PDA

View Full Version : Alex Gonzalez cleared waivers; Boston may have interest

redsfandan
08-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Alex Gonzalez-SS-Reds Aug. 14 - 9:34 am et

According to FOXSports.com, shortstop Alex Gonzalez has cleared waivers.

Gonzalez is now eligible to be traded to any team, and the Red Sox just so happen to be looking for a shortstop. The 32-year-old played for Boston in 2006, batting .255 with nine home runs and 50 RBI in 388 at-bats. He's hitting .210/.258/.296 this season with three dingers and 26 RBI through 243 at-bats, and is owed around $2 million.
Source: FOXSports.com
Related: Red Sox

Source: BoSox may turn to familiar face for SS help by Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi, FOXSports.com August 13, 2009, 11:47 PM

The Red Sox, aggressively pursuing a shortstop, could turn back to a player they know well.

Alex Gonzalez.

Gonzalez, the Sox's shortstop in 2006, has cleared waivers, making him eligible to be traded to any team, according to a major-league source.

The extent of the Sox's discussions with the Reds, Gonzalez's present team, is unclear. But the Sox are weighing a number of options, including Gonzalez, as they confront a pressing need at short, sources say.

Nick Green, the Sox's current starter at the position, is batting .130 with a .219 on-base percentage and .239 slugging percentage since June 24.

Jed Lowrie, a possible alternative to Green, is on the disabled list with numbness in his left forearm.

The Red Sox showed brief interest in infielder Bill Hall, who has been designated for assignment by the Brewers and last played shortstop in 2006, sources say.

The Brewers' J.J. Hardy, another shortstop in whom the Sox have interest, has yet to be placed on waivers. And Milwaukee, which demoted Hardy to Class AAA on Wednesday, might not want to trade him when his value is down.

Gonzalez, 32, is trending in the opposite direction after missing all of last season due to a compression fracture in his left knee and five weeks earlier this season following surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow.

Upon returning on July 24, Gonzalez went 1-for-21. But in August, he has batted .306-.366-.444. And the Red Sox were enamored of his defense when he played for the team in '06.

The Reds, 13 games back in the NL Central, almost certainly would be open to trading Gonzalez. They recently added payroll by acquiring Blue Jays third baseman Scott Rolen, and could save more than $1.5 million by moving the rest of Gonzalez's $5.375 million salary.

WMR
08-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Surely they're not that desperate. The Sox have gotta be too smart to go for Gonzo.

Highlifeman21
08-14-2009, 11:55 AM
Bye bye Gonzo

Degenerate39
08-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh please let them claim him

traderumor
08-14-2009, 11:57 AM
I know Theo is a super genius, but perhaps he is biased by the 2006 Gonzales he saw and thinks that is what he will be getting.

BuckeyeRedleg
The Reds, 13 games back in the NL Central, almost certainly would be open to trading Gonzalez. They recently added payroll by acquiring Blue Jays third baseman Scott Rolen, and could save more than $1.5 million by moving the rest of Gonzalez's $5.375 million salary.

The Reds not only owe Gonzalez $1.5 million+ in 2009, but are still on the hook for a $500K buyout in 2010

So dumping Gonzo (for nothing) saves the Reds over $2 million.

It's a no-brainer.

Benihana
Get it done! Move Phillips to SS for the rest of the year (unless of course they are planning on making a serious play for Hardy.)

Kc61
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Gonzo has played well of late. Just one of those guys who doesn't walk so he needs to be at the bottom of the lineup. Of which the Reds have many.

His range obviously has been impacted, but he makes the plays decently enough.

I could see Boston acquiring Gonzo for the rest of the season. They don't need an all-star shortstop right now.

BRM
08-14-2009, 11:58 AM
:pray:

BRM
08-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Get it done! Move Phillips to SS for the rest of the year (unless of course they are planning on making a serious play for Hardy.)

Will you be disappointed if neither of those options is in their plans?

Cyclone792
08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
Boston has enough offense to put them in a position that they could tolerate one such player like Gonzalez provided they find his defense to still carry significant value (and that's questionable). If they think his glove will aid them enough in the field, they may be ok just burying him 9th and dealing with the non-existent bat.

Dumb teams such as the Reds, or teams managed by Dusty Baker who insist on batting Gonzalez 2nd, do not have that type of luxury.

Regardless, the Reds can't unload Gonzalez fast enough for my tastes. Show him the door, and get Phillips some reps at shortstop the rest of the season to see what we've got.

lollipopcurve
08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
This is likely why Gonzo has been in there on a daily basis hitting high in the order. Personally, I think he's a better player than he's given credit for on this board, and I love the way he plays SS (it's an aesthetic thing).

