PDA

View Full Version : EPL 2009/2010 Season

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
Since it hasn't been started yet, I thought I would put the English Premier League thread out there. I always enjoy some the breakdowns that Redszoners put out there on the prospects for the season. Any thoughts M2? WMR? NJReds? Betterread? anyone else?

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 02:01 PM
By the way, I'm watching Everton play Arsenal, 0-4. For those that were saying Arsenal would be on the downward trend after their transfer season losses, it doesn't seem like it in this first game.

ochre
08-15-2009, 02:12 PM
That 17 year old (Jack Wilshere) for Arsenal looked way impressive in the friendlies I saw.

WMR
08-15-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm extremely interested to see ManU post-Ronaldo.

I always enjoy reading m2's prem league write-ups.

WMR
08-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Also, can Man City dethrone one of the historical "big 4"??

They've spent loads of money to attempt to do just that...

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Geez, Everton 0-6 Arsenal

WMR
08-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Has Timmy let in ALL of those goals??

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Yes, unfortunately. Louis Saha just scored a consolation goal to end it 1-6.

WMR
08-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Ouch. How did Howard look? Were they goals that he should have stopped or was Arsenal just that much better than Everton?

There's a bit of a growing concern towards Howard's seeming inclination to get beat from distance amongst US soccer fans...

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Ouch. How did Howard look? Were they goals that he should have stopped or was Arsenal just that much better than Everton?

There's a bit of a growing concern towards Howard's seeming inclination to get beat from distance amongst US soccer fans...

I didn't see all of them, the ones I didn't see were ones where the Everton D broke down and let Arsenal get in good shots. The last one was put in on a rebound off the post. From what I saw, it looked like Tim might still be feeling the effects of the Mexico trip.

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Looks like ESPN will be showing some EPL in America after all.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=667733&sec=us&cc=5901

Yachtzee
08-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I didn't see all of them, the ones I didn't see were ones where the Everton D broke down and let Arsenal get in good shots. The last one was put in on a rebound off the post. From what I saw, it looked like Tim might still be feeling the effects of the Mexico trip.

Just wanted to update this after watching the highlights. Looks like most of the goals came from set pieces or bits of wizardry from Cesc Fabergas. Longest goal was from just outside the box. I don't know how it makes you feel about Howard's performance, but it looked like Everton's back four some issues of their own.

In other "Americans in the EPL" news, Clint Dempsey's shot deflects off Bobby Zamora to get past David James, giving Fulham the lone tally in their win over Portsmouth.

westofyou
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
It's a fine day when ya wake up and find Tottemtham playing Liverpool on the telly.

improbus
08-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I watched some of Hull City vs. Chelsea on ESPN2 Saturday morning and was very impressed. They used the same feed/announcers that FSC uses (who are almost all excellent), only this time we got HD. My only hope is that ESPN's foray into the EPL won't kill off FSC.

improbus
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
A very strange thing happened this weekend in the EPL. There were no ties. I don't know that I've ever seen that happen before.

reds1869
08-16-2009, 07:57 PM

I'm an Arsenal fan and watched the entire match. Howard didn't do much wrong, his defense simply had holes throughout.

dsmith421
08-16-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm an Arsenal fan and watched the entire match. Howard didn't do much wrong, his defense simply had holes throughout.

Agreed. Arsenal's new 4-3-3 formation worked like a dream yesterday, Everton looked slow, disinterested, and disorganized. The pundits have been awful quick to dismiss Arsenal this season--not only as a title contender but also as a Top Four finisher. I still think the Gooners need an addition or two for squad depth before the window closes, but I'm more sanguine about our chances this season than anytime since Henry left.

Betterread
08-16-2009, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=dsmith421;1952113]Agreed. Arsenal's new 4-3-3 formation worked like a dream yesterday, Everton looked slow, disinterested, and disorganized. The pundits have been awful quick to dismiss Arsenal this season--not only as a title contender but also as a Top Four finisher. I still think the Gooners need an addition or two for squad depth before the window closes, but I'm more sanguine about our chances this season than anytime since Henry left.[/QUOTE
When they're on their game, Arsenal plays the prettiest football in the EPL. This was a convincing win, obviously. But who is their main striker, and what will they do to replace Cesc, when he leaves (maybe soon - Milan wants him)? I'm unconvinced about their title chances until they grind out some results in Spring 2010 when they need must have points.

reds1869
08-17-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think Cesc is going anywhere. Barca is hot on his trail but Wenger has made it clear he's not going. If you listen to Cesc himself he seems very happy to be a Gunner...Arsenal players tend to develop incredible loyalty. Henry still speaks glowingly of how Arsenal was his favorite stop.

dsmith421
08-17-2009, 08:16 AM
When they're on their game, Arsenal plays the prettiest football in the EPL. This was a convincing win, obviously. But who is their main striker, and what will they do to replace Cesc, when he leaves (maybe soon - Milan wants him)? I'm unconvinced about their title chances until they grind out some results in Spring 2010 when they need must have points.

1. Cesc is not leaving anytime soon, and when he does it will be for Barcelona. Wenger has been very clear about his refusal to accept any offer and Fabregas just signed a new contract. My guess is that he's at Arsenal for two more seasons minimum.

2. Arsenal don't really have a 'main' striker, but between Arshavin, van Persie, Eduardo, Bendtner and some of the youngsters (Vela, Walcott) they will score enough goals to compete. The problem is going to be keeping them out, particularly if either Gallas or Vermaelen get hurt.

M2
08-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Wigan looked dynamite against Villa. Tottenham played some exciting football against Liverpool too.

Yet the first week, really the first month, of the season tends to be a bit disconnected from what happens in the rest of the season. We'll surely see some odd, unreprsentative stuff in the next few weeks.

Yachtzee
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
I watched some of Hull City vs. Chelsea on ESPN2 Saturday morning and was very impressed. They used the same feed/announcers that FSC uses (who are almost all excellent), only this time we got HD. My only hope is that ESPN's foray into the EPL won't kill off FSC.

I doubt it. ESPN is only showing a certain number of games whereas FSC has EPL every weekend, Saturdays and Sundays.

On the other hand, I was impressed with FSC/Fox Sports coverage of the Champions League yesterday. They showed not one but two Champions League matches and none of them involved Man U, Chelsea, AC Milan, or Barca. On FSN, they showed Arsenal v. Celtic and on FSC they were showing FC Sheriff v. Olympiakos.

