PDA

View Full Version : Exciting Race Shaping Up

Brutus
08-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Catch The Fever (http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings/_/group/9/sort/winPercent)

And this could be real important. The clock might just be about ready to strike midnight on Cinderella. There may be no glass slipper in the nation's capital tonight.

So can one of the wicked step sisters earn a trip to the next Strasburg ball?

Yachtzee
08-16-2009, 01:32 AM
Imagine if they had Promotion/Relegation in MLB.

George Anderson
08-16-2009, 01:35 AM
I am beyond excited!!! I think we have a very good chance of catching Washington!!:beerme:

Homer Bailey
08-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Is it bad that I'm rooting against the Reds in hopes for a high draft pick?

Brutus
08-16-2009, 01:39 AM

I know I am, at this point. Normally I don't, but getting into one of the two worst records in baseball gets them into Bryce Harper or Strasburg territory. Granted, it could backfire if someone falls below the Nationals and take Strasburg No. 1, as the Nationals would get the next two picks and assuredly take Harper. But as long as the Reds are 1 or 2, they're in that range to get one or the other.

So if it is bad, you aren't alone.

LvJ
08-16-2009, 01:41 AM
I just realized how bad the Mets are. What in the world...

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2009, 01:58 AM
I don't know...Nats may still get Strasburg...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

Brutus
08-16-2009, 02:04 AM
I don't know...Nats may still get Strasburg...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4401500

Though it may be posturing, even Kasten says they "aren't close" despite the record deal. Take away the headline and nothing in the article really gives off the same impression there's much to be too optimistic about if you're a Nationals' fan.

I still would not be surprised if he did sign, but I don't get the impression it's even a likely chance. Boras seems hell bent on getting him "Daisuke" money.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2009, 02:10 AM
i don't know if i agree with you. the fact that the nats have offered more than $10M i think is a positive sign. that's more than any top pick has gotten ever (including prior).

obviously we don't know what the nats offered...but i think $20M would get it done. i don't know how close they are...but the nats need to get people in seats and this kid will do that for them. i guess there are a lot of wildcards here.

Brutus
08-16-2009, 02:21 AM
i don't know if i agree with you. the fact that the nats have offered more than $10M i think is a positive sign. that's more than any top pick has gotten ever (including prior).

obviously we don't know what the nats offered...but i think $20M would get it done. i don't know how close they are...but the nats need to get people in seats and this kid will do that for them. i guess there are a lot of wildcards here.

Problem is, Boras isn't looking for record high school money. He's said repeatedly (and I think he actually believes his own hype) that Strasburg should be paid money of an international free agent.

Matsuzaka was paid $52 over 6 with an extra $10 mil in signing and performance bonuses. Boras's mindset is not to look for record high school money but rather get paid in this kind of market.

Right now, if he's holding to those terms, a guaranteed contract and double-digit signing bonus is nowhere in his ballpark.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2009, 02:37 AM
i think he threw out $40M previously. and he ALWAYS throws out a number higher than he is expecting to get. i'm sure he would be thrilled to get $30M...but i think that's a far stretch. i think $20M is realistic...MAYBE $25M.

and if he doesn't sign this year, he's going to lose quite a bit of leverage for next year.

Brutus
08-16-2009, 02:43 AM
i think he threw out $40M previously. and he ALWAYS throws out a number higher than he is expecting to get. i'm sure he would be thrilled to get $30M...but i think that's a far stretch. i think $20M is realistic...MAYBE $25M.

and if he doesn't sign this year, he's going to lose quite a bit of leverage for next year.

I agree with that.

I do recall throwing out the $40 mil number. I believe he said "$40 or $50 mil" when referencing the type of contract Strasburg should get (relative to someone like Daisuke). I don't think even he expects to get that much, but I think he's trying to set a trend and make an example with this one.

That's the problem I have with this, and why I'm still skeptical. I think Kasten said it best when he inferred that Boras was trying to change the industry. I'm not sure this is about getting Strasburg money. I'm afraid he's trying to set yet another benchmark for how the industry deals with draft picks. Fortunately, if he succeeds, it might be the final nail in a hard cap for signing bonuses with regard to the Rule 4 draft.

fearofpopvol1
08-16-2009, 03:00 AM
I agree with that.

I do recall throwing out the $40 mil number. I believe he said "$40 or $50 mil" when referencing the type of contract Strasburg should get (relative to someone like Daisuke). I don't think even he expects to get that much, but I think he's trying to set a trend and make an example with this one.

That's the problem I have with this, and why I'm still skeptical. I think Kasten said it best when he inferred that Boras was trying to change the industry. I'm not sure this is about getting Strasburg money. I'm afraid he's trying to set yet another benchmark for how the industry deals with draft picks. Fortunately, if he succeeds, it might be the final nail in a hard cap for signing bonuses with regard to the Rule 4 draft.

Well, the one positive is that I think Strasburg truly is a rare talent. Not a lot of college pitchers can dial it up to 100+ and put up the kinds of numbers Strasburg has. So, if Strasburg is able to fetch "big money" and Boras has lauded him as a "once in a generation type player," how is Boras going to justify the same "big money" for players who aren't "once in a generation?"

HumnHilghtFreel
08-16-2009, 03:06 AM
I've stopped watching games because I have such a conflict of interest. At this point in the season, I really want them to go in the tank and get a better draft pick, but when I watch the games, I'm still thrilled at the minor successes, while I want them to lose. The life of a fan can be a confusing ordeal sometimes.

Topcat
08-16-2009, 04:54 AM
If Boras does not accept this offer then this kid got royally screwed . You have to be a moron not to realize how much cash this is and how this kids future is secure from day 1. Leave ego aside and do right by your client.

