PDA

View Full Version : Barker called up.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Replaces Gonzo on the 40 man. Obviously its a easy call up to make considering you can easily drop him from the 40 man as well.

Kingspoint
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Congratulations, Barker. You deserve it. The season's lost, so why not put the best guys on the field instead of junk like Gonzo and Taveras.

texasdave
08-14-2009, 06:27 PM
They brought up a first baseman to replace a shortstop? Unless you think Votto should be sitting, when or where is Barker going to play? Although I am not disputing the fact that Barker has had a fine year.

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
They brought up a first baseman to replace a shortstop? Unless you think Votto should be sitting, when or where is Barker going to play? Although I am not disputing the fact that Barker has had a fine year.

Barker's put up nice numbers and he's not fast. I don't get this move at all.

nemesis
08-14-2009, 06:42 PM
He provides a power LH bat off the bench. Plus he can spell Votto occationally and still provide defense. Let the guy make 150,000 extra this year... He has toiled in the minors forever

GIDP
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Barker is called up because the same reasons Justin Lehr was called up. They put in their time so they are giving them the ML treatment. Its just baseball politics.

LouisvilleCARDS
08-14-2009, 10:12 PM
They deserve a shot though, I always like to see a guy who's done well over his career in the minors get a shot. Why not? It's not like we're contending anyway. It's always a nice story to see these guys get a chance up here.

TheBigLebowski
08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
They deserve a shot though, I always like to see a guy who's done well over his career in the minors get a shot. Why not? It's not like we're contending anyway. It's always a nice story to see these guys get a chance up here.

I reiterate - good numbers and not fast. I don't get this move at all.

Boston Red
08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Wednesday will be the ten-year anniversary of Barker's Major League debut.

Hondo
08-15-2009, 10:11 PM
This is why the Reds are the Reds... Barker might be a great guy and congrats to him... But this is the kind of move and player that makes this team a waste of time...

Where is FRAZIER?

LouisvilleCARDS
08-16-2009, 12:00 AM
This is why the Reds are the Reds... Barker might be a great guy and congrats to him... But this is the kind of move and player that makes this team a waste of time...

Where is FRAZIER?

Why, so he can ride the pine under Dusty? I like the guy getting a call up. He's been a career minor leaguer, and one of Louisville's all time leaders in a lot of categories. Some guys just don't have the talent to make it full time, and calling up a prospect just means they ride the pine. I don't see any use of it.

Hondo
08-16-2009, 02:06 AM
Why, so he can ride the pine under Dusty? I like the guy getting a call up. He's been a career minor leaguer, and one of Louisville's all time leaders in a lot of categories. Some guys just don't have the talent to make it full time, and calling up a prospect just means they ride the pine. I don't see any use of it.

Then is starts with Dusty and Dick Pole being ousted... Hell even the Brew Crew changed Managers last year and they were a winning club...

Frazier should be up starting the rest of the year and Balentien should be starting the rest of the year in LF...

Bob needs to forget Dusty Ball and Look at his pitchers...

This team isnt going to improve for the future at all with playing Tatums, Taveras, Barkers, Nix, and yes even 3 Homer Game Gomes...

This team should be evaluating what it has for the future, not role players auditioning for other teams the rest of the year...

TC81190
08-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Then is starts with Dusty and Dick Pole being ousted... Hell even the Brew Crew changed Managers last year and they were a winning club...

Frazier should be up starting the rest of the year and Balentien should be starting the rest of the year in LF...

Bob needs to forget Dusty Ball and Look at his pitchers...

This team isnt going to improve for the future at all with playing Tatums, Taveras, Barkers, Nix, and yes even 3 Homer Game Gomes...

This team should be evaluating what it has for the future, not role players auditioning for other teams the rest of the year...
So he can jump from AA to MLB and get 2 months of service time in a lost season?

Hondo
08-16-2009, 08:46 PM
So he can jump from AA to MLB and get 2 months of service time in a lost season?

I don't think organizations with a winning attitude factor in Saving a buck with service time...