PDA

View Full Version : What reason is there?

Homer Bailey
08-15-2009, 02:49 AM
I honestly just have to ask myself and my fellow RZ'ers out there....

What reason is there to be a Reds fan?

I consider myself the most diehard fan of a baseball franchise of any of my friends. Yet I consider most if not all of you ORG'ers to be more knowledgeable baseball/Reds fans than I am. I mean really, you guys are the class of this organization. Literally, this organization does not deserve fans like you guys that hang on every decision that they make. There have been plenty of threads suggesting "Why do we do this?", but literally, I'm on the ledge. The past month, I've gone through a move, and not followed the Reds much. I bought mlbtv for my computer, but haven't tuned in about a month. I literally laugh when I get the text from ESPN every night telling me the final of the Reds loss. It's so freaking pathetic. We are such a joke of an organization. We aren't close. A lot of us (including myself before this season) think we are close, but we are not. Not even close. Year after year we are bottom ten. There is no hope that we will submerge from this. It's not like the farm is in great shape so that we could say "Wait til so and so gets up." We're bare. We have "fringe" guys, but no one that is going to make a significant impact. We have no superstars on the cusp. We have no money to spend. We have an awful GM. He runs off a top 10 NL hitter for an injury riddled #5 starter. He signs the worst hitter in the MLB to $6.25M. Our owner gives the worst manager on the planet $10M. $16M wasted on two of the most awful baseball people you could possibly purchase. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that you could have paid me the same amount of money, and I would have made a better contribution to the company. The same goes to about 95% of you on RZ. Could it honestly be more comical??

Honestly, in my 23 years on this Earth, I've never been more disappointed as a Reds fan. What in he hell do I have to look forward to?? We have a bottom 3 NL offense, and no real pitching staff. There has been no progress this entire decade.

Thank God Mountaineer football is about to start up so I can be even more disappointed.

Please, someone, talk me off the ledge.

The Baumer
08-15-2009, 03:00 AM
They have cool hats.

KronoRed
08-15-2009, 03:17 AM
What else is there to do?

cincyinco
08-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Fortunately, or unfortunately.. I don't know for sure..

But the reds this past 15 years or so have forced me to become more a fan of the game overall. So, I admit, while I love my reds, I just have few expectations and don't need to be talked off the ledge as much.. So to speak.

If they do well, that's fantastic.. And they're the only team as a whole I'll root for.. But if not.. Sigh.. I'm used to it.. And so I just relish in watching the beauty of the game itself.. The game is bigger than the reds, for me at least. Its the real masterpiece. Maybe focus your attention there, and its not so bad being a fan of the game first, and a reds fan 2nd.

And I don't think there's any shame in that.

Ron Madden
08-15-2009, 04:44 AM

I consider myself the most diehard fan of a baseball franchise of any of my friends. Yet I consider most if not all of you ORG'ers to be more knowledgeable baseball/Reds fans than I am. I mean really, you guys are the class of this organization. Literally, this organization does not deserve fans like you guys that hang on every decision that they make. There have been plenty of threads suggesting "Why do we do this?", but literally, I'm on the ledge. The past month, I've gone through a move, and not followed the Reds much. I bought mlbtv for my computer, but haven't tuned in about a month. I literally laugh when I get the text from ESPN every night telling me the final of the Reds loss. It's so freaking pathetic. We are such a joke of an organization. We aren't close. A lot of us (including myself before this season) think we are close, but we are not. Not even close. Year after year we are bottom ten. There is no hope that we will submerge from this. It's not like the farm is in great shape so that we could say "Wait til so and so gets up." We're bare. We have "fringe" guys, but no one that is going to make a significant impact. We have no superstars on the cusp. We have no money to spend. We have an awful GM. He runs off a top 10 NL hitter for an injury riddled #5 starter. He signs the worst hitter in the MLB to $6.25M. Our owner gives the worst manager on the planet $10M. $16M wasted on two of the most awful baseball people you could possibly purchase. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that you could have paid me the same amount of money, and I would have made a better contribution to the company. The same goes to about 95% of you on RZ. Could it honestly be more comical??