NJReds
08-19-2009, 10:36 AM
On the other hand, I was impressed with FSC/Fox Sports coverage of the Champions League yesterday. They showed not one but two Champions League matches and none of them involved Man U, Chelsea, AC Milan, or Barca. On FSN, they showed Arsenal v. Celtic and on FSC they were showing FC Sheriff v. Olympiakos.

They also showed the two MLS teams in the CONCACAF Champions League matches last night: Columbus Crew at 8 p.m. and DC at 10 p.m. tape delayed.

Their roundup show - basically Sportscenter for world soccer - is excellent, too.

reds1869
08-19-2009, 10:55 AM
I was very impressed with FSC/FSN's coverage of the CL. ESPN has added excellent coverage to the mix, too. This is a golden era for American soccer fans.

improbus
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I was very impressed with FSC/FSN's coverage of the CL. ESPN has added excellent coverage to the mix, too. This is a golden era for American soccer fans.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. FSC is going to show over 100 games (not just Madrid, ManU, and Milan).

11larkin11
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I'm just starting to get into pro and international soccer, but isn't Burnley's upset over Man U pretty big?

reds1869
08-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm just starting to get into pro and international soccer, but isn't Burnley's upset over Man U pretty big?

Huge with a capital silent H. :)

This type of upset occurs annually in the Prem. The league is just so competitive and that is what makes it the most exiting soccer in the world. Sure, the top four has been somewhat consistent but on a week to week basis you just never know.

Yachtzee
08-20-2009, 04:09 PM

No kidding. I just watched FC Salzburg, my favorite European team, on TV for the first time since I left Austria in 1995. They lost their home leg to Maccabi Haifa, which isn't good for their group stage chances, but it was still nice to see them. Hello old friend.

improbus
08-20-2009, 09:08 PM
Huge with a capital silent H. :)

This type of upset occurs annually in the Prem. The league is just so competitive and that is what makes it the most exiting soccer in the world. Sure, the top four has been somewhat consistent but on a week to week basis you just never know.

I was listening to the World Soccer Daily Podcast (done by the FFF guys) and it was great to hear the ManU fans just flipping out and calling their season over.

improbus
08-22-2009, 08:32 AM
I was listening to the World Soccer Daily Podcast (done by the FFF guys) and it was great to hear the ManU fans just flipping out and calling their season over.

This is a huge tangent in a way and quoting myself is not exactly the most literary thing to do, but this seemed appropriate. In my last post, I mentioned the World Soccer Daily Podcast which starred Steven Cohen and Graham Harrell, two Brits (Harrell is a Scot) who live in LA and talk all things soccer. I ran across the podcast a few days ago and really enjoyed it. However, this Friday was the last podcast and it couldn't have ended in any more ignominious way. Cohen is a huge Chelsea fan and he expected a certain amount of harassment from other fans, but they went way too far. Cohen began to receive a large amount of Anti-Semitic emails and calls from Liverpool fans (exclusively) and it got so bad that official Liverpool supporters groups were sending all kinds of letters and petitions to the Podcast's sponsors denouncing the show and its hosts. Steven finally decided to stop the show when, sitting at home, he heard the doorbell ring at a strange hour and was scared for his family. It turned out to be a kid putting his kid through college by selling something, but he decided that he couldn't live this way. So, this Friday he decided to end the show.

Now, the show was on Sirius as well as released in podcast form, so I'm not entirely sure if the audience is exclusively American or if the Brits tune in as well. But, one of the reasons I love soccer is the passion for the game and the partisanship between teams. However, stories like this are showing up more and more in Europe, and to hear that it is (probably) happening here is extremely disturbing. This really makes me sick. I know that this group of fans is a very vocal minority and that I shouldn't let it color my view of Liverpool and its typically terrific fans, however I cannot simply let this slip by without it registering on my radar. I'm never going to see Anfield in quite the same light.

I know that Steven is never going to read this post, but these stories need to be told. The worst part of all of this is that the Anti-Semitic fans are getting exactly what they wanted, namely that Steven and the show are going away. Here is hoping that Steven makes some kind of come back and is allowed to do so with the same freedom and comfort that the rest of us are able to enjoy.

ochre
08-22-2009, 01:37 PM
This is a huge tangent in a way and quoting myself is not exactly the most literary thing to do, but this seemed appropriate. In my last post, I mentioned the World Soccer Daily Podcast which starred Steven Cohen and Graham Harrell, two Brits (Harrell is a Scot) who live in LA and talk all things soccer. I ran across the podcast a few days ago and really enjoyed it. However, this Friday was the last podcast and it couldn't have ended in any more ignominious way. Cohen is a huge Chelsea fan and he expected a certain amount of harassment from other fans, but they went way too far. Cohen began to receive a large amount of Anti-Semitic emails and calls from Liverpool fans (exclusively) and it got so bad that official Liverpool supporters groups were sending all kinds of letters and petitions to the Podcast's sponsors denouncing the show and its hosts. Steven finally decided to stop the show when, sitting at home, he heard the doorbell ring at a strange hour and was scared for his family. It turned out to be a kid putting his kid through college by selling something, but he decided that he couldn't live this way. So, this Friday he decided to end the show.

Now, the show was on Sirius as well as released in podcast form, so I'm not entirely sure if the audience is exclusively American or if the Brits tune in as well. But, one of the reasons I love soccer is the passion for the game and the partisanship between teams. However, stories like this are showing up more and more in Europe, and to hear that it is (probably) happening here is extremely disturbing. This really makes me sick. I know that this group of fans is a very vocal minority and that I shouldn't let it color my view of Liverpool and its typically terrific fans, however I cannot simply let this slip by without it registering on my radar. I'm never going to see Anfield in quite the same light.

I know that Steven is never going to read this post, but these stories need to be told. The worst part of all of this is that the Anti-Semitic fans are getting exactly what they wanted, namely that Steven and the show are going away. Here is hoping that Steven makes some kind of come back and is allowed to do so with the same freedom and comfort that the rest of us are able to enjoy.
I don't think it's quite as simple as that:
http://www.epltalk.com/steven-cohen-blames-liverpool-fans-for-hillsborough-disaster

Cohen was absolutely wrong on his April 13th show regarding the statements he made about the Hillsborough Tragedy. There were not, as he claimed, 6,000-8,000 ticketless fans. Cohen was emphatically wrong when he claimed that Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium was used week-in week-out without incident. And the reason none of the English newspapers last Sunday discussed the “6-8,000 who showed up without tickets” is because they didn’t exist. The vast majority of English journalists and pundits know better because they’ve taken time to study the facts rather than to believe the lies told by The Sun and the South Yorkshire Police.
http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=1e704431d89e7993&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3A1e704431d89e7993Post%3Af340d191-1f40-4b9f-aa2c-0db7f9abaf16

Wynalda replaces Steven Cohen, an English-born radio host who recently drew protests from Liverpool fans and the club itself (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N164483090521-1657.htm) for comments (http://www.epltalk.com/steven-cohen-blames-liverpool-fans-for-hillsborough-disaster) saying unticketed fans were a major factor in the 1989 stadium disaster in which 96 Liverpool fans died. U.S. fans of the club led an effort (http://boycottstevencohen.webs.com/) to convince sponsors to distance themselves from Cohen's shows. Cohen apologized (http://www.epltalk.com/steven-cohen-apologizes-for-inaccurate-hillsborough-claims/7478), claiming he had received death threats.

