PDA

View Full Version : My Trek to Cincy

Bumstead
08-17-2009, 10:57 AM
Well...I made my annual trek to Cincy to see 'my' Reds 'play' this weekend...I was lucky enough to go to Saturday's game...over after the 3rd inning. Got to see 2 utility players on the left side of the infield and 2 5th OF's in the OF (Taveras and Nix). Got to see Nix play a ball that was hit into the corner...he waited to pick it up until it was 30 feet into fair territory...easy triple...on another hit into the corner with the bases loaded, Nix threw the ball to 2B where there was nobody to receive it...can he not see the cutoff man? I looked at our roster...we have a minimum of 3 5th OF's (Gomes, Nix, Taveras; we need 1! how about just keeping Gomes?) and Balentien who we need to find out how good he is...yet he wasn't playing either...at least Dickerson was playing and he had a good game...of course then he didn't play Sunday...Cueto has been burned out and was terrible; no walks but I really didn't notice much movement on his pitches (the velocity was there). Of course, he hit a batter as is the norm when I see him pitch; that probably resulted in Phillips getting hit later (another injury...hopefully ST). I got to see Janish take a walk on 4 pitches from Clippard only to watch Tatum come up and swing at the first two pitches he saw against a guy who can't throw strikes (airmailed 3 to the backstop during his great performance). What are we teaching these guys in the minors? We have a manager that is clueless on how to manage this team and a 'pitching' coach that is only there because he is Dusty's little friend...

On a positive note, I thought Dickerson played a great game and basically proved that he is the best OF we have on the active roster (with any future as a starter; unless Balentien awakens while sitting on the bench most days). Also, Danny Herrera was a lot of fun to watch pitch! He got through his IP with some excitement and a couple of baserunners but you gotta like him for his effort out there, especially after suffering through the rest of the team...

Oh, and I got to see an umpire that doesn't understand that he is supposed to be part of the background, not part of the show. On the 2nd bad call of the ball hitting the baserunner in fair territory while out of the batters box (Janish, he wasn't), the umpire glares into the dugout as he makes the call. hmmm another quality umpire in MLB.

All in all, $168 for 4 decent seats spent on a team that is in a word: horrible. I went to the gift shop and found a Ryan Freel Jersey ($300...), a gray tank top ($27), a MESH cap ($32), a red sweatshirt hoody ($54) and guess what I bought? NOTHING! What is wrong with this picture??? No team on the field; rising ticket prices; absurd prices in the gift shop...What are the Reds thinking? Why should I even go to the games if that is the product that is on the field and then to be gouged is just plain disgusting! I have preached patience on here but this is ridiculous.

Hire a manager that can manage this type of team...Dusty can't. Hire an actual pitching coach! Either rebuild completely or start spending some $$$$! You can't do it from the middle! Florida is not this bad every year! Why are we??? Enough is enough.

Sorry for the long post; I am a bit frustrated at this point.

Bum

PS: The Montgomery Inn was fantastic as usual!

Bumstead
08-17-2009, 11:51 AM
I should add that I live about an hour out of Chicago, so the one trip per year makes me more of a committed fan than if I lived in the Cincy area. Just sayin'!

traderumor
08-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm with ya, Bumstead. While some would say compartively the Reds ticket prices are fair, the costs at the ballgame are outrageous, from concessions to souveniers to game tickets. Of course, if you want to sit in the farthest reaches of the ballpark, there are $5 tickets, so they say. I couldn't help but look at Coco's bling as he entered the game, knowing he could care less what my family has to pay so the Reds can pay his contract.

Highlifeman21
08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm with ya, Bumstead. While some would say compartively the Reds ticket prices are fair, the costs at the ballgame are outrageous, from concessions to souveniers to game tickets. Of course, if you want to sit in the farthest reaches of the ballpark, there are $5 tickets, so they say. I couldn't help but look at Coco's bling as he entered the game, knowing he could care less what my family has to pay so the Reds can pay his contract.

Plus given the lack of attendance, moving down to better seats while only paying $5 to get in the house is a viable option.

Bumstead
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
True, but that is hard to predict when you buy tickets the day they go on sale...I guess I should just assume they are going to suck and buy cheap tickets??

WMR
08-17-2009, 12:23 PM
True, but that is hard to predict when you buy tickets the day they go on sale...I guess I should just assume they are going to suck and buy cheap tickets??

:lol:

Highlifeman21
08-17-2009, 01:03 PM

If you know when you're going to GABP then you can look at the opponent.

Stay away when the Cardinals, Cubs, Braves, Indians or any other big name interleague team comes to town. Those are the only series that have a chance to sell out.

Aside from that, buy a same day ticket.

No reason to plunk down bigger money for the current product on the field.

vaticanplum
08-17-2009, 04:54 PM
In all fairness, I don't think the Reds set the prices in the gift shop. You would have to fault MLB merchandising for those crazy numbers (and you should).

The rest, no argument!

acredsfan
08-17-2009, 05:00 PM
In all fairness, I don't think the Reds set the prices in the gift shop. You would have to fault MLB merchandising for those crazy numbers (and you should).

The rest, no argument!You are 100% correct with why prices are high in the gift shop.

However, I still blame the Cubs... It's more fun that way.

wally post
08-17-2009, 06:39 PM
You're a good fan, Bumstead, and I agree with you on all counts! Thanks for putting these feelings into words.

jojo
08-17-2009, 09:00 PM
All in all, $168 for 4 decent seats spent on a team that is in a word: horrible. I went to the gift shop and found a Ryan Freel Jersey ($300...), a gray tank top ($27), a MESH cap ($32), a red sweatshirt hoody ($54) and guess what I bought? NOTHING!

And this is the crux of the issue. The Reds have nailed every aspect of the business model except for one small detail....

They should be embarrassed that they took your $168.

Bumstead
08-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all of your responses. I see the same sentiments/feelings regarding the Reds in most of the posts that are out there right now. It seems like this team is going nowhere in the near future; I hope I am wrong.

Bum

durl
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I finally decided to not make a trip this year. I get too frustrated watching them on TV so I know I'd be even more disappointed after spending all that money to see them in person. I guess my early-to-mid season optimism has finally been dashed against the rocks of reality.