Honestly, in my 23 years on this Earth, I've never been more disappointed as a Reds fan. What in he hell do I have to look forward to?? We have a bottom 3 NL offense, and no real pitching staff. There has been no progress this entire decade.

Thank God Mountaineer football is about to start up so I can be even more disappointed.

You're not alone Homer,Most long time Reds Fans have felt many of the same emotions you are describing here.

We often ask why? Why do we listen to or watch every game? Why do we remain loyal when we know our hearts will most likely be broken? Why do we search out any and all information we can find about any moves this Club makes? Or moves rumoured to be made?

I can never answer these questions on behalf of all the loyal members of RedsZone. I can give you my honest answer.

The Cincinnati Reds are as much a part of my life as my first baseball coach, my Kindergarten Teacher, my childhood friends or the first time I fell in love.

I'm 55 years old, I've seen some pretty bad Reds Teams, but then again I've seen some pretty good ones too. It's hard to describe the feeling you get when YOUR team wins the World Series. Let's hang with'em a li'l while longer, maybe we share that same great feeling of a Championship again.

:beerme:

TheNext44
08-15-2009, 06:00 AM
First, anyone looking for a logical reason to be a Fan of a baseball team, will never be a Fan. Fan is short for "fanatic", implying that reason has nothing to do with it. If fans were rational, we'd be "Rats", so I prefer to be a Fan.

I am sure most people who come to this board would love it if the could not care about the Reds. I know my life would be much happier and easier to live.

I put this in a game thread, but during the Dodger game when Bailey got lit up and the Reds lost to the Dodgers by a score of 12-3, for the 11th time in a row at Dodger Stadium, after another big scoring inning by the Dodgers resulted in me screaming obscenities, my girlfriend turned to me and asked why don't I just watch the game and not care who wins? She's lucky I love her. (she's not the biggest baseball fan, at our first game together, she asked me how do the runners know which base to run to.)

After all that philosophical stuff, here is one rational reason to still care.

If you account for all the injuries the Reds have had this season, they should be close to .500. Volquez's injury cost them at least 2 wins going by runs allowed, and probably more on a game by game basis. Votto being out cost them at least 1 win if you only figure his numbers being gone, more if you figure the effect his absence had on the whole lineup. And EE being injured basically the whole year cost the Reds 2 wins. So that's five more wins at the least, which would put the Reds at 55-60, and maybe as many as 7 which would put them at 57-58.

So with a lot of blind rationalization, and a lot of spinning the numbers, a true fan can convince himself the Reds are an improved team this year, and are just a victim of key injuries. :)

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

RedsBaron
08-15-2009, 07:37 AM
Why do we listen to or watch every game?

The Cincinnati Reds are as much a part of my life as my first baseball coach, my Kindergarten Teacher, my childhood friends or the first time I fell in love.

I'm 55 years old, I've seen some pretty bad Reds Teams, but then again I've seen some pretty good ones too. It's hard to describe the feeling you get when YOUR team wins the World Series. Let's hang with'em a li'l while longer, maybe we share that same great feeling of a Championship again.

:beerme:

The Reds are or were an important part of my life, I check out RedsZone numerous times a day, and they are still my favorite MLB team, but I don't listen or watch every game. Apathy describes my feelings right now.

BCubb2003
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
At least we're not Cubs fans.

Sea Ray
08-15-2009, 08:09 AM
In today's baseball climate I'd advise not to be a die hard fan of any team in a small market. You're asking for heartache. I no longer give my heart and soul to this team. Why put myself through that? They're still my favorite team but I don't live and die for them. Nor do I participate in unrealistic discussions around here like how we're going to acquire Roy Halladay, Matt Holliday or Matt Kemp. It is what it is and I accept that. At best we can hope for an occassional good season where all the stars align but that is all we expect

flyer85
08-15-2009, 08:37 AM
It wouldn't bother me as much if I thought they had a clue about building a winning team. IMO serendipity is the only hope.

