PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Bill Hall...

ED44
08-14-2009, 05:22 PM
per mlbtraderumors.com

Good news...he wouldn't be hitting Reds pitching.

Bad news...he wouldn't be hitting Reds pitching.

GIDP
08-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Of course they are. Dusty would love to have another underperforming you know what on his team.

ED44
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Of course they are. Dusty would love to have another underperforming you know what on his team.

Indeed!

TheBigLebowski
08-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Bakermetrician? Bring him on!!

BEETTLEBUG
08-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Where did you see that intrest from? I said it the other day to get him and J.J now that Gonzo is gone.

ED44
08-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Where did you see that intrest from? I said it the other day to get him and J.J now that Gonzo is gone.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

MLB.com's Mark Sheldon hears that the Reds have "some interest" in the recently-DFA'd Bill Hall.

texasdave
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM

Isn't an underperforming Bakermetrician an oxymoron?

mlh1981
08-14-2009, 06:50 PM
This guy has had horrible OBP numbers over his career. I REALLY hope we don't go in this direction, because we already have enough guys on this team who don't get on base. What does he really add to the team, other than getting a guy on board so we don't have to face him anymore? *shrugs*

BigPoppa
08-15-2009, 12:38 AM
Isn't an underperforming Bakermetrician an oxymoron?

Bigtime, dude.

Slyder
08-15-2009, 01:24 AM
I'm just waiting for it.

*start press conference*
blah blah blah

We feel we can fix Bill Hall so that he performs like he did in 05 and 06, just like we fixed Wil...

anyways. We welcome the utility of a player like Bill Hall, we were missing that since we traded Jerry Hairston at the deadline to the Yanks.

*End Presser after some softball questions*

First Game in Cincy bats 2nd playing 3rd base. Proceeds to rival Willy on who can make more outs faster.

Anyways please don't waste any more money or time on guys like Willy Tavares, Bill Hall, Corey Patterson, etc find guys on the upswing not on the down side of their careers. They arent worth it.

Captain Hook
08-15-2009, 03:48 AM
You guys joke all you want.Despite his struggles this season Hall is 2x the player that Hairston Jr. and Ryan Freel could ever be and if the Reds are looking for him to fill the rolls they so terribly filled the last 4 years it would be a huge upgrade IMO.The Reds have done nothing but dump guys that we have all complained about recently but the gripping continues.There has been nothing done over the last month other then improve our chances for next year and my hopes are that this could be just the beginning.If the Reds get Bill Hall cheep,get a SS(maybe Hardy as ptbnl)or move BP to SS and get an average 2B,get rid of Taveras, acquire another SP,sign Gomes and get another decent outfielder while only spending another 9 or 10 million then we could be in business.If those simple things are done then I'll be happy to see what we can do next year.The front office is setting things up to pull off some very realistic moves that could make us a contender next year and all I hear is complaining and the often unrealistic suggestion of a trade or free agent signing this off season.There is lots of work to be done but 2010 is what we are obviously building for and so far I like the thinking.

Sorry for the optimism guys.

mcowett394
08-15-2009, 05:12 AM
Thank you for your optimistic point of view. We love the Reds. We care about the city. We are tired of the unmitigated whining of people who "blow anger" at every single decision made. Some make good points. Some decisions are poor. Taveras? But enough complaining. These fans wanted Dunn gone. They wanted Gonzalez gone. They wanted Encarnacion gone. They despised Weathers and he's gone. They grew tired of Griffey's injuries. They are gone. Hooray.

What about the good decisions or, at least, good attempts? Hernandez, Phillips, Rolen, Herrara, Cordero.

I loath watching bad baseball, but I hate unhappy, irrational complainers more.

Hondo
08-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Ya wanna know whats Funny... Cincy signed Patterson for 3 Million with NO Offers to compete with...

He signed this year for 800,000 and was released...

:fineprint

redlegs2370
08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I wonder what Bill Hall's career stats are, excluding the games against Cincinnati?

Ohioballplayer
08-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Ya wanna know whats Funny... Cincy signed Patterson for 3 Million with NO Offers to compete with...

He signed this year for 800,000 and was released...

:fineprint

In all fairness to Duhsty's daughter, she was used to the finer things in life!!

Ohioballplayer
08-18-2009, 12:26 PM
I wonder what Bill Hall's career stats are, excluding the games against Cincinnati?

Dunno but here are his stats against Cincy:

Career: .260 BA

vs. the Reds: .308

In five seasons, he has only hit below .300 once against Cincy.

Career: 93 HRs

vs. the Reds: 18

20 percent of his career homers have come against Cincy. He's hit three of his 12 total homers this season against the Reds in only six games.

