PDA

View Full Version : Gonzalez traded!

REDblooded
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/08/sox_acquire_ale.html

No word yet on what we get in return.

OesterPoster
08-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Just getting out from under his contract is worth it.

Jack Burton
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Glorius news. So long pal, you were garbage.

Royals Fan
08-14-2009, 01:29 PM
It is a good deal for both sides- I guessing we sent cash or we getting a ptbl that not on the Boston's 40 man roster.

REDblooded
08-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Hopefully this means Frazier to 2b...

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah baby!!

FlyerFanatic
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
yes!!! now...get rid of willy!

GIDP
08-14-2009, 01:41 PM
very interesting

I guess Phillips was taking grounders at SS for a reason.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 01:47 PM
Its a shame Walt didnt go and find a real option for SS this year.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Lets see who bats 2nd now :laugh:

GIDP
08-14-2009, 01:50 PM
Opens a spot on the 40 man as well. A lot of potential moves could be made here. Frazier getting a call up? I thought there was a chance he could get a september one. Valaika? Give Leake a ML deal? Lots of things could happen here.

Farney
08-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Wow, talk about not getting value from a contract.

pdaj
08-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Red Sox fan here. We had Alex here in '06, and his glove was phenominal. He never really could hit all that well, so my question is ... since last year's injury issues, how's his defense been at SS?

GIDP
08-14-2009, 02:24 PM
He has good hands, range is probably getting low but I think the guy is better than some numbers might suggest. Hes pretty much the same guy you guys saw just probably less range.

roby
08-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Red Sox fan here. We had Alex here in '06, and his glove was phenominal. He never really could hit all that well, so my question is ... since last year's injury issues, how's his defense been at SS?

He's real steady at short. Probably has lost a little range since you saw him last. His bat has been horrible until recently.

redhawk61
08-14-2009, 02:26 PM
Reds get High A SS Kris Negron

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_502117.jpg

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502117

Scouting Report: Speedy infielder plays 2B, SS, 3B, and all three OF positions. Top notch glove with excellent range. At the plate, Negron gets on base at an okay clip, but the hits just aren't there enough. He has a good eye at the plate but still hacks on pitches out of the zone on occasion. Exceptionally fast down the line to first, and quick on the basepaths. Negron would be a prototypical leadoff hitter if he could make more contact.
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/negron-kris.htm

GIDP
08-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Hes not a completely terrible player

CySeymour
08-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Hes not a completely terrible player

That's what I thought. He at least looks willing to take a walk every now and then. Might turn out to be a decent utility guy.

FlyerFanatic
08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
That's what I thought. He at least looks willing to take a walk every now and then. Might turn out to be a decent utility guy.

dusty will have no part of taking walks. clogs the bases, dude

pdaj
The Sox are getting ZERO from their current lackluster combo (Green/Woodward), so they're looking for a guy who, despite deserving the #9 slot in the order, can turn a double-play and make a strong throw across the diamond. A-Gon had bone chips removed in his throwing arm, so I'm curious to see if this has effected his gun.

GIDP
I want a Negron uniform.

Newman4
08-14-2009, 02:41 PM
From the article, Gonzalez seems to be a sentimental favorite in Boston since he was on the WS team. Good luck to him. Glad we got a prospect out of the deal.

redlegs2370
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Just getting out from under his contract is worth it.

I didn't think he was under contract for next season, or rather it was a club option year. If that is the case then they really didn't save much money.

texasdave
08-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Reds get High A SS Kris Negron

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_502117.jpg

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=SS&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=502117

Scouting Report: Speedy infielder plays 2B, SS, 3B, and all three OF positions. Top notch glove with excellent range. At the plate, Negron gets on base at an okay clip, but the hits just aren't there enough. He has a good eye at the plate but still hacks on pitches out of the zone on occasion. Exceptionally fast down the line to first, and quick on the basepaths. Negron would be a prototypical leadoff hitter if he could make more contact.http://www.soxprospects.com/players/negron-kris.htm

This dude is batting second, bigtime.