Granted, death threats and anti-semitism aren't a particularly compelling way to remedy issues, but I'm not sure Cohen is completely innocent in this situation.

NJReds
08-22-2009, 02:51 PM
More on soccer fans bad behavior in the story below. FIFA turns a blind eye to fan behavior, and in some cases like in Mexico, it is encouraged. In Europe the clubs do little to reign in rabid and sometimes racist fan groups.

Bondy: No excuse for vile behavior
Saturday, August 22, 2009

For the sake of making a point, letís pretend Ron Artest is a U.S. soccer player. Now letís visualize something more realistic: Heís involved in a shoving match with a Mexican player.

Artestís reaction is a confusing attempt at passiveness. He lies down near the corner flag with his hands clasped under his head.

Only this isnít a basketball arena in Detroit, and getting hit with one beer is the least of Artestís worries.

Lying within throwing distance of Azteca Stadiumís vile fans, Artest is pelted with at least five beers, two cups of urine, a bag of vomit and three batteries.

Artest tries to run into the crowd but is blocked by a moat and a barbed wire fence. The place is a war zone. Security either doesnít care or wonít dare venture outside of the aisles. Artestís only option is to run back to the U.S. sideline and hose off the excrement.

Then he trots back on the field ó 7,200 feet above sea level ó and attempts to win a World Cup qualifier.

Welcome to the life inside CONCACAFís trenches. It requires guts, evasive instincts and the kind of self control that Artest or any other professional athlete never will have to summon.

You canít punch the fans because you canít get to them. You canít complain because nobody will listen. According to witnesses speaking to Yahoo.com after the Aug. 12 World Cup qualifier, one Mexican fan decided to chug a beer, stick a finger in his mouth to regurgitate that beer, and then chuck the cardboard cup at U.S. striker Landon Donovan as he took a corner kick. His friend did the same with a cup of fresh urine.

The behavior absolutely is despicable, and absolutely unexplainable. There is no reason one of richest soccer federations in the world should allow such foul conduct. But itís commonplace in Azteca Stadium.

The Americans have dealt with it for years in a place they never have won, and they will continue to deal with it as long as spectators can hurl objects without repercussion. For the safety of a group of traveling U.S. fans, riot-squad guards had to circle them to form a shield.

If Juventus has to play in an empty stadium because its fans are racist (as it did last season), Mexico should do the same for bodily fluids finding their way onto the pitch.

Aug. 12 was the first time I covered a U.S.-Mexico game at Azteca Stadium and, although my experience pales in comparison to that of the players, I certainly got a taste.

There was no press box in a stadium that seats more than 100,000. No (working) Internet. No barrier between journalists and inebriated fans calling us, "gringos."

One colleague was forced to write a story while a man in face-paint ó standing about four feet from the press area ó screamed in his face and gestured obscenities.

We adapted, of course, just as Charlie Davies did by halting his goal celebration because of flying objects. By the time the third beer rained down on the press area, we learned to cover our laptops first, our heads second. Azteca can be navigated as long as you donít mind the smell of stale beer.

But it shouldnít be like this. And American players should stop calling it "a unique environment." Itís an inexcusable environment.

Yachtzee
08-22-2009, 07:52 PM
I don't think it's quite as simple as that:
http://www.epltalk.com/steven-cohen-blames-liverpool-fans-for-hillsborough-disaster

http://www.usatoday.com/community/profile.htm?UID=1e704431d89e7993&plckController=PersonaBlog&plckScript=personaScript&plckElementId=personaDest&plckPersonaPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3A1e704431d89e7993Post%3Af340d191-1f40-4b9f-aa2c-0db7f9abaf16

Granted, death threats and anti-semitism aren't a particularly compelling way to remedy issues, but I'm not sure Cohen is completely innocent in this situation.

I haven't heard much from Cohen. In fact I've avoided him because more knowledgeable soccer fans than I have said his actions are to the level of a soccer equivalent of Bill Cunningham. He thrives on creating controversy and from what I've heard, he's not above having his stooges call in as fake fans to give the show some punch. He's had an ongoing hatefest with Liverpool and constantly antagonizes Liverpool fans by belittling them and blaming them for the tragedy at Hillsborough even though the FA and English Government investigated it and absolved fans of blame, stating that the problems arose from improper crowd control and design flaws at the stadium. They had a problem with a lot of ticketed fans arriving late because of traffic issues on the major British highway from Liverpool to Sheffield and, in order to deal with the crowd, they simply opened more gates and funneled people into already overcrowded fenced-in pens rather than diverting the incoming crowd to empty seating areas to either side. Cohen still blames "drunken Liverpool fans" for the tragedy.

While I disagree with fans using Anti-Semitic and threats on his call-in show, based on what I've heard of the guy, a part of me wonders if this isn't some sort of stunt to generate controversy while he takes a vacation and then returns with the podcast claiming "victory" over the big bad Liverpool fans.

Yachtzee
08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
More on soccer fans bad behavior in the story below. FIFA turns a blind eye to fan behavior, and in some cases like in Mexico, it is encouraged. In Europe the clubs do little to reign in rabid and sometimes racist fan groups.

Actually, I think UEFA, the EPL, the Dutch League and some other European leagues have been trying to cut down on the racist behavior among fans as they've started to market their leagues globally. Of course there's still a problem with it in some leagues, especially those in the Balkans and Eastern Europe, which haven't quite hit the global jackpot that the top leagues have.

Notice in the story that Juventus had to play a game in front of an empty stadium because of racist behavior among its fans. That to me shows even Serie A, where Lazio fans were using the Nazi salute a few years back, is taking things seriously.