RANDY IN INDY
08-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Following the Reds is a passion of mine, win or lose. I can't stand people that switch their loyalties to whatever team that is winning at the time. I wear my Reds cap with pride, regardless of the wins or losses. I hate the losing, but I would never change my loyalties. The Reds are my team and I love to watch and study the game of baseball. There is always something, a play, a player, that makes it worth watching for me.

MikeS21
08-15-2009, 09:06 AM
For me, the joy comes as I watch younger players - those drafted by the Reds or acquired from other teams - as they develop and grow into major league players. Watching guys like Votto and Cueto and Bruce and Volquez is what makes this year tolerable. Of course injuries have affected that, and have probably affected the W-L record, as well. But young players are watch make it enjoyable for me.

The truth is, I would be bored out of my mind watching a "bought" team made up of high priced free agents even if they won the World Series. That's why I grow weary of accusations thrown at ownership for being "cheap." Besides, throwing money into payroll does not end slumps or prevent injuries.

Honestly, even if BobCast brought in two high-priced stud players, and paid them each $12-$13 million per year, what happens when BOTH players go on the 60 Day DL? How does a $100 million payroll help then?

mbgrayson
08-15-2009, 09:10 AM
They have cool hats.
Lol....that's sure part of it.

I moved from Ohio 27 years ago, and I'm still a Reds fan. Why?

Well, I grew up with Marty and Joe on the radio in my house. I watched the Reds end many frustrating 'close but no cigar' years like 1970, 1972, with back to back world championships in '75 and '76. I watched the Reds come from nowhere in 1990 and win it all, with Marty and Joe still calling the games. I went from reading box scores and seeing a very occasional game on TV to listening to the audio feed over the internet in the late '90s when that became available. Now, I buy the extra innings package and watch 90% of the games, way more than I ever saw growing up in Dayton.

It comes down to being a soap opera, sort of. You get to know the players, the GM, the manager, and the drama. The details of it all are fascinating to me. Maybe in some way we like them as losers, so we can feel smarter and superior to the ownership and management.

But I am hoping to see at least one more run to the top. It is indeed exciting, and there is nothing in sports fandom that beats having the team you have followed and suffered with for years break out to the top.

It is sure harder when you are a small market team. The Yankees and Reds Sox are in there almost every year with their huge payroll. But look at the Rays last year...the Rockies the year before that. Hope springs eternal that the Reds might be the next miracle team....if only they would manage a their roster a little smarter.....

BCubb2003
08-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Seinfeld said we root for laundry. But I think we root for history -- and our connection to it. Jim Maloney handing the ball to Don Gullett. Dave Concepcion giving way to Barry Larkin. Griffey then Votto. We root for ourselves and our memories more than we root for these ex-Cardinals and soon-to-be Nationals.

_Sir_Charles_
08-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Lol....that's sure part of it.

I moved from Ohio 27 years ago, and I'm still a Reds fan. Why?

Well, I grew up with Marty and Joe on the radio in my house. I watched the Reds end many frustrating 'close but no cigar' years like 1970, 1972, with back to back world championships in '75 and '76. I watched the Reds come from nowhere in 1990 and win it all, with Marty and Joe still calling the games. I went from reading box scores and seeing a very occasional game on TV to listening to the audio feed over the internet in the late '90s when that became available. Now, I buy the extra innings package and watch 90% of the games, way more than I ever saw growing up in Dayton.

It comes down to being a soap opera, sort of. You get to know the players, the GM, the manager, and the drama. The details of it all are fascinating to me. Maybe in some way we like them as losers, so we can feel smarter and superior to the ownership and management.

But I am hoping to see at least one more run to the top. It is indeed exciting, and there is nothing in sports fandom that beats having the team you have followed and suffered with for years break out to the top.

It is sure harder when you are a small market team. The Yankees and Reds Sox are in there almost every year with their huge payroll. But look at the Rays last year...the Rockies the year before that. Hope springs eternal that the Reds might be the next miracle team....if only they would manage a their roster a little smarter.....

Change the "27 years" to "24 years", and "Dayton" to "Pataskala" and you've posted exactly what I would've.