The Sox know he can handle Boston in a pennant race -- an important consideration. Surehanded, surearmed, smart defender. Bat is better than the numbers show right now. Would be a good move for both teams, I think, as I'm sure the Reds could use the $$$ one way or another (hopefully to sign some draft picks).

BuckeyeRedleg
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
This is likely why Gonzo has been in there on a daily basis hitting high in the order. Personally, I think he's a better player than he's given credit for on this board, and I love the way he plays SS (it's an aesthetic thing).

The Sox know he can handle Boston in a pennant race -- an important consideration. Surehanded, surearmed, smart defender. Bat is better than the numbers show right now. Would be a good move for both teams, I think, as I'm sure the Reds could use the $$$ one way or another (hopefully to sign some draft picks).

Yep the money saved by letting Gonzo and Weathers go would likely be more than enough to sign Leake and Boxberger. I'm not saying it's the only way they would get signed, but as you mentioned, it will help.

Edd Roush
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
:pray:

:thumbup: Dumping AG to Boston and even paying half of his remaining salary would be a near-unanimously supported decision on Redszone.

That just doesn't happen too often.

Not having to watch AG in the two-hole would make watching the Reds' just slightly more bearable going forward.

Spring~Fields
08-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Boston has enough offense to put them in a position that they could tolerate one such player like Gonzalez provided they find his defense to still carry significant value (and that's questionable). If they think his glove will aid them enough in the field, they may be ok just burying him 9th and dealing with the non-existent bat.

Dumb teams such as the Reds, or teams managed by Dusty Baker who insist on batting Gonzalez 2nd, do not have that type of luxury.

Regardless, the Reds can't unload Gonzalez fast enough for my tastes. Show him the door, and get Phillips some reps at shortstop the rest of the season to see what we've got.

:clap::clap::clap:

KoryMac5
08-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Reds finally have the opportunity to sell high on Gonzo, they need to do it. Gonzo has given us some pretty craptastic performances early in the year. However in August he looks like he is swinging a good bat. Ship him to Boston with NO CASH for the ever popular PTBNL or cash.

By the way some folks on the Sun Deck saw BP taking grounders at short. Take it for what it's worth.

blumj
08-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Surely they're not that desperate. The Sox have gotta be too smart to go for Gonzo.

The only 2 "shortstops" on their roster right now are Nick Green and Chris Woodward, with more of the same or worse in AAA. There's no way they'd take close to the whole $2M, though.

Reds Fanatic
08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
This would be great if it happened. If the Red Sox really are interested in Gonzalez they don't have the scouting department I thought they had.

I(heart)Freel
08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
The ONLY way for the team to know if BPhil is a *possible* answer at short next year is to give him game experience there this season. Take a week or so of extra infield and then give it a whirl. Only then can you know if you need to look for a SS or if you have the luxury of looking for a SS or 2B in the off season.

RedsManRick
08-14-2009, 12:36 PM
I'm guessing Boston would take him and his salary in return for a non-prospect PTBNL. Just get his money off the books and bank it for next year.

TRF
08-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Eat the whole thing, shift BP to short for the remainder of the year and instill Sutton at 2B, see if anything is there.

lollipopcurve
08-14-2009, 12:39 PM
If the Red Sox really are interested in Gonzalez they don't have the scouting department I thought they had.

Really? My guess is that they have an excellent idea about what kind of player Gonzo is.

HokieRed
08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Too good to be true.

joshnky
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
I'm guessing Boston would take him and his salary in return for a non-prospect PTBNL. Just get his money off the books and bank it for next year.

Why would they do that? If they were willing to take on his salary they could have claimed him on waivers and gotten him for nothing. I assume (and the same will apply to Arroyo and Cordero), that the reason he cleared waivers is that no one wants to take on that salary. That suggests that if the Reds want to move any of these players they're going to have to send cash or take on some salary in return. I don't have a problem with that but wanted to point out that we're fooling ourselves if we think a team will take on all that money AND send us a player in return.

osuceltic
08-14-2009, 12:45 PM
A good move for Castellini's wallet. Other than that, I don't see much benefit. I don't see them moving Phillips to SS, and almost certainly not late in the season without time to practice the position and the turns. If he got hurt making a turn at second, the team would be crucified.

So if Gonzo is gone and Phillips isn't the SS, who is? Janish? No thanks. Valaika? Hasn't even handled Louisville. Cozart? He's not ready for that kind of jump.