On the other hand, CONCACAF has some serious issues with fan behavior, but I don't see anything happening to curb it until something tragic happens. CONCACAF is notorious for corruption among confederation officials, starting with it's chief, Jack Warner. There are rumors that he has used his office to collect bribes and install his henchmen into the upper echelons of most CONCACAF national federations. So unless something happens to the degree where the public outcry will become so intense that FIFA will have no other recourse that to push him out and seek changes in how CONCACAF runs things, things won't change.

Yachtzee
08-22-2009, 08:10 PM
By the way, is it just me, or does Man U's primary jersey for this season make them look like the soccer team for a Star Trek Convention?

improbus
08-22-2009, 09:00 PM
By the way, is it just me, or does Man U's primary jersey for this season make them look like the soccer team for a Star Trek Convention?
Agreed. They also remind me of something Steve McQueen would have worn while racing motorcycles...

improbus
08-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I haven't heard much from Cohen. In fact I've avoided him because more knowledgeable soccer fans than I have said his actions are to the level of a soccer equivalent of Bill Cunningham. He thrives on creating controversy and from what I've heard, he's not above having his stooges call in as fake fans to give the show some punch. He's had an ongoing hatefest with Liverpool and constantly antagonizes Liverpool fans by belittling them and blaming them for the tragedy at Hillsborough even though the FA and English Government investigated it and absolved fans of blame, stating that the problems arose from improper crowd control and design flaws at the stadium. They had a problem with a lot of ticketed fans arriving late because of traffic issues on the major British highway from Liverpool to Sheffield and, in order to deal with the crowd, they simply opened more gates and funneled people into already overcrowded fenced-in pens rather than diverting the incoming crowd to empty seating areas to either side. Cohen still blames "drunken Liverpool fans" for the tragedy.

To a certain degree that sounds like alot of sports radio guys, only this was the wrong issue to use in that way. I didn't know the history of him and his comments on Hillsborough, but they seem to have been short-sighted. Thanks for the info.

Yachtzee
08-22-2009, 10:42 PM
To a certain degree that sounds like alot of sports radio guys, only this was the wrong issue to use in that way. I didn't know the history of him and his comments on Hillsborough, but they seem to have been short-sighted. Thanks for the info.

Just looking around the web, it looks like another reason for the possible demise of World Soccer Daily is that Cohen's comments regarding Hillsborough may have driven off all his sponsors.

NJReds
08-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Actually, I think UEFA, the EPL, the Dutch League and some other European leagues have been trying to cut down on the racist behavior among fans as they've started to market their leagues globally. Of course there's still a problem with it in some leagues, especially those in the Balkans and Eastern Europe, which haven't quite hit the global jackpot that the top leagues have.

Notice in the story that Juventus had to play a game in front of an empty stadium because of racist behavior among its fans. That to me shows even Serie A, where Lazio fans were using the Nazi salute a few years back, is taking things seriously.

On the other hand, CONCACAF has some serious issues with fan behavior, but I don't see anything happening to curb it until something tragic happens. CONCACAF is notorious for corruption among confederation officials, starting with it's chief, Jack Warner. There are rumors that he has used his office to collect bribes and install his henchmen into the upper echelons of most CONCACAF national federations. So unless something happens to the degree where the public outcry will become so intense that FIFA will have no other recourse that to push him out and seek changes in how CONCACAF runs things, things won't change.

Actually, you're right about the EPL. For all the games that I watch on Fox Soccer Channel, the crowds seem great and they're right on top of the field with no barriers.

Serie A gets tough occasionally ... like in Juve's case or Lazio's. But they still have way too many problems between the Ultra fan groups and police. I think just instituting a ban on bringing flares/M80s to the game would do wonders.

Central America and Mexico is like the wild west. Anything goes at those stadiums.

improbus
08-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Just looking around the web, it looks like another reason for the possible demise of World Soccer Daily is that Cohen's comments regarding Hillsborough may have driven off all his sponsors.
Absolutely. The Liverpool fan groups were bombarding his sponsors with appropriate and inappropriate criticism of Cohen. We'll find out if you're right or not if the show is able to continue sans Cohen.

improbus
08-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Despite the 1-0 score, Fulham are playing Chelsea very well. They simply haven't been able to make that final pass. Fulham are certainly much improved over the teams that were constantly fighting relegation battles.

improbus
08-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Burnley does it again, 1-0 over Everton at Turf Moor. Wow. Burnley is playing inspired football (and living a charmed life, Everton missed a penalty ala United last week). Everton are off to a horrific start.

reds1869
08-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Despite the 1-0 score, Fulham are playing Chelsea very well. They simply haven't been able to make that final pass. Fulham are certainly much improved over the teams that were constantly fighting relegation battles.

Fulham should be solidly mid table this year. It is nice to see a club that loves Yanks doing well.

reds1869
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Liverpool drops three more points...Rafa will start feeling the tingle from his ever-warmer seat soon.

RawOwl UK
08-26-2009, 01:47 PM
They had a problem with a lot of ticketed fans arriving late because of traffic issues on the major British highway from Liverpool to Sheffield and, in order to deal with the crowd, they simply opened more gates and funneled people into already overcrowded fenced-in pens rather than diverting the incoming crowd to empty seating areas to either side. Cohen still blames "drunken Liverpool fans" for the tragedy.

Hillsbrough will never be forgotton

I have heard many stories from hillsbrough locals that don't put all the blame with SY police.

reds1869
08-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Not an EPL match, but did anyone else catch Arsenal v. Celtic? I mean, that was a quality Celtic side Arsenal sliced like Swiss Cheese. The Gunners are looking to be extremely dangerous this year, though we'll know more this time Saturday.

dsmith421
08-26-2009, 06:57 PM
Not an EPL match, but did anyone else catch Arsenal v. Celtic? I mean, that was a quality Celtic side Arsenal sliced like Swiss Cheese. The Gunners are looking to be extremely dangerous this year, though we'll know more this time Saturday.

Look, I'm a huge Arsenal fan, but that Celtic team was pedestrian at best, and the Gooners clinched the tie with a fluke goal off Gallas' rear, an OG, and a penalty that replay proves was an outright dive.

I love what I've seen so far from the Everton and Pompey matches, but Wenger's cubs have flattered to deceive for a long time. Show me solid performances in Manchester the next two matches and I'm convinced.

reds1869
08-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Look, I'm a huge Arsenal fan, but that Celtic team was pedestrian at best, and the Gooners clinched the tie with a fluke goal off Gallas' rear, an OG, and a penalty that replay proves was an outright dive.