Career: 325 RBI

vs. the Reds: 52

That's 16 percent of his career RBI.

wojo1025
08-18-2009, 07:00 PM
"We heard last week that the Reds have some interest in Hall. The Brewers would presumably pay Hall's contract or take on a comparably sized deal in any trade."

That is from MLB Traderumors.com

Would you guys be happy w/a Wily T for Hall trade? Bad contract for bad contract?

GIDP
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I hope Bill Hall is in the plan. He would fit in pretty well.

GIDP
08-18-2009, 07:25 PM
"We heard last week that the Reds have some interest in Hall. The Brewers would presumably pay Hall's contract or take on a comparably sized deal in any trade."

That is from MLB Traderumors.com

Would you guys be happy w/a Wily T for Hall trade? Bad contract for bad contract?

Not at all. Willy T is a bad contract, Bill Hall is a terrible contract.

Hondo
08-18-2009, 09:44 PM
Why are the Reds interested in Bill Hall? Are we really trying to build a Team around Votto and Bruce or are we trying to set the record for most bench players on a major league roster?

Slyder
08-18-2009, 11:45 PM
Looking at the contracts.

Willy makes 4 mil next year.
Billy makes 8.4 mil next year plus a 2011 option.

The Brew Crew pay off the difference heck yes I would do it. Anything that meant
A) Willy's out of the Reds lineup.
B) Duhhhsty has to leadoff with someone else.
C) Dickerson, Heisey, or Stubbs gets a chance to play CF everyday.

is a good thing.

GIDP
08-18-2009, 11:47 PM
McCoy seems to think the Reds would trade Harang for Hall. I seem to think knowing the Reds they would trade Harang and Heisey for Hall.

40YrRedsFan
08-19-2009, 12:00 AM
At this point in time, I tend to believe Milwaukee's talent evaluators more than the Reds. The Brewers didn't want Nix back. We picked him up..he started out pretty good, then went downhill. Now they have jettisoned Hall. Hall's OBP
is poor at best. I wouldn't touch him. We don't need any more retreads like
Taveras, Nix, etc.

gilpdawg
08-19-2009, 12:46 AM
McCoy seems to think the Reds would trade Harang for Hall. I seem to think knowing the Reds they would trade Harang and Heisey for Hall.
:confused: Really? Harang? Nah. Somebody's jerkin his chain. Hall could probably be had for a marginal prospect at best.

fewfirstchoice
08-19-2009, 12:55 AM
Heres a deal that could work for both.

Harang and Nix to the Brewers

and

Hall (4mil.) and Hardy to the Reds

That would free up about 4 mil for the Reds this off season. Hall 4mil. and Hardy 4mil. while Harang would be making 12 mil. so take 8 away from 12 and it leaves 4.

It would also give the Reds a SS for next year and a super sub next year.

C- Hanigan
1B- Votto
2B- Phillips
3B- Rolen
SS- Hardy
LF- FA
CF- Dickerson
RF- Bruce

1) Dickerson
2) Phillips
3) Votto
4) FA LF
5) Bruce
6) Rolen
7) Hardy
8) Hanigan

SP
Cueto
Arroyo
FA
Bailey
Owings

Not bad but not great but sure as heck better than this year.

Slyder
08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Heres a deal that could work for both.

Harang and Nix to the Brewers

and

Hall (4mil.) and Hardy to the Reds

That would free up about 4 mil for the Reds this off season. Hall 4mil. and Hardy 4mil. while Harang would be making 12 mil. so take 8 away from 12 and it leaves 4.

It would also give the Reds a SS for next year and a super sub next year.

C- Hanigan
1B- Votto
2B- Phillips
3B- Rolen
SS- Hardy
LF- FA
CF- Dickerson
RF- Bruce

1) Dickerson
2) Phillips
3) Votto
4) FA LF
5) Bruce
6) Rolen
7) Hardy
8) Hanigan

SP
Cueto
Arroyo
FA
Bailey
Owings

Not bad but not great but sure as heck better than this year.

Flip em Arroyo, Harang (with the proper pitching coach) could still be a consistant #2 I think. Arroyo's better as a 3. Without either and missing Volquez for most of '10 we need a top of the rotation guy not a middle of rotation guy.

Youre making one major assumption and thats Duhhhsty isnt here. Because if this year is any indication that I can pretty much gaurentee short of major injury your starting CF is going to be the same as it was this year no matter how putridly bad he plays cause he's fast dude and CF bat lead off.

fewfirstchoice
08-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Id be fine with that aswell.

Hondo
08-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Why is everyone so convinced Dickerson is a starting CF? The Guy isnt exciting... Doesnt hit that well, and is not a Young guy, just a AAAA player as far as I am concerned...

Its the same kind of Jeff Keppinger Love Man Crush people here had, on well, Jeff Keppinger... Going with Dickerson is a mistake... He doesn't even cover that much Ground...