I just don't see the benefit, other than saving money. If they use that money for improvements to the baseball team, fine. If they're just saving money, count me out. I actually think Gonzo plays a pretty good shortstop (he remains among the best around the bag) and, as pointed out in the article, has been hitting respectably. He is better than any in-house solutions.

Obviously, if making this kind of move is the difference between signing Leake or not signing Leake, then you make the move. But I don't believe that's the case. And I'm finished with deals that save Castellini money. Done.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Too good to be true.

Not really -- he has some value to a team like Boston, and the Reds would probably let him go for a C/D level prospect just to be out from his remaining salary.

Hell, it'd be a good deal for the Reds even if they had to kick in $500k or something.

osuceltic
08-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Why would they do that? If they were willing to take on his salary they could have claimed him on waivers and gotten him for nothing. I assume (and the same will apply to Arroyo and Cordero), that the reason he cleared waivers is that no one wants to take on that salary. That suggests that if the Reds want to move any of these players they're going to have to send cash or take on some salary in return. I don't have a problem with that but wanted to point out that we're fooling ourselves if we think a team will take on all that money AND send us a player in return.

Yep. The only way he goes is if the Reds send money with him. Otherwise, the Sox would have claimed him and hoped the Reds let him go (which they would have, most likely).

edabbs44
08-14-2009, 01:17 PM

Exactly. This is also why Boston was able to win with him in '06 and why his contract for Cincy was such a poor idea.

blumj
08-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Actually, their offense has been a big problem in the 2nd half, but it's not like he'd be replacing anyone who helps them offensively now. This would be a small upgrade for them, anyone who can field SS reliably would be, but I don't see it as one that would be one worth that much money to them.

M2
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Exactly. This is also why Boston was able to win with him in '06 and why his contract for Cincy was such a poor idea.

2006 was the only recent season in which the Sox missed the playoffs.

LincolnparkRed
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
2006 was the only recent season in which the Sox missed the playoffs.

I was thinking the same thing, they got Alex cause the Alex Cora, Graffanino, experiment looked so bad when the White Sox bounced them in 2005.

If they want him back, I will drive from Chicago, pick him up in Cincinnati and take him to wherever the Sox are.

Fun little road trip it would be.

TheNext44
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
The Reds Sox are smart enough not to judge Gonzalez on what he did earlier this year when he was clearly injured, and that his peripherals show that he has been very unlucky this year.

His line drive rate is just a notch below his career %, and he actually is making more contact this year, but his BABIP is way down to .235. He has lost a lot of power, mostly due to being coming off and injury and then getting injured again.

He's on a hot streak right now, and really does seem to be hitting the ball well. I think the Red Sox see all of this and think he can be a improvement over Nick Green, and would be a better SS in the playoffs, due to his experience.

The Reds would probably have to pay for his buyout next year to get anything done.

blumj
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing, they got Alex cause the Alex Cora, Graffanino, experiment looked so bad when the White Sox bounced them in 2005.

If they want him back, I will drive from Chicago, pick him up in Cincinnati and take him to wherever the Sox are.

Fun little road trip it would be.
They had Renteria in 2005. I know, it's really hard to keep all their SS maneuvers straight in recent years. I really miss Jed Lowrie.

LoganBuck
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Send Gonzo and half of the remaining contract to the Red Sox for future considerations. On the list of considerations would include dirty socks, some rosin, and perhaps a partially used bag of that drying stuff they use on the base paths following rain delays.

blumj
08-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Send Gonzo and half of the remaining contract to the Red Sox for future considerations. On the list of considerations would include dirty socks, some rosin, and perhaps a partially used bag of that drying stuff they use on the base paths following rain delays.
You can have Marcus McBeth back, or the guy they got for WMP. I don't think either of them is going to make their 40 this winter.

M2
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
The Reds Sox are smart enough not to judge Gonzalez on what he did earlier this year when he was clearly injured, and that his peripherals show that he has been very unlucky this year.

His line drive rate is just a notch below his career %, and he actually is making more contact this year, but his BABIP is way down to .235. He has lost a lot of power, mostly due to being coming off and injury and then getting injured again.

He's on a hot streak right now, and really does seem to be hitting the ball well. I think the Red Sox see all of this and think he can be a improvement over Nick Green, and would be a better SS in the playoffs, due to his experience.

The Reds would probably have to pay for his buyout next year to get anything done.

Since Gonzalez return from the DL a few weeks ago his OPS is up .007. I can see where the Red Sox astutely would have picked up on the improvement.

FWIW, the Reds should hope you've accurately portrayed the Red Sox's thinking/self-delusion. Demand Felix Doubront in return.