I love what I've seen so far from the Everton and Pompey matches, but Wenger's cubs have flattered to deceive for a long time. Show me solid performances in Manchester the next two matches and I'm convinced.

It's not so much the goals they scored as the way they looked doing it. I've been watching Arsenal my whole life and not since the Invincibles have they shown this kind of killer instinct. As they say, you create your own luck. I, too, think the next two matches will be telling. But to say Celtic is pedestrian is harsh...they would easily be a top 10 side in the Prem.

dsmith421
08-29-2009, 07:57 PM
Well, I actually am somewhat heartened by the fact that Arsenal held their own and arguably outplayed Manchester United today, even though they lost on two horrendous mistakes.

I absolutely 100% disagree with your assessment of Celtic. They get up for their Champions League matches, but I'd be shocked if they finished in the top half of the Premiership as constituted. (However, if they WERE in the Premiership, given the increased resources from television and marketing...then maybe you've got a point).

improbus
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, I actually am somewhat heartened by the fact that Arsenal held their own and arguably outplayed Manchester United today, even though they lost on two horrendous mistakes.

While watching the game, I remember thinking to myself "Arsenal is dominating this game, but something inexplicable is going to happen and United is going to get three points." As it turns out two (or more) inexplicable things happened and they in fact did lose. Classic Arsenal and Classic United.

improbus
08-30-2009, 08:53 PM
What does everyone think of Spurs? They might be the quickest team I've seen in years. Lennon has really grown into his boots and become a force on the right side and Defoe is really playing well.

reds1869
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Chelsea handed transfer ban:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=673135&sec=england&cc=5901

improbus
09-20-2009, 09:27 AM
The 1st Really Huge Manchester Derby. 1-1 at half w/ goals by Rooney and Barry. If only it were on TV.... I would have loved to see Tevez's welcome at Old Trafford.

reds1869
09-20-2009, 10:26 PM
The 1st Really Huge Manchester Derby. 1-1 at half w/ goals by Rooney and Barry. If only it were on TV.... I would have loved to see Tevez's welcome at Old Trafford.

I normally don't pull for ManU, but I made an exception for that match.

improbus
09-21-2009, 09:30 PM
I normally don't pull for ManU, but I made an exception for that match.
That is a dangerous road to travel down.

reds1869
09-22-2009, 07:15 AM
That is a dangerous road to travel down.

Don't worry, I'm right back to my usual hatred. But the sight of Adebayor in City Blue makes me burn with rage.

improbus
10-25-2009, 10:07 AM
Liverpool vs. ManU. Liverpool is trying to salvage their season w/out Gerrard. Four losses in 9 EPL games is not a good start for them.

westofyou
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Liverpool vs. ManU. Liverpool is trying to salvage their season w/out Gerrard. Four losses in 9 EPL games is not a good start for them.

Pretty nice job at salvaging that game, it was a nice battle, card heavy towards the end too.

reds1869
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
What an absolute stunner from Cesc. Too bad ESPN was still showing the replay of Van Persie's goal. :)

improbus
10-31-2009, 10:03 AM
What an absolute stunner from Cesc. Too bad ESPN was still showing the replay of Van Persie's goal. :)

Agreed. Arsenal are frgithening when they are on, but I expect them to concede at least one to Spurs.

reds1869
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Agreed. Arsenal are frgithening when they are on, but I expect them to concede at least one to Spurs.

Actually, I thought they would concede as well. I'm rather impressed by their effort today. As an Arsenal man I can't ask for much more, especially after the disaster last week and the way Spurs shot off their mouths in the run up.

improbus
10-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Actually, I thought they would concede as well. I'm rather impressed by their effort today. As an Arsenal man I can't ask for much more, especially after the disaster last week and the way Spurs shot off their mouths in the run up.
Spurs really missed Lennon. They had no ability to feed their strikers without him.

reds1869
10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Spurs really missed Lennon. They had no ability to feed their strikers without him.

Definitely. They also sorely missed Defoe, who is their leading scorer. Oh well, a side that has so seriously "closed the gap" with Arsenal should have been able to soldier on, right?

jmcclain19
01-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Man U lost awesomely to Leeds today in the FA Cup today.

Great job Leeds like watching the Yanks lose to Chattanooga.

improbus
01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Did anyone else catch Donovan's game vs. Manchester City? Donovan came out like gang-busters but faded pretty quickly. He still needs to learn the spacing, pace, and rapid decision making needed to excel in the EPL. Watching the MLS is too often like watching 6 year-olds play soccer. He has way too many years of MLS soccer to "unlearn."

reds1869
01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Did anyone else catch Donovan's game vs. Manchester City? Donovan came out like gang-busters but faded pretty quickly. He still needs to learn the spacing, pace, and rapid decision making needed to excel in the EPL. Watching the MLS is too often like watching 6 year-olds play soccer. He has way too many years of MLS soccer to "unlearn."

Playing in the Prem is going to prepare him for the World Cup. I'm thrilled he is there.

improbus
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Playing in the Prem is going to prepare him for the World Cup. I'm thrilled he is there.

Agree 100%. I saw flashes from Donovan and I just hope the Everton give him the chance to play significant minutes.

RawOwl UK
01-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Big blow for you guys regarding the Dempsey injury. He should be back before the end of the season though.

reds1869
01-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Big blow for you guys regarding the Dempsey injury. He should be back before the end of the season though.

We seem really prone to injuries this World Cup cycle. Hopefully we'll field a healthy team in time to beat you 1-0 due to a missed penalty kick. Oh, come on...you know it will be on a missed penalty. ;)

reds1869
01-21-2010, 08:09 AM
Well, well, well...Gunners on top of the table. They are my number two team so I'm enjoying the run.

RawOwl UK
01-23-2010, 04:29 PM
We seem really prone to injuries this World Cup cycle. Hopefully we'll field a healthy team in time to beat you 1-0 due to a missed penalty kick. Oh, come on...you know it will be on a missed penalty. ;)

I think we are due some luck if we go to pens this time :rolleyes:

improbus
02-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Donovan continues his impressive Everton run. He sent over the cross which Saha headed in for one goal and earned a penalty (which Saha missed). I hope for his sake that he can make this move permanent.

Also, Altidore has really started to come on for Hull. He started a 1-1 tie vs. Chelsea and scored in a 2-1 win over Man City. The Yanks are really making an impact in England.

reds1869
02-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I would love to see Lando make this move permanently, too. I had a chance to meet him a couple of years ago in Columbus. I worked at the Easton Market Starbucks at the time and he was signing autographs down the sidewalk at Radio Shack. He was truly a class guy.