There were teams earlier this decade that I'll willingly admit that I didn't follow at all because of how pitiful they were. But that was also before I found WLW over the internet (3 years ago). So my only connection to the Reds was via the sports page here in Houston. Kind of hard to keep that day-to-day obsession fed with only a box score. Now while they haven't been much better in terms of their record the past 3 years, getting to hear "and this one belongs to the Reds" is reason enough for me to recapture that youthful joy in listening/watching a Reds game. Nostalgia...it's a POWERFUL thing.

jojo
08-15-2009, 11:02 AM

Frankly you've got bigger problems like how to overcome the beat down the Mountaineers are gonna get when they go to Auburn.

mth123
08-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Following the Reds is a passion of mine, win or lose. I can't stand people that switch their loyalties to whatever team that is winning at the time. I wear my Reds cap with pride, regardless of the wins or losses. I hate the losing, but I would never change my loyalties. The Reds are my team and I love to watch and study the game of baseball. There is always something, a play, a player, that makes it worth watching for me.

Me too. :beerme:

WMR
08-15-2009, 11:38 AM
It's a sickness, plain and simple.

Same explanation I arrive at when trying to rationalize my Bungles fandom.

traderumor
08-15-2009, 01:13 PM
My allegiance to the Reds is because I love Major League Baseball and my mom and dad love the Reds. I have vague memories of my parents watching the 1972 postseason and me about half paying attention, but we went to a game at Riverfront against the Braves in 1972, Johnny Bench homered (probably this one (http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CIN/CIN197208050.shtml)) and I have never been the same.

The Reds are just a part of the family and you don't disown them simply because they have been prodigal for several years. I cannot imagine being the fan of another team anymore than I can imagine having a new set of parents.

TheNext44
08-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Steven King wrote that in the 90's he was so frustrated with his Reds Sox, that he switch loyalties to the Indians. He lived equal distance from both. He even let go his Red Sox season tickets and bought Indian season tickets.

He went to nearly every Indian game, learned all about the team and tried to root for them. However he found that while at Jacobs field, he would spend more time watching the out of town scoreboard for Red Sox scores than watching the Indians game.

He gave up after just a few months and went back to being a Reds Sox fan. He claimed it was like a birth defect, something you have from birth that you can't overcome, no matter how hard you try.

Homer Bailey
08-15-2009, 03:28 PM
Frankly you've got bigger problems like how to overcome the beat down the Mountaineers are gonna get when they go to Auburn.

Just like the beatdown they were supposed to give us last year? ;)

That's the only game I'm gonna see this year and I couldn't be more excited.

*BaseClogger*
08-15-2009, 03:30 PM
This is an incredible thread. My thoughts couldn't be summed up by any better words than these:

redsmetz
08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
The Reds are just a part of the family and you don't disown them simply because they have been prodigal for several years. I cannot imagine being the fan of another team anymore than I can imagine having a new set of parents.

That's the exact image I had. I grew up a Reds fan and can't imagine rooting for any other team. I'm about the same age as Ron Madden and I only have vague memories of the '61 Reds (I would have been six through all of that season), but since my grandma was a big Reds fan and they were our team, that's the way it's been. I even converted by Missouri born wife to being a Reds fan and two of my three kids are two (the onery one likes the Cards and Red Sox, although she lived with a girl from Maine this year and realizes she's a wannabe there).

Win or lose, they're our team. And as WOY reminds us regularly, the Reds have had long stretches of being a bad team.

And I hold up hope that we're making progress, although this woeful and very unlucky 2009 season surely does tax your baseball soul. I'm liking what I see with this team and what's coming down the pike.

Go Reds!

GADawg
08-15-2009, 03:51 PM
It's a sickness, plain and simple.