Roy Tucker
08-14-2009, 02:01 PM
All this about Gonzo going to the Sox makes total sense so its the right then to do. With the caveat that this saved money is then wisely spent (all of which I cast a skunk eye at).

But it also makes it really hard to generate much enthusiasm about forking up bucks to go to the GABP for the balance of this year. This season really did go down the dumper fast. Sigh...

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Since Gonzalez return from the DL a few weeks ago his OPS is up .007. I can see where the Red Sox astutely would have picked up on the improvement.

FWIW, the Reds should hope you've accurately portrayed the Red Sox's thinking/self-delusion. Demand Felix Doubront in return.

:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

:clap:

REDREAD
08-14-2009, 02:02 PM
:thumbup: Dumping AG to Boston and even paying half of his remaining salary would be a near-unanimously supported decision on Redszone.

That just doesn't happen too often.

Not having to watch AG in the two-hole would make watching the Reds' just slightly more bearable going forward.

True, although I think I'd play a little hardball with Boston. If they want Gonzo, they have to pay his entire salary (unless they send a prospect worth having, which is doubtful).

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:03 PM
True, although I think I'd play a little hardball with Boston. If they want Gonzo, they have to pay his entire salary (unless they send a prospect worth having, which is doubtful).

He's already cleared waivers. Not going to happen. You can't "play hardball" with players who have cleared waivers, think about it.

redsfandan
08-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Their rotation has been a mess all year. If that doesn't change maybe they'd be interested in both Gonzalez and Arroyo.

blumj
08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Right. Either the Reds would prefer to dump some of his remaining salary and play a different SS for the rest of the season, or not.

REDREAD
08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
He's already cleared waivers. Not going to happen. You can't "play hardball" with players who have cleared waivers, think about it.

Fine, then the Sox can either go with what they have at SS or get someone more expensive.

I'm not going to do the Red Sox any favors. If they aren't willing to add 2 million for an upgrade at SS (albeit not a great one), they can go with what they have.

What is the point in the Reds sending AGon and cash to Boston for nothing, other than helping Boston win the playoffs? I'm not going to help Boston win just to save 500k or so.

Just because Boston didn't claim AGon doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't willing to add 2 million. The same argument could've been made for anyone that cleared waivers. There's a lot of postdeadline deals where the guy clears waivers and no cash is sent.

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:10 PM

If they were really willing to pay his entire salary, they would have just made a waiver claim on him.

redsfandan
08-14-2009, 02:11 PM
What is the point in the Reds sending AGon and cash to Boston for nothing, other than helping Boston win the playoffs? I'm not going to help Boston win just to save 500k or so.
But isn't that what the Reds did with Hairston? That's roughly all the Reds got out of dealing him to the yankees.

blumj
08-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Their rotation has been a mess all year. If that doesn't change maybe they'd be interested in both Gonzalez and Arroyo.

The problems in their rotation have been aleviated greatly by the subtraction of Smoltz.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM
Fine, then the Sox can either go with what they have at SS or get someone more expensive.

I'm not going to do the Red Sox any favors. If they aren't willing to add 2 million for an upgrade at SS (albeit not a great one), they can go with what they have.

Just because Boston didn't claim AGon doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't willing to add 2 million. The same argument could've been made for anyone that cleared waivers. There's a lot of postdeadline deals where the guy clears waivers and no cash is sent.

Paying a few bucks to get rid of Gonzo would be a good move. He's useless on this team.

Addition by subtraction.

We don't need him for the rest of this miserable season and we sure as hell don't need him if we're going to have any shot of winning in 2010...

Try to save yourself 1-1.5 million bucks or so and put it towards signing your draft picks.

But yes, the Sox would have all the leverage in any negotiations and we would definitely have to pick up at least a portion of what he is owed.

TheNext44
08-14-2009, 02:13 PM

Last 10 games (including 0-8 in last two games):

.324 .368 .471 .839

He was 1-27 immediately coming off the injury. He is hitting the ball well right now.

And my main point was that he was very unlucky, and injured for most of this year. His peripherals this season are actually better than his career ones. A smart team would pick up on that.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
If they were really willing to pay his entire salary, they would have just made a waiver claim on him.

'Zactly.

RichRed
08-14-2009, 02:14 PM
I can see the Reds not trading AGon because he's on a "hot streak." That would be very Reds-like. I just hope it's not Walt-like.

redsfandan
08-14-2009, 02:15 PM
The problems in their rotation have been aleviated greatly by the subtraction of Smoltz.
Dice-K and Wakefield are still on the DL and Penny hasn't been all that great. I'm just sayin', who knows.

