PDA

View Full Version : Great story from Miami Hurricanes

Puffy
08-18-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/sfl-hyde-um-chris-hayes-s081609sbaug16,0,6580155.column

Highlifeman21
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Thanks for posting, powerful stuff.

KoryMac5
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
Hats off to the Canes and Coach Shannon.

RFS62
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Beautiful story

Thanks, Puffmeister.

Joseph
08-18-2009, 09:07 PM
More stories should be about that kind of stuff instead of the dreck we normally get.

Puffy
08-19-2009, 12:32 PM
I don't know what kind of coach Randy Shannon turns out to be (he seems to be only a decent to slightly better than decent recruiter - although winning will help with those South Florida kids) but as a person and as a mentor to the former "Convicts" I don't think there can be a better man for that team.

College football is more fun when the giants like Miami and Notre Dame and Florida State are good. Here's hoping they all get good again!

15fan
08-19-2009, 12:41 PM
College football is more fun when the giants like Miami and Notre Dame and Florida State are good. Here's hoping they all get good again!

I completely disagree.

Those dogs have had more than their fair share of days in the sun. If there's someone out there who can build a better team / progam, I'm all for it.

Joseph
08-19-2009, 01:17 PM
I completely disagree.

Those dogs have had more than their fair share of days in the sun. If there's someone out there who can build a better team / progam, I'm all for it.

I think he's right.

College basketball is better when UK, Duke, Carolina, and UCLA are good.

College football is better when Miami, ND, FSU, USC are good.

MLB is better when the Yankees, Cards, Reds, Dodgers are good.

the NFL is better when the Packers, Cowboys, Steelers [bleh] and Raiders are good.

Some teams are just 'above' the others in the pecking order. People can root for or against them depending on their preference. When the Marlins are winning, not as many care. When the Rams are winning, not as many care. Boise State has been an interesting story at times in college football, but it ain't the same as when those Golden Domers are on top.

IslandRed
08-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Well, obviously, I think college football is better when Florida State is good. :cool:

Having said that, a couple dozen schools think of themselves as giants and they can't all be great at the same time. When the Florida schools were trading national championships in the '90s, traditional powers like USC, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia and LSU weren't doing much. Now they're winning big and it's FSU, Miami, Nebraska, Michigan, Tennessee etc. trying to get back up there.

Some teams are just 'above' the others in the pecking order.

I think the perception of the pecking order is very generational and a little bit regional. To kids still in school, FSU is just another team that used to be good; to someone my dad's age, they're a Johnny-come-lately.

VR
08-20-2009, 11:11 PM
Great story.