Same explanation I arrive at when trying to rationalize my Bungles fandom.

you need counseling my friend...plain and simple

as for me I get frustrated and try not to watch(but I can't help myself)and then Gomes hits 3 homers or Justin F. Lehr throws a complete game and all of sudden I check the standings to see how "we" can finish if "we" go undefeated the rest of the way.....what? it could happen

StillFunkyB
08-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I also feel like the BRM makes it harder on you long time Reds fans. Arguably the greatest team in the history of sports. Especially you men out there who were right at that little league age when the BRM was in full steam. 1990 was a nice year, but past that it's been tough to watch some of the teams.

westofyou
08-15-2009, 04:09 PM
Why?

Who knows?

But I like the way the Reds smell in the rain, the sound of their bats in the early evening, the warmth they bring on cold March days and the way they occupy time and space on humid evenings when there are more full seats than empty. I like their grandpa stories and even their attempt to be hip with lame processed meat companies. I like the sound of the beer vendor calling out Hudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and the firm hand on my shoulder from the older than God usher who caught me sneaking down into the Blue seats, I like their $5 tickets and standing room policies and the ugly ice cream vendor hats they wore 10 years ago.

I like all that stuff, and even if I wanted to I couldn't stop liking it.

But when I was in my 20's I sure strayed from the game a bit, but I still snuck out now and then to get a taste.

But not caring is fine too, nothing wrong with cheating on baseball, it's a hard master. But if you really love it it will come back to you and you to it.

GADawg
08-15-2009, 04:13 PM
I also feel like the BRM makes it harder on you long time Reds fans. Arguably the greatest team in the history of sports. Especially you men out there who were right at that little league age when the BRM was in full steam. 1990 was a nice year, but past that it's been tough to watch some of the teams.

there's alot of truth in that I think...that we got spoiled at a young age....but it also makes it difficult watching other teams(marlins...rockies...even brewers)have success on a fairly consistent level while "we're" struggling along to stay ahead of the Pirates year in and year out

Roy Tucker
08-15-2009, 04:26 PM
IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way

Roy Tucker
08-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Mostly because I really just can't help it.

Raisor
08-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Why can't I quit you?

GADawg
08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
they had me at Johnny Bench

BCubb2003
08-15-2009, 04:47 PM
Wasn't Bill James a Kansas City Royals fan?

jojo
08-15-2009, 04:54 PM
Everybody loves an underdog.

Also for many the local team is a family affair.

Talking' Reds with your dad is more than talking Reds...... Conflate those emotions and it's tough to divorce a team.

GADawg
08-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Everybody loves an underdog.

Also for many the local team is a family affair.

Talking' Reds with your dad is more than talking Reds...... Conflate those emotions and it's tough to divorce a team.

after looking up "conflate" I totally agree:D

schroomytunes
08-15-2009, 05:44 PM
What reason is there? Ahh yes the question we all ask ourselves lately it seems this time of year, a season of what could have, should have, and then wow reality sets in and were staying home in October. Well to me I have no other choice but to be a Reds fan, can't help it, it was a marriage, one that will last forever in this day in age. I remember my first game when I was 7 back in 1980, and I have been a fan since. Growing up I would fall asleep on school nights listening to Marty/Joe and hoping I'd hear that familiar saying we all love "and this one belongs to the REDS". Also for me personnally after graduating in 1991(Fairfield) I went on to college and life, well had different plans for me as we all know as we get older, but man do I miss everything about Cincy. From the Reds, Bengals, Kings Island, River Downs, Skyline Chili, and the people! I am who I am today because of Cincinnati, and wherever life may lead me I will always root for the Reds no matter how good or bad we are, cause well i'm here for better or worse!!! I'm a Reds fan and damn proud!!!!

Jpup
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
I don't know either. I would quit them but I can't. It's a love/hate relationship. I watch every team and have others that I enjoy and even closely follow the Yankees, but the Reds are a passion that I can't get over. I wish I could. The losing hurts.

westofyou
08-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Wasn't Bill James a Kansas City Royals fan?

Worse, he was a KC A's fan, and he crafted a great piece on their history in his 88 abstract.

redsmetz
08-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Why?

Who knows?

