M2
08-13-2009, 11:31 PM
The sad thing is the Olympics take out real sports like baseball and softball but they continue to have ridiculous sports like synchronized swimming and rhythmic gymnastics.

I once stayed a hotel on Mallorca where competitors in the European rhythmic gymnastics competition were staying. Needless to say, after a few days of sunning myself next to them and cavorting in the Med alongside them, I became a big fan of the sport.

Well, maybe not the sport, but rhythmic gymnasts are just swell.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 11:34 PM
I once stayed a hotel on Mallorca where competitors in the European rhythmic gymnastics competition were staying. Needless to say, after a few days of sunning myself next to them and cavorting in the Med alongside them, I became a big fan of the sport.

Well, maybe not the sport, but rhythmic gymnasts are just swell.

I bet you're pretty good with a ribbon and a ball...

guttle11
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM
And the problem with golf is that how many host cities/nations really have world class facilities?

Enough. All a country needs is one great course and the ability to add a locker room and a year to make the conditions up to snuff if needed. Most countries that host an Olympics will have a great course. They're not going to Costa Rica or anything.

Golf is a more relevant worldwide than 2/3 of the sports we have now. I think an Olympic Golf tourney is long overdue. Hopefully it's either a regular 72 hole stroke play or a 36 hole qualifier with a 16 man match play tourney.

Highlifeman21
08-13-2009, 11:44 PM
So I guess no more Jennie Finch if Softball's out....

cincinnati chili
08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
This is all politics. If MLB/the union could work out a way for the stars to attend, then we'd have baseball in the Olympics in perpetuity. That's the biggest issue. The stricter drug testing required by the Olympics is also a hurdle.

I'm a fan of both MLB and the Olympics, and am just fine watching the sports I don't watch as often for a couple weeks. Cricket is pretty popular worldwide, and it's not in the Olympics either last time I checked.

LoganBuck
08-14-2009, 07:51 AM
So I guess no more Jennie Finch if Softball's out....

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCubb2003
08-14-2009, 07:53 AM
At least we won't have to worry about Edinson Volquez wearing himself out in the Olympics.

cumberlandreds
08-14-2009, 07:57 AM

Exactly. This is all about politics and getting back a little at the big bad Americans. I don't watch much of the Olympics anymore. Mainly basketball and Womens Beach Volleyball. :) So really it doesn't matter to me whether they have it or not. The Olympics have been too political for me for a long,long time.