NJReds
02-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Also, Altidore has really started to come on for Hull. He started a 1-1 tie vs. Chelsea and scored in a 2-1 win over Man City. The Yanks are really making an impact in England.

What impresses me about Altidore is his workrate on the field. The guy really puts out max effort and once he refines his skill I think he'll be a tremendous striker. Athletically, he's already there. I'm glad he's getting time at Hull now.

Yachtzee
02-11-2010, 12:20 PM
What impresses me about Altidore is his workrate on the field. The guy really puts out max effort and once he refines his skill I think he'll be a tremendous striker. Athletically, he's already there. I'm glad he's getting time at Hull now.

That's something I noticed at the Confederations Cup, not just for Altidore, but for a lot of members of the team. The U.S. seems to put out well conditioned players that can run all day. Spain tried to pass them to death and it didn't work. I think with Altidore and Donovan (along with Dempsey, who's been there for a while) getting regular work in the EPL, it will help build their intelligence and confidence on the field to the point where the U.S. offense will be dangerous.

improbus
02-11-2010, 05:03 PM
That's something I noticed at the Confederations Cup, not just for Altidore, but for a lot of members of the team. The U.S. seems to put out well conditioned players that can run all day. Spain tried to pass them to death and it didn't work. I think with Altidore and Donovan (along with Dempsey, who's been there for a while) getting regular work in the EPL, it will help build their intelligence and confidence on the field to the point where the U.S. offense will be dangerous.
I also like that Altidore is learning the position of striker in a way that other athletic Americans like Eddie Johnson never really did.

While the Confederations Cup was encouraging for the USMNT, I think it is the club level play that is really getting me pumped for South Africa.

Yachtzee
02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
I also like that Altidore is learning the position of striker in a way that other athletic Americans like Eddie Johnson never really did.

While the Confederations Cup was encouraging for the USMNT, I think it is the club level play that is really getting me pumped for South Africa.

Very true. The Confederations Cup showed that the US could run with any team. But only solid international club experience is going to help these guys build the confidence and field smarts to compete regularly with the top national teams.

Red Heeler
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
Very true. The Confederations Cup showed that the US could run with any team. But only solid international club experience is going to help these guys build the confidence and field smarts to compete regularly with the top national teams.

Getting some folks in charge of the US Soccer Federation who have more than a basic understanding of the game would help too. MLS and the US national teams play too simple and disorganized to compete regularly against top teams.

The strength of the US team is always going to be small, athletic players who can run. They should play something akin to basketball on grass. Make the other team's lungs burn chasing them up and down the field.

WMR
02-14-2010, 03:33 AM
small

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/photos/uncategorized/onyewu_borgetti_1.jpg

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/images/2008/02/12/jozy_altidore_isi_photos.jpg

Say :wave:

Big, strong, and fast is always preferable to small and fast in defenders and strikers. Obviously, skill is the overriding factor, but all things being equal, you want size at those spots.

Red Heeler
02-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Say :wave:

Big, strong, and fast is always preferable to small and fast in defenders and strikers. Obviously, skill is the overriding factor, but all things being equal, you want size at those spots.

I'm fairly underwhelmed by Gooch's game. Altidore is 5'9" and 175 lbs, not exactly a man mountain.

Sure, bigger is better given the same skill, speed, and agility. Problem is that most of the elite big, strong, fast athletes in America are playing football, not futbol.

Betterread
02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
That's something I noticed at the Confederations Cup, not just for Altidore, but for a lot of members of the team. The U.S. seems to put out well conditioned players that can run all day. Spain tried to pass them to death and it didn't work.

I don't think that the Confederations Cup success by the US results in many of the generalizations here.
I think the US team is physically fit, but I see their conditioning should be improved in two areas: maintaining technical ability and tactical concentration. They are behind many national squads in those two areas. In a nutshell they can run all day but they can't make clean traps and passes and play smart football all day.

WMR
02-14-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm fairly underwhelmed by Gooch's game. Altidore is 5'9" and 175 lbs, not exactly a man mountain.

Sure, bigger is better given the same skill, speed, and agility. Problem is that most of the elite big, strong, fast athletes in America are playing football, not futbol.

Jozy is 6' 1".

Red Heeler
02-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Jozy is 6' 1".

I don't have any idea where I got the 5' 9". I must have read the wrong line. USSF website has him listed as 5' 11".

Anyway, it really doesn't matter. The U.S. has a better chance at getting smaller elite athletes to play soccer than it has getting big elite athletes. Football is too popular and too lucrative for the bigger guys. I'm not saying that you don't take the bigger guys if they are the best at their position. I'm just saying that the team philosophy should be built around taking advantage of smaller guys who can run like crazy.

Red Heeler
02-14-2010, 04:39 PM
In a nutshell they can run all day but they can't make clean traps and passes and play smart football all day.

They can't do that any better when they are fresh. We Americans play a dumbed down form of the game from the time kids start in AYSO or any other youth league to the time they get on a European club. For American soccer to get to the next level, there will have to be a coaching philosophy change at the top of USSF that filters down all the way to the youth leagues.

improbus
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
They can't do that any better when they are fresh. We Americans play a dumbed down form of the game from the time kids start in AYSO or any other youth league to the time they get on a European club. For American soccer to get to the next level, there will have to be a coaching philosophy change at the top of USSF that filters down all the way to the youth leagues.
I think your right, but only at the higher levels. I think we have too much coaching at the younger levels. Kids don't learn the game on their own and the coaches beat the individuality out of them, and soccer is the one place where that individuality really can shine.

Yachtzee
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I don't think that the Confederations Cup success by the US results in many of the generalizations here.
I think the US team is physically fit, but I see their conditioning should be improved in two areas: maintaining technical ability and tactical concentration. They are behind many national squads in those two areas. In a nutshell they can run all day but they can't make clean traps and passes and play smart football all day.

When I talk about conditioning, my understanding is that of the strictly American sense, meaning physical fitness. When I played soccer, the conditioning portion of our training consisted of those two-a-day practices early in the season intended to build your physical stamina rather than build footskills or tactical understanding. The US can pretty much outlast a lot of teams (outside of Mexico in Azteca) when it comes to physical stamina. I think the US excels in building physical fitness in athletes in all sports.