But I like the way the Reds smell in the rain, the sound of their bats in the early evening, the warmth they bring on cold March days and the way they occupy time and space on humid evenings when there are more full seats than empty. I like their grandpa stories and even their attempt to be hip with lame processed meat companies. I like the sound of the beer vendor calling out Hudeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and the firm hand on my shoulder from the older than God usher who caught me sneaking down into the Blue seats, I like their $5 tickets and standing room policies and the ugly ice cream vendor hats they wore 10 years ago.

I like all that stuff, and even if I wanted to I couldn't stop liking it.

But when I was in my 20's I sure strayed from the game a bit, but I still snuck out now and then to get a taste.

But not caring is fine too, nothing wrong with cheating on baseball, it's a hard master. But if you really love it it will come back to you and you to it.

This is fine prose, poetry even. This is it. And I'm not surprised, really. Well said, WOY.

RedsBaron
08-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Worse, he was a KC A's fan, and he crafted a great piece on their history in his 88 abstract.

Very true, and, just as the Kansas City A's were finally getting a quality young team in place they moved to Oakland in 1968. The KC Royals did quickly develop into a good franchise, but I've got to think it really tore at the fans the A's had in Kansas City in the 1950s and 1960s to see the Oakland A's win three straight World Series in 1972-74.

George Anderson
08-15-2009, 11:32 PM
If I stopped being Reds fan it would be similar to getting a divorce. When I run into friends or acquaintances from years past they know of my love for the Reds so more often than not they are going to bring up the Reds in conversation. If I did say divorce myself from this team and if friends did bring up the Reds in conversation would I just make the comment "I'm sorry but the Reds and I have gone our seperate ways, we are no longer an item". I just can't see myself doing that without people looking at me pretty damn weird.

Besides i have way to much Reds clothing and memorabilia that if i did switch my fandom to another team, it would cost me alot to provide myself a new wordrobe and merchandise etc. , but then again I wouldn't need to pay to see a psychiatrist because of the Reds either.

Spring~Fields
08-16-2009, 12:13 AM

The reason? They are a part of our lives and have been an extended part of our families lives for as long as most of us can remember. Something would be missing without the Cincinnati Reds.

But the ownership and management in my opinion offers no legitimate reason to pay for the product that they market so persuasively every year. Might be healthier to be a bit more detached from this ownership group and management. Stop paying the ownership and management for failure.

Deepred05
08-16-2009, 12:04 PM
I know as soon as I throw the Bengals and Reds overboard they will win it all. Don't say it. I have lived in other big league cities and attended games in those cities, but I could never become a fan of those teams. I tried, but my conciensce, or something, would not allow it.

OnBaseMachine
08-16-2009, 09:56 PM

Nice post. A couple weeks ago I joked around about becoming a Cardinals fan, but in reality, I could never switch teams. I love the Cincinnati Reds. I love them so much that I drove four hours to Cincy on Friday morning and watched them lose three straight games to the worst team in baseball. Every year for the past 10 years I've attented at least 10 games no matter how bad their record is. It's an addiction.

traderumor
08-17-2009, 09:44 AM
I think the only way you start rooting for another team once you have become a fan of a certain franchise is if that franchise no longer exists. But then, I think there are still living Brooklyn Dodgers and NY Giants fans who still do not root for a team because their team left town.

Ltlabner
08-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I love baseball. Lately, the Reds....no so much.

There's a difference between the two and the Reds continue to remind me of that point.

Sea Ray
08-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I love the Reds but I'm finding it very difficult to watch this team. I watch sports for entertainment and I'm not entertained by seeing the likes of Tavares, Janish, Rosales, and Hanigan hitting. The past couple of months the pitching has been atrocious as well. If they fall behind by 3 runs, the game's over. In fact if they fail to score first they're very, very unlikely to win. They don't hit for power, nor are they a speedy team. They have no young studs like Jay Bruce to watch.

Case in point: I was considering heading down to the ballpark on a whim on Saturday but I decided this team wasn't even worth a $5 ticket and I was right. They fell behind 10-1 and if I'd been there I would not have been entertained. I'd have been ticked!

Forget contending. This team hasn't even achieved "entertaining".