BRM
08-14-2009, 02:16 PM
If they do trade Gonzalez, I really hope it means BP is moving to SS for the remainder of the season. Or another trade happens that brings J.J. Hardy to Cincinnati. Please don't play out the season with a combo of Janish/Rosales at SS.

Edd Roush
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Why do you and other posters on this board want to see AGon the rest of the year? I would rather at least see the possibility of BP getting reps at short, which we all know is not going to happen with AGon in the line-up.

Also, how can you and others bear to watch AGon in the 2 hole? Sure if he and WT were 7-8 I wouldn't mind them as much, but trading him away forces Dusty to shake it up and possibly give Hanigan the 2 hole again.

I would start by asking for them to pay 75% of his remaining contract & buyout but if they offered to pay greater than 50%, I would have him on the next plane to Boston.

WJ should not be spending his time haggling over 500k. Rather he should be spending his time on the phone with the Brewers to see what it would take to get JJ Hardy & how much the Brewers would pay for the remainder of Bill Hall's contract.

Benihana
08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Globe reporting Gonzo traded to Red Sox.

Nice move Walt.

WMR
08-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Why do you and other posters on this board want to see AGon the rest of the year? I would rather at least see the possibility of BP getting reps at short, which we all know is not going to happen with AGon in the line-up.

Also, how can you and others bear to watch AGon in the 2 hole? Sure if he and WT were 7-8 I wouldn't mind them as much, but trading him away forces Dusty to shake it up and possibly give Hanigan the 2 hole again.

I would start by asking for them to pay 75% of his remaining contract & buyout but if they offered to pay greater than 50%, I would have him on the next plane to Boston.

WJ should not be spending his time haggling over 500k. Rather he should be spending his time on the phone with the Brewers to see what it would take to get JJ Hardy & how much the Brewers would pay for the remainder of Bill Hall's contract.

Nice post.

gonelong
08-14-2009, 02:19 PM

At some point the small market teams need to forgo a year or two of "salary relief" and make the big boys over-pay when they want someone to plug a hole. Let a few of the big boy GMs take some heat for not doing their job (real or imaginary) by failing to make these types of deals and watch the return increase.

The small market teams just cut their own throats when they give these guys away ... the reality is that the big guys need these guys as bad as the small guys want to be rid of them. If you are a small market team you might as well just hold onto these guys rather than paying them to play for someone else.

GL

Edd Roush
08-14-2009, 02:21 PM

.324 .368 .471 .839

He was 1-27 immediately coming off the injury. He is hitting the ball well right now.

And my main point was that he was very unlucky, and injured for most of this year. His peripherals this season are actually better than his career ones. A smart team would pick up on that.

While I like to hear some one supporting the counter-argument, you can not possibly hope to sway the board by quoting last 10 games stats of a .839 OPS when the board knows that Alex Gonzalez is what he is. A career OPS of .687 (78 OPS+) and an absolutely putrid 210 .258 .296 .554 (43 OPS+) this year.

Give the man away, I say. He certainly isn't going to help us next year and this year is a lost cause.

Patrick Bateman
08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

.324 .368 .471 .839

Peripherals aren't always a great indicator when a player is swinging the bat as poorly as A-Gon was at the beginning. That wasn't luck.

M2
08-14-2009, 02:34 PM
Globe reporting Gonzo traded to Red Sox.

Nice move Walt.

Indeed. It will be interesting to see if they extracted anything for him (doubtful). My suspicion is the Sox will be mighty disappointed even if they got him for free.

Meanwhile, will the Reds play Phillips at SS?

blumj
08-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Indeed. It will be interesting to see if they extracted anything for him (doubtful). My suspicion is the Sox will be mighty disappointed even if they got him for free.

Meanwhile, will the Reds play Phillips at SS?
Well, assuming since you live here that you watch some Sox games, can he possibly be worse than Nick Green? At least they can trust him to eat the ball when there's no play to be made instead of giving away 2 extra bases by firing it into the stands. Or not botch an easy DP chance.

GAC
08-14-2009, 02:42 PM
The amount of money that AGon is due for the remainder of this year is minuscule by MLB standards. A team like Boston, or any other team in contention that direly needs help at SS, can easily take that "risk" and then let him walk at season's end while turning down the team option for next year, and give him his $500 grand buyout.

Now the bigger question is.....WHO will the Reds attempt to pursue as his replacement? Will they give Phillips that shot? Most likely. That's the cheaper option.

Make a play for Hardy?

Folks! This is Cincinnati!!!!! When are you gonna learn? :D