The areas in which the US finds itself lacking, from a soccer perspective, are those areas which require finesse and tactical intelligence. That kind of understanding only comes from consistent play against top-level talent. In my opinion, US players will improve in those areas over time, but it requires two things: 1) more US players in the upper echelons of international club football, and 2) more international players coming into the MLS to provide diversity in style of play. Things have been moving in those directions over the years, but it needs to be pushed further.

Red Heeler
02-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I think your right, but only at the higher levels. I think we have too much coaching at the younger levels. Kids don't learn the game on their own and the coaches beat the individuality out of them, and soccer is the one place where that individuality really can shine.

Oh, I fully agree. The biggest problem with the US coaching is that kids spend far too much time dribbling through cones and not enough time just playing soccer. A more free flowing philosophy from top down would do wonders for US soccer. "Total soccer" would play very well with talent available here.

improbus
02-16-2010, 03:41 PM
I couldn't find a thread for the CL, but Lyon and Real are putting on a dive-off. I love Spanish/French football, but the dives are indefensible.

NJReds
02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
I couldn't find a thread for the CL, but Lyon and Real are putting on a dive-off. I love Spanish/French football, but the dives are indefensible.

It is tough to watch. Watching these guys flop all over the field is maddening, but until the refs stop rewarding that behavior it's here to stay.

Man U and Milan put on a heck of a show today. Ronaldinho is in great form right now, but may not be on Brazil's WC team. Rooney has developed into one of the best in the world.

improbus
02-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Since Donovan joined Everton, look at this record
2-2 tie @ Arsenal
2-0 win vs. Manchester City
1-2 loss at Bimingham (the hottest team in England at the time in an FA Cup tie)
2-0 win vs. Sunderland
1-0 win @ Wigan
0-1 loss @ Liverpool
2-1 win vs. Chelsea
2-1 win vs. Sporting Lisbon in Europa Cup
3-1 win vs. Manchester United

So, thats 6-2-1 including wins over the two title contenders. That would be an impressive run of form if your name was Chelsea of Man U. Keep in mind that they lost Fellaini and Cahill (before the United game) and have played without Jagielka, their top defender.

westofyou
02-26-2010, 04:33 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-portsmouth-finances&prov=ap&type=lgns

LONDON (AP)—Portsmouth became the first Premier League team forced to seek bankruptcy protection from its creditors on Friday, enabling the insolvent business to restructure financially.

The bottom club in the world’s richest league was placed into administration by the High Court less than two years after winning the FA Cup because Balram Chainrai—its fourth owner this season—was unable to clear debts of around $105 million.

Although Portsmouth will still operate, relegation to the second-tier is a near certainty, with the nine-point penalty that administration brings leaving manager Avram Grant’s team 17 points from safety.

Court-appointed Andrew Andronikou has asked the Premier League to allow it to sell one or two players and advance a $16.7 million parachute payment that would be due after relegation to the League Championship.

“I am hoping to obtain some sort of concessions from them,” said Andronikou of accountancy firm UHY Hacker Young. “We are looking to immediately address the significant monthly cash burn of the club by implementing a strict cost rationalization program.”

By going into administration, a winding up order from the government’s Revenue and Customs authority over unpaid tax will be suspended.

But everyone from manager Avram Grant to the players at the club likely will see their wages slashed, while chief executive Peter Storrie said he will leave after the club’s future is secured.

Storrie described Portsmouth entering administration as “an extremely sad day for everyone connected with the club.”

Pompey have been in administration once before, in December 1998, when Milan Mandaric bought the then-second tier club.

The Premier League board will meet to invoke the nine-point sanction.

“The board will also meet the administrator at the earliest opportunity to receive their views on the financial status of Portsmouth FC and set out the conditions for the club to fulfill its commitments for the remainder of the season,” the Premier League said in a statement. “We understand the need to act as swiftly and transparently as possible; however there is a process which means we can only provide comment at the appropriate junctures.”

Chainrai is looking to recover a $25.8 million loan he made to the previous owners. The Hong Kong businessman took over the club this month as a short-term arrangement to protect his investment after becoming frustrated that several deadlines were missed to repay loans he had made to the club.

“He was told the club had certain debts but didn’t know that Premier League rules say football debts become a priority, that money owed on transfers must be paid first,” Chainrai spokesman Phil Hall said. “He asked the questions and was given answers and assurances that turned out not to be true.”

FIFA is set to discuss the plight of the 112-year-old club at its next executive committee meeting on March 18.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown had expressed concern about the high levels of debt in English soccer.

“It is a sad day for a great club and it is deeply regrettable if they do go into administration,” Brown spokesman Simon Lewis said Friday. “We remain concerned that fans and communities of football clubs like Portsmouth shouldn’t suffer because of the inability of clubs to manage their finances properly.”

improbus
02-26-2010, 07:45 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/news?slug=ap-portsmouth-finances&prov=ap&type=lgns
This may sound callous and harsh, but the best thing for soccer may have been letting Portsmouth die. I find this line very ironic.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown had expressed concern about the high levels of debt in English soccer.
ďIt is a sad day for a great club and it is deeply regrettable if they do go into administration,Ē Brown spokesman Simon Lewis said Friday. ďWe remain concerned that fans and communities of football clubs like Portsmouth shouldnít suffer because of the inability of clubs to manage their finances properly.Ē
I can almost guarantee that it was the pressure of the fans to put on a winning product that led the club to make the poor financial decisions that it did. No one learned from Leeds.

Yachtzee
02-26-2010, 08:55 PM
This may sound callous and harsh, but the best thing for soccer may have been letting Portsmouth die. I find this line very ironic.

I can almost guarantee that it was the pressure of the fans to put on a winning product that led the club to make the poor financial decisions that it did. No one learned from Leeds.

The European transfer market probably hastened things a bit as well. I have a feeling Portsmouth won't be the first top flight European team to go into receivership in the next few years. With teams like Real Madrid, Chelsea, ManU and Man City, Inter and AC Milan, and others driving up the price for top talent, it inflates the asking price for quality players that teams like Portsmouth need to avoid relegation. With the current debt crisis in Spain, I wonder what happens if, say, the Spanish government can no longer prop up the banks that gave Real all that money to help get Ronaldo and friends.

improbus
02-26-2010, 09:39 PM
The European transfer market probably hastened things a bit as well. I have a feeling Portsmouth won't be the first top flight European team to go into receivership in the next few years. With teams like Real Madrid, Chelsea, ManU and Man City, Inter and AC Milan, and others driving up the price for top talent, it inflates the asking price for quality players that teams like Portsmouth need to avoid relegation. With the current debt crisis in Spain, I wonder what happens if, say, the Spanish government can no longer prop up the banks that gave Real all that money to help get Ronaldo and friends.