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Yeah, can definitely see why we wanted him. If Bakermetrics was a player, Kris Negron would be him.

texasdave
08-14-2009, 03:30 PM
I got this eerie feeling that that big red "B" on his cap actually stands for Bakermetrics.

bgwilly31
08-14-2009, 03:37 PM
The Sox are getting ZERO from their current lackluster combo (Green/Woodward), so they're looking for a guy who, despite deserving the #9 slot in the order, can turn a double-play and make a strong throw across the diamond. A-Gon had bone chips removed in his throwing arm, so I'm curious to see if this has effected his gun.

I dont think you will be pleased.

Dont forget A-gon has been very inury prone as well.

bgwilly31
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
I dont think you will be pleased.

Dont forget A-gon has been very inury prone as well.

As a metter of fact the yankees won this battle. They picked up our Jerry hairston Jr.

Imo they have a better player for much cheaper.

Rockermann
Infielder Kevin Barker is being brought up from Louisville. Didn't see that one..

Plus Plus
from the reds twitter: (http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds)

CincinnatiReds Reds trade Gonzalez and cash to Red Sox for minor league SS Kristopher Negron. Promoted IF Kevin Barker from Louisville.

edit: Rockermann just beat me to it!

GIDP
08-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Janish is playing SS tonight and batting 2nd :bowrofl:

bgwilly31
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM

dayum it. Im going tonight too:(

I was hoping i would get to see BP there.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 04:05 PM
dayum it. Im going tonight too:(

I was hoping i would get to see BP there.

Phillips isnt going to move there over night if he does move over there. If they move him its going to be after he takes a fair share of grounders on the field, and then maybe a couple spot starts to see how it works.

bgwilly31
08-14-2009, 04:09 PM
Phillips isnt going to move there over night if he does move over there. If they move him its going to be after he takes a fair share of grounders on the field, and then maybe a couple spot starts to see how it works.

It wouldnt take very long for him to transition, know it all.

A smart infielder knows where everyone is supposed to be on the field. In every different situation. I bet if you asked BP can u play SS tonight vs the nationals in a who cares game. He's says sure skipper and goes and plays a great game.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm sure he would play it but why do it over night? Let him get some grounders, get the feel back, then do it? I dont think they are in a real rush to do it if they are going to do it. Maybe he told them I want to take some fielding practice over there first... we dont know. I imagine he would play SS if they asked him to for one night. Id imagine he would play every position on the field for 1 night if they needed him to but I also imagine he would like to make sure hes prepared enough before going out there if he could.

the ripper
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Glad to see Gonzo gone but only if we're working on a SS for next season.

What's 2010 going to look like? We have a lot of holes to fill.

3B Rolen
SS Phillips???
2B Frazier ???
1B Votto
C ??? Can't see Hanigan as an everyday
LF Balentien/Nix/Gomes ???
CF Taveras/ Dickerson ???
RF Bruce

I don't see this as an improvement - do you all?

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Glad we moved Gonzo but it drives me crazy that we had to kick in 1.1 mil and still got a crappy prospect in return.

vottofan4life
08-14-2009, 04:17 PM
hey does anybody know the lineup for tonight?

Blood Red Path
08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
dusty will have no part of taking walks. clogs the bases, dude

Hopefully by the time this kid would be developed enough to have a place on the major league roster, it will be long after Dusty's tenure. If not, there may not be any of us left as fans to discuss it either way.

GBC Red
08-14-2009, 04:21 PM
This makes my weekend, good to see the organization do something that makes sense.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Glad we moved Gonzo but it drives me crazy that we had to kick in 1.1 mil and still got a crappy prospect in return.

we saved about 900k by dumping him. 400k for the rest of the year and 500k for the option we were sure to decline. I think its a great trade considering the likely alternatives.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 04:27 PM
hey does anybody know the lineup for tonight?

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

robmadden1
08-14-2009, 05:00 PM
The Cincinnati Reds have sent shortstop Alex Gonzalez to the Boston Red Sox.