Highlifeman21
08-16-2009, 09:38 AM
If Boras does not accept this offer then this kid got royally screwed . You have to be a moron not to realize how much cash this is and how this kids future is secure from day 1. Leave ego aside and do right by your client.

What if the client believes the hype spewed by the agent?

westofyou
08-16-2009, 12:12 PM

Yep, it's bad karma.

I like my teams to back into situations like that, not kick the door down

cincrazy
08-16-2009, 04:31 PM
What if the client believes the hype spewed by the agent?

Exactly. I don't feel bad for Strasburg one bit. If he wanted he could go straight to Boras, say "You're out, pal" and get the deal done.

Tony Cloninger
08-16-2009, 04:40 PM
Tony Gwynn is someone that this guy has looked up and he was his manager....maybe he could/would talk some sense into him?

Brutus
08-16-2009, 05:19 PM
I can smell it in the air...

M2
08-17-2009, 10:33 AM
The Nats now have a better pythag than the Reds. Only the Padres and Royals are worse.

Though the Pirates have successfully purged themselves of almost all major league talent on the roster, positioning them for a sprint to the bottom.

traderumor
08-17-2009, 10:34 AM
The Nats now have a better pythag than the Reds. Only the Padres and Royals are worse.

Though the Pirates have successfully purged themselves of almost all major league talent on the roster, positioning them for a sprint to the bottom.They have joined forces in a three-legged race. When they play each other, we are going to call it a scrimmage.

Highlifeman21
08-18-2009, 02:40 PM
They have joined forces in a three-legged race. When they play each other, we are going to call it a scrimmage.

Or a split-squad game, given the "talent" on each of their respective rosters.

traderumor
08-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Now that Strasburg is signed, why is it that I am feeling that he will not have a memorable major league career? I guess it is because I just read the Matt Harrington story over on the minor league forum, and it seems that the likelihood of success is inversely related to the hype accompanying high priced pitching draft picks. From Mark Prior to Todd Van Poppel to everything in between.

I am sure there are 100 reasons that Strasburg is different and his Cooperstown bust has been commissioned, but having followed the game all these years, I'm thinking a different kind of bust is written all over this one.

Benihana
08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Now that Strasburg is signed, why is it that I am feeling that he will not have a memorable major league career? I guess it is because I just read the Matt Harrington story over on the minor league forum, and it seems that the likelihood of success is inversely related to the hype accompanying high priced pitching draft picks. From Mark Prior to Todd Van Poppel to everything in between.

I am sure there are 100 reasons that Strasburg is different and his Cooperstown bust has been commissioned, but having followed the game all these years, I'm thinking a different kind of bust is written all over this one.

Don't forget Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, Ryan Anderson, Matt White, and Matt Anderson.

fearofpopvol1
08-22-2009, 03:25 AM
if the season ended today, the reds would get the 6th overall pick. and not by much. as of right now...very much in the running for the 3rd overall pick.

i don't think realistically the reds will lose more games than the nats and i doubt they lose more than KC (though it's possible). but the 3rd pick...wow.

dougdirt
08-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Don't forget Brien Taylor, Ben McDonald, Ryan Anderson, Matt White, and Matt Anderson.

You didn't even drop in a Mark Prior either... Prior is a guy I see him having a career like. Absolutely dominant out of the shoot, but I don't think he will hold up in the long haul.

traderumor
08-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Yet folks still languish over not picking Lincecum (note to mods: we need an "opens can of worms" emoticon)

WebScorpion
08-23-2009, 02:47 AM
if the season ended today, the reds would get the 6th overall pick. and not by much. as of right now...very much in the running for the 3rd overall pick.

i don't think realistically the reds will lose more games than the nats and i doubt they lose more than KC (though it's possible). but the 3rd pick...wow.

We're up to the 5th pick now... just .002 behind San Diego. I didn't think it would get this bad either, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the number of injuries this team has sustained. :eek:

klw
08-23-2009, 09:26 AM
On July 4, the Reds improved to 40-39 after winning in St. Louis. The next day they fell to St. Louis 10-1 and the Philly-Cueto game was next. Since July 4, the Reds are 11-32.

On July 10 @ NY Mets the Reds won and went to 42-43. In the first inning the next day Jay Bruce broke his wrist. They have gone 9-29 with Bruce out.

On May 28 the Reds sat 26-20. they were 1 1/2 games from first with a 7 game trip to St. Louis and Milwaukee coming up. "We go on the road with some momentum," [Jay Bruce] said. "We plan on coming back in first place." The Reds have gone 25-51 since.

membengal
08-23-2009, 11:12 AM
I was at the July 3 and July 4 games (the 3rd was the Pujols 8th inning sadness), so I guess I can be happy I was at the last interesting set of games in GABP for 2009?

fearofpopvol1
08-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Reds' 2 game winning streak is messing up the race!

fearofpopvol1
09-07-2009, 03:07 AM
Reds are currently on pace for the 11th overall pick due to this hot streak. I'd say there's pretty much no possible way the Reds finish anything worse than 5th worst (or them getting the 5th overall pick next draft). Slots 5-11 are pretty wide open right now.

Where do you think the Reds will draft in the 1st round next year?

WebScorpion
09-07-2009, 04:22 AM
Where do you think the Reds will draft in the 1st round next year?

30th? lol! http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-laughing003.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

fearofpopvol1
09-10-2009, 02:08 AM
this race is ridiculous! you would think after losing 3 straight, the reds position would change some, but it really hasn't. what's amazing is how little separation between spots 6-11.

fearofpopvol1
09-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Currently sitting in 10th place. Hard to imagine the Reds could drop much lower than the 8th overall pick.