Also, there will be less and less "sugar dadies" to come in and bail them out. The current world economy isn't exactly growing more Abromovich's on trees.

WMR
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM

It's like several New York Yankees on a global scale, magnifying things exponentially.

Yachtzee
02-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Also, there will be less and less "sugar dadies" to come in and bail them out. The current world economy isn't exactly growing more Abromovich's on trees.

And with the attitude the Russian government has been taking toward oligarchs, there may be even fewer as some of the ones that own teams already get picked off.

improbus
02-27-2010, 08:23 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/03/english-premier-league-debt

This is a really nice (and slightly technical) overview of the financial state of the Premier League from June of 2009.

Here is a quote about the state of Villa that says everything you need to know about the state of English football.

State they're in:
Martin O'Neill lamented at the end of the season that he did not have the "wherewithal" to compete with the big four clubs, after Villa's smaller squad petered out in the spring. That was despite meaty financial backing from their US owner Randy Lerner, who invested a further £48.5m, as loans, in Villa between May 2007 and 2008. The club currently owes Lerner £75.5m. Such is the cost of trying to fund a major club to finish sixth in the Premier League.
I also love that Everton made 26,000 pounds. That is outstanding.

reds1869
02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/jun/03/english-premier-league-debt

This is a really nice (and slightly technical) overview of the financial state of the Premier League from June of 2009.

Here is a quote about the state of Villa that says everything you need to know about the state of English football.

I also love that Everton made 26,000 pounds. That is outstanding.

Yeah, that's pretty amusing.

improbus
02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
This is directly copied from yahoo's soccer page headline.
http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer

Andy Rooney (center) scored the decisive goal as Manchester United edged Aston Villa 2-1 to win the Carling Cup on Sunday.
http://stuffthatmoves.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/andy_rooney.jpg

improbus
03-05-2010, 07:10 AM
NEWS FLASH! Owen Injured!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=750865&sec=england&cc=5901

It is really unfortunate that a player with so much potential was never really allowed to reach it.

reds1869
03-05-2010, 07:15 AM
NEWS FLASH! Owen Injured!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=750865&sec=england&cc=5901

It is really unfortunate that a player with so much potential was never really allowed to reach it.

Shocking!!!

Or not. Has there ever been a player more snake bitten than Michael Owen?

improbus
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Has anyone else noticed that Max Bretos moved from FSC to ESPN? I'm assuming that this is a World Cup move. I've never been much of a Bretos guy, he is sort of the Bill Shatner of soccer commentary.

improbus
03-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Everton vs. Hull City on FSC and no Altidore or Donovan. Very disappointing.

reds1869
03-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Has anyone else noticed that Max Bretos moved from FSC to ESPN? I'm assuming that this is a World Cup move. I've never been much of a Bretos guy, he is sort of the Bill Shatner of soccer commentary.

Yeeeeeeasssss!
:rolleyes:

I really despise his commentary.

Betterread
03-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Shocking!!!

Or not. Has there ever been a player more snake bitten than Michael Owen?

Marco Van Basten immediately comes to mind. He was far more skilled and succesful than Owen. He was done at 29 and could have been one of the best ever.

improbus
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm completely disappointed that Donovan's loan spell is done. Let's hope that MLS sees the opportunity for him to improve as a player. I really hope he never plays another minute in MLS (and I deeply love the league.)

reds1869
03-09-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm completely disappointed that Donovan's loan spell is done. Let's hope that MLS sees the opportunity for him to improve as a player. I really hope he never plays another minute in MLS (and I deeply love the league.)

MLS is trying really hard to NASL itself out of existence right now. The very whiff of a shutdown is beyond comprehension...it would destroy the league.

I hope Landon gets to stay at Everton. He has grown tremendously and become something of a fan favorite. It is in the best interest of American soccer for him to play in the best league in the world.

Betterread
03-10-2010, 08:54 PM
With Real Madrid elimated from the champions league and Man U progressing - it makes the Rooney/Ronaldo competition tilt significantly in favor of the Liverpudlian - 30 goals for Wayne and 21 for Ronny. Rooney now has reached the Messi level - what he sacrifices in touch and skill to Ronny, Leo, kaka and Ibra he makes up for with in-game analysis. His football brain is incredible and he has the work rate to apply it.

reds1869
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Me thinks Arsenal is going to pick up some hardware this season. Only two points adrift of United and the other members of the top three play each other again, so someone will drop some points.

reds1869
03-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Big match between Barca and the Gunners this afternoon. Both Cesc and Gallas have been made available, so it should be a real cracker!

BuckeyeRed27
02-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Big match between Barca and the Gunners this afternoon. Both Cesc and Gallas have been made available, so it should be a real cracker!

Ha. Interesting this was the last post in this thread 11 months ago.

I've always loosely followed the EPL, but this is the first year that I've really gotten into it and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would.

Yachtzee
02-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Ha. Interesting this was the last post in this thread 11 months ago.

I've always loosely followed the EPL, but this is the first year that I've really gotten into it and I'm enjoying it way more than I thought I would.

Yep. This was last season's thread. I can't remember if we started one for this season, but soccer discussion pretty much fizzled out after the World Cup. I wonder if people around here just got soccer overload. Of course, some of the key soccer fans don't come around here anymore.

I've been watching EPL and Champions League this year. Saw Tottenham and Shakhtar Donetsk get key wins last week.

westofyou
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Yep. This was last season's thread. I can't remember if we started one for this season, but soccer discussion pretty much fizzled out after the World Cup. I wonder if people around here just got soccer overload. Of course, some of the key soccer fans don't come around here anymore.

I've been watching EPL and Champions League this year. Saw Tottenham and Shakhtar Donetsk get key wins last week.

Tottenham has had nice run this year

reds1869
02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
For my money the German Bundesliga has been the thing to watch this year. The twists and turns would make a suspense novelist proud. Dortmund is pulling away a bit but the battle for European spots is spectacularly tight. I'm a Bayern fan by birth--my mom wouldn't allow anything else--but the league is better when they aren't so dominant.

BuckeyeRed27
03-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Anybody see Stuart Holden get taken out this weekend? Nasty stuff. He's out 6 months and going to miss the Gold Cup for the US squad.

Arsenal and Spurs both had awful draws and haven't done real well over the last month in general.

On a seperate note it was pretty cool to see Charlie Davies get back on the field and score twice for DC United in the MLS this weekend.