In exchange, the Reds received 23-year-old old Single A shortstop Kris Negron and cash.

The 32-year-old Gonzalez is making $5.37 this season.

Gonzalez is hitting .210 with 3 homeruns and 26 RBI's this season. In June and July he missed 28 games following surgery to remove 4 loose bodies from his right elbow.

This will be his second stint with the Reds Sox. He signed with the Reds as a free agent after the 2006 season.

Negron has spent the season at Class A Salem, where he hit .264 with 3 homeruns and 34 RBI in 111 games. He will be assigned to the Reds' Florida State League affiliate in Sarasota.

To fill Gonzalez' spot on the 25-man roster, the Reds have called up IF Kevin Barker, 34, from Class AAA Louisville. Barker hit .284 with 22 homeruns and 68 RBI's in 100 games this season. He will wear uniform number 60.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story/Reds-Trade-Gonzalez-To-Red-Sox/ccKwjSaZ-k-dvKpyzmAM6g.cspx

Kingspoint
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
yes!!! now...get rid of willy!

Hear! Hear!

:thumbup:

If we only had some great young pitching....

Oh yeah, we did, but they are in Toronto now for an very, very aging, injury-plagued has-been.

Kingspoint
08-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Lets see who bats 2nd now :laugh:

No kidding. It's about as comical as the Bengals on "Hard Knocks".

Kingspoint
08-14-2009, 05:13 PM

Shortstops bat 2nd no matter how much they suck as a hitter.

I can see Dusty at home.

It's Thursday. Got to have Meatloaf. Friday's are fish. Monday's are Pot Roast. Tuesday's are Corned Beef. Wednesday's are Fried Chicken. Sunday's are Baked Ham.

"Don't like changes, Momma." "Don't make me think, Momma."

Kingspoint
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I hope Rolen's traded this Winter because $11M would be better spent on pitching not named Arroyo or Harang. Though we couldn't get half of what we gave away for Rolen, as no G. M. is stupid enough to give up that much for Rolen.

texasdave
08-14-2009, 05:24 PM

I am convinced that Dusty sits in his office and grins when he fills out the lineup card, just thinking about how many people he is gonna piss off on any particular night.

steig
08-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Why did we send cash in the deal with Gonzo?

Hopefully, we will get to see Phillips at shortstop sometime soon because then Dusty might be forced to bat somebody other than the SS 2nd.

bgwilly31
08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
So the reds plan is to finish the season with janish at SS and see if he comes around as a hitter>?

Comical. What a game plan!

texasdave
08-14-2009, 06:55 PM

Somebody is confused. I have read this:

Cincinnati Reds President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Walt Jocketty today announced the acquisition of minor league SS Kristopher Negron from the Boston Red Sox in exchange for SS Alex Gonzalez and cash.
and this:

Cincinnati obtained Class A-level shortstop Kris Negron and cash reportedly about $1.1 million -- for Gonzalez, who would have been owed $6 million had the Reds picked up his option for next year.

Both can't be right.

steig
08-14-2009, 07:38 PM
According to MLBtraderumors.com the Reds are sending the cash to Boston. I would think spending 1.1 million to Boston would be like a Reds employer getting a larger Starbucks coffee on the company dime.

Red Sox Acquire Alex Gonzalez
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 14 at 2:55pm CST]

2:55pm: According to their team Twitter, the Reds are sending cash to Boston to help cover the remainder of Gonzalez's $5.4MM salary. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Reds are sending $1.1MM along. When you figure in the $500k buyout, there's a minimum of about $2MM remaining on Gonzalez's deal.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Just spent about 2 hours trying to find my dog that got out of the yard, completely exhausted, finally got her back and heard this. Great news, a little cheer up for the night, along with some vodka. I need it after the hell I just went through, LOL.

NastyBoy
08-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Does anyone know who the Reds added to the 40 man roster?

I wonder if the Reds are thinking about seriously about Frazier in 2010.

Hondo
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, adding players like Tatum, Barker, and company make this franchise a joke.