PDA

View Full Version : Tool shed

nate
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM
From (http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aba87466e-652c-4559-9560-04f7ad87b1ca&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com) Fay:

Baseball America's annual tools survey is out. Managers in each league are asked to rate the players in their league by skills. Here are Reds players on the lists:

National League
Best bunter
2. Willy Taveras (Juan Pierre was No. 1. Taveras started off badly this year. He's been better lately.)

Fastest baserunner
2. Willy Taveras (Michael Bourn was No. 1)

Best defensive second baseman
3. Brandon Phillips (Orlando Hudson and Chase Utley were 1, 2. I'd take Phillips over Utley. I haven't seen enough of Hudson).

Best outfield arm
2. Jay Bruce (Jeff Francoeur was No. 1. Bruce and Brad Hawpe tied for 2)

American League
Best defensive third baseman
3. Scott Rolen

International League
Best baserunner
Drew Stubbs (only one player is rated in the minors under each category, three are listed in the majors)

Best defensive outfielder
Drew Stubbs

Best outfield arm
Drew Stubbs

Southern League
Best changeup
Travis Wood

Best control
Travis Wood

Midwest League
Best defensive shortstop
Miguel Rojas

cumberlandreds
08-18-2009, 01:36 PM
To me it seems a certain outfielder in the International League should be getting playing time in the big leagues.

Nasty_Boy
08-18-2009, 01:44 PM
To me it seems a certain outfielder in the International League should be getting playing time in the big leagues.

Over the 2nd best bunter, and 2nd fastest baserunner? Have you lost your mind?!:D

Highlifeman21
08-18-2009, 01:45 PM

If he does, it sure as heck won't be in CF for the Reds.

fearofpopvol1
08-18-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought Wood's control wasn't all that great? Even though he had turned a corner this year?

traderumor
08-18-2009, 02:04 PM
Taveras is a crappy bunter. He rarely lays one down and beats it out and either can't or refuses to push one up the first base line, which would greatly increase the likelihood of bunting for a hit.

RichRed
08-18-2009, 02:06 PM
Taveras is a crappy bunter. He rarely lays one down and beats it out and either can't or refuses to push one up the first base line, which would greatly increase the likelihood of bunting for a hit.

He's not even good at the things he's good at.

traderumor
08-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Bronson Arroyo, Brandon Phillips and JHJ are all better, and that's just on the Reds (JHJ former Red). Reputation vote, pure and simple.

CarolinaRedleg
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Anyone think Dusty's going to cite these results in justifying Willy Patterson's spot?

Hap
08-18-2009, 02:12 PM

I agree...

...more often than not, he bunts it directly to a fielder......

Roy Tucker
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
That list must have been made by the Reds scouts that recommended WT.

lollipopcurve
08-18-2009, 02:39 PM

Not crappy, but not impressive, either. Given his success in the past, he's probably having something of an off year. Agree with the notion he can't push a bunt -- that's a glaring weakness. I also question how often he fakes the bunt when the pitch is a strike. Lately he's been better, but over the course of the year there have been an awful lot of easy plays for the defense.

cumberlandreds
08-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Over the 2nd best bunter, and 2nd fastest baserunner? Have you lost your mind?!:D

You are are right. How ignorant of me. Taveras is the savior and THE key piece of the puzzle to turn around this franchise. Now I'm back to reality. Thanks! :D

Brutus
08-18-2009, 02:58 PM

In my honest opinion, there's absolutely no reason to start the arbitration clock, at this point. Let him get everyday at-bats in AAA and save the service time.

nate
08-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I wonder what the rest of the list looks like? Fay didn't link to it.

Caveat Emperor
08-18-2009, 03:02 PM
That list must have been made by the Reds scouts that recommended WT.

Many thigns bother me about Willy Taveras, but I think what's been hardest to swallow is that he's actually worse than I expected -- and by several orders of magnitude. I knew he'd be bad, but not on-pace-to-set-career-lows-in-every-stat-worth-looking-at bad.

That just really adds a kick in the junk to an already miserable situation.

Cyclone792
08-18-2009, 03:03 PM
In my honest opinion, there's absolutely no reason to start the arbitration clock, at this point. Let him get everyday at-bats in AAA and save the service time.

It all depends on if the Reds plan on bringing him up for Opening Day. If they do think Stubbs will be on the roster next Opening Day, then they really should bring him up in September.

The service time clock doesn't matter if it's September 1, 2009 or early April 2010. In order for the clock to matter and to prevent Super 2 status, the Reds would have to keep Stubbs off the roster until late May 2010 (ala Jay Bruce in 2008).

nate
08-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Many thigns bother me about Willy Taveras, but I think what's been hardest to swallow is that he's actually worse than I expected -- and by several orders of magnitude. I knew he'd be bad, but not on-pace-to-set-career-lows-in-every-stat-worth-looking-at bad.

That just really adds a kick in the junk to an already miserable situation.

That's where I'm at.

Actually, a kick in the junk is soothing compared to watching Willy T play ball.

M2
08-18-2009, 03:07 PM

He wouldn't be burning any service time with a September promotion. It wouldn't burn an option either.

He's got to play roughly 2/3 of a season before he qualifies for an arbitration year.

IMO the larger problem is expecting much of a boost for a bottom-of-the-barrel offense from an OF with a .713 OPS in AAA.

Johnny Footstool
08-18-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote of the year.

nate
08-18-2009, 03:19 PM
He wouldn't be burning any service time with a September promotion. It wouldn't burn an option either.

He's got to play roughly 2/3 of a season before he qualifies for an arbitration year.

IMO the larger problem is expecting much of a boost for a bottom-of-the-barrel offense from an OF with a .713 OPS in AAA.

Unfortunately, that _would_ be a boost.

Chip R
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
I think we should take Willy out to the tool shed and leave him there.