I would much rather go with Stubbs, atleast that is a guy this team has some stock in and would be fun to watch...

Dickerson is in the same boat as Nix, Hariston, Gomes, etc...

Just a Bench player at Best...

Slyder
08-19-2009, 01:36 AM
Why is everyone so convinced Dickerson is a starting CF? The Guy isnt exciting... Doesnt hit that well, and is not a Young guy, just a AAAA player as far as I am concerned...

Its the same kind of Jeff Keppinger Love Man Crush people here had, on well, Jeff Keppinger... Going with Dickerson is a mistake... He doesn't even cover that much Ground...

I would much rather go with Stubbs, atleast that is a guy this team has some stock in and would be fun to watch...

Dickerson is in the same boat as Nix, Hariston, Gomes, etc...

Just a Bench player at Best...

Dickerson's defense in CENTER field alone puts him above all the guys you mention.

I don't know all the periphials and what not but I do know he followed a hot month and a half with an obp of .365. Overall yes he's not perfect but he's a lot better than half the guys we trod out there. Is he batting leadoff for a contender? Probably not but he'd certainly getting more at bats than all the guys you mentioned, not sitting on the bench hoping to get a start from the Duhhster anywhere on the field. We need more guys like Dickerson, could Stubbs become better than Dickerson? Certainly but to lop Dickerson in with Nix, Hairston is an insult to what Dickerson's done when given a chance.

The reason most people have him in CF is (I would bet) that everyone believes Stubbs starts in AAA regardless of how well he does in Spring Training (exactly like Jay Bruce last year). With that being said whos your options....

Nix? Tavares? Rolen? I mean we have NO better options if Stubbs is back at Louisville next year.

fewfirstchoice
08-19-2009, 01:38 AM
I was just getting to the point that anyone would be better than Taveras. I would agree on the Stubbs front but Walt isnt going to give him the chance right now. So Dickerson is the best we got.

Old NDN
08-19-2009, 09:24 AM
And where does Hall fit position-wise into a Reds lineup?

fewfirstchoice
08-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Hoepfully as a super sub and Hardy at SS if any kind of deal gets done.

patmicmac
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
And where does Hall fit position-wise into a Reds lineup?

Playing every day and batting 2nd, Dusty's main new man. He'll be the new JHJ. Especially with that contract, Dusty can't afford to sit him! :thumbup:

vottofan4life
08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
If we get Bill Hall then Brewers are most likely paying for the whole contract or most of it but why not obtain him for say maybe he can be that guy in the Dave Weathers trade. He could play SS,3b,LF and 1b on occasions to give votto a rest.

How about this now that I see the Athletics looking for a starting pitcher who could eat up innings.
Reds acquire Adam Kennedy and Ryan Sweeney
Athletics acquire Bronson Arroyo, Bill Bray, Cash

or

Reds acquire Ryan Sweeney, Micheal Wuertz, Mark Ellis
Athletics acquire Aaron Harang,Willy Taveras,Cody Puckett,cash

now i got these 2 trades happening this offseason

TheBigLebowski
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Hall dealt to Seattle. We can mercifully (and thankfully) close the book on this one.

GIDP
08-19-2009, 06:52 PM
Thank the lord.

Slyder
08-20-2009, 12:25 AM
If we get Bill Hall then Brewers are most likely paying for the whole contract or most of it but why not obtain him for say maybe he can be that guy in the Dave Weathers trade. He could play SS,3b,LF and 1b on occasions to give votto a rest.

How about this now that I see the Athletics looking for a starting pitcher who could eat up innings.
Reds acquire Adam Kennedy and Ryan Sweeney
Athletics acquire Bronson Arroyo, Bill Bray, Cash

or

Reds acquire Ryan Sweeney, Micheal Wuertz, Mark Ellis
Athletics acquire Aaron Harang,Willy Taveras,Cody Puckett,cash

now i got these 2 trades happening this offseason

Why would the A's want either Arroyo or Harang? Their MO is finding the next Mark Mulder, Dan Haren, etc ride that horse as long as possible then send it down the road for top dollar. They would be more likely to look at a healthy Volquez, Cueto, or maybe even Homer (if they think they can "fix" him) than theyd be with Harang or Arroyo.

Hondo
08-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Hall dealt to Seattle. We can mercifully (and thankfully) close the book on this one.

Agreed, dodged a bullett there...

Hondo
08-20-2009, 01:12 AM
I was just getting to the point that anyone would be better than Taveras. I would agree on the Stubbs front but Walt isnt going to give him the chance right now. So Dickerson is the best we got.

Stubbs? Really? Got his first major league hit last night... A Double...

I am stoked about finnally going with a guy with some upside!